From SDCC:

THE FLASH BRINGS TWO DC COMICS CHARACTERS TO CENTRAL CITY FOR SEASON TWO

Teddy Sears (Masters of Sex) Joins the Cast as Jay Garrick and Shantel VanSanten (The Messengers, The Final Destination) as Patty Spivot

BURBANK, Calif. (July 11, 2015) — Hit Super Hero action/drama The Flash (Tuesdays 8/7c The CW) is getting up to speed for season two by bringing two new characters to join The Fastest Man Alive in Central City, with both hailing from the DC Comics Universe.

Teddy Sears photo by Rainer Hosch

Teddy Sears (Masters of Sex, Raising the Bar) has been cast as Jay Garrick, who is well known to comic book fans as the first DC Comics character to take on the mantle of The Flash. In the TV show, Jay is a mysterious figure who arrives in Central City to warn Barry Allen and his team at S.T.A.R. Labs of an impending danger that he alone cannot hope to stop.

The Flash executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said, “Having Jay Garrick come onto the show was one of our earliest ideas. It is so exciting, as we rush into season two, that we finally get to bring the Crimson Comet to life. We couldn’t imagine anyone more suited to play the original Flash than Teddy.”

Shantel VanSanten photo by Smile XXVII Studios

Shantel VanSanten (The Messengers, The Final Destination, One Tree Hill) has been set for the role of Patty Spivot. A more recent addition to The Flash’s comic book history, Patty Spivot is a police officer and science enthusiast who catches the eye of Barry Allen. Patty is obsessed with metahumans and partners with Det. Joe West this season but has no idea that her new crush is The Flash.

“We were huge fans of The Messengers and are excited to have Shantel join us to help complicate Barry Allen’s love life in season two,” said Kreisberg.

Based on the characters from DC Comics, The Flash is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television. The series returns for season two on Tuesday, October 6, at 8/7c on The CW.

Jay Garrick, copyright DC Entertainment Inc.

Patty Spivot, copyright DC Entertainment Inc.

THE FLASH signing photos (Sat, July 11): http://comiccon.thewb.com/the-flash-signing-3/ or https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153587427978777.1073741...

Views: 3593

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree, and I'm not sure why they did it that way. They could have introduced him at the beginning of the season--they could easily have given him some of the time those interminable visits from Iris' mother got, which I assume are going to be significant in some way, probably through the son.

I kind of grew to like Stein, so I'm sorry to see him go. Otherwise, it was a fast set-up for something that apparently won't be much involved with the series. I hope a lot of episodes don't become setups for another show.

-- MSA

Although Earth-2 Wells and Jay Garrick are antagonistic toward each other, I think they're both good guys. I kind of miss the "nice" Earth-1 "Wells" but I'm enjoying the new character dynamic. Is Professor Zoom the Earth-2 version of Eobard Thawne, do you think? Did they establish that Earth-1 counterparts must die for their Earth-2 dopplegangers to exist on Earth-1? If so, what about Earth-1 Jay Garrick? Stand to reason that there should be one on the TV show, even if there's not one in the comics.

Oh, and Cisco is Vibe? That doesn't bode well. I'm hoping that was just an in-joke.

I thought this was a much better episode -- although characterizing Jay as a coward seems unnecessary. (Of course, that's mostly just Welles's opinion.) Loved the date. The dialogue was 100% better in this one, too. 

And we finally get to meet Kendra -- which is nice, but promises another spin-off-oriented episode in the near future. Let's hope it's better than the last one.

I'm also not crazy of the "must kill your duplicate" clause; not sure if that's a rule of the universe, or just a way of getting out from under Zoom's thumb. But if it's the latter, why didn't it work for Atom Smasher?

I'm a bit annoyed that Earth-Two's Linda Park is Doctor Light as the female Doctor Light was a hero (as was Atom-Smasher). Also Linda's of Chinese descent (I think) and Doctor Light II was Japanese so it seems like an weird switching of Asians for convenience sake.

Not thrilled about Jay just walking away and being made out as a failure.

Now there are four really attractive women on this show and Barry (or Grant) kissed them all!

And we're supposed to feel sorry for him!

You wanna know something else I liked about this episode? Temporarily blinded, Barry Allen goes out on a first date with Patty Spivot. He and Cisco rig up a high tech solution to fake sight... and she sees through it, saying, "I wouldn't be much of a dectective if I couldn't figure that out." Good for you, Patty!

Linda's Korean -- or at least she is in the comics, and Park is a common Korean surname -- but I get your point. It was like they were about to introduce a new Asian woman to the show and said, "Wait, we already have one!" I'd have liked to see Kimyo, too.

And yeah, I loved every bit of that date. What do you call that color? It should be thanking you for wearing it. Barry and Patty have so much more chemistry here than they do in the comics, and than Barry & Iris have on the show. I'm already shipping.

And with Wally looking like he'll be Iris's long-lost half-brother (younger by less than a year), he's totally available to fate Linda once he's introduced!

Philip Portelli said:

Not thrilled about Jay just walking away and being made out as a failure.

I don't like Jay being branded as a coward. Whether he's a failure, however, is undetermined, as far as I'm concerned, since we have only Harrison Wells Version 2.0's word on that. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Oh, and Cisco is Vibe? That doesn't bode well. I'm hoping that was just an in-joke.

I don't think so. In the comics his powers were recently upgraded and are actually pretty similar to the TV version.

They have the great Tony Todd doing the voice of Zoom.

I'm wondering if Eddie or maybe Earth 2 Eddie will turn out to be Zoom.

Prior to her appearance on the show I had no previous exposure to Patty Spivot. I have to agree that she's a breath of fresh air. Her date with Barry was amusing, natural and showcased her intelligence.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service