Holy cow, that was the best thing the CW has ever given me for my birthday.

This is everything I'd want a Flash show to be. There are some changes to the mythos -- the particle accelerator being the source of most or all of the super powers in the area -- but I'm okay with that. It gives the show some unity, and asks us to believe one unbelievable thing instead of asking us to believe a new unbelievable thing every week. I think it's a smart approach. 

Grant Gustin is perfect as Barry -- younger than when I'd first encountered the character, but with so much heart and good humor. I'm stunned at how well he inhabits the part.
I'm most concerned about Thawne's inclusion -- I hope they don't rush through that, putting the prime suspect for his mother's murder right up front. And, frankly, I think growing up with Iris is makes that relationship a little odd, too... and ultimately she might not be the one he ends up with because of that dynamic. (I don't think they plan for that not to happen, but it might be that the show finds itself unable to surmount the squick factor and decides to go another way.)

But I love the cast, the supporting characters (especially at the lab) are great, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! For me, this is head and shoulders above Gotham -- even after this week's ridiculous Balloon Man episode, where I'm finally starting to enjoy it for the cheese it brings to the table.

Views: 4308

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ooh, I love the Rip Hunter and Grodd theories!

I am finally caught up on this series, and I really like it a lot.  I don't to caught up in the Easter eggs, but I do perk up a bit when I catch one. I really enjoy the cast, they have been great.

Sorry if it has been mentioned before, but has anyone else noticed the little "52" signs in STAR Labs? Usually where they are keeping their prisoners.

I'm also interested in what my friends who don't read comics think about comic shows and movies like this. The one I know who is watching it said he likes it a lot better than he thought he would. This in turn has gotten him to go back and get caught up on Arrow, and even start reading up on the histories of these guys. That counts as a "win" I suppose.

Flash vs. Arrow

Well, that was fun.

Tonight I watched Flash and Arrow back-to-back. They were very well done. Looking forward to seeing Flash vs Reverse-Flash next week!

I can't get behind putting bombs in people's brains, so I think Captain Boomerang had a legitimate gripe with Diggle's lady, even though all his other actions are reprehensible. Just saw the same crap in the animated movie Batman: Assault on Arkham. If this is what the series Suicide Squad is about I can't understand anybody wanting to read it.

It kind of bothered me that Diggle could overlook her actions and want to marry her. Seems out of character.

It's apparently a common fanfiction storyline. Teenagers seem to like the idea for some reason. 

I watched Flash and Arrow back-to-back last night. I've been watching and enjoying Flash right along, but I feel "tricked" into watching Arrow. I was under the impression that the "crossover" was going to be a two-parter, but it wasn't. It was simply two stand-alone guest star episodes.

On another note, the title of the Flash: Season Zero comic book bugs me. Shouldn't it be "Season One"? The stories occur interstitially between episodes (true "retroactive continuity"), don't they? I think a comic book titled "Season Zero" should feature Barry Allan before he became the Flash.

I was wondering that about Season Zero. I hadn't gotten around to buying any of it yet -- wasn't sure if I wanted in in print or digital. But I think I'm gonna jump in, with digital.

Watched the mid-season finale last night. If I didn't know better, I'd swear Welles is the Reverse Flash. Excellent example of misdirection!

With all the talk about time travel, everyone seems to have forgotten that Iris West IS a time traveler! At least in the comics.

Jeff of Earth-J said:
Watched the mid-season finale last night. If I didn't know better, I'd swear Welles is the Reverse Flash. Excellent example of misdirection!

A couple of things were significant.

As easily and heartlessly as he killed the guards and police, he seemed to make a show out of beating Wells when he could have easily killed him. At the end we saw Wells is definitely tied up with him.

Eddie Thawne even remarked that he didn't know why Reverse Flash didn't kill him. I think he IS him in the future. Iris is looking at Barry differently now that he's admitted his feelings. Thawne's future jealousy and whatever else happens to him may push him over the edge. I also note that following the threat against Iris no attempt was made to carry it out.

January 20th is a LONG wait. According to IMDB it will have Captain Cold and Heat Wave.

"I think [Eddie Thawne] IS [the Reverse Flash] in the future."

I concur.

Still not sure what's up with Welles, though. He's ruthless and dishonest, but I think he's a "good guy" (whatever that is). I had forgotten there was a flash of red mixed with the flash of yellow on the night Barry's Mother was killed.Apparently she will stand in for Fiona Webb in the fight between future-Barry and future-Eddie.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I think Welles is a phony name. He seems to be a time traveler, so choosing the name "H. Welles" is pretty much daring someone to figure that out.

Oh my. I didn't catch that. Oh. Oh, oh, oh.

OK.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service