Holy cow, that was the best thing the CW has ever given me for my birthday.

This is everything I'd want a Flash show to be. There are some changes to the mythos -- the particle accelerator being the source of most or all of the super powers in the area -- but I'm okay with that. It gives the show some unity, and asks us to believe one unbelievable thing instead of asking us to believe a new unbelievable thing every week. I think it's a smart approach. 

Grant Gustin is perfect as Barry -- younger than when I'd first encountered the character, but with so much heart and good humor. I'm stunned at how well he inhabits the part.
I'm most concerned about Thawne's inclusion -- I hope they don't rush through that, putting the prime suspect for his mother's murder right up front. And, frankly, I think growing up with Iris is makes that relationship a little odd, too... and ultimately she might not be the one he ends up with because of that dynamic. (I don't think they plan for that not to happen, but it might be that the show finds itself unable to surmount the squick factor and decides to go another way.)

But I love the cast, the supporting characters (especially at the lab) are great, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! For me, this is head and shoulders above Gotham -- even after this week's ridiculous Balloon Man episode, where I'm finally starting to enjoy it for the cheese it brings to the table.

Views: 4442

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, I caught the "quantum splicer" looked like Firestorm's comic-book suit (except for color), and I imagine he'll keep it. (You don't think he REALLY blew up, do you?) Also, I chuckled at the Conway award. There are so many Easter eggs in Flash, though, that I no longer explain them to the Vixen. She knows what that chuckle means.

Anybody else think that the general's reaction to a nuclear bomb near Central City was kinda subdued? I mean, NUCLEAR BOMB NEAR AMERICAN CITY. His reaction was "hey, let's get that cool technology." And, honestly, Central City should be in danger of some fallout, even if Firestorm went off in "The Badlands." (Where the hell are they, anyway, Utah?) It was described as 30-45 miles away from Central, and the old saying is true that "close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear bombs."

I recognized Linda from the Wally West Flash, but it didn't occur to me until reading this thread what a temporal anomaly it was to have two Mrs. Flashes meeting. (Perhaps I was still recovering from Riddler-Penguin.) I agree that Linda was a bit selfish about the work emergencies, and I really can't believe she agreed to go out with him because he threw up in the newsroom. Frankly, I doubt that would work very well with a real girl. But what the heck -- in scripted shows, doing things we call IRL "stalking" and "breaking and entering" are considered romantic, and the couple end up together at the end!

The last two episodes were movie-quality with sequels and spin-offs not only possible but necessary.

Finally saw this week's episode. PORCUPINE MAN???

And more importantly, Victor Garber plays an amazing Martin Stein.

I just watched last week's episode and realized that Barry's not even trying to keep his identity a secret any more is he?*  He didn't even hesitate to show off his powers in front of Stein's wife.

As far as I can remember, the list of those in the know so far is:

Harrison Wells

Caitlin Snow

Cisco Ramon

Joe West

Hartley Rathaway

Ronnie Raymond

Martin Stein

Clarissa Stein

Wade Eiling (assuming Grodd hasn't killed him)

Oliver Queen

Felicity Smoak

John Diggle

Roy Harper

Have I forgotten anybody?

*Unless of course, you're Iris.

I thought the same thing when he ran to get the pizza. Stein's wife didn't even react.

KSwolf said:

I just watched last week's episode and realized that Barry's not even trying to keep his identity a secret any more is he?.

Watching Arrow, I saw a promo saying that The Flash won't have a new episode until March 17.    :-(

When it does it will have The Weather Wizard (Mark Mardon, brother of the deceased WW)           :-)

Secret identities are out. Iron Man didn't take long to tell everyone he was Tony Stark.

Anyone remember the story where Barry imagined what would happen if everyone knew he was the Flash and decided it would be a horrible mistake? In the comics he didn't even tell his wife after they were married.

Secret identities are half the fun of the superhero concept. People talk about superheroes being adolescent power fantasies, but that's only part of it. It's not just the fantasy of having power, but also that nobody else knows that you have power. The rest of the world may get on your case sometimes, but you have a secret edge over them. Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster understood that.

Bob Buethe said:

Secret identities are half the fun of the superhero concept. People talk about superheroes being adolescent power fantasies, but that's only part of it. It's not just the fantasy of having power, but also that nobody else knows that you have power. The rest of the world may get on your case sometimes, but you have a secret edge over them. Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster understood that.

photo target.gif

Siegel and Shuster also understood the good guys should be better than the bad guys. Again, look at Iron Man today.

The real reason for secret identies is being a vigilante is illegal. There were some very early Superman stories where he had to run from the police. In his first story he breaks into the governor's house, assaults his aid (yes, the aid shoots at him first, but as far as he knows a maniac is trying to kill his boss), and forces him to look at evidence in a murder trial.

That may be the practical explanation, but Jerry Siegel said in an interview with Nemo magazine:

Clark Kent grew not only out of my private life, but also out of Joe's. As a high school student, I thought that some day I might become a reporter, and I had crushes on several attractive girls who either didn't know I existed or didn't care I existed. As a matter of fact, some of them looked like they hoped I didn't exist. It occurred to me: What if I was real terrific? What if I had something special going for me, like jumping over buildings or throwing cars around or something like that? Then maybe they would notice me. That night when all the thoughts were coming to me, the concept came to me that Superman could have a dual identity, and that in one of his identities he could be meek and mild, as I was, and wear glasses, the way I do. The heroine, who I figured would be a girl reporter, would think he was some sort of a worm; yet she would be crazy about this Superman character who could do all sorts of fabulous things. In fact, she was real wild about him, and a big inside joke was that the fellow she was crazy about was also the fellow whom she loathed.

Some joke, letting my girl think I was a worm.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Philip Portelli replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"My mistake! I double-checked my Flash Gordon books and they're NOT by Hermes Press but by…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
""I've seen the Flash Gordon serial, never seen the Buck Rogers one." Flash Gordon…"
2 hours ago
"Yes, the "Yellow Peril" was sadly prevalent when Buck Rogers and Flash…"
2 hours ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"In the original comics, the 25th Century was dominated by the Mongol Empire.  Later World War…"
3 hours ago
"I never had the opportunity though I do have six volumes of the Hermes Press Flash…"
3 hours ago
"Ever read the original Buck Rogers comic strips from the the late 1920's and early…"
3 hours ago
"Even though Buster Crabbe played both roles, Flash Gordon is much better than Buck…"
3 hours ago
"I really wanna read Li'l Cap'n Comic and Stories."
3 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"I had a very similar experience! The Li'l Capn wanted info about Marvel, DC, Charlton,…"
4 hours ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"And thus, the world was made safe from comics adaptations of My Friend Flicka."
6 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
""When the CCA was established, one of the results was apparently to avoid the use of the word…"
6 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: June 20-26, 2022
"For an 80s example see Silver Star, and for a 90s example see Bombast."
7 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service