From Variety.com:

MARCH 6, 2015 | 01:00PM PT
Elizabeth Wagmeister
@EWagmeister

“Supergirl” has finally arrived.

The first photos of Melissa Benoist as Supergirl were released Friday, just as production begins on the CBS pilot, which is based on characters from DC Comics.

The costume (pictured) was designed by three-time Oscar winner Colleen Atwood, who also designed the suits for two other DC Comics television properties, “The Flash” and “Arrow” of the CW.

Atwood, who’s been nominated for Academy Awards an additional eight times, was also the costume designer behind “Into the Woods,” “Snow White and the Huntsman,” “Alice in Wonderland,” “Memoirs of a Geisha” and “Chicago,” among others.

“Supergirl,” in contention for the 2015-16 season, follows Kara Danvers/Kara Zor-El (Benoist, “Glee,” “Whiplash”), Superman’s cousin, at age 24, when she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be, after leaving Krypton and hiding her powers.

Other series regulars include Calista Flockhart (“Ally McBeal,” “Brothers & Sisters”), who will play Kara’s tough boss at CatCo, Cat Grant; Mehcad Brooks (“Desparate Housewives,” “True Blood”), who will co-star as Kara’s love interest, Jimmy Olsen; Chyler Leigh (“Grey’s Anatomy”), who’s been cast as Kara’s doctor sister, Alex Danvers; and David Harewood (“Homeland”), as supervillain Hank Henshaw, better known as Cyborg Superman in the DC Comics world.

Laura Benanti will appear in a major recurring arc, playing Kara’s birth mother, Alura Zor-El.

Helen Slater, who starred in the 1984 “Supergirl” feature, and Superman vet Dean Cain (“Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman”) are set for secret roles.

The project hails from exec producers and writers Greg Berlanti (“The Flash,” “Arrow”), Ali Adler and Andrew Kreisberg. Sarah Schechter will also serve as an exec producer, and Glen Winter will direct the pilot. Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television will produce.

Views: 6089

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have, with delight, changed the title of this thread to "Supergirl - Season One"

Wonder Woman survived the move from one network to another, but at the cost of her setting and supporting cast (except Steve, who they finally gave the boot to at the end of the last season.) So it could be done, but a lot could get dropped or changed in the move.

I've been watching Superman on ME-TV and I'm not seeing his ducking flying guns. Either it didn't happen that often or they're making a lot of edits. I know they definitely cut out the infamous "I look like Superman, why don't I sound like Superman?"

Ronald Morgan said:

I've been watching Superman on ME-TV and I'm not seeing his ducking flying guns. Either it didn't happen that often . . . .

It happened once.  Just once.  (Sigh.)

Odd what's remembered. You'd think something that only happened once would have been forgotten. I would have thought it happened quite a few times during the "bad years" (like the cowboy that kept saying he was going to shoot Jimmy.)

Not going to watch the whole series again to see, but I've heard the Lost in Space robot said "Danger, Will Robinson" only once. In the episodes I've seen lately he says "Warning" not "Danger."

I'd forgotten that Wonder Woman had done it as well.  The thing I remember about the Bionic Woman was that the Oscar Goldman character was showing up on two networks at the same time because the Six Million Dollar Man was still going on too.

For the last two seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer it had moved from the WB Network to the UPN Network. When Buffy was "killed" (she got better), Alyson Hannigan's character Willow showed up on the Angel show to tell Buffy's former lover Angel that "she died" or "she's gone." Buffy's name was not mentioned.

Mr. Silver Age said:

Plus, Flash and GA cross over easily because they're both filmed in Vancouver, so they can drop in on each other, whereas Supergirl is filmed in L.A. So I think they'll want a little plausible distance.

Richard Willis said:

I wonder if they will move production to Vancouver also, to help with the costs?

They most definitely will move production to Vancouver to bring the costs down. But the switch to the CW was because moving to Vancouver wasn't projected to lower the costs enough, relative to the ratings the show is getting.

However, although Callista Flockhart was adamant about being in Los Angeles when she signed up for the series, she is sticking with the show.

I think Callista is enjoying the part.

Ronald Morgan said:

How much would it have cost the Watchmen movie to have added the giant squid sequence?

Richard Willis said:

I think it was more of an artistic choice than a cost issue. Explaining all of the elements involved in creating a believable alien monster (cloning, teleporting, etc) would have eaten up a lot of time and have stretched credibility for the non-comic-readers.

I seriously doubt the movie makers would have bothered explaining any of the elements involved in creating a believeable alien monster; after all, the comic didn't. I agree that not using the giant squid was likely an artistic choice. But I prefer the movie ending better.

I think a fake giant squid would be enough to unify the world against a common enemy for only a short time. Even when Galactus came to Earth the first time, the Daily Bugle's headline the next day called it a hoax.

But the looming threat of Dr. Manhattan? After we've been shown throughout the movie just how much of a threat he possibly is? That worked a whole lot better for me.

Supergirl will be on Mondays in its original time slot.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/19/cw-fall-schedule

Good news! 

Looks like we've got superheroes night after night on the CW -- Supergirl on Monday, Flash on Tuesday, Arrow on Wednesday, and Legends of Tomorrow on Thursday. 

...which mean the end of the big crossover will probably be on LoT.... the weakest show of the bunch. I hope it steps up!

That makes sense, giving them a superhero show on four nights (and leading into Jane the Virgin). iZombie made a good pairing with Flash, I thought. I'd guess Riverdale will go into Friday with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I'm suddenly watching a lot of CW shows.

I don't know how much Supergirl was hurt being on against Gotham. Obviously it's two superhero shows, but they're very different and probably attracted significantly different parts of the comics audience.

I agree, I'm just getting into LOT, and it's not holding up as well as I hoped. Maybe there are too many characters and not enough for them to do besides meet themselves and disrupt the timeline.

-- MSA

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service