Holy cow, that was the best thing the CW has ever given me for my birthday.

This is everything I'd want a Flash show to be. There are some changes to the mythos -- the particle accelerator being the source of most or all of the super powers in the area -- but I'm okay with that. It gives the show some unity, and asks us to believe one unbelievable thing instead of asking us to believe a new unbelievable thing every week. I think it's a smart approach. 

Grant Gustin is perfect as Barry -- younger than when I'd first encountered the character, but with so much heart and good humor. I'm stunned at how well he inhabits the part.
I'm most concerned about Thawne's inclusion -- I hope they don't rush through that, putting the prime suspect for his mother's murder right up front. And, frankly, I think growing up with Iris is makes that relationship a little odd, too... and ultimately she might not be the one he ends up with because of that dynamic. (I don't think they plan for that not to happen, but it might be that the show finds itself unable to surmount the squick factor and decides to go another way.)

But I love the cast, the supporting characters (especially at the lab) are great, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! For me, this is head and shoulders above Gotham -- even after this week's ridiculous Balloon Man episode, where I'm finally starting to enjoy it for the cheese it brings to the table.

Views: 3931

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did anyone else notice at the end when Eddie tells Iris his big "secret", that he is working with the Flash, Iris doesn't look happy or relieved. She looks angry and bitter again!

Maybe you should have waited until you got home, Eddie!

btw, congrats to whoever did the trailer for these episodes. I really thought that Eddie was going to go crazy evil but it was just Everyman. I'll admit they got me!

I don't see why that was such a big deal. "Flash has suddenly showed up to help me a few times, I don't know why." (True.) "I didn't tell you because I don't want to be a 'source' for you, especially since you're so focused on everything about him," (True) "It might compromise cases I'm working on if I'm known as a guy Flash hangs around sometimes." (True). 

If she asks if he knows who he is, he can say, "Why would he tell me who he is?" Which is a really good question, as being Joe's partner provides a little leeway, but not so much it's worth having a guy in on it who benefits from telling Iris.

I think Iris was upset for exactly the reason Eddie expected--she need blog material, and he's got some morsels she could pump him for. That's on her, frankly. He should have said "Flash has helped me out a few times, like he did you," rather than "I'm working with the Flash," as if they were partners.

-- MSA

I agree with you, MSA. It was the change in her demeanor that was shocking....and sudden!

Holy Mood Swings!

We must also take into account that Iris wants to be Central City's liaison to the Flash with her exclusive access to him.

Also there's her flirty interactions with him that would be awkward with Eddie around.

Mr. Silver Age said:

I don't see why that was such a big deal. "Flash has suddenly showed up to help me a few times, I don't know why." (True.) "I didn't tell you because I don't want to be a 'source' for you, especially since you're so focused on everything about him," (True) "It might compromise cases I'm working on if I'm known as a guy Flash hangs around sometimes."  (True). 

If she asks if he knows who he is, he can say, "Why would he tell me who he is?" Which is a really good question, as being Joe's partner provides a little leeway, but not so much it's worth having a guy in on it who benefits from telling Iris.

I think Iris was upset for exactly the reason Eddie expected--she need blog material, and he's got some morsels she could pump him for. That's on her, frankly. He should have said "Flash has helped me out a few times, like he did you," rather than "I'm working with the Flash," as if they were partners.

Except that they've established that Eddie is either lousy at lying (which would hamper his detective work) or just lousy at lying to Iris. If he had told her that he and her father were both coordinating with the Flash he MIGHT have been able to pull it off. Of course the next question would be "do you know who he is?" This puts Eddie back into his un-comfort zone and his face gives him away

Hey, what was Dr. Leslie Tompkins doing on Flash? (The voice of Gideon.)

See, I told you it wouldn't be too much longer before Iris found out Barry's secret.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Hey, what was Dr. Leslie Tompkins doing on Flash? (The voice of Gideon.)

No wonder I found the disembodied AI so attractive.

Yes but wait until Iris finds out HOW MANY knew Barry's secret before her!

Oh, the fur is gonna fly. Even if it WEREN'T a Grodd episode.

Wonder who'll Iris will be mad at more: Barry, Joe or Eddie?

Possibly she might even get annoyed at Caitlyn, the attractive scientist who knows Barry's secret and is his real confidant.

She *should* be mad most at Joe, since he was the one who implored the others not to tell Iris, even when they wanted to. Then she should be mad at Barry, since it's really his secret to tell if he wanted her to know. Then she should be mad at Eddie, who was let in on it late on the agreement that he'd keep it to himself.

But knowing her, I'm guessing the order will be reversed.

Frankly, I think Barry and Caitlyn make a good pair, except for that fiancee-who-can-turn-into-a-nuclear-reactor thing. But at least she doesn't live with him like Iris does with her boyfriend. Maybe they need to introduce Daphne Dean.

-- MSA

Well, at the moment, she doesn’t know that anyone else knows. The only one she knows for sure has been lying to her is Barry. So he should be first. But all the others will fall in line soon enough, I’m sure...including Felicity, Oliver, Ray, etc. Pretty much the only people on the show that haven’t lied to her were Mason and Linda. And Mason’s dead.

Mr. Silver Age said:

Maybe they need to introduce Daphne Dean.

-- MSA

That's what I said to my wife when they introduced Linda Park. "No! No! Wrong Flash! She should be Daphne Dean! Or at least Fiona Webb!"

'Course, it could have been worse. She might have been Joan Williams.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service