Is there something about the fourth issue of a team book that means you have to (re) introduce a new character? Let's consider ...

• Justice League of America #4 and Green Arrow
  • Fantastic Four #4 and Sub-Mariner
  • Avengers #4 and Captain America
  • Teen Titans #4 and Speedy
  • X-Men #4 and Quicksilver & the Scarlet Witch (I know it's a cheat, but I couldn't resist it!)
  • Defenders #4 and Valkyrie

Views: 614

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great catch, Andrew!

Can I sneak in a quick question here - it may be a really ignorant question of me to ask - but I'm new here and keep seeing references to this all over the forums...but...

...what is the GCD refered to as in "look up the GCD details" I keep seeing...?

...sorry...

GCD is the abbreviation for the Grand Comics Database (http://www.comics.org/). It's a terrific resource: if you've never looked at it you should. This is their mission statement:

"We're a nonprofit, Internet-based organization of international volunteers dedicated to building a database covering all printed comics throughout the world, and we're glad you're here!"

Richard Mantle said:

Can I sneak in a quick question here - it may be a really ignorant question of me to ask - but I'm new here and keep seeing references to this all over the forums...but...

...what is the GCD refered to as in "look up the GCD details" I keep seeing...?

...sorry...

No worries about asking; we're happy to help. The "GCD" would be the Grand Comics Database, found here: www.comics.org. It is a site that attempts to catalogue information about every comic ever published, such as publisher, title, issue number, issue date, writers, editors, artists, cover artists, etc., and so forth. It's an ongoing project, but it's about the best place to find that kind of data if you need it. 

And welcome! We're glad you're here!

Aha, thankyou - I will fly over and play on that site for a bit.

cheers

It's not so much for playing, but refreshing memories, researching and digging out the answer to questions. Great research tool.  Coupled with Mike's Time Platform and Kang's Time Platform, you can find out just about anything you need!

Looking at those original six issues in the original posting, I guess I'd have to challenge that Defender's as being outside the silver age.  I would have been more comfortable with going for Spider-Man #4 or even Sgt. Fury #4 and DD #4 before that one.

By the way.... has anyone noticed the pattern with Silver Age marvel issues #5?

FF #5

Spider-Man #5

That should get you started!

But Kirk, it loses it's way when we add things like Thor #182 and Avengers #25 and X-Men #145 doesn't it.??!! :)

Oh sure.... but it doesn't imply that he can ONLY appear in those #5 issues...just that there appeared to be a pattern of doing that...and that John Byrne capitalized on it in She-Hulk #5 to great effect! LOL!

Richard Mantle said:

But Kirk, it loses it's way when we add things like Thor #182 and Avengers #25 and X-Men #145 doesn't it.??!! :)

The Hulk went from mindless in #3 of his title to having Banner's intelligence but gradually returning to the thug of the first two issues as his personality becomes Hulk like. It's not a team book, but the status quo does get shaken up in #4, even if it's temporary and forgotten by Avengers#1.

The Hulk's status quo got shaken up almost every issue. It seemed like Stan wasn't sure what to do with him and kept trying different approaches until he found one he liked. Which also meant that if readers liked the last version, they would be sorry to see him go. And if they didn't like it, they probably didn't buy the next issue.

All that shifting around is probably why he didn't last. That's a different issue than adding or reviving a new member in #4, which was a definite trend, coincidental or not. For many of the books coming out bimonthly or eight times a year, they probably had sales figures by #4 and may have decided to add something to boost them. But they could want to do that no matter what the sales figures showed for #1.

Needless to say, Showcase #4 had a big revival, too. That's different from so many teams adding someone in #4.

-- MSA

Spider-Man adds Betty Brant in his fourth issue so he follows the trend even though he's a solo character. She didn't last but then Namor never did join the FF.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service