Holy cow, that was the best thing the CW has ever given me for my birthday.

This is everything I'd want a Flash show to be. There are some changes to the mythos -- the particle accelerator being the source of most or all of the super powers in the area -- but I'm okay with that. It gives the show some unity, and asks us to believe one unbelievable thing instead of asking us to believe a new unbelievable thing every week. I think it's a smart approach. 

Grant Gustin is perfect as Barry -- younger than when I'd first encountered the character, but with so much heart and good humor. I'm stunned at how well he inhabits the part.
I'm most concerned about Thawne's inclusion -- I hope they don't rush through that, putting the prime suspect for his mother's murder right up front. And, frankly, I think growing up with Iris is makes that relationship a little odd, too... and ultimately she might not be the one he ends up with because of that dynamic. (I don't think they plan for that not to happen, but it might be that the show finds itself unable to surmount the squick factor and decides to go another way.)

But I love the cast, the supporting characters (especially at the lab) are great, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! For me, this is head and shoulders above Gotham -- even after this week's ridiculous Balloon Man episode, where I'm finally starting to enjoy it for the cheese it brings to the table.

Views: 4053

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ron M. said:

Even the oldies stations like ME-TV and THIS-TV squeeze the end credits into a little box so they can advertise coming attractions. I'd hoped they would leave the credits alone but no such luck.

Netflix does this when they are streaming, too, for no apparent reason. If I want to look at credits I have to look the episode up on IMDB.

Cozi hasn't done this yet, knock wood.

I was shocked when Welles killed Stagg too, but I guess I shouldn't have been when Java was killed earlier. 

Does anyone think they are setting up Dr. Welles to be the big bad of the season?

It seems that way but we don't know his true motivations so there are questions:

• is he from the future as in the 25th century (Zoom-Time)?
  • does he know about the future?
  • why is he pretending to be a cripple? Sympathy? So he's not viewed as a threat?
  • does he want to exploit the Flash?
  • does he want to safeguard him?
  • Is he insane?
  • Is he Zoom?

Did Reverse Flash ever get a different name besides Professor Zoom? They're not likely to call him Zoom on tv.

Although there was a character by that name on tv. But somehow I doubt Captain Zoom will be making a comeback any time soon.

I've always thought Professor Zoom was a less silly name than Reverse Flash, but maybe that's just me. They're both pretty silly.

As for Wells, I think they are setting him up to be the big bad. Which is a nice switch from Arrow, in having a big bad that can actually underplay a moment, and not take a big honkin' bite out of every piece of scenery he encounters. 

Does anyone see any comics precedent in Wells? He seems to have the motivations of Hunter Zolomon (make Flash better at his job), but a different background...and he's faking a spinal injury rather than having a genuine leg injury. Does the name come from anywhere? I suppose any H. Wells associated with time travel at least owes a debt to H.G. Wells.

That's the problem with a lot of the Flash's enemies. They have silly names: Captain Boomerang, the Top, Abra Kadabra, Rainbow Raider and the Pied Piper. It would be hard to create real-life versions who would use those names!

Of course, most of the Rogues didn't have natural powers so we'll have to see how much they change them like they did with Weather Wizard.

And when they used a version of the Weather Wizard they only called him by his "civilian" name. He was shot but they never, IIRC, said he was killed. Now they're doing a version of The Mist and using that name.

Philip Portelli said:

That's the problem with a lot of the Flash's enemies. They have silly names: Captain Boomerang, the Top, Abra Kadabra, Rainbow Raider and the Pied Piper. It would be hard to create real-life versions who would use those names!

Of course, most of the Rogues didn't have natural powers so we'll have to see how much they change them like they did with Weather Wizard.

The Mist, huh? That's a shame as I always thought that James Robinson's Starman had TV show written all over it. But since DC ignores one of its greatest series as having no value (as in MOVIE MONEY) let's pick through those characters as well!

Episode 4 will have Captain Cold.

This is what they have done on Arrow, and I think Smallville before it. If it's a DC character who isn't tied into another contract it's fair game.

Philip Portelli said:

The Mist, huh? That's a shame as I always thought that James Robinson's Starman had TV show written all over it. But since DC ignores one of its greatest series as having no value (as in MOVIE MONEY) let's pick through those characters as well!

I don't think there's a conflict with the Mist. If they wanted to do Starman right, they have to emphasize legacy. And from what we can tell, there's really no room in the CW superhero universe for that sort of heroic legacy. So storywise, at least, a Starman series would be free to use its own Mist character. (Contract-wise, of course, it could be another story.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service