Holy cow, that was the best thing the CW has ever given me for my birthday.

This is everything I'd want a Flash show to be. There are some changes to the mythos -- the particle accelerator being the source of most or all of the super powers in the area -- but I'm okay with that. It gives the show some unity, and asks us to believe one unbelievable thing instead of asking us to believe a new unbelievable thing every week. I think it's a smart approach. 

Grant Gustin is perfect as Barry -- younger than when I'd first encountered the character, but with so much heart and good humor. I'm stunned at how well he inhabits the part.
I'm most concerned about Thawne's inclusion -- I hope they don't rush through that, putting the prime suspect for his mother's murder right up front. And, frankly, I think growing up with Iris is makes that relationship a little odd, too... and ultimately she might not be the one he ends up with because of that dynamic. (I don't think they plan for that not to happen, but it might be that the show finds itself unable to surmount the squick factor and decides to go another way.)

But I love the cast, the supporting characters (especially at the lab) are great, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! For me, this is head and shoulders above Gotham -- even after this week's ridiculous Balloon Man episode, where I'm finally starting to enjoy it for the cheese it brings to the table.

Views: 4310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree about the incest feel to this Iris, even though they technically aren't blood relatives. I hope it doesn't happen, and doubt that it will.

As to the Easter eggs: it's only an issue if you're a really detail-oriented fan. I used to be a Flash fan. Having read all of the Wally West stories for many years, plus a generous helping of Barry Allen Silver Age, I think I probably know a lot more Flash history than the average TV viewer. But I'm not focused on details like the given names of the Flash villains.

John Moret said:

That was actually one of the drawbacks for me. I found there was TOO MANY Easter eggs in the pilot... 

I like that they made John Wesley Shipp Barry's father because, well, he is, in a way as the previous Barry Allen. I am hoping that Barry finds another love interest besides Iris. The idea of them more or less growing up in the same house, it kind of gives a slightly "incesty" vibe to any romance. Maybe that is just me though.

Captain Comics said:

This series is so rife with Easter eggs, it's hard to remember them all to post them here!

When I have watched Tom Cavanagh is this show and a few others over the years I've always enjoyed him.

Between Flash, Arrow, and Gotham there have been a ton of Easter eggs. I'm to the point where I just let them wash over me. The one that cracked me up was on Arrow this week. Ray Palmer's assistant was named Gerry Conway!

Caught up on Flash this weekend, and I may enjoy this show as much as any of the comics-to-TV bonanza we're enjoying.

I'm like you, RIchard -- I'm not even pointing out all the Easter eggs to my wife any more. For one thing, they're not all Easter eggs any more, in that the shows are setting up their own continuity where comics references are transforming into TV references. I guess they're not eggs any more, they're chickens.

Anyway, I liked Captain Cold more than I thought I would -- the actor carried it well -- but even so there were a couple of times where I thought "a cold gun just isn't a challenge for a guy who can run faster than sound." (I also feel that way about the comics.) A couple of times Snart was monologing and I was wondering why Flash didn't simply whiz by and disarm him. No, scratch that -- just like in the comics, I knew that Flash would underperform so that Cold appeared a legitimate threat.

But, hey, I'm willing to write that off to Barry being a newbie here. Plus, it looks like Snart is going to launch the Rogues as a team from the start, beginning with recruiting Mick Rory (and giving him his Heat Wave gun). With two of them shooting at civilians simultaneously, Flash would be tested. And Weather Wizard's already been introduced, so it could be a trio very quickly.

I quite enjoyed the scene of Flash saving the people in the train wreck. Well done, and almost beautiful.

As to Iris, I can't believe that with all this set-up that they won't eventually be a couple. But, yeah, the incest vibe is strong and kinda yuchy. Also that they have almost nothing in common, except the accident of having grown up in the same house -- seriously, Felicity Smoak IS a better match for him. If Iris and Barry actually dated, they'd probably grow bored with each other, since neither is interested in what the other is interested in.

I'm enjoying Joe West more than I thought as well. I like it that he's "in the loop," because the secret identity schtick is even less plausible on TV than in comics, where the longer the secret is kept, the stupider the people who don't know look. Right now Iris is looking a little dim ...

Maybe they learned from Arrow, where Det. Lance, who would actually meet on rooftops with a guy in a hood and not know it was Ollie Queen, whom he'd known since Ollie was a child, which made him look spectacularly stupid. They eventually corrected that, by having Lance give a speech saying he doesn't want to know who's under the hood or he might have to reveal it under oath -- IOW, he does know, but he doesn't want to confirm it.

Captain Comics said:

Anyway, I liked Captain Cold more than I thought I would -- the actor carried it well -- but even so there were a couple of times where I thought "a cold gun just isn't a challenge for a guy who can run faster than sound." (I also feel that way about the comics.) A couple of times Snart was monologing and I was wondering why Flash didn't simply whiz by and disarm him. No, scratch that -- just like in the comics, I knew that Flash would underperform so that Cold appeared a legitimate threat.

It's just like Superman. If you really have the hero perform up to his abilities you have ten minutes stories.

But, hey, I'm willing to write that off to Barry being a newbie here. Plus, it looks like Snart is going to launch the Rogues as a team from the start, beginning with recruiting Mick Rory (and giving him his Heat Wave gun). With two of them shooting at civilians simultaneously, Flash would be tested. And Weather Wizard's already been introduced, so it could be a trio very quickly.

Weather Wizard was shot by (I think) Joe West at the end of his episode, saving Barry. In one of the following episodes they said he was dead.

I quite enjoyed the scene of Flash saving the people in the train wreck. Well done, and almost beautiful.

I agree. It really got across the wonder of the character.

I'm enjoying Joe West more than I thought as well.

As I said before, Jesse L. Martin is getting to do a lot more acting on this show than on Law & Order. He really sells the character and helps to ground the stories.

I knew that WW was shot and dead, but he was thought dead once before, so that trick is in their arsenal. Arrow, too, returns characters thought dead here and there (Deathstroke, Malcolm Merlyn). So it's not a stretch.

And there were two guys in the car, also, in the event that created Weather Wizard. I don't recall if they found a body for the other one. Did they?

I'm pretty sure the dead villain from the first episode was Clyde Marden, Mark's brother. (Who, in his original origin, Mark killed for the Weather Wand.) So Weather Wizard is still out there, and despite his powers preceding him, remains to be seen.

There we go. The Rogues have to have a Weather Wizard, don't they? Also a Mirror Master and a Trickster, but one step at a time! Oh, and we saw an empty cell at S.T.A.R. Labs with the legend "Gorilla Grodd," so he's out there, too.

I can live without Golden Glider, Rainbow Raider (Roy G. Bivolo? C'mawwwwn!) and the rest of the B- and C-listers.

Incidentally, in the New 52, Weather Wizard is Hispanic, Marcos Marden. That doesn't seem to be carrying over.

The next one is supposed to be Girder, one of the Wally West bad guys. The later baddies always seemed inferior to me.

That's what's wrong with the FF. Too many people think Stan and Jack's villains are old fashioned now and later villains tended not to be very good.

Incidentally, in case y'all missed it, here's the column I wrote for Tribune a month ago on Flash and Arrow. It's harder than it looks to write about these things in advance, y'know!

I just heard that the December 2 episode of The Flash and the December 3 episode of Arrow will be a crossover. The Nov24-Dec7 issue of TV Guide has an article about the crossover. It will involve Captain Boomerang and Rainbow Raider.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service