What I've got is the new releases with the enhanced special effects - I'll comment on these as best I can, shame I haven't got the originals to compare and contrast, but such is life. I put up the "spoiler" just on the off chance that there's someone here that hasn't seen all these a million times - you never know, I suppose.

Views: 7706

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Spectre of the Gun:

Written by Lee Cronin

Directed by Vincent McEveety

Synopsis: Space cowboys fight cowboys in space.

Thoughts:

1)Again, they draw attention to the language issue. It's the same here as with Doctor Who: Occasionally mention that there's a universal translator, otherwise leave the issue that everyone in the universe speaks English alone.

2)"We're to establish contact with the Melkotians at all costs."  Why? What's so urgent that they have to essentially invade Melkot space when they've been specifically told to buzz off?

3)The Melkotian is kind of cool-looking.

4)"To individuals at close range these could be as deadly as phasers."  But they leave more of a mess to clean up.

5)"They're a bunch of hot air if y'ask me." "Are they really?" Awesome.

6)I love Spock's description of the "fast draw": "It could initiate unfortunate events."

7)After watching The Gunfighters, I went and read up on the real gunfight at the OK Corral. It's interesting stuff. Apparently, there was a dispute for decades afterwards (which may still be going on, for aught I know) as to whether the Earps were the faces or the heels in the dispute.  Wyatt, particularly, was haunted by various accusations over the years.

8)"All those western Cossacks had were poisonous snakes and cactus plants." And so Five-Alarm Chili was born!

9)"It's to kill the pain." "It's painless." "Well, you should've warned me sooner, Mister Spock."

10)Good thing the Earps walked v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y to the gunfight, so that Spock had plenty of time to brainwash everyone.

11)The gunfight was well-realized - the bit where the bullet holes appeared in the fence behind them was a nice touch.

12)Much is made of the fact that Kirk didn't kill Earp. So what? He refrained from "killing" someone he knew wasn't real. That doesn't make him a nice guy, necessarily. Also, if the Melkotians are such powerful telepaths, wouldn't they be able to read our heroes' thoughts and know they were nice guys?  Why go through all this fooferaw with the gunfight? I suspect that this was all an elaborate prank on the part of the Melkotians, something like: "Aw, we knew you guys were OK. We were always gonna let you in, we just wanted to mess with you a little bit first."

Overall:

Another in the long list of episodes that are fun to watch as long as you don't think too much about the plot.

The half-formed sets were a nice touch and the scene where Spock explains to Kirk about the quick draw was neat as was McCoy's bit with Doc Holliday.

The reasoning how they could change "history" was actually logical.

Chekov got a lot of "action", didn't he? ;-)

Chekov's a little "Kirk-in-training".

SPECTRE OF THE GUN: Not a favorite of mine. Neither is Doctor Who’s “The Gunfighters”. Yet somehow, I enjoy them both more when I watch them as a double feature. Go figure.

ASSIGNMENT: EARTH and TOMORROW IS YESTERDAY (Revisited): Re-watching the “Assignment: Earth” television episode recently put me in the mood to re-read John Byrne’s Assignment: Earth comic book series. Because both television episodes take place in the “present day,” it’s natural to assume that the events of “Tomorrow is Yesterday” occurred before those of “Assignment: Earth” (from a 20th century perspective). As John Byrne would have it, “Tomorrow is Yesterday” happens after “Assignment: Earth”. If you can get past that, issue #2 of the comic book series is pretty interesting.

In execution it is quite similar to “Trials and Tribbleations” with regard to “The Trouble with Tribbbles”. In other words, Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln are inserted behind the scenes of “Tomorrow is Yesterday” in the 20th century in much the same way Captain Cisco and crew were retroactively inserted into the 23rd.

Interesting. I like "The Gunfighters" way more than "Spectre of the Gun", though it's not bad, either.

If you want to make that double-feature a triple, add "LIVING IN HARMONY" with Patrick McGoohan, David Bauer & Alexis Kanner.  It's the single most disturbing episode of THE PRISONER.

Day of the Dove:

Written by Jerome Bixby

Directed by Marvin Chomsky

Synopsis:  In which an energy being says "Let's you and him fight!"

Thoughts:

1)A propos of nothing, but when I was a kid, the energy being in this is about what I imagine the Holy Ghost looked like.

2)I like the touch that the Klingon transporters are silent, with a different effect.  Not just the their technology would be different, but that the Klingons, self-professed "hunters", would have a "stealthier" system.

3)Kang is played very well by the great Michael Ansara.

4)"Go to the Devil."  "We have no Devil, Kirk, but we understand the habits of yours."

5)"You killed my brother!" "And you volunteer to join him. That is loyalty."

6)We also see our first Klingon women here, in particular Mara, played by Susan Howard.

7)"I've heard of their atrocities, their death camps."  Nah, the Federation doesn't kill its prisoners, it just makes them watch the first two seasons of Next Generation over and over.

8)"Four thousand throats may be cut in one night by a running man."  Would certainly make marathons more interesting.

9)"The Klingon Empire has maintained a dueling tradition."

10)"He never had a brother." "He's an only child."

11)"A claymore!" No, it's not. Claymores are big two-handed jobs.

12)"We should have left those fuzz-goons in the transporter!"  "Fuzz-faced goons" is my new favorite phrase.

13)"May I say that I have not thoroughly enjoyed serving with humans."  Spock's trash talk still needs a little work.

14)Chekov's extra-creepy when he's obviously thinking about raping Mara.

15)One does wonder if one of these critters has been living in the Middle East for a millennium or two.

16)"There are poor planets in the Klingon systems."

17)"Klingons kill for their own purposes." Also for fun. and for exercise. And 'cause they're bored. And sometimes just 'cause.

18)"I suggest that good spirits might make an effective weapon."  I'm sure Scotty has all the spirits you'll need.

19)"We need no urging to hate humans. But for the present, only a fool fights in a burning house."   I always liked how Kang gets in an extra slap on Kirk's back.

Overall:

I quite enjoyed this. It's good to see the Klingons get fleshed out a bit, so they're not just faceless, disposable heels.

DAY OF THE DOVE:

We’ve talked some about the optimum order to watch these episodes (production order, broadcast order, stardate order, etc.). I generally prefer production order, but I’ve made a few changes (based on this discussion) because they just make sense. For example, “The Naked Time” was obviously originally intended to lead directly into “Tomorrow is Yesterday” (and, but for the vagaries of television production, should have). Also (and I should have thought of this one myself), “What are Little Girls Made Of?” should have been presented before “The Naked Time.” From now on I will watch them (and think of them as having happened) in this order.

“Day of the Dove” is one of my favorite Klingon episodes (as well as one of my favorite episodes in general), and I like to think of it as the last episode of the series. It’s not, but I like to think of it that way because it’s forward looking and presages (in a way) not only Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, but Star Trek: The Next Generation as well. It would have been a good episode for the series to have gone out on.

I agree about Michael Ansara.

Actually, I believe an episode of TNG would reveal that the Klingons do have a devil after all. Can’t really blame Kang for playing Klingon religious/cultural beliefs close to the vest, though. Regarding Kirk’s comment on the Klingons’ “dueling tradition,” it’s easy to imagine that was the result of Federation’s intelligence regarding the Klingon bat’leth weapon.

Tracy laughed out loud when Kang slapped Kirk on the back.

"but for the vagaries of television production, should have). Also (and I should have thought of this one myself), “What are Little Girls Made Of?” should have been presented before “The Naked Time.”"

Yeah, in this case, I do suspect something caused these 2 stories to be filmed out of sequence, but nobody fixed it by running them in the more appropriate order.  (Probably because NBC was too busy F****** over the order every single week.)

It's like the last 2 Julie Newmar Catwoman stories on BATMAN.  I've heard arguments from fans about what order they were filmed in, but it's all B***S***, the important thing is, the network CLEARLY, OBVIOUSLY ran them in the wrong order! One of the few times that show had any major "continuity" between stories, and they F***** up the order! So of course, it's been wrong, ever since.  (Except on my videotapes...  because Channel 9 ran the show while I was on the way home from work, I was forced to "copy-edit" every single episode.  And since I already had to do that, I figured, WHY NOT copy them in the correct order? So I did!)

And speaking of Julie Newmar... her STAR TREK story, "FRIDAY'S CHILD" was written, filmed and intended as the 2nd Klingon story.  But it got PRE-EMPTED, and was not shown until just before "ASSIGNMENT: EARTH".  Yet, these days, it's always shown as the 2nd Klingon story, not the 4th... which is how it should be. (Does anyone know why the show was not on, not once, but TWO weeks in a row, around early December 1967?  I notice, Gene Roddenberry's book has its original airdate listed, and if you check to when it should have been on, there's not 1, but 2 weeks NOT listed. I wonder what pre-empted the show 2 weeks in a row? It sure as hell WASN'T "Christmas reruns"... that CRAP didn't start until December 1968.)

Unlike Kor and Koloth with their veneer of civility, Kang was not a Klingon to mess with. In fact, you can see a lot of Worf in him.

I see that the Klingons keep their women in mini-skirts just like the Federation! ;-)

"Hit me in the heart or the head! I won't stay dead!" Kirk puts his ideals (and his life) on the line. Wonder what would have happened if someone actually got decapitated?

And what was the rest of the crew doing while this was goin on? Just waiting for Kirk and Spock to save the day....again?

"Man, we're trapped. Should we try to squeeze through the ducts until we get a Jeffries tube?"

"Nah, the Cap'n got this. I'm staying put. I could use a nap."

For The World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky:

Written by Rik Vollaerts

Directed by Tony Leader

Synopsis: McCoy is terminally ill for about fifty minutes.

Thoughts:

1)"Xenoploycythemia, it has no cure."  Star Trek does General Hospital.

2)Ah, it's McCoy's turn to get the girl in this one.

3)"Does McCoy find me attractive?"  "Oh, yes." "Although he does wonder why you can't use pronouns."

4)"You have lived a lonely life?" "Yes, very lonely."  I know there was noise about providing McCoy with a daughter at some point - possibly in Season Four if it had existed, but I don't believe it ever got mentioned in the original series.

5)Why do these computers on these world ships always develop flaws? You'd think they'd build them better.

6)Good thing the Oracle decided to kill them slowly at the end there, instead of killing them instantly, as we know it can do.

7)And they just happen to have a cure - isn't that convenient?

8)So, did Kirk get into any trouble for essentially ignoring that Admiral's orders and sticking around Yonada?

Overall:

A so-so episode - the main problem is, you know McCoy isn't going to die or stay behind, so there's no real drama to the "soap opera" end of it.

The Tholian Web:

Written by Judy Burns and Chet Richards

Directed by Herb Wallerstein

Synopsis: Kirk falls into a crack between universes.

Thoughts:

1)The eventual fate of the Defiant was revealed in an episode of Enterprise, and a new ship of the same name was introduced in the later seasons of Deep Space Nine.

2)"Has there ever been a mutiny on a starship before?" "Absolutely no record of such an occurrence, Ensign."

3)The life support suits look a little better in this one.

4)Interesting design on the Tholians.

5)"The renowned Tholian punctuality."

6)The Tholian Web seems an awfully limited-use weapon, very slow to set up.

7)"The Captain left a message tape."  That was a nice scene, though it would have been funny if halfway into it someone had taped over it.

8)Our first look into Uhura's quarters.

9)"Doctor, I'm not going mad! I did see Captain Kirk!" "Also, Jimmy Hoffa! And the Easter Bunny!"

10)Poor Uhura has to lie there and listen to Chekov screaming. You'd think they'd have an isolation ward or a cone of silence or something.

11)"Theragen? A nerve gas used by the Klingons."  "And which McCoy has a supply of, apparently.

12)"Does it make a good mix with Scotch?"  "It should." "I'll let you know."  Shouldn't it worry Spock or McCoy that this is Scotty's first thought in this situation?

13)A nice touch that Spock welcome s Uhura and Chekov bac to duty - despite it all, he's not completely without heart.

14)Interesting that McCoy and Spock lie to Kirk at the end. Guess Spock forgot that Vulcans never lie.

Overall:

An OK episode - an interesting premise.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service