It has been five months since I bought The Adventures of Tintin Complete Collection box set, but I’ve only just started reading it. The delay was due to the first story, “TINTIN IN THE LAND OF THE SOVIETS” (first serialized 1929-30). Hergé‘s style is simple, here it looks rough. (It reminded me a bit of Art Spiegelman’s Maus.) Hergé himself must not have cared for it, either, because he blocked its publication until 1973. It was colorized in 2017, but is presented here in the original black & white. Now that I’ve read that first story I intend to read the rest, so I thought I’d start a discussion here. (Who knows? I may even stick to it.) We have already determined (in “Your Favorite Things of the Year” when I first posted about it in October) that the controversial “Tintin in the Congo” is not included in the set, so next up is “Tintin in America.”

Views: 348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes. Recurring characters?

For now, I'll just say that you will see more of them'

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Yes. Recurring characters?

Two of the elements of the Tintin stories that I enjoy are the continuity and the gradual maturation of all elements - characterization, storytelling, drawing.

Both Congo and America have Hergé still finding his footing.  We are a long way still from the work that he shows in most of his books.  As time went on, the stories grew considerably more nuanced and ellegant, and an impressive array of regular and returning characters would build up.

I'd be curious to see a complete list of the titles you have, and the order you intend to read them in.

I for one did not read them in chronological order (the two "moon" books were my first, and quite good they were, too), but I would recommend trying the chronological sequence if you can.

Or maybe you will want to begin with "Cigars of the Pharaoh", the fourth book overall.  The hurdles are not all ironed out at that point, but we are well on our way to reaching that point.

If you want to start already with the classic taste of a Tintin story, I would recommend "The Black Island", the seventh book.  The overall style of the books is remarkably consistent from that book up until "Flight 714 to Sydney", at least. 

“I'd be curious to see a complete list of the titles you have, and the order you intend to read them in.”

Ask and ye shall receive.

The Blue Lotus
The Broken Ear
The Black Island
King Ottokar’s Sceptre
The Crab with the Golden Claws
The Shooting Star
The Secret of the Unicorn
Red Rackham’s Treasure
The Seven Crystal Balls
Prisoners of the Sun
Land of the Black Gold
Destination Moon
Explorers on the Moon
The Calculus Affair
The Red Sea Sharks
Tintin in Tibet
The Castafiore Emerald
Flight 714 to Sydney
Tintin and the Picaros
Tintitn and Alph-Art

I may well pick up my pace reading these. I’m currently reading a couple of other things, including Walt Simonson’s Orion which, surprisingly, has turned into something of a slog. Once that’s out of the way, I’ll be able to alternate Tintin with Dark Shadows paperbacks.

On another note, Tracy remembers watching an animated version of Tintin, apparently a French/Canadian production. It’s available online and she said she wouldn’t mind seeing it again.

Interesting "Tintin and Alph-Art" is the only one of those I've never seen.

Apparently it's one he was working on when he died...? (This collection has no introductory material to put the stories in context, so I'm grateful for this discussion.) It is presented as script on the left side of the page, rough layouts on the right.

That's right, he died while he was making it.

...I recall ~ I think ~ one prose Tintin novel published post-Herge that I read (I might even be conflating two). It involves Tintin and the Captain (Spoiler Warning!), IIRC, going to a hidden valley in South America ~ where Tintin eats a mystic flower and has visions. No, really!

Hi, Emerkeith.  You may be recalling "Prisoners of the Sun".  It resolves the plot of the previous book, "The Seven Crystal Balls".

Tintin has appeared elsewhere, including in two mainly prose stories (with a few assorted phtographs of actors performing the parts).  It is possible that you are recalling "Tintin and the Blue Apples", which is one of those.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...I recall ~ I think ~ one prose Tintin novel published post-Herge that I read (I might even be conflating two). It involves Tintin and the Captain (Spoiler Warning!), IIRC, going to a hidden valley in South America ~ where Tintin eats a mystic flower and has visions. No, really!

I believe you may be thinking of "Tintin in the New World".

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service