It's that time of year again!

We've done this before (herehere, and here), but now it's time for this year! This is a place for comments about any and all shows, but especially for shows that don't generate their own threads.

I was reminded it's that time again when I happened to catch a TV special on Friday night. Ken Jeong, of Hangover movies fame, was hosting a show that was full of nothing but promos for ABC's upcoming season. This includes Dr. Ken, a sitcom about a physician starring Ken Jeong himself, who was a physician before he became an actor. 

The new show I'm most looking forward to is Supergirland I have some interest in Quantico. I might give The Muppets and Code Black a try, too.

As for returning shows, I will be happy to have The Big Bang Theory, The Good Wife, Brooklyn Nine-NineAgent Carter and Chicago Fire back. I'm okay with Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I'm lukewarm about Gotham and Chicago PD. And the two backdoor pilots for Chicago Med completely turned me off; I'd never want to go to that hospital. 

Views: 905

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After a downslide in ratings for most of the shows on its roster, ABC cashiers its programming chief: "Paul Lee’s Exit and What Went Wrong at ABC This Season"

Sounds like he was forward-thinking. Also sounds like Agent Carter is in trouble.

Agent Carter IS in trouble. Star Hayley Atwell has lined up another pilot. From Entertainment Weekly"Agent Carter in Jeopardy? Hayley Atwell Cast in New ABC Pilot"

In theory, she could do both, but I doubt she would have tried out for another show if she was confident about Agent Carter's prospects.

That's a shame. Agent Carter is my favorite fictional TV show right now.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Agent Carter IS in trouble. Star Hayley Atwell has lined up another pilot. From Entertainment Weekly"Agent Carter in Jeopardy? Hayley Atwell Cast in New ABC Pilot"

In theory, she could do both, but I doubt she would have tried out for another show if she was confident about Agent Carter's prospects.

It's really good -- probably the highest-quality show set in any superhero universe. The only comic-based show that has writing on its level is iZombie. I'll be sorry to see Agent Carter go, too, but am amazed we get two seasons of it.

I prefer the Netflix Marvel shows to any of the other superhero stuff being done right now. Ironically, they are produced for Netflix by ABC. The production values may be a tick below the network shows but the writing is better in my humble opinion.

Alexandra Kitty said:

But chaos has patterns to be deciphered and Paul Lee was a genius in finding the equivalent of the lost local: the sticky. Get a smaller audience to nurture and push the show.
The problem was there was no plan to foster those shows to gain a larger audience, and it's not Lee's fault: we are in uncharted territory. It worked in the beginning because his strategy was novelty, but the cycle of audience fascination has become much shorter and it worked against him. Audiences want to seem special and splinter, but they support redundant and interchangeable shows, movies, books, etc.
Lee hit upon the right answer; his problem was that he nailed the first question on an exam that has a more questions to answer after it.
Stabilization is coming, but it will take awhile to get there. I may be much smaller in scale with my venture, but I know these quandaries very well.I

Right. Shows on cable, and now on Internet alternatives such as Netflix and Amazon, can thrive on puny audiences, but shows on broadcast networks can't. Paul Lee solved the first part of the puzzle -- launching shows that drew intensely loyal viewers and lots of buzz, even if the audiences are small. But the other half of the puzzle, growing the audience? Everyone is still seeking the answer to that question.

With a new boss at ABC, there's the likelihood of cleaning the slate. Here's a look at five shows that might not make the cut -- and Agent Carter is first on the list: "ABC Cancellation Watch: 5 Series in Danger of Cancellation this Sp...

ABC renews several shows: "ABC Renews 'Grey's,' 'Scandal,' 'Middle,' 'SHIELD,' 'Modern Family... says The Hollywood Reporter

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. makes the cut, but Agent Carter is still on the bubble, as they say.

Hayley Atwell speaks to The Hollywood Reporter about Agent Carter, possibly continuing it along with Conviction if that show is picked up: "Hayley Atwell: 'Agent Carter' Finale Is 'Satisfying,' Will Leave D...

The new season of Vikings has started of with some strong episodes. The show seems to be taking aim directly at Game of Thrones viewers with one character actually saying, "Winter is coming," and even more power brokering and political maneuvering than usual.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service