After being cancelled in 1972, the Teen Titans made a couple of appearances in Brave & Bold as its members went their separate ways. However during the 52 and 100 Pagers, several of their stories were reprinted, most with that gorgeous Nick Cardy art. After sales and letters of DC Super-Star #1 and Super Team Family #1 and #7 came in, DC was convinced to give the Fab More-Than-Four another shot, reviving the series with #44 (N'76).

They reunited Robin, Kid Flash, Wonder GirlSpeedy and Mal, supposedly not seeing each for two years. And not being with Speedy since his drug addiction from Green Lantern/Green Arrow #85-86 (S-N'71), despite their early 70s Teen Titans and B&B adventures! Kid Flash and Speedy immediately start rutting as soon as they see Wonder Girl who plays along. Mal is upset that he's been tending to the Titans HQ all by himself even though he volunteered to do so! He namedrops Lilith, Gnarrk, Hawk and Dove as "whatever Happened To...".

But their reunion was all a trap by DOCTOR LIGHT whose weaponry (and dumb luck, to be honest) allows him to capture Robin and Wonder Girl and escape. This causes the other three to snipe at each other and split up.

Doctor Light tortures them to get the coordinates of the Justice League Satellite (of Love) so he can destroy it with a giant, orbiting magnifying glass (no, seriously!) then captures Kid Flash and Speedy separately, gathers them up and polishes off the Flash way too quickly.

Mal, angry about being left behind, goes through the other Titans' trophy cases and gets a super-strength giving exo-skeleton (from Batman #192) and the costume, helmet and shield of the Golden Age Guardian, thus becoming the Guardian II (or III, depending on the Golden Guardian from Jimmy Olsen). He flies the Titans' mini-rocket to the JLA Satellite, distracts Doctor Light, frees the other Titans and saves the day. The Titans decide to stay together!

The story was uneven and the art was rough. No one looked good here. Kid Flash and Speedy were more concerned about scoring with Wonder Girl, Wonder Girl keeps forgetting that she has super-strength, no way Robin tells any of this to Batman and Mal...

Well, I liked Mal as Guardian but it took him two years to realize that he needed to step up his game to hang with the Titans? Really?

Mister Jupiter gets referenced but Aqualad does NOT! 

The text page was interesting as it mentions Beast Boy though he wasn't a member. And hints that Hawk & Dove may have retired.

Next: Just Call Me Angel of the Mourning! OR Blow It Out Your Ear!

Views: 3192

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wolfman did write such a history.  I believe it was in 1989's Secret Origins Annual #3, which also reintroduced Bette Kane as Flamebird and Mal as Herald.  IIRC it involved some trauma and ideological difference from the Titans killing a demon child at some late point of the first run.

Gnarrk was retconned into a single history, also from 1989.  New Titans #56.  The events don't seem to me to fit with previous continuity, though.  To the best of my memory, Mal and Karen turned up shortly after in #59 but we did not learn a whole lot about them.

Was anyone suspicious why so many famous and recognizable people were at an “average” teenager’s high school graduation?   Famous reporter/newscaster Clark Kent, millionaire/billionaire Bruce Wayne and his ward Dick Grayson,  Ralph & Sue Dibny, Roy Harper, ward of former millionaire Oliver Queen, Dexter Myles, and Mal Duncan who hung around with the Teen Titans.  No one asked “Why are all these people here to celebrate Wally’s graduation?”  The local small town newspaper didn’t get all excited?   National newscasters and billionaires drop in everyday?

And Elongated Man was a member of the Justice League by then.  Yep, happens all the time here in Blue Valley.

It's more likely that folks in Central City may not know who Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne are which would go for Roy Harper and Mal Duncan as well. 

Now if Aqualad is letting people know who he is, then you got me!

But by the 70s, Ralph Dibny knew that Barry Allen was the Flash (but not Sue at this point) so a "public" friendship could have been shown.

It was worse for Ray Palmer and Jean Loring's wedding since not only was Clark, Bruce and Ralph there but so was Aquaman and Mera! Plus you had Red Tornado, the Phantom Stranger (who danced all night with Jean's Aunt Bessie) and Solovar, the King of Gorilla City (who brought back with him the concepts of the "open bar" and the "Funky Chicken"!).

Dexter Myles is easy to explain.  He is the curator of the Flash Museum, Wally was the president of a Flash fan club when he met his uncle.  Odds are that Wally and Dexter go back a longer way than Wally and Barry do.

The Titans are harder to explain, but it is workable.  Most of them are fairly incognito and, being close to Wally's own age, may at a glance be presented as his friends from Central City or (in Mal's case) Gotham City.  Or you may just say that they all met at Gabriel's Horn, which is in fact true even if not decisive.

But it is a stretch.  If Blue Valley is the small city that it is shown to be, someone would be curious about those friends that somehow are never seen with Wally and have no willingness to share any of their lives with the locals.

You could make a case for explaining Bruce's presence by way of Dick's own.  But at this point we have to ask how come Bruce and Clark are together so often despite not even having any social circle in common.

To further complicate things up, Atom's marriage in Justice League of America #157 happened just about four months later and had many of the same people attenting.

If I had to explain that from an in character perspective, I would probably sigh and try to come up with some cover history of most of them being in a club of some sort.  But as cover stories go, that is soap bubble thin.  At the very least, both Ralph and Bruce are celebrities, and Clark is a well known TV anchorman at this point.  Reporters would ask where they met and why they are together so often.

Do you know when Sue learned that Barry is the Flash?

Philip Portelli said:

It's more likely that folks in Central City may not know who Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne are which would go for Roy Harper and Mal Duncan as well. 

But by the 70s, Ralph Dibny knew that Barry Allen was the Flash (but not Sue at this point) so a "public" friendship could have been shown.

It was worse for Ray Palmer and Jean Loring's wedding since not only was Clark, Bruce and Ralph there but so was Aquaman and Mera! Plus you had Red Tornado, the Phantom Stranger (who danced all night with Jean's Aunt Bessie) and Solovar, the King of Gorilla City (who brought back with him the concepts of the "open bar" and the "Funky Chicken"!).

Dexter Myles makes some sense, given the Flash Fan Club connection.  The rest are still tricky.   We had tabloids back in 1978.  Bad boy Roy Harper would be followed everywhere by paparazzi, as might Dick Grayson, and how did a small town kid from Nebraska ever find time to hang out at a disco on Long Island and become part of that crowd?  I’m sure the tabloids would be all over trying to find out who this hanger-on (Mal) was with the Titans.  He would be a public figure with no privacy.

Clark was an anchor for GBS flagship station, WGBS, but I assume he still had national exposure, especially if WGBS was part of a cable package.  But it’s possible he might not be recognized.  

Bruce and Ralph, impossible.

I don’t know if this is canon but

(some quick notes, Sioux City is in Iowa, I’ve lived in SD for the past three years and in NE for the 20 before that.)

Blue Valley is not that big (40,000).  I don't know if Bruce was a billionaire at this point, but if Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos showed up at a high school graduation in NE, people would notice and ask questions.  I’d bet they’d ask questions if Warren Buffet showed up and he only lives just down the interstate from Blue Valley in Omaha.

Ralph is a superhero!  The paparazzi would be everywhere.  It’s as if LeBron James just happened to show up.  Maybe you could say he knows Barry West from working together on a case In Central City—Barry is a police scientist, but there would be question (and a mob).

I’m not concerned what questions the characters might ask, I’m concerned about the average resident of Blue Valley at the graduation ceremony.  People will be curious.

Of course, we aren’t supposed to think about that—superhero comics fall apart pretty quickly if we think too deeply.  I’m cool with sitting back and enjoying the Easter eggs.  That’s really the point.

There's no exact moment, at least none that I know. Sue definitely didn't know in Justice League of America #157 (Au'78) but she does know by JLA #194 (S'81) so I'm assuming that she was told after Iris Allen's death.

Both issues, btw, were written by Gerry Conway.

Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas said:

Do you know when Sue learned that Barry is the Flash?

Philip Portelli said:

Dave, if we go along with Blue Valley being in Nebraska (and I do have a copy of the DC Atlas), Secret Origins #30 (S'88) establishes that Ralph was born and raised in Waymore, Nebraska so he's a fellow Mid-Westerner and may not have been that big a deal to the local press. 

Also Bruce and Clark may have "snuck in" to avoid publicity as if Wally West's graduation party would have been a news story in any case!

Opps, make that “Barry Allen” not “Barry West.”

Amazingly, this thread has gotten over 100 responses and over 1000 views! 

Thank you all for reading along and your insights!

Of course, if Ralph could have dodged the paparazzi, he could always mold his face a bit and be incognito.

Small story.  I grew up in NY.  My father and step mother were out for a visit to NE many years ago.  We were at a dedication for a new park for something to do.  I pointed to a man standing off a ways all by himself and asked my father, “Do you want to go meet the governor.”  He said, “You can’t do that.”  Maybe not in NY, but in NE you can.  I can’t imagine as a kid being able to go up to Gov. Rockefeller and saying hello.  We didn’t.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service