Well, I hope you folks have fun with it.

Views: 381

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, turning off most email notifications made me much happier, too. At this point, I think I just get notified if anyone posts in The Scribes group, and maybe one or two discussions I've started.
I kept the email notifications, but set up a filter in Gmail so that they automatically get tagged bypass my inbox. That way, if I see the number of emails with that tag has increased, I know there's been some new activity on the board, but my inbox doesn't get cluttered...
Alan M. said:
I kept the email notifications, but set up a filter in Gmail so that they automatically get tagged bypass my inbox. That way, if I see the number of emails with that tag has increased, I know there's been some new activity on the board, but my inbox doesn't get cluttered...

I was doing something similar -- shunting them to their own Captain Comics file in my outlook so they didn't mix with my other email -- but it turned into a box I was just deleting again and again. With more targeted notifications, I won't miss when something happens in a topic I really want to keep abreast of.
It occurs to me -- is there any way to change the nature of the email notifications? Currently, I get notified with a link to the comment or message. Would it be possible to include some or all of the test of the comment or message in the notification? That would improve their utility a bit.
Rob Staeger said:
It occurs to me -- is there any way to change the nature of the email notifications? Currently, I get notified with a link to the comment or message. Would it be possible to include some or all of the test of the comment or message in the notification? That would improve their utility a bit.

Click on your settings (near the top right of this page) and click on the e-mail tab near the top left. There's a ton of check boxes. I'm still trying to get the e-mails sent to me whittled down a bit.
Thanks, B-Dog. I'd been looking at that, but all I could see were ways to control which notifications I receive, not the content of those notifications.
I'm starting to come up with a workable solution to my missing the "unread since last visit" function. First, I hit Forum, and select discussion. That lists the discussions in order of most recently replied to. (Was this just revised, Rich? I'm noticing a second dropdown menu. If so, thanks!)

After I get done with those, I click on groups, and arrange *them* by latest activity. This take more memory on my part -- when was the last time I was on, and what had I read then? -- but I'm usually able to click on all new stuff with few missteps.

Apologies if this is blindingly obvious to everyone. I'm just trying to build my own habits in the way that serves me best.
In addition to Rob's posts, just going to All groups allows you to arrange them by lastest activities, can you allow that to be arranged when someone goes to "My Groups"?
Mark Sullivan said:
One thing I've noticed recently: having two boards and some uncertainty about their future seems to have sent a lot of Legionnaires to the sidelines. It seems like there's never more than a handful logged on at either site when I visit these days.

One of the problems with the new site's ability to tell you who's currently online is that it only lets you know what registered members are currently browsing the site. There may be 100 non-registered visitors here, but only two members online.
Rob Staeger said:
I'm starting to come up with a workable solution to my missing the "unread since last visit" function. First, I hit Forum, and select discussion. That lists the discussions in order of most recently replied to. (Was this just revised, Rich? I'm noticing a second dropdown menu. If so, thanks!)

After I get done with those, I click on groups, and arrange *them* by latest activity. This take more memory on my part -- when was the last time I was on, and what had I read then? -- but I'm usually able to click on all new stuff with few missteps.

Apologies if this is blindingly obvious to everyone. I'm just trying to build my own habits in the way that serves me best.

It wasn't blindingly obvious to me, Rob. It still doesn't solve my "I'm really lazy problem", though. Whatcha got for that?
OK, now that I've tried that approach and it seems to confirm my earlier observations ...

Do you Mods have a way of tracking posting activity over here? Activity at the Old Board has slowed to a pathetic trickle since the New Board opened up ... but I don't see anything going on over here that really comes close to the activity over there in the days or weeks immediately prior to opening the New Board. I seem to be able to (literally) go days at a time without visiting over here, but the "Latest Activity" (or whatever you call them) results show hours, if not days, between activity on the General Comics Discussion Section or any of the Groups I check. On the Old Board, that would have resulted in pages of "Unread since last visit" threads.

Am I just not visiting any of the hot spots? Or are even the folks who say they prefer this New Board using it less than the Old Board?

I'm cross-posting this over at the Old Board for the benefit of ... well, me and Jeff of Earth-J, I guess.
Doctor Hmmm? said:
OK, now that I've tried that approach and it seems to confirm my earlier observations ...

Do you Mods have a way of tracking posting activity over here? Activity at the Old Board has slowed to a pathetic trickle since the New Board opened up ... but I don't see anything going on over here that really comes close to the activity over there in the days or weeks immediately prior to opening the New Board. I seem to be able to (literally) go days at a time without visiting over here, but the "Latest Activity" (or whatever you call them) results show hours, if not days, between activity on the General Comics Discussion Section or any of the Groups I check. On the Old Board, that would have resulted in pages of "Unread since last visit" threads.

Am I just not visiting any of the hot spots? Or are even the folks who say they prefer this New Board using it less than the Old Board?

I'm cross-posting this over at the Old Board for the benefit of ... well, me and Jeff of Earth-J, I guess.

I'm still reading both boards, but I'm mostly avoiding cross-posting...just too tedious to keep up. I agree that the extreme drop in activity level on both boards is alarming. It's as if the old board was dead already, but everyone's hanging back from posting on this one, too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service