Finally have decent copies of all of these, as well as of the MST3K episodes, so this seems like a good one to do.  I don't have as much reference material on Gamera as on the other Big G, so there won't be as much info on the technical side in this thread.

Views: 1070

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Probably in Gamera's contract, he gets top billing :)

Jeff of Earth-J said:

GAMERA vs. BARUGON: As has already been noted, how do they get away with calling this a Gamera movie? No Kenny, no Tibby and damned little of Gamera!

The Baron said:

Be funny if the company that made the synthetic blood had a little chibi Gyaos as their mascot.

Sadly, no...

We just finished watching Gamera, the first one, MST3K version. Looking back to the first page of this thread (10 years ago!), here's what I said...

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I wonder if Tracy will allow me to watch these along with you...? I think I have them all... in one form or another. If I don't have a DVD of each of the movies in question, I should have MST3K versions on VHS. 

Ah, what a difference a decade makes! After we decided what to what, we had to decide which version to watch. Tracy was actually eager to watch Gamera this time around. I think the difference is, back then, I had all these "knock off" DVDs, such as Gamera the Invincible, War of the Monsters and Destroy All Planets. This time, we'll be able to watch from two collections: MST3K vs. Gamera (5 movies) and the Gamera Legacy Collection: 1965-1999 (11 movies). I enjoy Gamera plain (no jokes) or with extra cheese (MST3K), but if Tracy's going to be watching them, she likes the jokes. So we'll be watching the five MST3K ones, interspersed with the six others from the Legacy collection. I have never watched all of the classic ones in order, and I have never seen the three most recent ones. 

That explains why T was quoting that episode to me on Facebook.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

We just finished watching Gamera, the first one, MST3K version. 

Looks as if I dropped out of the discussion fairly early on first time through (probably because I wasn't watching along), but I remember reading it. Then I bumped it up in 2016. Apparently, I go through a "Gamera" phase every five years, like clockwork. Prior to 2011, it must have been on the old board.

I've been reading your recent short "Godzilla" over over on "what Movies Have You Watched today" nad, although I've been considering taking another run at those, I haven't yet. When I do, I generally dive deep, as you do, watching both Japanese and English versions, and so on. I wasn't in the mood for anthing quite so intense, so I thought Gamera was the solution. 

But, reading through this thread, it seems there are multiple iterations of the Gamera movies as well, even multiple English overdubs... and I do have them.  Am I going to watch multiple iterations of the the same film (I doubt tracy would be up for that), or just watch the MST3K versions of the five in the set...? We shall see. 

Strangely enough, I've been watching the 90s Gamera movies too. I've seen the first two, and like them a lot. 

GAMERA vs. BARUGON (MST3K): Oh, yeah, I remember this one: the "Gamera" movie with hardly any Gamera in it. When we did a marathon session of 30+ MST3Ks last year, we fast-forwarded over the host segments, but we're watching all of these.

GAMERA vs. GAOS (MST3K): This is the one with the Japanese "Gilligan & Costello." It is also the one I have seen the most often just watching TV... as a kid, in college, after. There's something about that rotating birdbath fountain of blood that has stuck with me all these years.

Next is sequence is Gamera vs. Viras, but MST3K didn't do that one so I think I might skip ahead to Gamera vs. Guiron and get the MST3Ks out of the way first. I think I'll be okay following them out of order. :) 

Gamera Vs Barugon was the "grown-up" Gamera film but did not test well with children so the other films were more action-packed and simplified (and featured children!).

Barugon's name was spelled that way so he wouldn't be confused with Toho's Baragon from Frankenstein Conquers the World (originally Frankenstein Vs Underground Monster Baragon as not to confused him with Above Ground Baragon!)

GAMERA vs. GUIRON:

"I think I'll be okay following them out of order."

...until they showed a flashback to Gamera vs. Viras and I was like, "Wha--?"

GAMERA VS. ZIGRA

I seem to be congenitally unable to retain specific plot points from Gamera movies for more than 12 hours or so. Consequently, I often get more from your summaries than I do from the movies themselves. At other times, your summaries and the movies complement each other. For example, the line, "They then defeat the spacewoman by saying 'Aaah!' at her," is much more funny after seeing the movie itself. 

Tracy seems to have the same problem I do, but her retention period is less than 12 hours. At one point, Gamera used its fire breath against Zigra and I asked, "Waitaminute... aren't they supposed to be underwater?" to which Tracy replied, "I don't know, I've lost the plot thread." We have another aread of disagreement as well: the hates the lyric parodies ("Gamera is really neat, Gamera is full of meat"), but I live for them. 

"Then, in what is surely the greatest scene in cinema history, Gamera uses another boulder to play its them tune on Zigra's dorsal spines, dancing gleefully."

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a greater scene in cinema history.

I'm very familiar with the five MST3K Gamera movies (despite the fact I cannot retain them, I recall tham as I'm watching), so I'm looking forward to watching the ones I probably (or definitely) have never seen before. 

The new MST3K will be doing Gamera vs. Jiger at some point.  No idea when it will be available.

GAMERA VS. VIRAS: I have now moved from the apples of the MST3K versions to the oranges of the Legacy Collection. After five movies with Joel and the 'bots, there's just something about widescreen and subtitles that makes this seem like a more serious film. In any case, the subtitles force me to pay closer attention. I have nothing to add to your summary; you made every point I would have (not the least of which is how Gamera possibly survived being impaled by Viras near the end). I honestly cannot say whether I have previously seen this movie or not. I don't think so, but that bumblebee beachball spaceship looks awfully familiar. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service