Holy cow, that was the best thing the CW has ever given me for my birthday.

This is everything I'd want a Flash show to be. There are some changes to the mythos -- the particle accelerator being the source of most or all of the super powers in the area -- but I'm okay with that. It gives the show some unity, and asks us to believe one unbelievable thing instead of asking us to believe a new unbelievable thing every week. I think it's a smart approach. 

Grant Gustin is perfect as Barry -- younger than when I'd first encountered the character, but with so much heart and good humor. I'm stunned at how well he inhabits the part.
I'm most concerned about Thawne's inclusion -- I hope they don't rush through that, putting the prime suspect for his mother's murder right up front. And, frankly, I think growing up with Iris is makes that relationship a little odd, too... and ultimately she might not be the one he ends up with because of that dynamic. (I don't think they plan for that not to happen, but it might be that the show finds itself unable to surmount the squick factor and decides to go another way.)

But I love the cast, the supporting characters (especially at the lab) are great, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! For me, this is head and shoulders above Gotham -- even after this week's ridiculous Balloon Man episode, where I'm finally starting to enjoy it for the cheese it brings to the table.

Views: 3936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is pretty awesome. As MSA said, very Silver Age-y, as it embraces goofy pseudo-science.

One thing that I remember may shed some light. Eobard told someone (Eddie, maybe) that The Flash happened naturally, but he couldn't wait, so he created the particle acclerator to, uh, accelerate the process. IOW, he made Barry become The Flash several years before he would have done so anyway. So no Eobard doesn't = no Flash; no Eobard just means Barry becomes The Flash when he's a little older.

Leaping from that, it's possible that Season 2 opens with Barry Allen, police scientist, who grew up with his biological mom and dad (no Eobard = mom isn't killed) and is dating Iris West. Dr. Welles and his team are working at STAR Labs, but they have never built a particle accelerator (nor has it occurred to them to do so). It's several years since ... oh, let's say since Leonard Snart stole several weapons from STAR Labs. He and his partner, Mick Rory, are unstoppable, and there are no super-powered people whatsoever. Then, one night as Barry is working late in his lab, a thunderstorm springs up ...

OK, that's a wild-hare guess. But really, they can do whatever they want. It would be surreal if every season started over with a new timeline, but it would get old fast -- it would be like an endless series of origin stories. (And we pretty much have that with Spider-Man and Batman already.) But they could have everyone get the powers they have already, just via the various methods established in the comics, only now with the foreknowledge that the Universe of Fate or whatever had pre-disposed these people to fit a specific niche in the timestream. So they get their powers whether there's an Eobard Thawne or not.

And there COULD still be an Eobard Thawne. Yes, we some him come apart and go into the black hole. But Flashes have molecular control, remember? And Dead Eddie went in there, too ... or was it not-quite-dead Eddie? We might have an Eobard who looks like Eddie as the new Reverse Flash, who is constantly trying to restore the old timeline. Which MIGHT give older Flash a reason to tell younger Flash not to interfere in the Thawne-kills-mom scenario. MAYBE.

Incidentally, they really laid the groundwork for Vibe. Thawne told Cisco that he was able to sense the vibrational movement of the dimensions or somesuch, which confirmed for him that Cisco got powers from the accelerator, too ... he just hadn't realized it. Vibration-related powers. Gee, what could that mean? (Although those powers are so similar to Flash's that he would be kinda redundant.)

And what about Caitlin? How does sweet Caitlin become murderous Killer Frost? And if we have a new timeline, how does Firestorm come into existence? We know he does, because of Legends of the Future.

Also, what happens with the black hole? Well, I think it's obvious that Flash goes into it, but is not killed; it's like the wormhole earlier in the show and he ends up somewhere useful for creating a new timeline. Or maybe just a slightly different timeline, which is probably what they'll do, but won't be as much fun as starting over.

But wouldn't it be cool if when Barry is sucked into the black hole, he comes out as a bolt of lightning that strikes a police scientist working late in his lab ... ?

Oh, good Grodd, you're proposing CoIE on TV?

(Although that is what Gideon's future newspaper headline suggested would happen. Just not this soon.)

Flash is Mopee?

Animal Man also went back and tried to warn his past self, but he couldn't hear himself.

Bob Buethe said:

So if Eobard was never born, does that mean that none of the past season happened? There's a loophole, though, but it's one that I don't think they'll go with:

Eobard said that he and Eddie shared a family tree, but he never said that Eddie was his direct ancestor. Everyone assumed that, but Eddie might just be a great-great-great-great-granduncle, or something. If that's the case, then Eddie's death might change the timeline, but wouldn't necessarily prevent Eobard's existence. Time will tell.

They never actually said he was his direct ancestor. I took note, however, that when Reverse Flash was killing police left and right he went right up to Eddie and just looked at him. That and Eddie's last name convinced me he was either the same person or his direct ancestor.

Captain Comics said:

And there COULD still be an Eobard Thawne. Yes, we some him come apart and go into the black hole. But Flashes have molecular control, remember? And Dead Eddie went in there, too ... or was it not-quite-dead Eddie? We might have an Eobard who looks like Eddie as the new Reverse Flash, who is constantly trying to restore the old timeline. Which MIGHT give older Flash a reason to tell younger Flash not to interfere in the Thawne-kills-mom scenario. MAYBE.

I think "Universe of Fate or whatever" will fix the Thawnes so that the entire reality isn't jeopardized. Starting the whole story over with new origins for everyone would turn off most of the audience. When the TV show Heroes got into alternate realities it didn't lose me but it lost most of the mainstream audience.

Incidentally, they really laid the groundwork for Vibe. Thawne told Cisco that he was able to sense the vibrational movement of the dimensions or somesuch, which confirmed for him that Cisco got powers from the accelerator, too ... he just hadn't realized it.

Yeah, it was neat that they had an in-story answer for why Cisco remembered something that hadn't happened. It suggests to me that his vibration powers let him shift between different Earths. Maybe the time-travel we've seen also involves alternates Earths? They hinted at it with Jay Garrick's helmet. (We might see Jay Garrick!)

Someone on Facebook said it would be cool if they had John Wesley Shipp play the helmeted Flash from the alternate timeline. I agreed, but suggested Tim Thomerson as another possibility. He's 69 now, but he played Barry's older brother Jay in the 1990 Flash pilot episode.

I started watching the 1990s series over the weekend. So far I watched the pilot movie and the first regular episode. With the Danny Elfman soundtrack, the fake-looking sets and bad acting, it has a very Tim Buton Batmanesque feel.

Regarding the Facebook comment, remember that the series we've been watching is the alternate timeline; the helmet presumably came from the "true" timeline. That's the part of the finale that has me most intrigued. Any other show I'd predict they'd drag it out for a while, but so far this show has been all about the payoffs.

They sure speed things along, which is only appropriate for a story starring a speedster. But, like with Arrow, they have no problem altering the status quo. Twenty years ago, Flash would be fighting the particle accelerator-created-supervillain of the week and nothing else would change.

I liked the original show but it seemed to be embarrassed that it was about comic books. They managed to make Captain Cold and the Mirror Master boring, which is a good trick, and presented the Trickster as if the Joker (or rather the Frank Gorshin Riddler) had changed clothes.

I have the DVD set also and will re-watch it at some point. I'm afraid it will suffer even more in comparison with what we have today.

The first new episode will air on Tuesday, October 6, 2015.

That's simply not soon enough. This season sounds like a SA fan's dream, and I want it NOW.

They seem to know what they're doing, so I'm encouraged. Given their time-travel razzle dazzle made me roll on the ground laughing rather than roll my eyes in disgust, I think they'll pull it off.

-- MSA

Netflix recently made the first season available for streaming. I don't have the time or inclination to watch all 23 episodes - would anyone like to recommend 5 or 6 episodes that are "must see" ?  Up to this point I have only seen the premiere episode and the Trickster's return.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service