As far as I can tell, five comics characters have called themselves "The Wasp" over the years.  The first was Burton Slade, a crusading newsman who became a generic mystery man of the sort that used to be all over these hills back in the day.  He first appeared in 1939 and was published by Lev Gleason. He looked like this:

The second was the suspiciously-similar Dan Burton, a crusading newsman who also became a generic mystery man.  (Skipper, how come you never became a generic mystery man?)  He first appeared in 1941 and was published by Harvey Comics.  He looked like this:

The third was Janet Van Dyne, who should need no introduction on this board.  She first appeared in 1963 and was (and for aught I know still is) published by Marvel Comics. She is my favorite Wasp.  She has had many looks over the years. This is one of them:

The fourth was Henry Pym, who first appeared in 1962, but became the Wasp in 2009 in tribute to Jan, who was being dead for a while, perhaps for tax purposes, Hotblack Desiato style.  This strikes me as very creepy. Imagine if your wife died, and you started calling yourself by her name, and doing her job. They'd probably send the men in white coats after you! Anyway, he looked like this:

The fifth is called simply Nadia, so far.  She claims to be the daughter of Hank Pym by his first wife, Maria Trovaya.  Iron Man and Ms. Marvel (SPOILERS for All-New, All-Different Avengers #9 follow) theorize that she was pregnant when she was kidnapped and that Hank never knew about it.  I leave it to one of the Board's Old Ones to explain what sort of hash this does or does not make of Silver Age continuity. She seems to have been raised to be a sort of Winter Soldier. when she showed an aptitude for science, she was told of her parentage and encouraged to study. She got a hold of a "black market Pym Particle", mastered its uses and escaped, coming to America, only to find the Hank is unavailable (Is he being dead now?), and thus seeking out the Avengers. She looks like this:

I am suspicious.  Stark scans her and her bio-signs seem to indicate truthfulness. Jarvis is initially violently skeptical, but seems to be won over at the end. I don't think she's a knowing spy - but I suspect an unwitting sleeper agent. Time will tell....

Views: 1508

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is a popular "creepypasta" about a woman being surgically turned into a Barbie doll. Apparently she chose to be incorrect in that respect.

G.I. Joe has his own Jeep! Ken, as far as I know, doesn't have a car or even a place to live. Wouldn't be surprised if he was just mooching at Barbie's Dream House.

That's not really a bad thing Cap.  Free room and board, beautiful woman...  I can imagine worse lives.

When I think about it in terms of concept Jan, Barbie and Tinkerbelle have a lot in common.  I can imagine Jan playing Tinkerbelle in some sort of Christmas play.

Captain Comics said:

G.I. Joe has his own Jeep! Ken, as far as I know, doesn't have a car or even a place to live. Wouldn't be surprised if he was just mooching at Barbie's Dream House.

They dropped Ken a number of years ago, then brought him back after complaints, saying he'd been making changes to his lifestyle (like working out) to get Barbie back. They also for some reason gave Barbie's sister Skipper black hair with purple streaks recently. Apparently she's now a Goth. There was an animated series with an episode in Hawaii where she kept getting knocked out by coconuts falling out of trees on her head, so they apparently made her the comedy relief.

Jan is listed at being 5 feet tall, considerably shorter than Wanda or Sue or Crystal. Before the first time she got killed she could retain her wings at as much as 3 or 4 feet.

One thing I've always wondered is why G. I. Joe is not a member of the later G. I. Joe Team.

WRT the Barbie and Ken and G.I. Joe, don't tell me none of you guys remember this commercial from about twenty-five years ago . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8QKK5IDSXE

Yea, that's the kind of life I want :)  After all once Barbie leaves Ken is free to date Lady Jaye or Scarlet or even the Baroness.

I was thinking and the first time I saw the Wasp and Yellowjacket was in the Marvel Team Up where they fought the Thermodynmic Man and Hank had secretly upped Jan's powers.

Commander Benson said:

WRT the Barbie and Ken and G.I. Joe, don't tell me none of you guys remember this commercial from about twenty-five years ago . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8QKK5IDSXE

Let's not kid ourselves. If Barbie left Ken, he'd try to date Cobra Commander.

Or Serpentor.  

I think Ken gets a bit of a bad rap, he's like Jerry Lewis to Gi-Joe's Dean Martin.

Or Destro.

Must be difficult being a male Lois Lane. He could form a support group with Steve Trevor and Tuxedo Mask.

Ronald Morgan said:

Or Destro.

Must be difficult being a male Lois Lane. He could form a support group with Steve Trevor and Tuxedo Mask.

I'd read that comic.

Baron, you should write that comic. Brains would explode all over the planet.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service