Holy cow, that was the best thing the CW has ever given me for my birthday.

This is everything I'd want a Flash show to be. There are some changes to the mythos -- the particle accelerator being the source of most or all of the super powers in the area -- but I'm okay with that. It gives the show some unity, and asks us to believe one unbelievable thing instead of asking us to believe a new unbelievable thing every week. I think it's a smart approach. 

Grant Gustin is perfect as Barry -- younger than when I'd first encountered the character, but with so much heart and good humor. I'm stunned at how well he inhabits the part.
I'm most concerned about Thawne's inclusion -- I hope they don't rush through that, putting the prime suspect for his mother's murder right up front. And, frankly, I think growing up with Iris is makes that relationship a little odd, too... and ultimately she might not be the one he ends up with because of that dynamic. (I don't think they plan for that not to happen, but it might be that the show finds itself unable to surmount the squick factor and decides to go another way.)

But I love the cast, the supporting characters (especially at the lab) are great, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! For me, this is head and shoulders above Gotham -- even after this week's ridiculous Balloon Man episode, where I'm finally starting to enjoy it for the cheese it brings to the table.

Views: 4053

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

KSwolf said:

On another matter, has anyone heard an explanation from the producers as to how they chose Barry's sidekicks?  Francisco "Vibe" Ramon and Caitlin "Killer Frost III" Snow seem like a couple of bizarrely random choices.

I'm not the Wally West expert many on this board are, but doesn't the trio in the show kinda reflect the scientists who helped him when he got his own solo series as Flash? Jerry & Tina McGee, and ... well, maybe that's all there were.

There's a little bit of that... but I think it's just a desire to tie Barry to the larger DCU from the start, and those are characters with potential to grow and make a name for themselves. Even Vibe -- maybe especially Vibe. No one really loves Vibe in the comics... but I bet a lot of fans to the TV show will love Cisco; he's really putting his best foot forward, here. And that could lead to good things, both for the show and (maybe, eventually) for the comics.

With characters like Vibe or Killer Frost, I don't think there's going to a loud contingent of people complaining that they're being portrayed wrong. But also, they're both characters that really couldn't star in their own series -- unlike, say, if John Henry Irons was in the regular supporting cast. This is basically DC's attempt at turning lesser lights (or outright failures) into favorites. And in Vibe's case, at least. I think it's going to work.

I don't know why they chose those characters in particular, though, as opposed to other ones of similar wattage. But the upcoming appearance of Firestorm might have been reason enough to retrofit Caitlin in from the beginning, as opposed to Kitty Faulkner or someone.

Incidentally, Tina McGee is said to be appearing in an upcoming episode (or more). Amanda Pays, who played her in the Shipp series, will be reprising her role -- although in this case she'll be a few decades older than Barry, and presumably not a love interest for him. I don't think Tina works for STAR in this telling -- I think she's with a different scientific outfit.

Weird that the Flash battles a Firestorm villain in his second episode but at least they made Multiplex a credible threat. Remember in the comics, his duplicates got smaller and smaller the more he made.

Nice to see Iris trying to become a reporter but Barry can't outrun the "Friend/Sorta-Adopted-Brother" Zone!

Why name a character "Simon Stagg" just to kill him? So much for that "Metamorpho" spin-off!

Yeah, I wondered at the waste of that, too. But a Metamorpho spin-off is really unlikely, and making the character a familiar one made the final scene a lot more unexpected, because by naming him Stagg, it seemed to set him up to be a recurring character. It still would have been a shocking moment otherwise -- it has to be, for the non-comics readers -- but the name amped it up for viewers like us.

They could do Metamorpho but not looking like the comic book version. They would use cutaways and CGI effects for his elemental stunts. Oh well. Maybe in that reality, Rex and Sapphire are happy together without her father constantly raining on their parade!

They could, certainly, with today's CGI effects. But I doubt there'd be much of an audience, even among comic readers.

Maybe an Outsiders show or movie?

I think that would have more traction... but also, Simon Stagg would be far less important to a show like that.

If you really wanted to do a classic Haney/Fradon style Metamorpho setup, I think animation is the only way to go. Things are allowed to be sillier in that medium, and silly is the only way to handle that.

In fact, I wonder if some of the decisions for incidental characters are ever done with an eye toward sending a little money the creators' way. Bob Haney's passed on, but Ramona Fradon's still around, and seems to have a good relationship with DC.

The sad part of TV now is that the end credits are too small and move too fast.

Have any of the Flash's four creators gotten screen credit?

As for animation, I'm surprised that the Metal Men never got their own show. They seemed meant for cartoons!

Even the oldies stations like ME-TV and THIS-TV squeeze the end credits into a little box so they can advertise coming attractions. I'd hoped they would leave the credits alone but no such luck.

Besides various Superman, Batman, and Justice League shows, DC hasn't made very many animated series, and I don't think Metal Men would have fit well in Batman The Animated Adventures or Challenge of the Superfriends.

I'm wondering if the Creepy episode was meant as a pilot for a show that never happened. A lot of Batman fans have insisted his offhand knocking Batman silly when they first met was impossible, because they have trouble accepting the idea somebody knocked The Batman down withot even trying.  

Philip Portelli said:

Why name a character "Simon Stagg" just to kill him? So much for that "Metamorpho" spin-off!

I didn't think we were looking at a Metamorpho show or appearance when they killed "Mr Java," who they strained the dialog to call by name. If he isn't a caveman it wouldn't work anyway. I don't think we should be misled by the tendency to toss well-known names into the stories. Sometimes they're screwing with us.

The Gotham show, according to IMDB, was calling a throw-away character Victor Zsasz in the third episode. I now see that the listing is gone. Zsasz would make a challenging bad guy after they get Arkham up and running.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service