Lee Falk's creations , the King Features Syndicate characters The Phantom and Mandrake The Magician , are still published as syndicated strips , but I don't know , for instance , how many people here follow those versions , even .

There have been many publications of the characters over the years - However , frankly , for one , since they have generally stayed away from the DC-Marvel world , many US comics fans would be fairly foggy about those characters , though I think ( especially Mandrake ) they have a certian " You've heard of the names " recognition - if not much to follow that !!!!!!!!!!!

Actually , the comics-shop era has seen an awful lot of Phantom comic books especially from a variety of different publishers - Which , however , arguably have tended to try to make the Phantom more like the perceived mainstream for a US comic book character .

At present , Dynamite?? is publishing the Alex Ross-connected " The Last Phantom " miniseries , which I have only seen (6 bought) one issue of , which GREATLY retcons - and " grim and gritties " (!) - the Phantom concept .

Comics Revue magazine , which I wish I could get more regularly , offers pre-60s reprints of the strips of both characters regularly .

When I first got on the Web , I found out especially how popular the Phantom is in some non-USA markets - where he has MANY stories published , in comic-book form , which are never published in the US - including , at times , ones by name US pros !!!!!

Let's discuss these famous characters...

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I grew up reading The Phantom as a daily and Sunday strip in one of my hometown newspapers, but I haven't seen it in years, and haven't seen any of the recent comic books -- just the series DC did in the '80s and some of the Charlton issues drawn by Jim Aparo in the '70s.
  •  

I'm a huge fan of the Phantom, and think he has been handled exceptionally well for most of his long history.  But I'm something of a purist when it comes to his non-newspaper strip appearances (they don't count!)

Here's a short discussion we had on the Phantom lately.  2011 is the Phantom's 75th Anniversary, and if he isn't the 'first superhero' he's the first to have so many trappings of what the man in the street expects a superhero to have. Skintight costume, secret base, secret identity, exceptional skills, explicit mission to fight crime etc.

• I never really cared for the Phantom.   We only got the Sunday color strips here when I was growing up, and they always seemed to me to be more concerned with his domestic life with his wife and twins than any real adventures.

And the twins, in their white diaper-looking outfits, creeped me out.

• I was aware of the Phantom and Mandrake from a very early age (as anyone who followed the link Figs posted knows). In addition to the King comics, I also had the Phantom suit for my Captain Action Doll. I'm not so interested in the current Phantom or Mandrake (or Dick Tracy or Orphan Annie) as I am the classic material. I am very much enjoying the new series of strip reprints, The Phantom Dailies, currently being published by Hermes Press.
  • When I was growing up our local newspaper only carried the Sunday version of the Phantom, I believe Sy Barry was the artist during that time. Barry had what I view as a Silver Age DC art style - straight forward with fine, realistic rendering of the figures. I was intrigued by the concept that the Phantom identity was handed down generation to generation creating the illusion of "the ghost who walks".
  • I'm aware of both characters, but I never read their adventures growing up, either in the newspaper or in the King comics. So I have no nostalgic connection and very little interest over all in them. Reviving them in any big way might be difficult, given their low profile. A guy in a purple skintight suit in a jungle story and a hypnotist/magician would be a pretty hard sell, I'm afraid.

I'm not sure how the Phantom qualifies as a super-hero, but I don't really know his history. I'm not even sure why he wears that gaudy suit in the jungle and what the mask hides. So I'm a pretty hard sell on getting excited about him.

-- MSA

• The Phantom and Mandrake are important historical figures but I haven't been too impressed with the current revivals. I recently dropped The Last Phantom and I wanted to like it!

Figs says that he gets reprints of the old strips as annuals. I would buy that in a minute!

• ...For some basics on the Phantom , MSA , he is supposed to be the 21st generation of Phantoms , deriving from the first , a cabin boy on a ship marauded by pirates who landed in Bangalla , the African country that is now his HQ .

He swore an oath on his father's grabe to fight all piracy , cruelty , etc.

He is supposed to be , in theory , non-superpowered and just trained to the absolute maximum .

THe strip started in 1936...and , frankly , the reign of the 21st Phantom , and his GF-later-wife Daina Palmer , has been unaturally extended , certainly if there was any kind of " real " logic we'd be on the 23d or 4th by now , jus' a lil' bit o' SOD there .

The costume's color - even shade , within the basic color has changed greatly , especially worldwide . ( The strip didn't add a Sunday for a number of years so Falk didn't have occasion to straightforwardly decide for a while . )

THere are occasional flashback episodes of earlier Phantoms in Falk's strip's ( Especially a " Girl Phantom " from the late 19th Century who filled in for her brother for a while . ) , more in the non-Falk versions , especially the European publications .

THe Phantom is shown as having children with his wife , who live with himein Bangalla...Axctually , in the early years of the strip I believe that what was then known as " Dutch East INdia " ( INdonesia now . ) was more or less the setting , but Falk tended to come of with stories involbing Indian settings as well .

• Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...For some basics on the Phantom , MSA , he is supposed to be the 21st generation of Phantoms , deriving from the first , a cabin boy on a ship marauded by pirates who landed in Bangalla , the African country that is now his HQ .

He swore an oath on his father's grabe to fight all piracy , cruelty , etc.

He is supposed to be , in theory , non-superpowered and just trained to the absolute maximum .

THe strip started in 1936...and , frankly , the reign of the 21st Phantom , and his GF-later-wife Daina Palmer , has been unaturally extended , certainly if there was any kind of " real " logic we'd be on the 23d or 4th by now , jus' a lil' bit o' SOD there .

The costume's color - even shade , within the basic color has changed greatly , especially worldwide . ( The strip didn't add a Sunday for a number of years so Falk didn't have occasion to straightforwardly decide for a while . )

THere are occasional flashback episodes of earlier Phantoms in Falk's strip's ( Especially a " Girl Phantom " from the late 19th Century who filled in for her brother for a while . ) , more in the non-Falk versions , especially the European publications .

THe Phantom is shown as having children with his wife , who live with himein Bangalla...Axctually , in the early years of the strip I believe that what was then known as " Dutch East INdia " ( INdonesia now . ) was more or less the setting , but Falk tended to come of with stories involbing Indian settings as well .

( NOTE: I did a revision/expansion of this one just a few minutes ago , I hope that it's not lost in the ether waves !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )

• Philip Portelli said:

The Phantom and Mandrake are important historical figures but I haven't been too impressed with the current revivals. I recently dropped The Last Phantom and I wanted to like it!

Figs says that he gets reprints of the old strips as annuals. I would buy that in a minute!

...Yeah , in Australia , a company named Frew Publications publishes a Phntom comic book , which is in black and white , and comes out more frequently than bi-weekly !

Something like 30 TIMES A YEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-0

It's come out since the late 40s , and is well into the FOUR FIGURES by now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a no-longer updates Aussie website for the Phantom , it went into the late 00s IIRC...

http://www.deepwoods.org .

I splurged on an airmail subscription to the Aussie mag some years ago .

Now , it primarily:

(1) Reprints the material put to-gether in Denmark - though with Swedish as the final language , not Danish - by Egmont . This fills most standard issues .

(2) Reprints the contemporary daily and Sunday strip's material , in black and white .

(3) Does some " from the vaults " first-time Aussie printings of Egmont material that had not been printed in Australia before , plus miscellany .

(4) In giant-sized issues - and , in SUPER-gigantic yearbook-type issues of multi-hunfdeds of pages , re-reprints Falk daily strips !

( The comic is always B&W , just to underline this , and in the contemporary Egmont material , they digitally take out the colo(u)r . )

While I'm hoping that my extension to my original answer to MSA comes up , let me mention one oddity about - well , two - choices of running villians:

One , the multigenerational aspect appears to extend to a tendency for the Phantom to fight multigenerational conspiracies/groups - The Singh Brotherhood are his #1 villians - and a Catwoman-like sort-of rival for Diana comes from an all-female band of air pirates known as the Sky Band !

This reply was deleted.