What I've got is the new releases with the enhanced special effects - I'll comment on these as best I can, shame I haven't got the originals to compare and contrast, but such is life. I put up the "spoiler" just on the off chance that there's someone here that hasn't seen all these a million times - you never know, I suppose.

Views: 7728

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I first saw Katy Manning on DOCTOR WHO, Teri Garr was appearing occasionally on McCLOUD.  At that point, I'd actually forgotten I'd seen her on STAR TREK earlier, even though I was probably heavily involved in watching STAR TREK reruns at the same time.
As a kid, I always went for "smart" girls-- probably got started watching Julie Andrews in MARY POPPINS (heh), but over time, I also came to appreciate "ditzy" ones, as long as they weren't brain-dead.

Funny about that DARK SHADOWS / ASSIGNMENT EARTH connection...

If you ever wanna see an American version of "The Master"-- from 1968-- check out "Nicholas Blair" (Humbert Allen Astredo) on DARK SHADOWS, circa 1968 (and then again in early 1970)!

Or to a lesser degree, "Evan Hanley" (also Astredo) in the lengthy 1897 storyline (which took up most of 1969).

I've often jokingly referred to Nicholas as "Snidely Whiplash", because thats who he reminds me of (both looks and personality).  He's VERY close in personality to The Master, right down to having vague motivations (he's bad because he's evil!).  Evan is more like "Lupton" (John Dearth) from PLANET OF THE SPIDERS, a "wannabe" who never quite makes it.

Is There in Truth No Beauty? :

Written by Jean Lisette Aroeste

Directed by Ralph Senensky

Synopsis: In which our heroes encounter a creature no one can look at.

Thoughts:

1)"Humans who get even a glimpse of Medusans have gone insane." An interesting idea.  I always thought of the Medusans as more benevolent versions of the sort of critters that our Howard used to write about.

2)Why do they have to clear the tranporter room if the Medusan's in a box? They don't make Kirk leave the room at the end.

3)And we get the second appearance of Diana Muldaur, this time as Miranda Jones, Cyrano's more successful sister.

4)We also see the IDIC symbol, which I gather they'd hoped to market.

5)Couldn't Doctor Boyfriend figure out a way to kill Kollos without looking at him? Did he forget what would happen? Or was he trying to set up a perfect insanity defense?  Would an insanity defense work if you deliberately did something that you knew would drive you insane?

6)The music in this is very different in this one - lots of eerie stuff, and not so many of the usual music cues.

7)"She'll kill you if you love her!" Hey, it happens.

8)I like the idea of the sensor dress.

9)"You are blind, and there's some things you simply cannot do."  Tell that to Geordi La Forge.

Overall:

An OK episode, with some interesting ideas. It's funny to see Kirk's "Mister Smooth" act utterly fail to win over Miranda.

IS THERE IN TRUTH NO BEAUTY?:

The dual meaning of the title appeals to me. As I interpret it, it refers both to Kollos’ “ugliness” (“Is there really such a thing as beauty?”) as well as the “truth” with which Kirk confronts Miranda in the end (“Is there no beauty in that which we know as truth?”). The title of the episode is taken from the poem Jordan” by George Herbert.

Who sayes that fictions onely and false hair
Become a verse? Is there in truth no beauty?
Is all good structure in a winding stair?
May no lines passe, except they do their dutie
Not to a true, but painted chair?"

This episode is rife with other literary references as well. Spock/Kollos quotes Blake, and Doctor Jones is none-too-subtly named after Miranda from Shakespeare’s The Tempest, whom she likewise quotes. And, of course, Kollos’ race is named for the Medusa of Greek mythology.

This is the episode/character/performance I associate with Diana Muldaur (rather than “By Any Other Name”).

Speaking of “Cyrano's more successful sister,” the matchmaker in me wants to set Kollos up with The Companion from “Metamorphosis.” It would be a kick if Geordie had worn a "sensor dress" instead of that visor.

And, yes, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the the IDIC symbol was foisted on the show by Roddenberry, who hoped to market it. I don’t think this its first appearance in production. Like the Prime Directive, it was more thoroughly explained the first time it was referenced, then the episodes were shown out of order.

The actor who played "Larry Marvick" had previously appeared in "DON'T OPEN TILL DOOMSDAY".  I mean-- what are the odds???  (Monster in a BOX.) It's like his casting was an in-joke!

Doctor Jones is none-too-subtly named after Miranda from Shakespeare’s The Tempest, whom she likewise quotes.

Apropos of nothing, I understand that the name Miranda did not exist until Shakespeare invented it for THE TEMPEST. The same is true, I believe, of the female name Madison. It was presented as weird in the movie SPLASH and has since become a popular name for baby girls.

I've heard J.M. Barrie invented the name "Wendy" for Peter Pan, too.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

And, yes, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the the IDIC symbol was foisted on the show by Roddenberry, who hoped to market it. I don’t think this its first appearance in production. Like the Prime Directive, it was more thoroughly explained the first time it was referenced, then the episodes were shown out of order.

I did some checking on that for you, since I still have my copy of Mark Clark's Star Trek FAQ; Everything Left to Know About the First Voyages of the Starship Enterprise (Applause Theatre & Cinema Books, 2012) on my desk.

Clark reports that "Is There in Truth No Beauty?" was, indeed, the first episode in which the IDAC medal was mentioned.  He refers to Lincoln Enterprises, the mail-order company Gene Roddenberry established to merchandise Star Trek-related material.  From Clark, on pp.330-2:

Also, in 1968, another Lincoln endeavor damaged the already strained relationship between Roddenberry and Leonard Nimoy.  During the production of the episode "Is There in Truth No Beauty?," Roddenberry inserted a scene in which Kirk and Spock explain to guest star Diana Muldaur the significance of a stylized medal the Vulcan is wearing---the IDIC, short for "infinite diversity in infinite combinations."  This interlude served no function within the framework of the plot; it was created specifically to introduce IDIC pins and medallions, which were about to go on sale from Lincoln Enterprises. 

Nimoy felt that this ploy cheapened the show and protested vociferously.  The sequence was rewritten to minimize the dialogue about the IDIC (which Kirk refers to as "the most revered of all Vulcan symbols"), and Nimoy reluctantly played the scene.  In the finished episode, Spock models both an IDIC brooch (which receives a loving close-up) and, later, a large IDIC necklace.

If (recent) memory serves, "IDIC" is not even mentioned in that episode, but is mentioned in a later episode (in which the medallion does not appear).

I did some further research on this.  Though I could not find an entire video of "Is There in Truth No Beauty?" on line, I did find a SciFI channel special on the episode which contained excerpts I needed.

There are two critical scenes with regard to the IDIC in "Is There in Truth No Beauty?".  The first is a dinner party Captain Kirk holds for Miranda Jones.  Kirk, Spock, Scott, and McCoy are present in their full dress uniforms.  Spock wears the IDIC pin on his.  Dr. Jones talks about her telepathic powers and her training on Vulcan and she brings up the subject of Spock's IDIC pin.  Jones asks Spock if he wore the pin to subtly imply that he could mind-meld with the Medusan ambassador Kollos better than she could.  Spock replies that he wore it only to honour her.

Then in the last full scene, in the transporter room, as Dr. Jones and Kollos prepare to depart the ship, Spock wears the IDIC medallion.  Spock and Dr. Jones have a final exchange:

MIRANDA:  "I know now the great joy you felt when you joined minds with Kollos."

SPOCK:      "I rejoice in your knowledge and in your achievement."

MIRANDA (indicating the IDIC medallion):  "I understand, Mr. Spock.  The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity."

SPOCK:      "And the very ways our differences combine to create meaning and beauty."

The Memory Alpha site, which is maintained by folks who obviously live, eat, breathe, and bleed the Star Trek franchise, states that this was the only episode of the original series to feature the IDIC medal or pin. 

The next time any work of Star Trek addressed it was in the animated series episode "The Infinite Vulcan" (20 October 1973).  According to Memory Alpha, it is in "The Infinite Vulcan" that the acronym "IDIC" is first applied to the infinite diversity-infinite combinations concept.  (Kirk says it.)  So you are correct, Mr. Kujawa, that the term "IDIC" was not used in "Is There in Truth No Beauty?"  It didn't come up until the animated series.

I continued to research, to see if I could find any information to the contrary of what I saw above and did not.  In fact, what I found reïnforced what I said above.

Therefore---with the caveat that I am not a Star Trek expert, by any means---I believe it is accurate to state that "Is There in Truth No Beauty?" is the first time the IDIC pin and medallion appeared and the first time the infinite diversity-infinite combinations concept is mentioned.  I believe it is also accurate to state that this was the only episode of the original series in which the pin and medallion appeared.

And I feel it is accurate to state that the acronym IDIC was not applied to the concept or the decoration until the animated episode "The Infinite Vulcan".

Now, was there some philosophical babble about diversity and combinations in later episodes of the original series?  Probably.  That last season got pretty full of itself.  But none of that talk was in direct reference to Spock's IDIC bling.

As I said, I'm not an expert on Star Trek in any of its forms, but that's what everything I found told me.

That's cause it was erased from our collective memories by a Vulcan nerve pinch/mind wipe!

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

It never occurred to me before how like Jon Pertwee Doctor Who “Assignment: Earth” is. We have a man with knowledge of the future (The Doctor/Gary Seven) assigned to Earth by a group of mysterious aliens (Timelords? The “Cellestial Intervention Agency?”) and who works with a ditsy yet intelligent blonde assistant (Jo grant/Roberta Lincoln). He even has his own version of a sonic screwdriver and a TARDIS.

I made that observation on another online forum once, and no one agreed with me.

I haven't gotten up to THE INFINTE VULCAN yet.  But I feel sure the phrase "Infinite Diversity" WAS used in another 3rd-season episode, after IS THERE IN TRUTH...  Bu I can't remember which one.  (And I just watched most of them!)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service