SPOILER-REE!

SPOILER-ROH!

SPOILER-RAH!
SPOILER-RAH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

SPOILERS! D'YE GET IT? SPOILERS!

SPOILLLLERS!

YOU! BEHIND THE BIKE SHED! STAND STILL, LADDIE!

Views: 703

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I finally got my copy of Amazing Spider-Man #700. Some thoughts:

The last issue of Amazing Spider-Man I bought was #600. The last one before that was #500. For me, Spider-Man is like an old friend I've drifted away from because we have little in common any more, but I'm willing to check in on every once in a while.

• Nice, succinct recap of what has gone before (basically, Peter's mind is in Doc Ock's body, and vice versa). 'Preciate it.
  • Um, but wasn't Doc Ock in a dying, decrepit state in Amazing Spider-Man #600? What's wrong with him? And why did it take THAT long for him to kick the bucket?
  • This is what passes for professional comics art these days? Oy vey!
  • Interesting how Octavius was caught short by J. Jonah Jameson declaring on television he is and has always been a loser.
  • I liked the chase, wondering all the while how Peter was going to pull the rabbit out of the hat and -- wait a minute! He DOESN'T pull the rabbit out of the hat?! He DIES???
  • So now Peter Parker is dead in the mainstream Marvel Universe and the Ultimates Universe? Doesn't anybody over there see how wrong that is? That's as wrong as, well, today's readers never seeing the original Batman and Robin team in action.

So Octavius is now in Peter's body for ... how long? It's an interesting idea, for a graphic novel or a miniseries. For something to hang an ongoing series on, I'm more skeptical; I can't see Octavius keeping up the impersonation for very long, and I wouldn't care to watch it unfold anyway. Call me when it's time for Amazing Spider-Man #800.

Dan Slott said on Word Balloon last week, [paraphrase] "You guys think you know what's going on, but just wait until Superior Spider-Man #2, and you'll see just how wrong you are." His tone all but said we'll find out that Peter is still alive in some form or another.

As if that was a hard thing to predict.

I honestly think in an arc or two, the story will become something akin to The Return of Bruce Wayne, where it just turns into "How will Peter come back?"

Well, the way Marvel and DC play it with everything else, he could be totally dead today and buried, and then jumping around in the red and blue suit in a year's time anyway, so looking for clues and tip-offs in current comics is beside the point.

It is hard for them to do stuff like this in the internet age, but at the same time, I'd rather see some 'playing fair' with their readers.

I wouldn't be fussed on sharing a pint with too many of Spider-man's gallery of foes.  They are an unsavoury lot, generally, but Doc Ock surely has to be the least charismatic, likeable or relatable of any of them.  He's just a grumpy humourless monster.  As someone said above, the movie Doc Ock, played by Alfred Molina, was the only time he seemed at all sympathetic or human.

Maybe the new Superior Spider-man isn't Doc Ock at all.  But if he is,one blogger has mused, rather cruelly, that overweight, middle-aged grumpy Doc Ock might not be a bad identification figure for the fanboys who want to be young, fit Spider-man surrounded by all those hot babes, and think that they could do it better than Marvel has been showing Spidey for the last few years.

I'm selling my copy of Amazing Spider-Man #698-699-700 and Avenging Spider-Man #15.1 as a bundle for $20.00

You can get your own mint copies to slab and preserve and resell in a couple of years for, who-knows-how-much?

Here's a similar short run of comics around issue #400 from 17 years ago, that might give us an idea what your comics will be worth in 2 decades time, Kirk.  Like issue #700, #400 also featured the death of a very central character, and was also in the middle of a big-whoop, high-concept, highly hyped storyline, in this case, the fondly remembered :-P Clone Saga.

With two days left to go, they are worth 99c, so far.

What's the over/under on Peter Parker's return?

I say 18 months (to coincide with the release of Spider-Man 2, which IMDB is listing as May 2014). That gives Slott 18 (or 36, if they keep to the bi-weekly schedule) issues to play with Dr. Spider-puss, which is more than enough time to drive the concept around the block a few times.

And that might be overestimating it. I mean, they left the escape hatch RIGHT THERE (the golden snitch - Errr - Octobot)..... I'm sort of surprised no one has pointed this out, yet.

It's up to $5 now

Figserello said:

Here's a similar short run of comics around issue #400 from 17 years ago, that might give us an idea what your comics will be worth in 2 decades time, Kirk.  Like issue #700, #400 also featured the death of a very central character, and was also in the middle of a big-whoop, high-concept, highly hyped storyline, in this case, the fondly remembered :-P Clone Saga.

I just heard a very interesting theory on how they are going to resurrect Peter Parker.  SPOILER:

You may already know that in the first Superior Spider-Man, in the final pages, a blue tinted ghost astral image of Peter stays Otto's hand when he's about to kill someone BAD.  It looks A LOT like how the represented Michael back in about Avengers #170, if you will recall, he was gold outlines instead of blue.

Anyway my money was on Dr. Strange to scan Spidey with his amulet and do a spell of reversal/restoration to get him back.

The clerk at my local comic book shop (who has agreed to put my lot of four books up for sale as a bundle in their shop) is betting that someone (probably Dr. Otto or else Dr. Strange) will move spidey's consciousness over to a genetically identical clone who happens to be walking around in Kansas right now.  HOLY CLONE SAGA!

However, as we were walking out, he had a brainstorm, and said, "I'll bet Myphesto is going to be really pissed when he comes to collect Peter's soul and discovers Otto squatting in that body. So angry that I'll bet  he takes Otto and leaves Peter. 

I thought that was brilliant!

I would not be surprised if Dr. Octopus eventually takes over the body of Carlyle.

And the winning bid was $16.  Someone's recouped their reading expenses, anyhow...

David Warren said:

It's up to $5 now

Figserello said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service