Over in the "TV Shows I Am Binging" thread, I noted that I got hooked on This Is Us, which led to a quick discussion over the show's merits and a pledge to talk about the latest episode. We threw out the idea of having that conversation in the "What Are You Watching Right Now?" thread, but I decided to start one dedicated to the show. Although I titled it "Season 4," I'm not going to limit my observations to that season alone,
So far, it's just been me and Jeff, but I welcome anyone else to join in -- especially Tracy! We've seen too little of you here in the Comics Cave!
Now, that said -- can it work if one half of the couple merely loves the other half, and the other half is in love? Maybe, but Madison is right not to bet on it.
And the flash-forward surprise ending! Which told a lot, but not everything!
- We're five years into the future, and Kate's getting married? Wha' hoppen?
- Kate's getting married to Phillip?
- Kevin does have a woman in his life (as evidenced by the bra lying around his hotel room), but we don't know who.
- Kevin is pretty friendly with Madison; could she be that woman in his life? Just because they called off the wedding doesn't mean they couldn't have found their way to being together.
- Uncle Nicky makes a crack about "the wife." He's got a woman in his life?
- Randall gets a profile in The New Yorker calling him a "rising star." At what? He's moved beyond being a mere city councilman, but to what? Mayor? The state legislature? Governor? The House? The Senate? A Cabinet post? Inquiring minds want to know!
One thing I did not notice, but other fans did: Madison is wearing the earrings her mother gave her in the flashback. So there's somebody in her life, too, in this future. Could it be Kevin?
Whereas I definitely think it can, the result is by no means guaranteed.
Then again, there's no guarantee even when both are "in love."