Friends and neighbors:

As most of you know, I am writing a book about journalists in comic books. It's a riff on my Master's thesis. It's kinda fun, and I want to share that, since it's consuming all my time. I think maybe you guys would like to be in on the conversation in my head.

I know some of you have done books on your own, and haven't asked any help here. I acknowledge that, and am not asking for help myself.

I just think it will be fun.

So, do you guys want to go on this journey with me? Sure, you all get credit in the Foreword.

But the first question is ... do you want to play? If not, I'll continue to toil in darkness.

Let me know, Legionnaires!

Views: 1353

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Richard Willis said:

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, I think Ned Leeds was set up as the Hobgoblin but was actually innocent.

As I remember, the identity of the Hobgoblin was retconned and then retconned again because different writers on the Spider-Man series couldn't agree on the solution to the mystery. CBR spells it out here: "The Abandoned An’ Forsaked - So Who Was the Hobgoblin Anyways?"

And here's more than you could possibly want to know about it:

"The Secret Origin of the Secret Identity of the Hobgoblin, Part 1"

"The Secret Origin of the Secret Identity of the Hobgoblin, Part 2"

More additions:

Golden Age:

• Power Nelson (Prize Comics)
  • Rainbow Boy ( Reg'lar Fellers Heroic Comics)
  • the Wizard (MLJ/Archie)

After that, you got

• Marvelman/Miracleman
  • Megaton Man (Kitchen Sink)
  • Mister A (Steve Ditko)
  • Scorpion II (Atlas Comics)
  • Son of Vulcan
  • Supergirl (during the early 70s)

and the funny animals

• Spider-Ham
  • Wonder Warthog
  • Yankee Poodle

Vicki Vale introduced in Batman #49 (1948), so she would be Golden Age.

Thanks for posting these links, CK. Very interesting.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Richard Willis said:

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, I think Ned Leeds was set up as the Hobgoblin but was actually innocent.

As I remember, the identity of the Hobgoblin was retconned and then retconned again because different writers on the Spider-Man series couldn't agree on the solution to the mystery. CBR spells it out here: "The Abandoned An’ Forsaked - So Who Was the Hobgoblin Anyways?"

And here's more than you could possibly want to know about it:

"The Secret Origin of the Secret Identity of the Hobgoblin, Part 1"

"The Secret Origin of the Secret Identity of the Hobgoblin, Part 2"

ClarkKent_DC said:

Carol Danvers, Jessica Jones, J. Jonah Jameson, Ben Urich, Jake Conover, Frederick Foswell, Steve Lombard, Faith Herbert, Barney Bushkin, Collin Thornton, Morgan Edge, Joe Robertson, Lex Luthor (he owned the Daily Planet for a while) ... that's off the top of my head.

I haven't assembled my non-superhero lists yet, but obviously I'll do a bunch of chapters on the Daily Planet and Daily Bugle staffs. In addition to the ones you list, I'll add Cat Grant, James Olsen Ron Troupe, Kat Farrell, the Bugle staffer killed early in The Pulse by Green Goblin, the new Planet staffers in the Bendis Super-stories, Parker's staff when he was science editor at Front Line, whoever else was in the Front Line miniseries, and ... well, there are probably more I'm not thinking of.

Where was Jessica Jones a reporter? The Pulse? And thanks for mentioning Faith Herbert, who would have mentally dismissed as a fact-checker had I thought of her. Your suggestion has me giving her a second look. Also, I'd completely forgotten about Collin (Colin?) Thornton, and I'm thrilled by your observation about Luthor, because "publishers are evil" is pretty much a theme in comic books from the Golden Age is present ... and ain't no one more evil than Luthor!

Philip Portelli said:

• London from Daredevil Comics another radio guy

OMG! I had "check London" in my notes, but had forgotten what it meant! Seriously, just last night I ran across that note and thought "What does that mean? Maybe I meant 'Foreign Correspondent', which is probably set in London." FC is another GA character I haven't researched yet.

Anyway, thanks a million, PP -- I would have missed that one altogether without your reminder. Also, I hadn't considered Jimmy's E-Lad adventures as moving him from "sidekick" to "occasional superhero" like Owl Girl, Chic Carter and a couple of others.

Also, some of your suggestions are essentially riffs, parodies or homages of SUperman -- Megaton Man, Wonder Warthog, maybe Yankee Poodle. I'm torn on whether to include those with the main character or tive ;'em their own "Focus." Probably the latter, if I get enough of 'em.

Dave Palmer said:

Vicki Vale introduced in Batman #49 (1948), so she would be Golden Age.

I've got Vicki, and also Lana Lang, another redhead who was a news broadcaster in the Silver Age for a while. But I don't know of any other Gotham Gazette reporters, and I'm sure there must be some. *shudders nervously*

I have now finished my Introduction (which is basically explanations for my reference system), Chapter 1: In the Beginning (Stone Age-1933) and Chapter 2: Our Story Begins (1933-38). Next up is Chapter 3: A Great Metropolitan Newspaper (1938-52)!

I'm going to take a deep breath and begin tomorrow morning.

For the record, here are the characters from 1934-38 that I included in Chapter 2:

• Connie
  • Donnie Dare the Demon Reporter
  • Jane Arden
  • "Click" Allen ("Ramblin' Jim)
  • Jean Dennis ("Federal Men")
  • Michael ("Sandra of the Secret Service")
  • Lucky Coyne (including Jinx Jordan, Rocky Stone, Kensington Slade and Herbert Jenkins)
  • Red Logan

Anybody know of any other reporter types introduced before Superman?

Captain Comics said:

I haven't assembled my non-superhero lists yet, but obviously I'll do a bunch of chapters on the Daily Planet and Daily Bugle staffs. In addition to the ones you list, I'll add Cat Grant, James Olsen Ron Troupe, Kat Farrell, the Bugle staffer killed early in The Pulse by Green Goblin, the new Planet staffers in the Bendis Super-stories, Parker's staff when he was science editor at Front Line, whoever else was in the Front Line miniseries, and ... well, there are probably more I'm not thinking of.

Where was Jessica Jones a reporter? The Pulse? And thanks for mentioning Faith Herbert, who would have mentally dismissed as a fact-checker had I thought of her. Your suggestion has me giving her a second look. Also, I'd completely forgotten about Collin (Colin?) Thornton, and I'm thrilled by your observation about Luthor, because "publishers are evil" is pretty much a theme in comic books from the Golden Age is present ... and ain't no one more evil than Luthor!

Yes, Jessica Jones was connected to The Pulse, but as I recall, she was more a story source/consultant than a reporter.

Faith Herbert did move up from fact-checker to blogger at the website where she works somewhere along the way. If fact checkers don't count, then Astro City's Samaritan ("Asa Martin") wouldn't count, either.

And it is "Colin Thornton" with one "L."

"James Olsen Ron Troupe." bwah ha ha photo bwah.gif

ClarkKent_DC said:

Yes, Jessica Jones was connected to The Pulse, but as I recall, she was more a story source/consultant than a reporter.

I have been reading the Jessica Jones stories in order in the last couple of months. As you say, Jessica was a source and consultant, not a reporter.

LIZ TREMAYNE!

I forgot about Liz Tremayne, until that name popped up on this week's Swamp Thing!

Just curious, Skipper, are you just sticking to American comics, or will you be giving Tintin a mention?

He was menat to be a reporter, although precious little reporting we saw him do after his first few adventures.

"Just curious, Skipper, are you just sticking to American comics...?:"

Which raises the question what about comic strips?

Oh, definitely sticking to American comic books 1933-present, and nothing else. I'm not addressing anything published outside the U.S., nor am I addressing comic strips, except in passing. I'm writing a book, not an encylopedia.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service