From SDCC:

THE FLASH BRINGS TWO DC COMICS CHARACTERS TO CENTRAL CITY FOR SEASON TWO

Teddy Sears (Masters of Sex) Joins the Cast as Jay Garrick and Shantel VanSanten (The Messengers, The Final Destination) as Patty Spivot

BURBANK, Calif. (July 11, 2015) — Hit Super Hero action/drama The Flash (Tuesdays 8/7c The CW) is getting up to speed for season two by bringing two new characters to join The Fastest Man Alive in Central City, with both hailing from the DC Comics Universe.

Teddy Sears photo by Rainer Hosch

Teddy Sears (Masters of Sex, Raising the Bar) has been cast as Jay Garrick, who is well known to comic book fans as the first DC Comics character to take on the mantle of The Flash. In the TV show, Jay is a mysterious figure who arrives in Central City to warn Barry Allen and his team at S.T.A.R. Labs of an impending danger that he alone cannot hope to stop.

The Flash executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said, “Having Jay Garrick come onto the show was one of our earliest ideas. It is so exciting, as we rush into season two, that we finally get to bring the Crimson Comet to life. We couldn’t imagine anyone more suited to play the original Flash than Teddy.”

Shantel VanSanten photo by Smile XXVII Studios

Shantel VanSanten (The Messengers, The Final Destination, One Tree Hill) has been set for the role of Patty Spivot. A more recent addition to The Flash’s comic book history, Patty Spivot is a police officer and science enthusiast who catches the eye of Barry Allen. Patty is obsessed with metahumans and partners with Det. Joe West this season but has no idea that her new crush is The Flash.

“We were huge fans of The Messengers and are excited to have Shantel join us to help complicate Barry Allen’s love life in season two,” said Kreisberg.

Based on the characters from DC Comics, The Flash is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television. The series returns for season two on Tuesday, October 6, at 8/7c on The CW.

Jay Garrick, copyright DC Entertainment Inc.

Patty Spivot, copyright DC Entertainment Inc.

THE FLASH signing photos (Sat, July 11): http://comiccon.thewb.com/the-flash-signing-3/ or https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153587427978777.1073741...

Views: 3313

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mr. Silver Age said:

I guess eliminating Eobard changed the past and the future in some Doctor Who-ish way in which only the things they want changed were affected.

I guess that clarifies my questions about the early completion of the particle accelerator and the memories everyone has of someone who never existed.

I'll be interested to see if/when Jay gets his powers back. I thought he might when Barry was throwing lightning around, but that might make too many speedsters too fast. He can be a mentor for now. I thought it strange that they said he'd had his powers for only two years rather than for much longer, as with the comics Jay. Barry has had his for at least a year, I'd figure, so Jay isn't that much further along the curve.

I have no doubt that Jay will get his powers back sooner or later. Making him a little older and only having his power for two years doesn't bother me. Tying the JSA characters to the 1940s when they didn't have to was a mistake on DC's part. OTOH they didn't think the comics would be continuing and being discussed all these years later.

I'm not really up on current Flash comics. The speed force came along after I stopped reading them. Is this throwing lightning thing from the comics?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

The homage to the "Flash of Two Worlds" comic book cover was pretty cool. Thanks for the "easter egg" that only comics fans would get! 

The thing is, he was acting as though he'd been the Flash for a lot longer. The mentor aspect makes more sense if he had a bit more history behind him.

Earth-Two looked pretty good, however.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"I thought it strange that they said he'd had his powers for only two years rather than for much longer, as with the comics Jay."

I had the same thought. But just as the Flash tv show is an amalgam of many different Flash comic books, I think Jay Garrick being a little bit older than Barry and a little bit more experienced is a compromise between the historical Earth-2 Flash and the "New 52" version, in which the JSA and the JLA are more-or-less contemporaries.

That meme showed up all over FB (at least on my feed), and it made me wonder: They used the still shot of the cover, but to show it was replicated, they made a GIF of a short repeating scene that's kind of annoying to watch jerk around (at least for my non-Millenial eyes) when they could have picked the still that exactly matched it. Because why make a still when you can make a 5-second GIF? They don't call me Mr. Silver Age for nothing. Now get off my lawn.

Earth-2 looked hilarious, a 1950s version of the future. Even Jay's outfit has a bit of a WW II bomber look to it. I'm just really happy they weren't wearing one-piece  jump suits or ascots! I hope we get to spend a lot more time there.

-- MSA

It sounds like Earth-2 science is different from Earth-1 science -- superior, at least, when it comes to the technobabble used to set up the connection between the earths. Probably inferior in other ways.

Anybody recognize the fella who came through the wormhole at the end? I felt like we were supposed to.

From the previews, it looks like Martin Stein will have to Firestorm-merge with a young black kid to survive. Comics logic says Jason Rusch, but there's a different name on imdb.com.

Anybody recognize the fella who came through the wormhole at the end? I felt like we were supposed to.

To me, it looked like the lovechild of Tom Cavanagh and Bruce Greenwood, but I'm guessing it was just Cavanagh with weird lighting.

Wentworth Miller's performance was terrific, and is making me more enthusiastic about Legends.

The AV Club review said it was the Dr. Welles of Earth-2. Dunno if they were guessing or what, but apparently it was Cavanagh.

On the same night we get a really strong effort from Agents of SHIELD, we get one of the worst episodes of Flash. (And one of the worst might be being generous.) This one had barely anything to do with Barry -- it was all about setting up the new Firestorm status quo, complete with dialogue that came off either feebleminded ("You're 100% a hero") or subtly racist ("Use your natural athleticism!"). The whole thing could have used another pass or two to sharpen it up.

All the arguments in favor of Jackson becoming a superhero are childish -- "don't you want to be a superhero? Why not, huh?" -- but because he's shown as having absolutely zero life beyond the garage he works in, he's eventually willing to chuck it all to save someone he doesn't know (a fact that wasn't even brought up in the initial pitch!) and leave all his friends and family behind to go to Pittsburgh. I like the character fine (aside from his name), but we've been shown precious little of who he is or why he made that choice, other than "hero! yay!" 

And then we get the last minute and a half, with the best cameo-appearance villain ever. Which was a joy, but it doesn't make up for the previous hour.

I'm really shipping Barry/Patty right now.

It seemed more like a segue for Legends of Tomorrow and I guess if they have Welles 2.0 they don't need Professor Stein (sadly).

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

.... or subtly racist ("Use your natural athleticism!").

He has been established as a star quarterback likely to get a college scholarship. I don't think calling a proven athlete an athlete can be inferred as racism.

.... to save someone he doesn't know....

Any hero who isn't willing to save strangers isn't much of a hero.

..... leave all his friends and family behind to go to Pittsburgh.

This sounds like a shot against Pittsburgh. What would George Romero say? Did he seem to HAVE friends and family? He seemed pretty miserable. Sacrifice is also part of being a hero. It was established that he was the ONLY option to save Professor Stein. As far as I can tell they can still separate into two people, just not permanently.

I like the character fine (aside from his name), but we've been shown precious little of who he is or why he made that choice, other than "hero! yay!"

I agree some of the dialogue could have been better. It may have been a little rushed since I think Legends of Tomorrow is supposed to start immediately after The Flash season ends. They still have to introduce Carter Hall and Kendra Saunders (Hawkman and Hawkgirl) for that show and explain the "-girl" suffix. Apparently Kendra was in the final episode of season one but I don't remember her. Carter Hall/Hawkman is apparently going to be introduced in Arrow next month.

And then we get the last minute and a half, with the best cameo-appearance villain ever.

I got a big kick out of The Shark. Is this what he looks like in recent comics? I have a soft spot in my heart for the original Gil Kane version.

"Atleticism" would be fine. "Natural athleticism" made me cringe. No doubt Stein was referring to Jackson's football history, but it just seemed kind of tone-deaf to me. I'm sure it was completely unintentional. 

And sure, Jackson should want to save strangers. But they didn't even use that as part of their initial sale of the notion to him. It just seemed sloppy and rushed to me. 

I think that was King Shark, a different character from the Shark*. (Of course, since he's from Earth 2, he could also be Chacaron, a member of Helix. But I think the showrunners ID'd him as King Shark in an interview.) That's pretty much what he looked like pre-New 52. When he showed up in early issues of the New 52 Suicide Squad, I think they chaned him to a hammerhead. 

*Come to think of it, with his telepathic powers, The Shark was basically GL's Gorilla Grodd!

It was also so ridiculously rushed.

As for Kendra, she appeared for about one second watching the events of the finale. You pretty much had to know she was going to be there to make anything of the appearance.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service