Is there really no discussion of this yet? We are falling down on the job, people! I, for one, thought the movie was terrific. What did y'all think?

Views: 572

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When Thor could not lift his hammer at the SHIELD site, the despair and humiliation on his face was as tragic as any Shakespearean play. Then he's led away, humbled. A truly gut-wrenching scene.

CharlieKweskill said:
Saw it.  Liked it.  This was the one super-hero movie that they could have done terribly wrong.  They didn't.  I specially liked how they played Odin as more of a king than a god.  And even though they avoided the Shakespearean dialog, I thought Branaugh's Shakespearean influence showed in the Asgard court scenes.

Saw it tonight....

[rant mode]I haven't seen a movie in a theater in about 5 years, and I doubt I'll be back any time soon.  From the constant commercials to the fifteen minutes of trailers that left me lukewarm (referring to Green Lantern, Captain America and X-Men: First Class)...bleah, just get on with the dadgum movie already[/rant mode]

As for the movie, I thought it was kind of okay.  There were some good moments, but like a lot of stuff that JMS writes, there just was too much talking and not enough action.

Some stuff that plain didn't work for me:

* None of the other warriors who invaded Jotunheim were punished.  None.  Makes no sense.

* Colson just lets Thor go after he's trashed the entire compound/? Really?

* Boy, Colson was sure ready to anoint Thor as a hero PDQ after he got his hammer back.  Never mind that he'd trashed SHIELD and probably put half his men in the hospital.

* Really, would it have hurt to show Thor stopping a robbery or something?  Anything to establish him as something of a hero on Earth prior to regaining his hammer?

* No way the Destroyer goes down that easily. No...@#$ing...way.

* Would it have hurt to give Hogun and Volstagg some headgear?

* Where the hell was Balder?  I love the Warriors Three, but Balder's ties to Thor--at least, Marvel's Thor--are greater.

* I find Heimdall one of the most fascinating characters in Thor's universe.  I would love to have gotten more of a feeling of what makes him tick.  What makes a man forsake everything to guard a bridge 24/7?

There were some things I liked. 

* The guy playing Loki rocked.

* Thor getting hit twice by the car was funny.

* The hammer-lifting event was fun.

* Yup, I enjoyed the cryptic references to Agent Barton, and I thought Thor was fighting Cage myself.

* Darcy=cool, although it did sort of seem like Ghost World meets Thor

* We did get to see Volstagg being Volstagg--even if only for a brief moment at the feast.

So yeah, I thought there were some good moments, but ultimately I think it could have been a much better movie.

Just saw it last night. Second best super-hero movie behind Iron Man I.  It wasn't perfect but I wasn't expecting perfection.  I wanted a super-hero action movie. 

I was surprised by how much humor was included and how well it fit.  Thor shoving eggs and pancakes into his face was great!  And Darcy wasn't the only character with great one-liners.  I laughed out loud when Thor laid his hammer on Loki's chest.  Priceless.

Okay, so I finally saw this tonight with some non-comics-reading friends. I told them they all had to wait to the end of the credits, because I was told there was something really cool. I had no idea what it was supposed to be. Imagine everyone's disappointment in their "comic guy" friend as we exited the theater.

Is that something from the comics?

************************************SPOILER ALERT*************************************************************

Jeff, that was the Cosmic Cube!

OOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Okay, now that makes sense. Thanks, Philip!

Plus it seems that Loki will be responsible for bringing the movie Avengers together just as he did in the comics. Some people never learn....

Watched this last night - liked it alot. My favorite even, of the Marvel movies that I've watched so far.  Otherwise, I don't have alot to add to what's already been said here. I can't imagine that I was the only person who saw Fury showing the Cosmic Cube to Selvig at the end and thought: "So that's what was in the case in Pulp Fiction!"

On the DVD, you can see some cut scenes and one of my faves is Thor taking a mug back to the diner to replace the one he smashed. 

In the Marvel Universe, MacGuffins are cubular.

The Baron said:

Watched this last night - liked it alot. My favorite even, of the Marvel movies that I've watched so far.  Otherwise, I don't have alot to add to what's already been said here. I can't imagine that I was the only person who saw Fury showing the Cosmic Cube to Selvig at the end and thought: "So that's what was in the case in Pulp Fiction!"

Not until you mentioned it, but cool idea...I could see Fury as a hit man.

The Baron said:

I can't imagine that I was the only person who saw Fury showing the Cosmic Cube to Selvig at the end and thought: "So that's what was in the case in Pulp Fiction!"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service