The Green Hornet on Syfy

As a promotion for the movie, on Tuesday, Syfy is showing all 26 episodes of the 1966 TV series with Van Williams and Bruce Lee from 10 AM to 11 PM. I never seen any of them, just the Batman  guest appearances. I wonder if they're included? I'm going to tape some of it. Anyone else?

BTW, did you know that the original Green Hornet was the grand-nephew of the Lone Ranger and the inspiration for DC's Crimson Avenger and the Sandman?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Darn, I don't have SyFy.

I did know about the Lone Ranger connection but not Crimson Avenger or the Sandman (Dodds, I presume).

• Thanks for the heads up!
  • Thanks for posting; I thought The Green Hornet couldn't be found on the air anywhere (although the American Life channel did carry it for a while last year).

Also, I too did know about the Lone Ranger connection but not Crimson Avenger or the Sandman. We discuss that a bit over here on the new old board ("Rich Folks in Comic Books"), where it is pointed out that The Green Hornet is a retooling of The Lone Ranger for modern times.

• The Crimson Avenger was a masked hero with an Asian assistant, Wing, and used a gas gun. He was also thought to be a criminal. He later become a more Batman-like character with a costume, fitting since he too appeared in Detective and was one of the Seven Soldiers of Victory.

The Sandman weilded a gas gun and was hunted by the law, though he was a Justice Society charter member. And he was also reconceived by Simon and Kirby as a Batman-like hero, complete with sidekick, Sandy the Golden Boy. 

Cavalier said:

Darn, I don't have SyFy.

I did know about the Lone Ranger connection but not Crimson Avenger or the Sandman (Dodds, I presume).

• Philip Portelli said:

The Sandman . . . was also reconceived by Simon and Kirby as a Batman-like hero, complete with sidekick, Sandy the Golden Boy. 

Not quite. The Sandman's change from slouch hat and opera cape to the more standard super-hero skin-tights was not brought about by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby.

It was Mort Weisinger (writer) and Paul Norris (penciller) and Chad Grothkopf (inker) who instituted the change, in the story "The Case of the Giant Bees", from Adventure Comics # 69 (Dec., 1941). It was this tale that also introduced Sandy, the Golden Boy.

The Weisinger/Norris/Grothkopf team remained on the series for the next two issues. It wasn't until Adventure Comics # 72 (Mar., 1942) that Simon and Kirby took over the series and ran with it.

Hope this helps.
  • The minute I read your reply, Commander, I smacked myself in the head because I knew that! I just didn't remember it at the time! Simon & Kirby's names popped in my head and I ran with it....into a wall! ;-)

The "new" Sandman still had a cape but it came and went, sometimes in the same story until S&K's streamlined version.

• Thanks for the heads up, Phillip. My Tivo is set to begin recording about an hour from now. Like you, I've never any of these (not including the crossover with Batman).
  • Well, I didn't know that. Thanks, Commander. I always thought Simon and Kirby instituted the change, rather than inherited it.
  • I missed the "on Tuesday" part of the original post and thought that I'd, well, missed the event. My parents have Syfy so I'll record some at their house. Neat.
  • It's been a while since I've seen any, but I believe it was the old cable channel Trio that used to air them every Saturday morning at 6AM, so I recorded and watched them all back then. (2003ish maybe)
This reply was deleted.