Holy cow, that was the best thing the CW has ever given me for my birthday.

This is everything I'd want a Flash show to be. There are some changes to the mythos -- the particle accelerator being the source of most or all of the super powers in the area -- but I'm okay with that. It gives the show some unity, and asks us to believe one unbelievable thing instead of asking us to believe a new unbelievable thing every week. I think it's a smart approach. 

Grant Gustin is perfect as Barry -- younger than when I'd first encountered the character, but with so much heart and good humor. I'm stunned at how well he inhabits the part.
I'm most concerned about Thawne's inclusion -- I hope they don't rush through that, putting the prime suspect for his mother's murder right up front. And, frankly, I think growing up with Iris is makes that relationship a little odd, too... and ultimately she might not be the one he ends up with because of that dynamic. (I don't think they plan for that not to happen, but it might be that the show finds itself unable to surmount the squick factor and decides to go another way.)

But I love the cast, the supporting characters (especially at the lab) are great, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! For me, this is head and shoulders above Gotham -- even after this week's ridiculous Balloon Man episode, where I'm finally starting to enjoy it for the cheese it brings to the table.

Views: 4347

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the fact that it's handling all this stuff so early in the show. The quicker the mythology gets built, the more fun everyone has playing in it. 

Was Nora's murder ever solved in the comics? It wasn't even introduced until Geoff Johns' Flash Rebirth, which was, what, 2009?

But yeah, I like how both Flash and Arrow are avoiding an ongoing status quo. That's great -- it prevents routine. I worry that iZombie will fall into that trap.

I feel tossing in too much too soon usually hurts a series (like Heroes Reborn), but the alternative is a show could easily get cancelled before you get to things you want to see in it, like the Spider-Man animated series that ended before they could show Mary Jane wasn't really dead.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I like the fact that it's handling all this stuff so early in the show. The quicker the mythology gets built, the more fun everyone has playing in it. 

I heard that the iZombie crew couldn't wait to jump into mythology stuff, so I don't think it'll be a straight procedural. I think it'll do well. 

IIRC (weird that I can recall stories I read 30 years ago, but not so much stories I read 5 years ago), Prof. Zoom also murdered Nora in the comics. It was handled in Flash Rebirth.

Says something, doesn't it?

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

(weird that I can recall stories I read 30 years ago, but not so much stories I read 5 years ago)

The Flash will be a rerun on April 7.

A new episode is scheduled for April 14.

The trailer for the rest of the season.

"It had to be bees."

If it was Marvel we'd be expecting Swarm to show up soon.

Oh, BTW, I retract my change of "shenanigans" from a few weeks ago. Those were just red herrings I didn't catch. I can only fault me for that.

But since it's DC, we're instead getting the Bug-Eyed Bandit, who's apparently being reimagined as a woman for the show, and is going to be played by "Beth" from The Walking Dead.

All in all, it looks like we're in for a pretty busy end to the season with Ray Palmer, Felicity, Oliver and Captain Lance all coming over from Arrow.  Plus the returns of the Weather Wizard, the Mist, Rainbow Raider, General Eiling, Grodd, Firestorm and Zoom, with an apparent heel turn from Eddie thrown in for good measure.

Ron M. said:

If it was Marvel we'd be expecting Swarm to show up soon.

KSwolf said:

,..... with an apparent heel turn from Eddie thrown in for good measure.

I wonder if that's really Eddie or another morph from Eobard.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service