It's that time of year again!
Continuing the tradition started by Doctor Hmmm? back in 2010, and followed inconsistently since (2011201320142015201620172018 and 2019), here's a catchall thread about any and all shows debuting or returning this fall, with an emphasis on the shows that don't generate their own threads.

Views: 751

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sad news (at least for me), that All Rise was not renewed for another season. All the backstage turmoil probably didn't help its chances.

I don't know how much advance word the cast and crew got, but this series finale, unlike the one for Mom, felt like a series finale. Several characters moved on to new positions, one burned-out public defender went to go find herself (and decided Puerto Rico was the place to look), one couple got engaged, and the lead character, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Lola Carmichael, rekindled the fire in her belly to run for a full term. '

Judge Carmichael was waffling, disillusioned by the kind of politicking and fundraising necessary, defensive about the attacks on her record in the news media, overwhelmed with being a new mother whose FBI agent husband couldn't swing a transfer out of the D.C. headquarters, and not wanting the fight against an unwanted political enemy -- a businessman and candidate for mayor, the kind of rich, arrogant, elite, upper crust bastard Columbo frequently contended with, whose bratty son was on trial for murder in Judge Carmichael's court.

After the son got convicted and Judge Carmichael sentenced him, our businessman held a press conference declaring he would use all his resources to ensure she loses the election. And I've always wondered about judges running for re-election (or in this case, election; she was appointed, and then is running for a term in her own right): How does a judge campaign? It's not like they can say "I give out longer sentences than the next judge," or "No criminal gets off on a technicality in MY courtroom!"

Anyway, Judge Carmichael was feeling glum about all of these things, and it didn't help that her FBI agent husband says he's got an pending undercover assignment that would take him to Ohio for at least three months. But before the end of the episode, he says he not only turned it down, he resigned. The FBI counter-offered with a leave of absence, so he pledged to be a stay-at-home dad while she ran for election.

Buoyed by that support, the loving couple cemented their love with a joyous second wedding, held on a pier in Los Angeles Harbor, attended by most of their friends (except for the one who was finding herself in Puerto Rico and another who joined in via Zoom). It seemed like a party for the cast and crew and viewers as much as it was for the characters. 

I'll miss this show.

This is belated, but The Hollywood Reporter offers its list of what was canceled and what was renewed for the 2021 season:

"Broadcast TV Scorecard 2021: What’s New, Renewed and Canceled"

NBC cancels Good Girls

from TVLine: "Good Girls Cancelled at NBC — And It (Sadly) Won't Be Moving to Netflix"

Accordingly, TVLine updates its broadcast renewals and cancellations list: "2021 Broadcast-TV Renewal Scorecard"

Canceled even before it began: 

From Deadlne: "‘Law & Order: For The Defense’ Not Moving Forward; New ‘L&O’ Spinoff In Works At NBC"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service