Many years ago, I taught folklore at a summer camp(we had new campers each week of different ages, from 8-15). At the time, the folklore class was pretty unstructured, so I could more or less do as I pleased. Sometimes I told ghost stories, sometimes sports games, sometimes mythology, whatever I thought might be entertaining to the kids. One of the most useful things we did was two minute mysteries, as they allowed me to be lazy.

The basic rules are as follows: a scenario is laid before the people playing, and you're allowed to ask as many yes/no questions as you like to determine the answer. The answer to the question may also be 'Irrelevant' if it has no bearing on the solution.

I request the following :

* One question per post

* If you already know the answer, please keep it to yourself and let others play. Same with Googling the answer.

Once the scenario is solved, the person who solves it gets to post a new one OR they can pass it back to someone else who's interested (FYI, I'm happy to post more).

So here's the first scenario:

A man is found dead, surrounded by 52 bicycles. What happened?

Views: 7001

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No

MethodEng said:

Was he up a wooden ladder that had been partially sawn through?

No

JD DeLuzio said:

Did he get hit by a felled tree?

(Which seems odd, but not impossible, given that he's in a residential building).

Okay. I think I've got it.

The man was unaware of his residence's termite problem and discovered it the hard way.

He fell through either a weakened floor or staircase and unfortunately died.

Right?

No. Nice theory though.

Lee Houston, Junior said:

Okay. I think I've got it.

The man was unaware of his residence's termite problem and discovered it the hard way.

He fell through either a weakened floor or staircase and unfortunately died.

Right?


Randy Jackson said:

If he had seen the sawdust he wouldn't have died  

Okay, it's obvious.

Did a strange turn of fate transform all tools and utensils into anthropomorphic beings, and, had he noticed the saw dust (or even the screwdriver vacuum or the wrench mow the lawn), he would have been prepared for the homicidal hammer and the murderous drill who, shortly thereafter, killed him? 

I think I've said this before, JD, but you're weird.

I like you!

No

JD DeLuzio said:


Randy Jackson said:

If he had seen the sawdust he wouldn't have died  

Okay, it's obvious.

Did a strange turn of fate transform all tools and utensils into anthropomorphic beings, and, had he noticed the saw dust (or even the screwdriver vacuum or the wrench mow the lawn), he would have been prepared for the homicidal hammer and the murderous drill who, shortly thereafter, killed him? 

I'm not quite sure of how it all played out, but I'm pretty sure I know one key piece of information, thanks to Randy's clue below...

Did the sawdust come from his wooden leg?

Randy Jackson said:

Hmm...is everyone stumped ?

Yes

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I'm not quite sure of how it all played out, but I'm pretty sure I know one key piece of information, thanks to Randy's clue below...

Did the sawdust come from his wooden leg?

Randy Jackson said:

Hmm...is everyone stumped ?

Peter Wrexham said on Friday:

I think I know the solution to this, so I'll be sitting it out.

If the sawdust comes from his wooden leg, I was wrong in thinking that I knew the solution.  The answer that I was expecting was that he died because he stepped on a staircase tread that had been sawn through.  Looks as though that's not the case!

And here I was going through every scenario where a tree stump might be fatal.

Since the answer isn't what I thought, I guess I'm back in the game.  Did the dead man saw through his own wooden leg?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service