From SDCC:

THE FLASH BRINGS TWO DC COMICS CHARACTERS TO CENTRAL CITY FOR SEASON TWO

Teddy Sears (Masters of Sex) Joins the Cast as Jay Garrick and Shantel VanSanten (The Messengers, The Final Destination) as Patty Spivot

BURBANK, Calif. (July 11, 2015) — Hit Super Hero action/drama The Flash (Tuesdays 8/7c The CW) is getting up to speed for season two by bringing two new characters to join The Fastest Man Alive in Central City, with both hailing from the DC Comics Universe.

Teddy Sears photo by Rainer Hosch

Teddy Sears (Masters of Sex, Raising the Bar) has been cast as Jay Garrick, who is well known to comic book fans as the first DC Comics character to take on the mantle of The Flash. In the TV show, Jay is a mysterious figure who arrives in Central City to warn Barry Allen and his team at S.T.A.R. Labs of an impending danger that he alone cannot hope to stop.

The Flash executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said, “Having Jay Garrick come onto the show was one of our earliest ideas. It is so exciting, as we rush into season two, that we finally get to bring the Crimson Comet to life. We couldn’t imagine anyone more suited to play the original Flash than Teddy.”

Shantel VanSanten photo by Smile XXVII Studios

Shantel VanSanten (The Messengers, The Final Destination, One Tree Hill) has been set for the role of Patty Spivot. A more recent addition to The Flash’s comic book history, Patty Spivot is a police officer and science enthusiast who catches the eye of Barry Allen. Patty is obsessed with metahumans and partners with Det. Joe West this season but has no idea that her new crush is The Flash.

“We were huge fans of The Messengers and are excited to have Shantel join us to help complicate Barry Allen’s love life in season two,” said Kreisberg.

Based on the characters from DC Comics, The Flash is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television. The series returns for season two on Tuesday, October 6, at 8/7c on The CW.

Jay Garrick, copyright DC Entertainment Inc.

Patty Spivot, copyright DC Entertainment Inc.

THE FLASH signing photos (Sat, July 11): http://comiccon.thewb.com/the-flash-signing-3/ or https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153587427978777.1073741...

Views: 3713

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

April 26/May 3 EPISODES:

Last week's episode was one of the weakest in the entire run -- without Flash's super speed, the show really dragged, and Griffin Gray was never much of a villain, on the comics page or off. (Or at least, in the comics I've read with him in them. He appeared in the Bart Allen run of Flash, the only run to drive me away from the book (until Brett Booth's art just exhausted me in recent months). 

This week's episode was better -- we got some speed feats thanks to the hologram, and some good stuff with Cisco ("LEEEROYYYYY!") and Dante. And next week promises some progress on the speed front.

But the most interesting development to me was as the energy that was Barry sped out of STAR Labs, it passed through Wally and Jesse. So they might be setting it up that they'll get the powers their namesakes from comics have. And one thing about that really impressed me, because it's an actual improvement on the comics.

In the comics, Barry is just showing Wally what chemicals were on his shelf the night he got his powers, when suddenly a lightning bolt comes down and strikes them, splashing Wally with the same chemicals and giving him the same powers. What a freak accident! What are the odds?

But on the TV show, there's a plausible (well, TV-plausible) reason for them to recreate the whole incident -- Barry needs to get his powers back. So of course the chemicals are set up for him, and of course there needs to be lightning (using Weather Wizard's wand was a brilliant touch), and because it's the TV origin, the particle accelerator needs to be switched on again, too. The entire setup is intended to give someone super speed -- so when/if it gives it to Wally/Jesse, it makes more sense than a coincidental recreation of those events. (Although I sure hope Jesse needs to use the equation they've been teasing us with on some episodes!)

PS: What's up with the revelation that Garrick is Henry Allen's mother's maiden name? Will the real Earth-2 Jay Garrick be played by Shipp?

Maybe that's the "man in the iron mask" in Zoom's lair?

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

PS: What's up with the revelation that Garrick is Henry Allen's mother's maiden name? Will the real Earth-2 Jay Garrick be played by Shipp?

Yeah, I think so -- I think he's the real Garrick, whoever is playing him. I can't think of anything else that would have enough storytelling oomph.

Zoom is taken down in the final episode by four speedsters-- Barry (I doubt he's really dead), Real-Garrick, and Kid Flash and Jesse Quick, given powers (I imagine we're all guessing) by the events of the most recent ep.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Yeah, I think so -- I think he's the real Garrick, whoever is playing him. I can't think of anything else that would have enough storytelling oomph.

Good assessment of the last two episodes, Rob. It hadn't occurred to me that the "man in the mask" might be the real Earth-2 Jay Garrick, but now that you've brought it up I'll bet you're right. That would also give the "Golden Age" and modern day Flashes a familial connection.

Zoom is taken down in the final episode by four speedsters-- Barry (I doubt he's really dead),

Whaaaa? You don't think the lead on a super-hero show who was shown vanishing without leaving a body is dead? How could that be?

Actually, I'm puzzled by all the lamentations over Laurel Lance being dead on Arrow. Sorry, not buying it. If she's really dead, that's on the storytellers for making death so cheap in the Arrowverse. Plus, something she said at some point makes me think she could fake it, but I don't remember why I thought that at the time. So yeah, I'm with you--they aren't planning to turn the show into the Wally & Jesse Adventure Hour next year.

However, I DID like that Barry Allen showed up at Laurel's funeral to console Ollie. Those little one-scene cameos are fun. It doesn't even bother me that they don't interact more to help with each other's big villains, as they're both elusive enough to make a team-up at any particular time impractical.

Real-Garrick, and Kid Flash and Jesse Quick, given powers

I think we all assumed Wally and Jesse were going to get powers at some point. It was the main reason for introducing a mother to have an unknown son, and Jesse was even called Quick at one point. To their credit, it took awhile before I realized what her destiny was. This gives them the perfect opportunity to do that in some form.

That Henry's doppelganger is the real Earth-2 Flash makes sense for why he had to be kept in a mask (which seems to be mostly for our benefit rather than a story point). I can see him going back to Earth-2 with his powers, but what will happen to Wally and Jesse? Coming up with a villain who can menace the Flash for an entire season has clearly been taxing, what can possibly take on three of them?

I like the Flash Family in the comics, but they seldom are together--it takes away a lot of the appeal when lots of people have the same power, especially one that should be so overwhelming if done right. Maybe they'll manifest in different ways or spread out around the country. 

-- MSA

I think Wally has been (temporarily somehow) absorbed by the speed force.

Either at the end of this week's episode or in the preview it said they were searching for Barry in another dimension or another earth. Zoom apparently thinks he's dead. I like the idea of Henry's doppelganger being the Earth 2 Jay, especially since it reestablishes the idea of Jay being older than Barry. The way to use Wally's and Jesse's speed might be to make it temporary, since they didn't go through all the steps Barry did. They could be secret weapons to surprise Zoom.

Jesse's is temporary by its nature (in the comics) -- she has to reconnect with the Speed Force using the equation. Which on the show could take a little while to figure out, taking her speed off the board until it's really needed again.

Wouldn't it be neat if Henry did get super-speed temporarily and wore something similar to the 90s TV Flash outfit?

Or if the Man in the Iron Mask WAS the 90s TV Flash?

The only problem with Wally and Jesse both getting super-speed is that there would be too many speedsters around.

Something that bothers me is that the Flash team not only haven't thought of a way of defeating Zoom, they have no idea what to do with him if they do! Will they arrest him? Imprison him? Take away his powers? Banish him? Kill him?

They have no endgame!

Taking away his powers (and then jailing him) seems the best thing; they've shown it can be done, since they were able to take away Barry's powers.

Jesse Quick returns to Earth-Two as its speedster, and Kid Flash hangs around for at least a season. The problem is they'll either need for the villains to be more dangerous or the heroes to behave even more idiotically if they're going to challenge a pair of speedsters on a weekly basis, so your point is valid.

Philip Portelli said:

The only problem with Wally and Jesse both getting super-speed is that there would be too many speedsters around.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service