This has been kicking around in my head for a while, and I think I did this on a past incarnation of the board ... let's take a stab at creating a "Mindset List" for today's fan of comic books and related pop culture.

We begin by following the baseline that the Beloit College Mindset List uses, of a typical reader being 18. I know it's a dubious standard for this exercise, but we've got to start somewhere ... and place a reasonable limit on what's relevant and what isn't.

So, to begin, here are the first entries in The Captain Comics Round Table Mindset List!

Our typical comics reader this year is about 18 and was born in 1997.

• Jack Kirby, Curt Swan, Wally Wood, E. Nelson Bridwell, and Don Newton have always been dead.
  • Image has always been a major comics publisher.
  • The DC Universe has always been post-Crisis.
  • A "dollar comic" is a digital download.
  • Harley Quinn has always been part of the Batman family of titles.
  • "Batman and Robin" has never meant Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson.
  • Wonder Woman has always been able to fly and has little need for the Invisible Plane.
  • Steve Trevor has never been Wonder Woman's love interest.
  • Tony Stark has always been a recovering alcoholic.
  • Howard the Duck has always worn pants.
  • The first Batman they saw in theaters was Christian Bale.
  • The first Superman they saw in theaters was Brandon Routh.
  • John Wesley Shipp plays The Flash's dad on TV, not The Flash himself. (But Mark Hamill plays The Trickster).
  • Helen Slater plays Supergirl's mom on TV, not Supergirl in the movies. Likewise, Dean Cain plays Supergirl's dad on TV, not Superman himself.

Thems for starters ... any more to add?

Views: 833

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

DneColt said:

On the practical level....

- Have only purchased comics in comic shops

- Have never purchased comics from a spinner rack in a drug store or a 7-11

- Have never seen a spinner rack in a drug store or 7-Eleven.

The corollary to that would be "Have never biked all over town to hit every spinner rack because different stores get different stuff."

...Jeff/Dne/Doc/Clark:

I am going to disagree here .

First , among big/established company standard-format comic books (Speaking as someone who bought them) , Archie's 32-page titles and the DC kids' titles we've called " Johnny DC " (which I think may have had a mutual agreement to be printed together - They definitely had some agreement regarding selling ads in both of them as a package , at least at one time) were both still on pulp paper till about 2009 , when they mutually went to slick and jumped to the " standard lowest " $2.99 price , rather than being one notch below the slp , as they had been .

Second , this old guy is maybe stepping on other old guys' misty-eyed nostalgia for " SNIFF ! I useta go out in my Keds , w/Batman cards stuck in the wheels of my bike , making a flip-flip-flipesque noise all over town , blissfully thinking of the Slurpee which awaited me (Hoped I could get the right DC characters cup)..."  but , first to be ultra-literal , I suppose the ever-nostalgized about" HEY KIDS ! Comics ! "white metal spinner rack may be only a nostalgic item in comics shops but...

Sub-subject now and continuing with super-literalness , when Borders carried standard comic books in their later years , they had a distinct type of rack for comic books' display , not the SA-style " HKC  ! " one , a more " modern/designer " covering more of the comics' cover & black-colored, heavier , one I would see there

Third , more to the point , the at least rather assumed concept behind this that , not only are there no newsstand accounts carrying comic books now in 2015 , but that for the last 12 years there have been none , is I believe extremely incorrect(Just as my comment re: the Beloit list and " Wi-Fi entitlement " .) ! (I started with limiting myself to standard funnybook format too , beyond that most obviously there's MAD , the off-and-on Disney Comic Zone...and Archie digests - still printed today on pulp paper...and the last time this humble unworthy one IIRC bought any Archie digests - just a couple of months/ish agone - was in a K-Mart !) I'll even point out that , until the 00s ,Barnes and Noble and Borders never carried standard comics , in the 00s they did ! Just Mr. Cranky Pants/Captain Bringdown here , eh :-) ?:-) Toobadwe don't have that "(bleep)-eating grin " emoticon , yes ?.....................

...That assumed example of the other old guys' (Hey should I acronym that into " OOG " from here on ???:-)) Keds nostalgia suitably neo-Bradburyesque enuff for ya ???????????:-)

Why would you stick cards in your bike, or stuff comics in your back pocket? While I have no intention of ever selling my poor to fair condition Incredible Hulk#181, I'd still like it to not look like I rolled over it in my sleep several times (which is probably what actually happened to it.)

Yesterday I saw a couple of kids looking at the Archie digests at Walmart. They didn't buy them but at least they knew who they were and were interested enough to look through the things. I didn't buy them either, but then I already owned several of the stories in other digests. Archie has thousands of stories to reprint, the same ones shouldn't keep turning up over and over. I must have three or four copies of "Dream Girl", a story opening with Betty waking up in bed screaming "No, Archie! You mustn't!" and I've passed on several digests that also contained that story. (It's a shocking story considering how they pushed the Comics Code all those years, but at least they edit out Betty's comment "What a turn on!" which she muttered in the original printing.)

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Jeff/Dne/Doc/Clark:

I am going to disagree here .

First , among big/established company standard-format comic books (Speaking as someone who bought them) , Archie's 32-page titles and the DC kids' titles we've called " Johnny DC " (which I think may have had a mutual agreement to be printed together - They definitely had some agreement regarding selling ads in both of them as a package , at least at one time) were both still on pulp paper till about 2009 , when they mutually went to slick and jumped to the " standard lowest " $2.99 price , rather than being one notch below the slp , as they had been .

What, exactly, are you disagreeing with here? Nobody said comics companies stopped publishing ink-on-paper comics.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

Second , this old guy is maybe stepping on other old guys' misty-eyed nostalgia for " SNIFF ! I useta go out in my Keds , w/Batman cards stuck in the wheels of my bike , making a flip-flip-flipesque noise all over town , blissfully thinking of the Slurpee which awaited me (Hoped I could get the right DC characters cup)..."  but , first to be ultra-literal , I suppose the ever-nostalgized about" HEY KIDS ! Comics ! "white metal spinner rack may be only a nostalgic item in comics shops but...

Sub-subject now and continuing with super-literalness , when Borders carried standard comic books in their later years , they had a distinct type of rack for comic books' display , not the SA-style " HKC  ! " one , a more " modern/designer " covering more of the comics' cover & black-colored, heavier , one I would see there

Yes, it's true that Borders Books and Music had spinner racks for comics (although a future installment of the Captain Comics Mindset List will say "Never bought comics at Borders Books and Music," because the company went out of business in 2011). But the statement above is, "Have never purchased comics from a spinner rack in a drug store or a 7-Eleven." You don't find spinner racks in those places any more, and haven't for years.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

Third , more to the point , the at least rather assumed concept behind this that , not only are there no newsstand accounts carrying comic books now in 2015 , but that for the last 12 years there have been none , is I believe extremely incorrect(Just as my comment re: the Beloit list and " Wi-Fi entitlement " .) ! (I started with limiting myself to standard funnybook format too , beyond that most obviously there's MAD , the off-and-on Disney Comic Zone...and Archie digests - still printed today on pulp paper...and the last time this humble unworthy one IIRC bought any Archie digests - just a couple of months/ish agone - was in a K-Mart !) I'll even point out that , until the 00s ,Barnes and Noble and Borders never carried standard comics , in the 00s they did ! Just Mr. Cranky Pants/Captain Bringdown here , eh :-) ?:-) Toobadwe don't have that "(bleep)-eating grin " emoticon , yes ?.....................

No, the rather assumed concept isn't that there are no newsstand accounts carrying comic books now in 2015; it's that the teenage comics fan doesn't buy his or her comics at the newsstand. First, newsstands themselves are fewer in number than they were. Second, comics shops are more plentiful than they were. Third, in the age when most media is downloadable, and whatever isn't is delivered by Amazon to your door, today's teens don't "bike all over town to hit every spinner rack because different stores get different stuff."

..Alright , I guess this comes down to everyone (yes , including myself) absolutely literalyl interpreting what they/everyone else said . That being the case:

But first , apart from 7-11's policies regarding comic books: It may very well be that that one specific chain carries no comic books anywhere now ,but it would be interesting to see what their policies have been over the years . Where I lived 7-11s weren't around until well into the 80s , IIRC . I think I once saw a reference by someone - John Jacob Miller ? Knowledgeable he's book distribution funny about. :-) - to 7-11 having en masse dropped comic books at some late 70sish point . However , I am sure that I saw comics in 7-11s into the 90s at least sometimes so they likely went back & forth .

I'll grant probably the comics I saw in 7-11s into the 90s likely did not have  spinner racks , I'll assume the company's policy went against that  but I do imagine that , even after that , there have been some newsstand accounts SOMEWHERE that had a spinner rack - of some kind , whether a HKC one or no - even if just because they picked them up from a gone-out-of-business comic shop !

However , your argument is just " Well , I only meant spinner racks in 7-11s and drugstores* , I didn't mean spinner racks anywhere else , including but not limited to Borders** " . But , you are saying that , in the years 2003-15 , absolutely no pharmacies anywhere in North America , including a smaller town or rather isolated neighborhood , had a spinner rack EVER ? (Or , if they did , NO ONE under 20 ever bought a comic book displayed there ?) In all the thousands of cities , towns , villages/parishes/hamlets , unincorporated areas and census-designated places in North America ? Really ?

And , likewise , no 18-ish year-old ANYWHERE in North America today , EVER , has EVER bought a standard format comic book from a newsstand account ? Really ? And no now-18ish , at ANY time in their life , lived in perhaps a small town or neighborhood with no comics shop , at least nearby , but maybe a , yes , a drugstore or general/knick-knack store or 7-11-cloning " convenience store " that carried comic books , at least a few ? Is the argument solely on whether they biked there ? ( I never learned how to ride a bicyle to this day , the last time I had a  training wheel-ed bike was the 60s , I walked around in the 70s to get comic books , often a fairely considerable distance . Howerer , granted , the literal argument is " no now 18ish in the years 2003-15ish " . But , if it's about whether they used a bike:-)...)

*-Defined as " a place with a regulated pharmacy counter inside it " .

**-Yes , someday Borders' going OOB will be relevant , but it ain't now !!!

...More on this: The phrase was " cheap newsprint " , which Archie and Johnny DC's standard-formats were , as I said , till about the time the JUGHEAD title had Sabrina revealing her witch-ness to Jughead .

Also , the Gladstone 32-page Disney comic books issued during the 00s were on pulp paper , albeit what I think was a better quality of pulp paper (& printing) than  the last J-DCs and Archies had ~ and maybe this'll set the stage for an argument about " Well , I said CHEAP newsprint , you yourself said it was ' better ' newsprint " !

My " Keds " paragraph was a joke about how many old fans do wax nostalgically that  way ~ And I didn't say anything about stuffing comics in your back pocket !

...I don't believe that NO now-18ish (NS18 ?) person in North America has ever purchased a comic book from a non-newsstand account in the last 12 years , which Dne does say . (And is it understood that when I refer to " newsstand " here I mean " any place selling returnable comics " whether it's literally a " newsstand " in the sense of a Barnes & Noble magazine section/the first-ever STEVE CANYON Sunday strip or not ?)

I also don't believe that no NS18 anywhere has never followed any of the remaining continuity strips (Even leaving out the officially humor strips ~ DOONESBURY , LUANNE ~ that have continuity sequences) at any time ever in the last 12 years , whether on a paper newspaper or on the Web . 

Yes , probably not a whole lot . That's not what was said .

I just do , partly , as I have said , get a tech annoyed with what I like??-called this " The INCREDIBLY KEWELL Younger Generation has NEVER..." attitude ~ I don't think that's accurate and , furthermore , I don't like what it ~ Implies ? Infers ? I don't have a B.A. myself , so I guess I'm , being Toothickfor University , not qualified .

As I said in the Beloit line , It has seemed that at least the simplified usage of the Beloit list my other news outlets implies?? this...And I see that no one tried to argue my example of my WA state friend and the lack of public WiFi in his area !

Literally speaking , not everybody , even leading a fairly " normal urban " life , does absolutely EVERYTHING that " everybody does " ~ I mentioned my home area's (In the outer-ish New York City suburbs) lack of 7-11s til' the 80s ,and  at least in my 17&1/2-ish years in the 9 counties of the SF Bay Area + Santa Cruz , I have never gone to a Wal-Mart ! Both real estate prices/traffic and the political climate discourage them ,and I don't have a car . When I was in the Seattle area some months ago , by contrast , there were ones nearby reachable by bus and I did go , you may remember my posting here about these five-dollar TPBs from Marvel I saw (& bought) there...

At some point people talking about putting cards in their bicycles usually get around to stuffing comics in their back pocket.

I haven't seen comics at 7-11 since the late 70s, but then the 7-11 around here closed not that long afterwards. There are similar types of stores still around, but not the same thing, and I don't recall ever seen comics in any of them. The store that used to be 7-11 looks like a cheap 99 cent store now, and except for candy bars I can't even imagine anyone buying the junk they sell. I actually got few comics from the 7-11, mostly Charlton horror and a few copies of Famous Monsters of Filmland. And those superhero cups. When I returned to comics in the early 80s I got them from the spinner racks at Waldenbooks until I discovered a comic book store.

Comic book shops are becoming more plentiful again? Most of the stories around here disappeared back around the Heroes World debacle.

Think the original Teen Titans were Robin, Beast Boy, Cyborg, Raven, and Starfire.

Think Wonder Girl always had blonde hair.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service