From Variety.com:

MARCH 6, 2015 | 01:00PM PT
Elizabeth Wagmeister
@EWagmeister

“Supergirl” has finally arrived.

The first photos of Melissa Benoist as Supergirl were released Friday, just as production begins on the CBS pilot, which is based on characters from DC Comics.

The costume (pictured) was designed by three-time Oscar winner Colleen Atwood, who also designed the suits for two other DC Comics television properties, “The Flash” and “Arrow” of the CW.

Atwood, who’s been nominated for Academy Awards an additional eight times, was also the costume designer behind “Into the Woods,” “Snow White and the Huntsman,” “Alice in Wonderland,” “Memoirs of a Geisha” and “Chicago,” among others.

“Supergirl,” in contention for the 2015-16 season, follows Kara Danvers/Kara Zor-El (Benoist, “Glee,” “Whiplash”), Superman’s cousin, at age 24, when she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be, after leaving Krypton and hiding her powers.

Other series regulars include Calista Flockhart (“Ally McBeal,” “Brothers & Sisters”), who will play Kara’s tough boss at CatCo, Cat Grant; Mehcad Brooks (“Desparate Housewives,” “True Blood”), who will co-star as Kara’s love interest, Jimmy Olsen; Chyler Leigh (“Grey’s Anatomy”), who’s been cast as Kara’s doctor sister, Alex Danvers; and David Harewood (“Homeland”), as supervillain Hank Henshaw, better known as Cyborg Superman in the DC Comics world.

Laura Benanti will appear in a major recurring arc, playing Kara’s birth mother, Alura Zor-El.

Helen Slater, who starred in the 1984 “Supergirl” feature, and Superman vet Dean Cain (“Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman”) are set for secret roles.

The project hails from exec producers and writers Greg Berlanti (“The Flash,” “Arrow”), Ali Adler and Andrew Kreisberg. Sarah Schechter will also serve as an exec producer, and Glen Winter will direct the pilot. Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television will produce.

Views: 6089

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERGIRL #1:

Oftentimes, when one of “my shows” goes on summer or mid-season hiatus, I fill the gap with a related reading project. I had been considering reading two volumes of Supergirl Archives, but yesterday I decided to give the new Supergirl tie-in comic book series a try. I very seldom ever read comics based on TV or movies (even TV or movies based, in turn, on comics), and having tried, seldom like. I gave the comic book based on the Flash TV show a wide berth, for example, simply because I didn’t like the title. They called it “Season Zero” which, to my way of counting, should come before Season One, yet it clearly took place during season one. But I digress. The Adventures of Supergirl clearly tells interstitial stories, but has avoided the “zero” misnomer.

Usually in comics like this (such as the recent launch of the new Lost in Space comic book series), I will point out that the success of such an endeavor lies (not wholly, but at least partially) upon accurate depictions of the actors who play the characters on TV. That is not the case here. The interior art (by an artist who goes by the single name “Bengal”) is refreshingly light, yet not entirely realistic. (Her costume is colored light blue like the comics, not dark blue as on TV.) The interior art is offset by the stunningly accurate depiction of Melissa Benoist on the cover.

The story, by Sterling Gates…

Oh, forget it! Here’s the press release Cap posted in this week’s “Comics Guide”:

BURBANK, Calif. (March 17, 2016) – Due to popular demand, DC Entertainment will now be offering The Adventures of Supergirl as a limited-run six-issue periodical, prior to the collected edition release this fall.The Adventures of Supergirl will now ship twice monthly for three months, beginning with The Adventures of Supergirl #1 (collecting Digital First chapters 1-3) on May 11th, 2016.

The Adventures of Supergirl is a Digital First comic book series that launched online in January 2016, inspired by the CBS hit TV series SUPERGIRL. Critically acclaimed series writer Sterling Gates is joined by a cast of rotating artists including Bengal, Jonboy Meyers, Pop Mhan, Emanuela Lupacchino, Carmen Carnero, Cat Staggs and Emma Vieceli.

"The Adventures of Supergirl is a fun, accessible, exciting comic featuring an optimistic and positive heroine going up against some huge threats," Gates told NEWSARAMA in a recent interview. "There are so few books like that in the current comics marketplace, in my opinion, and given the show's popularity, Supergirl should be leading that charge."

Paralleling but not duplicating storylines from the Monday night TV show, The Adventures of Supergirl introduces fans to Kara Zor-El, who is determined to grow into the super-hero her powers promise. But are dark forces pushing her to improve faster than is safe? As Supergirl faces classic DCU villains like Rampage, Vril Dox and Psi, she's got no reason to suspect that their attacks have been coordinated, but when the final battle comes to a head, she'll need to use all of her training, her DEO contacts, her friends' talents and her sister's love and support to get through it all!

"I just want to thank all the #Supergirl fans for their continued support,” said Gates. “The response to Adventures has been tremendous so far, and I want to thank people for spreading the word about us.
"I also wanted to say that I’m beyond thrilled to be writing this book. Supergirl’s one of my favorite characters, and I’m always so excited to write a Supergirl story. I’ve hoped for years that I’d eventually make my way back to the character again."

Check out the first four covers by Cat Staggs, two of which make their debut today, with two more to come! Look for The Adventures of Supergirl both online now and soon in your local comic book shop.
The Adventures of Supergirl digital chapters are available for download bi-weekly on Monday via the DC Comics App, Readdcentertainment.com, iBooks, comiXology.com, Google Play, Kindle Store, Nook Store, and iVerse ComicsPlus.

I've read a few of the Supergirl installments on digital -- I've liked 'em a lot! 

Thanks for mentioning that, I was unaware of it. I checked out the artwork online, and it looks interesting.

Like you, I don't pay much attention to the TV tie-in comics. I did read the Season 11 series of Smallville, written by the showrunners, and It was pretty good. They definitely had the speech patterns down, and the likenesses weren't too bad, varying by artists. The best part was that as a comic, they had an unlimited special effects budget and access to the DCU, so they could bring in Batman, WW and others, which really did expand on what the show.

-- MSA

How much would it have cost the Watchmen movie to have added the giant squid sequence?

I read the first couple of issues of Smallville: Season 11. I think, someday, after I've re-watched the Smallville TV series from start to finish, I may decide to read the comic book series via tpb. Right now, with shows such as Supergirl, Flash and Gotham on the air, I haven't been to the mood to go back and re-watch Smallville.

Ronald Morgan said:

How much would it have cost the Watchmen movie to have added the giant squid sequence?

I think it was more of an artistic choice than a cost issue. Explaining all of the elements involved in creating a believable alien monster (cloning, teleporting, etc) would have eaten up a lot of time and have stretched credibility for the non-comic-readers. I still prefer the Alan Moore version, but they did as good a job as anyone could expect on the movie version. I don't think they group in the movie should have actually called themselves The Watchmen, but that's a quibble. Poor marketing and a March release date definitely worked against it. Since the Deadpool movie was rated R and made tons of money, today Watchmen would probably do a lot better with an R-rating, which they could have easily gotten if they wanted.

Finally, news! The show's been renewed, but will move to the CW.

Yay!

Now -- how will they excise the "parallel Earth" bit from "World's Finest" so Supergirl can cross over with Flash, Arrow and Vixen regularly? A dream? A hoax? Just ignore it?

Ditto yay!

I think they still need the parallel Earths, or they've got to keep explaining away Supergirl AND Superman. Explaining where GA or Flash is when the other is facing a world-shattering disaster (say, a black hole) is easy enough, but explaining away the two Els is a problem. There are only so many space missions!

Plus, Flash and GA cross over easily because they're both filmed in Vancouver, so they can drop in on each other, whereas Supergirl is filmed in L.A. So I think they'll want a little plausible distance. 

Even so, it makes crossovers more likely if they're promoting other network shows! Now the question is: Where does it fit in the schedule? Do they bite the bullet and create a Superhero Night?

-- MSA

Excellent news!

Mr. Silver Age said:

I think they still need the parallel Earths, or they've got to keep explaining away Supergirl AND Superman. Explaining where GA or Flash is when the other is facing a world-shattering disaster (say, a black hole) is easy enough, but explaining away the two Els is a problem. There are only so many space missions!

I totally agree. It's hard to explain why the Supers don't put all of the other heroes out of work in the comics. The parallel earth solves the problem and still allows for occasional crossovers.

Plus, Flash and GA cross over easily because they're both filmed in Vancouver, so they can drop in on each other, whereas Supergirl is filmed in L.A. So I think they'll want a little plausible distance.

I wonder if they will move production to Vancouver also, to help with the costs?

Now the question is: Where does it fit in the schedule? Do they bite the bullet and create a Superhero Night?

The CW show Reign, which has the first Monday programming slot currently has been renewed. They'll have to shuffle things somehow. It may be time for The CW (and FOX) to change their two-hour prime time model to three hours. Virtually all of their shows have been renewed, so they must be profitable.

This reminds me of what happened to the Bionic Woman.

Maybe the gods of TV will smile and the Berlanti production company will take over Supergirl. They do super-stuff so much better!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service