Lee Falk's creations , the King Features Syndicate characters The Phantom and Mandrake The Magician , are still published as syndicated strips , but I don't know , for instance , how many people here follow those versions , even .

There have been many publications of the characters over the years - However , frankly , for one , since they have generally stayed away from the DC-Marvel world , many US comics fans would be fairly foggy about those characters , though I think ( especially Mandrake ) they have a certian " You've heard of the names " recognition - if not much to follow that !!!!!!!!!!!

Actually , the comics-shop era has seen an awful lot of Phantom comic books especially from a variety of different publishers - Which , however , arguably have tended to try to make the Phantom more like the perceived mainstream for a US comic book character .

At present , Dynamite?? is publishing the Alex Ross-connected " The Last Phantom " miniseries , which I have only seen (6 bought) one issue of , which GREATLY retcons - and " grim and gritties " (!) - the Phantom concept .

Comics Revue magazine , which I wish I could get more regularly , offers pre-60s reprints of the strips of both characters regularly .

When I first got on the Web , I found out especially how popular the Phantom is in some non-USA markets - where he has MANY stories published , in comic-book form , which are never published in the US - including , at times , ones by name US pros !!!!!

Let's discuss these famous characters...

Views: 758

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...I once read , in an Australian-based Phantom site , a list of all the newspapers in Oz that carried the Phantom .

All , or all of one of them , were mentioned as being Murdoch/News Corp.-owned ones , which the site's owner was clearly fairly unhappy about .

This still the case Down Under , Figs ?

Figserello said:

I'm a huge fan of the Phantom, and think he has been handled exceptionally well for most of his long history.  But I'm something of a purist when it comes to his non-newspaper strip appearances (they don't count!)

Here's a short discussion we had on the Phantom lately.  2011 is the Phantom's 75th Anniversary, and if he isn't the 'first superhero' he's the first to have so many trappings of what the man in the street expects a superhero to have. Skintight costume, secret base, secret identity, exceptional skills, explicit mission to fight crime etc.

...Figs , are you following the King Phantom strip now ?

I just read to-day's ( oh , and Spidey's !!!!!!! )

...The character I thought was an evil boy genius may , in fact , be an H. Potter-like benelovent boy genius/nerd , in the daily strip .

Meanwhile , the Sunday is dealing with the aftermath of the Diana-dead storyline .

I'm really starting to like Paul Ryan's art more !!!!!!!!!

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...I once read , in an Australian-based Phantom site , a list of all the newspapers in Oz that carried the Phantom .

All , or all of one of them , were mentioned as being Murdoch/News Corp.-owned ones , which the site's owner was clearly fairly unhappy about .

I'd imagine the Murdoch group were able to get a good deal on the strips by buying it as a cartel.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Phantom was being published by the most widely read newspapers in each state.  The Aussies love him!

I didn't realise until I came to live here, that the 7 states/territories in Australia are very independent. Each has its own govenrment etc and also their own newspapers and TV stations. So I generally don't hear much of what's happening in other parts of Australia.

Anyway, in the state where I live you have a choice between a populist lowbrow Murdoch paper The Courier-Mail, or a relatively highbrow Murdoch paper - The Australian. Much the same articles appear in both, but with the big words taken out in the Courier-Mail.

The upshot is that I read neither. They are Murdoch filth. Which is all very well, but it means I can't follow the Phantom in the Courier-Mail. The strip is the first thing I read when I'm at friends' houses, or the barbers, however.

The Frew Phantom comic comes out every 3-4 weeks I think if not more frequently, and I look out for the ones that have the official Ryan/DePaul strips, and read them then. The Scandanavian strips that they bulk out their output with are supposed to be pretty good, and work in stuff from the official stories, but I'd never read them if I got each issue. There was a good one about a previous Phantom saving Carl Linneaus from being dumped in a leech pond!

The Diana Dead? story is some kind of landmark in American adventure comic strips for length. It was great. I loved it. I was sorry more of the readers here didn't follow it on that website when I posted the link.  Frew collected it recently as a 140 page story. (which answers a question you asked me elsewhere, EmerK.)  Sadly it wasn't square bound, which annoyed me...

The daily and Sunday strips entertwined in quite a complex way towards the end of the Diana storyline.  I've gathered that they've continued the Python story in recent strips but I'll have to wait for the Frew comic to sit down and read them.  I fell out of the habit of reading the Phantom on that Deep Woods website. 

I love Ryan's art. It tells the story clearly and has something of the simplicity and chunky masculinity of X-Men-era John Byrne.

I recently picked up this collectors item Phantom Encyclopaedia, by Frew, which makes for great reading.

...Anybody ever see or read the Wold Publications THE PHANTOM comic book from the early 90s ???

It was U. K.-published but in the standard U.S. size , full colo(u)r , except for the last issue , and mostly relied on the Egmont - Not called by that corporate name then , were they Semic then ??? - Scandanavian comic book materia ( in English ) , they were apparently latching onto the " Defenders of the Universe " ( which I've never see ) being nationally telecast on UK TV...Though they were distributed to comics shops in America , the company neglected to put a U.S. price on their covers , only a UK pence price...Which meant that I was able to wait/passive-agressively argue many comics shops into charging me only 99c/$1.25 for it , say , rather than the $1.99/$2.25 that I belive was what Wolf intended !!!!!!!!!

...It was WOLF publications , Wolf .

And the first ish had a tie-in logo for " DOTE " , that's whay I said !!!!!!!!!

Figserello said:

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

I'd imagine the Murdoch group were able to get a good deal on the strips by buying it as a cartel.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Phantom was being published by the most widely read newspapers in each state.  The Aussies love him!

I didn't realise until I came to live here, that the 7 states/territories in Australia are very independent. Each has its own govenrment etc and also their own newspapers and TV stations. So I generally don't hear much of what's happening in other parts of Australia.

Anyway, in the state where I live you have a choice between a populist lowbrow Murdoch paper The Courier-Mail, or a relatively highbrow Murdoch paper - The Australian. Much the same articles appear in both, but with the big words taken out in the Courier-Mail.

The upshot is that I read neither. They are Murdoch filth. Which is all very well, but it means I can't follow the Phantom in the Courier-Mail. The strip is the first thing I read when I'm at friends' houses, or the barbers, however.

The Frew Phantom comic comes out every 3-4 weeks I think if not more frequently, and I look out for the ones that have the official Ryan/DePaul strips, and read them then. The Scandanavian strips that they bulk out their output with are supposed to be pretty good, and work in stuff from the official stories, but I'd never read them if I got each issue. There was a good one about a previous Phantom saving Carl Linneaus from being dumped in a leech pond!

The Diana Dead? story is some kind of landmark in American adventure comic strips for length. It was great. I loved it. I was sorry more of the readers here didn't follow it on that website when I posted the link.  Frew collected it recently as a 140 page story. (which answers a question you asked me elsewhere, EmerK.)  Sadly it wasn't square bound, which annoyed me...

The daily and Sunday strips entertwined in quite a complex way towards the end of the Diana storyline.  I've gathered that they've continued the Python story in recent strips but I'll have to wait for the Frew comic to sit down and read them.  I fell out of the habit of reading the Phantom on that Deep Woods website. 

I love Ryan's art. It tells the story clearly and has something of the simplicity and chunky masculinity of X-Men-era John Byrne.

I recently picked up this collectors item Phantom Encyclopaedia, by Frew, which makes for great reading.

...Presumably , Figs , Frew did not publish their periodic reprints of the contemporary King strips during the IDD story;ine's run , then ???
  Do they still publish the twice-ish yearly annuals/specials dominated by Falk strory re-reprints ?

I did casually see that , ot one recent point , they reprinted the Phantom-Diana marriage story again in a normal issue , perhaps to remind the readers that she wasn't REALLY dead...???

...Presumably , Figs , Frew did not publish their periodic reprints of the contemporary King strips during the IDD story;ine's run , then ???

Yes they did, actually.  There were, I think, 2 Sunday serials that occurred during Diana's absence/demise, and they reflected the Phantom's grief-stricken status quo.

The collections of King strips only come out a few times a year in any case.

Do they still publish the twice-ish yearly annuals/specials dominated by Falk strory re-reprints ?

Once a year they bring out a large, square-bound annual - that doesn't have writing on the spine - grrrr.  Around Xmas which is also the middle of the summer hols here, so a lot of them are probably bought to keep the kids quiet on the long car journeys that are involved in holidays in this big, big country.

As a comics fan it's very heartening to see the stacks of these annuals in each newsagents. 

They print thick collections of the Falk stories at other times of the year, but they aren't square-bound.

I did casually see that , ot one recent point , they reprinted the Phantom-Diana marriage story again in a normal issue , perhaps to remind the readers that she wasn't REALLY dead...???

Well, the marriage was a hot topic at that point.  I'll have to check if I have the wedding.  It occured on a different day, depending if you are reading the Sunday or daily strips... 

Take that, continuity tragics!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service