...Following in the massive footprints of the " Incomprehensible Idiot  " thread , I present...........

ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Views: 2504

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...Again here at the SF Main Library , about thirtyish minutes ago , Maxon Crumb , Robert's surviving brother , went past me then away into the third-floor stacks .

I've never addressed him in any way , but I have learned to recognize him here ~ pretty distinctive slacks/footwear combination , actually .

Fascinating.  Did he refuse to be part of the documentary the made?  Would he be very repulsed by a quick hello?  He's the brother of a walking legend.  A sicko legend, but a legend all the same.

...I've never seen CRUMB~ have you ? ~ , but I am aware of its general storyline (Including the " Big Reveal/Rosebud " revelation at the end - There , Maggie , I didn't spoil it !) , I believe Maxon " co-operated " to a certain extent .

He leads a rather minimalistic/acetic way of life , I have read he tends to " stay out of view when the doc's had a recent run " , are ascetics - Pope Francis and the Dali Lama aside - generally all that " Hi , pal ! "-y ?

Figserello said:

Fascinating.  Did he refuse to be part of the documentary the made?  Would he be very repulsed by a quick hello?  He's the brother of a walking legend.  A sicko legend, but a legend all the same.

It's a great doco .  Worth seeing.  I know nothing about how he'd feel about it, or how ascetics in general feel about things.  I only know that if someone came up to me and said they thought my brother was a great ilustrator, I'd be quite happy!

I'm not a big Crumb fan, but I thought it was a terrific film. Crumb does some drawing in real time on camera that made me realize what a great draftsman he is. I was equally impressed by his personal weirdness and his artistic gifts.

I am pretty sure Maxon is okay with everything. When I went to Crumb's website a few years back they were selling some of his art there. If I recall Crumb's son was the one running it.

It is one of my favorite documentaries. It made me appreciate his art more since he can draw in different styles. I like a lot of his single panel type work, but a lot of his strips just aren't funny to me. I hate the Mr. Natural stuff, which a lot of people love.

...Um.........So , ya smartly dressed dosser then , puttin' up a link to (mebbe) the brother of those Oasis brothers , noted for their endless , um , lifts of a certain Liverpool group , makes some kind of point then ?????????

I mean...it's a nice link , pleez don't take it down .

I think fairly elderly men , maybe especilly ones whose artist brothers are CONSIDERABLY more materially and personally-acclaimed by " Maya " , might resent being told that you like their brothe actually !!!

Figserello said:

It's a great doco .  Worth seeing.  I know nothing about how he'd feel about it, or how ascetics in general feel about things.  I only know that if someone came up to me and said they thought my brother was a great ilustrator, I'd be quite happy!

...I still think that , music usages-wise , the " WATCHMEN " flick shoulda , for the 80s stuff , included Regina's " Baby Love " and Night Ranger's " Sentimental Street " . And you ??????????

...It seems I can't post in the " JANUARY 15.4 Under Construction " group so:

(1) I don't believe Elsie Segar did any comic-book work ~ or am I wrong ?????????

I have read that a fair amount of Sagendorf's comic-book Popeye work was remakes of Segar comic strip stories - which I believe tended to be fairly common for comic-book versions of newspaper strips inb general , certainly if the Mort Wesinger , etc. , philosophy allowed for a-few-years-later remakes of stories that appeared in the more saveable funnybooks , stories that had appeared in needing , at the best , elaborate scrapbooking newspaper strips would be logcial enough...

(2) I am really interested by our Captain's comment that he'll " never " scour a complete WEIRD WAR TALES collection ! This is a Big Two title which , in its early , newsstand-dominated publication era , I'm sure sold copies superior to 90% of what's in this month's PREVIEWS ~ Probably 90% of this month's DCs , never mind !!!!!!!!! But you feel that finding a complete set is non-doable . Really ??? (Yes , I can see the " reason " why . )

(3( Regarding your Batgirl comment:   WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT FRIGGIN' THOUGHT BALLOONS , ANYWAY ?????????Was it just that THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS made such an INDELIBLE impression with the " The internal monologue in boxes " concept that tbs became instantly " uncool " ???????????

I mean , yes , I suppose , say , Mort-era Supies or vintage romance titles , say , overdid the exposition in tbs - but does mean you can't do more appropriate/concise tbs ???????????

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

(1) I don't believe Elsie Segar did any comic-book work ~ or am I wrong ?????????

I think you're right. I believe the first comic book with new material was New Fun #1 (FEB1935). Segar died in 1938 after an extended illness. He supposedly worked on Thimble Theatre until 1938 with Bud Sagendorf as his assistant, followed by Sagendorf taking over the strip and doing a lot of other Popeye work for King Features. As far as I can tell, Sagendorf was the only one who did comic books.

...Supposedly first-ever " comic book " in the (what eventually became0 standard format sense , the one-shot of FAMOUS FUNNIES , had some new material ?????????

Richard Willis said:

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

I think you're right. I believe the first comic book with new material was New Fun #1 (FEB1935). Segar died in 1938 after an extended illness. He supposedly worked on Thimble Theatre until 1938 with Bud Sagendorf as his assistant, followed by Sagendorf taking over the strip and doing a lot of other Popeye work for King Features. As far as I can tell, Sagendorf was the only one who did comic books.

For the 1933 one-shot, Famous Funnies-Carnival of Comics, the Grand Comics Database only lists the various strips showing characters and creators. There are no notations about the stories being reprints or new. It is likely they were all reprints because at the time the early comics were simply reprinting newspaper strips. The comic magazines (size/shape isn't important) were very popular and lucrative. Not until comics that could could easily be reprinted were exhausted did they go to the additional expense of adding new comics to the magazines. As far as I have ever heard New Fun #1(note the title) was the first one to include new material.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service