What I've got is the new releases with the enhanced special effects - I'll comment on these as best I can, shame I haven't got the originals to compare and contrast, but such is life. I put up the "spoiler" just on the off chance that there's someone here that hasn't seen all these a million times - you never know, I suppose.

Views: 7711

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always thought Kirk went off half-cocked in his assumptions that the Gorn ship must never be allowed to survive/get home.

And I thought that Spock was trying to correct him at first when Kirk angrily overrode him. I thought Spock folded far too easily and gave up to support his captain in error.  And that part of the point of the story is that Kirk thought better of his rash decisions and was a better man for it in the end.

"The Way To Eden was so tied to the Summer of Love/ hippie movement that it was doomed to be dated from the moment it first aired."

The previous year, LOST IN SPACE hit both Woodstock ("The Promised Planet") AND Altamont ("Collission of Planets").  The latter had Daniel J. Travanti in it. Who'd have imagined he be the lead in HILL STREET BLUES more than a decade later?

"Hey, man! How about a session? It would SOUND!"

"Do you fellas got your union cards?"

Tracy of Earth-J or Captain Tracy of the luney bin?

The Baron said:

I like Tracy. She's likable.

IIRC, The Way to Eden was supposed to feature Joanna McCoy with Kirk trying to romance her over Bones' (totally justifiable) objections. Since they were trying to capture the younger demographic (obviously! I mean Space Hippies! Wow!), they gave the lovin' to Chekov!

Kirk G said:

I always thought Kirk went off half-cocked in his assumptions that the Gorn ship must never be allowed to survive/get home.

And I thought that Spock was trying to correct him at first when Kirk angrily overrode him. I thought Spock folded far too easily and gave up to support his captain in error.  And that part of the point of the story is that Kirk thought better of his rash decisions and was a better man for it in the end.

Two things drove Kirk on that one, the first that if he let the Gorn ship go it would signal weakness to a culture that obviously was Romulan/Klingon like and as Spock pointed out "Weakness is something we dare not show" and the second was his anger at how the outpost was attacked and nearly everyone killed. Once he was one on one with the Gorn he got over that. Had to wonder about the Gorn though, first they attack the outpost, lay a trap and then run away.

Kirk G said:

Tracy of Earth-J or Captain Tracy of the luney bin?

The Baron said:

I like Tracy. She's likable.

Sorry, it took me a second to realize you meant Ron Tracey from "The Omega GLory", but then, I'm not the sharpest knife on the tree.

I always wondered why the movies and the spinoffs never used the Gorn again*. A Gorn/Worf fight would have been awesome!

*I know about the Next Generation Graphic novel but I mean something more canonical.

The series "Enterprise" DID use the Gorn...there were at least two of them loose on the ship and they were cgi as I recall.

You never got a good clear look at them, and they moved FAST...unlike ol' lumbering king of the Gorns from Arena.

Did that original gorn remind anyone else of Godzilla? They would have been great to use in the animate series as well, though at least the animated series used the Kzinte.

The Cloud Minders:

Teleplay by Margaret Armen/Story by David Gerrold and Oliver Crawford

Directed by Jud Taylor

Synopsis: In which our heroes uncover class warfare in outer space.

Thoughts:

1)"I have never before met a Vulcan, sir."  "Nor I a work of art."

2)"Captain Kirk and his attractive officer..."

3)"The seven year cycle is inherent in all Vulcans."  Wait a minute, in "Amok TIme", Vulcan sexuality was so private that Spock would only discuss it with his two best friends (one of whom is his personal physician) when he was in the direst of straits, and here he chats about it casually with some hottie he's just met?  Spock's been hanging out with Kirk too long.

4)And one last time, Kirk gets away with messing around with a society largely because he feels like it.

Overall:  Another so-so episode - the regulars all seem slightly off, characterwise, somehow. The plot is vaguely reminiscent of "The Savages".

The Savage Curtain:

Teleplay by Gene Roddenberry and Arthur Heinemann/Story by Gene Roddenberry

Directed by Herschel Daugherty

Synopsis: In which rocks seek to learn the difference between good and evil by having historical re-enactors throw sticks at one another.

Thoughts:

1)"I am Abraham Lincoln."  "I'm Abraham Lincoln, and so is my wife!"

2)"Do you still measure time in minutes?" "We can convert to it, sir." What are you talking about? You people use hours and minutes all the time!

3)The "presidential honors" routine was pretty amusing.

4)"A charming Negress." One way of putting it.

5)"We've each learned to be delighted with what we are."

6)"President Lincoln has always been a very personal hero to you."

7)"The greatest of all who ever lived on our planet, Captain. The father of all we became."  So, Surak is the Vulcan George Washington.

8)"In my time, we knew not of Earthmen."  Nor of "pants", apparently.

9)"Our world is called Excalbia."  I always liked the design of the Excalbian.

10)"Colonel Green, who led a genocidal war early in the Twenty-First Century on Earth."  He'd better get on that, it's not gonna be that early in the century much longer.

11)"Kahless, the Unforgettable, the Klingon who set the pattern for his planet's tyrannies."

12)I question what the Excalbians really expect to learn from all this. I suspender that it's all that a gag, their version of Saturday night wrestling.

13)I like Kirk's reaction to being compared to Grant.

14)Interesting that the heels just seem to accept Green as their leader. You'd think with people like that, there'd be more squabbling

15)"I, too, am a Vulcan, bred to peace."

16)"Your Surak is a brave man." "Men of peace usually are, Captain."

17)Perfect mimicry is one of the lesser known skills that a Klingon warrior must master.

Overall:

Another favorite episode of mine, I've always liked this.  There aren't too many shows where'd you get to see Abe Lincol n beating the crap out of Genghis Khan.

The Cloud Miners: Yes, Spock does seem on the prowl this episode. I'm sure he has a logical explaination for it, though. Maybe it's his human side popping up. (Sorry!)

And Kirk does get involved because there's a hottie for him, too! Everybody's happy!

The Savage Curtain: I like this one too. Not crazy for Surak's name, it's too similar to Sarek. Plus for years, everyone thought that all male Vulcan names had to begin with "S" and usually end with "K".

I loved Colonel Green (who did it in the study with the candlestick) with his smug "History tends to exaggerate" line and we all know he lying!

"That's great, Kahless! Now do Nixon!"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service