FLAVOR GIRLS #2

REALIST ORGINAL LAST DAY ON EARTH GN

DARK HORSE COMICS

BEASTLANDS: KEEPERS OF THE KINGDOM TP

CLOAKED TP 

CRITICAL ROLE: MIGHTY NEIN ORIGINS — YASHA NYDOORIN GN

INTO RADNESS TP

Story: Kyle Strahm | Art/Cover: Jake Smith  | $19.99

Dark Horse Books presents Into Radness, an original action-packed sci-fi romp written by Kyle Strahm (Twig, Unearth, Spread), with art by Jake Smith (Blood Force Trauma), and letters by Crank!.

Dylan, Trixie and their friends want to be Internet famous, but their show, INTO RADNESS, has 12 subscribers and it’s terrible. Blowing up old VHS tapes and setting slime on fire just doesn’t bring in the views.

But freaky things are starting to happen in the city of Back Alley. When the teens are filmed defending themselves from an oozing ZONKED creature, they become overnight celebrities. Oh, and that creature? There are a lot more of those roaming the streets!

Friendships are strained and battle plans drawn as six teens descend INTO RADNESS!!

"Into Radness is a story for anyone who's ever created something and tried to get people to pay attention,” Straham says. “It's about the rewards and consequences that come with going viral and ultimately, an exploration of why we make things in the first place. Plus, monster fights."

Praise for Unearth and Twig:

“What Bunn and Strahm have demonstrated with this debut issue, is that they are masters at their craft. They have developed an interesting premise, that doesn't feel ‘recycled’. It feels fresh and exciting. These guys are no slouch when it comes to writing horror.” — The Comic Lounge

“After setting such a high bar with the first few pages, Unearth keeps you on edge, as new terrors could be lurking behind every page turn.” — Horror DNA

Unearth is weird in all the best ways possible, layered with ideas to explore while never fully disclosing what the story is about or where it’s heading. While that aspect can often be frustrating, it’s actually one of this book’s greatest strengths.” — Geek’d Out

Unearth was brutal, feel-bad comic booking that excels in its sense of hopeless dread. It’s the kind of book that spits in the face of titles like The Walking Dead and dares you to care about any of the characters. Sit back, put on your favorite funeral-doom record, and shiver while reading this new nightmare.” —  The Two-Headed Nerd

"Visually stunning, narratively fascinating, and brilliantly executed, today’s title Twig #1, is exactly the kind of book that the comic industry needs, and people looking to get others into comics have been searching for." —  Biff Bam Pop

• I guess this is aimed at an audience which considers Internet fame a goal in and of itself, which is not me. However, I do confess interest in "monster fights."

KUROSAGI CORPSE DELIVERY SERVICE BOOK 5 OMNIBUS ED TP

MOB PSYCHO 100 VOL 9 TP

OVERWATCH: NEW BLOOD #2

PARASOMNIA: THE DREAMING GOD #1

Story: Cullen Bunn | Art: Andrea Mutti | Letters: Simon Bowland | $3.99

The nightmare of breakout series Parasomnia returns in Parasomnia: The Dreaming God.

As the hunt for his missing son continues, our hero shifts worlds from the nightmarish Lovecraftian dreamscape to a cyberpunk metropolis where a ruthless cult continues to plague him, and reality and fantasy continue to blur.

“When working on the original series, it quickly became evident to me that two worlds couldn’t contain this story,” says Cullen Bunn.  “I love the 18th century horror/fantasy setting of our dream realm. But dreams change and change again. As the Dreaming God story kicks off, we’re showcasing the limitless potential of dreams and nightmares. This is a book that will play with your expectations. There’s no way (yet) to guess where this story will take you.”

“PARASOMNIA is a series without limits just like the imagination,” Andrea Mutti says. “There is no world that cannot be created and there are no impossible situations. If you can imagine it, you can live it! The series is an incredible journey voyaging in the company of unforgettable and extraordinary characters!”

Praise for Parasomnia:

“There's such beauty and dread in the art and it all comes together to deliver a start that has me wanting to see where it all goes from here.” — Graphic Policy

Parasomnia #1 is a gorgeous and compelling opening chapter that leaves much to the imagination, begging its readers to continue to the next issue.” — Monkeys Fighting Robots

Parasomnia #1 is a visually stunning dark fantasy, wearing its pulp fiction influences on its sleeve and setting up an intriguing mystery.” — But Why Tho?

• Mark Sullivan reviews the first Parasomnia series here.

TALES FROM HARROW COUNTY: THE LOST ONES #4

DC COMICS

AQUAMAN & THE FLASH: THE VOID #3 (OF 3)

BATMAN: ONE BAD DAY — THE RIDDLER #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Tom King | Art: Mitch Gerads | 64 pages | $7.99

DC will be publishing a series of standalone, 64-page, one-shot comics featuring Batman’s world-famous enemies! The series of releases, under the header "Batman — One Bad Day," will tell definitive tales featuring The Riddler, Two-Face, The Penguin, Mr. Freeze, Catwoman, Bane, Clayface and Ra’s al Ghul!

"Dreadful Reins”

In DC’s Batman — One Bad Day line of original graphic novels, comics’ top talents will tell all-new tales of the Dark Knight’s worst enemies in their best stories yet, in eight standalone, 64-page Prestige format one-shots! It all starts in August with Batman — One Bad Day: The Riddler, from the Eisner Award-winning team of writer Tom King and artist Mitch Gerads, diving deep into the mind of Batman’s most intellectual foe! Scroll down for a look inside the issue!

The Riddler has killed a man in broad daylight for seemingly no reason, but … there’s always a reason. The Riddler is always playing a game, there are always rules. Batman will reach his wits’ end trying to figure out the Riddler’s true motivation in this epic psychological thriller; this new 64-page OGN is not to be missed!

“This is exactly everything I've ever wanted to do, since I knew I could ever touch these characters,” Gerads recently told Popverse. “I went back to the roots of everyone involved, of Riddler, Batman, Gordon, everyone that I wanted to use in the book.

BATMAN/SUPERMAN: WORLD’S FINEST #6

BATMAN: THE KNIGHT #8 (OF 10)

BLACK ADAM #3

CATWOMAN #46

DARK CRISIS: YOUNG JUSTICE #3 (OF 6)

DC VS. VAMPIRES  #2 (OF 6)

DUO #4 (OF 6)

Story: Greg Pak | Art: Khoi Pham, Scott Hanna | Cover: Dike Ruan | $3.99

The only thing worse than being hunted by gods is catching the attention of ambitious human scientists! When the mysterious Dr. Tinker hears about David and Kelly’s incredible regenerative powers, he moves to make the technology his own by any means necessary … even if it means dissecting them for it!

• Heads up, Milestone readers!

THE FLASH #785

HARLEY QUINN #20

• Ooh, look! An homage to Detective Comics #359! Somewhere, Carmine Infantino is smiling.

NIGHTWING #95

ROBIN & BATMAN HC

SANDMAN #1 FACSIMILE EDITION

SCOOBY-DOO WHERE ARE YOU #117

SWAMP THING VOL 2: THE CONDUIT TP

WONDER WOMAN VOL 2: THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY TP

WONDER WOMAN: BLACK & GOLD HC

• Of all the "color" books of recent vintage, this one's at the top of my list.

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

AOD VS. REANIMATOR: NECRONOMICON RISING #2

THE BOYS: DEAR BECKY HC

• I have all the rest of The Boys; might as well complete the set.

IMMORTAL RED SONJA #5

LADY HEL #1

Story: Erik Burnham | Art: Zhengis Tasbolatov | Cover: Lucio Parrillo | $3.99

She is the very personification of death - or at least she WAS. When we last saw Lady Hel, she was paying the price for messing with the half-demon, Purgatori. Now deposed, Lady Hel must find a way to seize back her throne. There's just one problem: she no longer has the power to do much more than exist. Meanwhile, what happens to the world when death is no longer a fact of life? It ain't pretty! Plus: where Lady Hel goes, can Lady Demon be far to follow?

• I had to look this one up, as this was a Chaos character I had never seen before. Turns out I was pretty familiar with the source material.
  • "Mistress Hel is the Norse incarnation of death itself in the CHAOS! universe. Her goal is to regain the fear and worship of humanity so she may become powerful enough to overthrow Chaos Lords such as Lucifer and rule all of Hell."  Gamevine.com
  • It's good to have goals, but who really wants to live in Hell? Wouldn't it be nicer to live in Asgard? Or Vanaheim? She could commute, I guess.
  • And while the hood is a nice touch, I still prefer Kirby's bizarre headgear.

MADBALLS VS. GARBAGE PAIL KIDS #2

IDW PUBLISHING

DARK SPACES: WILDFIRE #2

MY LITTLE PONY: GENERATIONS TP

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG ANNUAL 2022

STAR TREK: MIRROR WAR #8 (OF 8)

TRVE KVLT #1

Covers: Liana Kangas & Gab Contreras, Maria Llovet, Fabian Lelay & Lizard

Following a successful Kickstarter campaign and a groundswell of fan support, IDW is excited to announce the August debut of TRVE KVLT (pronounced “True Cult”), a twisted and hilarious five-issue miniseries scripted by Scott Bryan Wilson (Batman: Gotham Nights) with art by Liana Kangas (Star Wars Adventures) and colors by Gab Contreras.

Combining the kitschy thrills of satanic heavy metal with the horrors of working in fast food, TRVE KVLT is the second title in IDW’s recently announced slate of original comics, following Scott Snyder and Hayden Sherman’s Dark Spaces: Wildfire.

After 15 years working for local fast-food franchise Burger Lord, down-and-out loser and proud metalhead Marty (aka “Tarantula”) feels burned out and ready for a full-life reset. After his last-ditch attempt to lock down some cash goes awry, Marty — alongside plucky new Burger Lord hire Alison — finds himself ensnared in the web of a violent satanic death cult with ruthless and deadly intentions.

“I had an idea for a project set in the world of fast food that had supernatural/satanic elements,” Wilson says. “Liana [Kangas] and I bonded over our time in the trenches working fast food and got more and more excited about building the world of Burger Lord. We saw that our excitement for the subject matter resonated with fans, too. It seems like everybody has, or has had, a terrible job with an incompetent boss that they hated. We’re so thrilled to team up with IDW to get this to a wider audience!”

“I remember a time when I scoured the comic shelves for any new releases that resembled my favorite movies,” says Kangas. “While I can’t say that TRVE KVLT is exactly like any movie you’ve seen, if you love the Coen Brothers, Pulp Fiction, and maybe a little bit of Ryan Reynolds or Good Burger humor, this is the book for you.”

“The story gained a lot of loyal supporters since the Kickstarter project,” says colorist Gab Contreras. “Fans have even been creating artwork and cosplay based on the series! It’s really amazing. I’m excited for the opportunity to meet some of our fans in person at future events.”

“TRVE KVLT is the comic I’ve been looking for since I first started reading comics,” says IDW editor Chase Marotz. “Wickedly funny, brutally honest, and with a true love for its beautifully weird and damaged cast of characters wrapped up in a heavy metal heist story. Scott and Liana haven’t just created a tightly woven satanic thrill ride, but a whole crew of people you’ll want to spend time with. Put on a Winger cassette, grab a large soda, and join us for the fun.”

• “I had an idea for a project set in the world of fast food that had supernatural/satanic elements,” Wilson says. He probably got the idea from the shake machines at McDonald's, which are already possessed by demons.

USAGI YOJIMBO #30

IMAGE COMICS

20TH CENTURY MEN #1 (OF 6)

Story: Deniz Camp | Art:  S. Morian | Covers: S. Morian, Igor Kordey | $3.99

Ringo Award nominated, Millarworld Talent Hunt winning writer Deniz Camp (Quarantine Comix Special, the upcoming Bloodshot Unleashed) joins up-and-coming artist S. Morian for the forthcoming 20th Century Men. This dark, speculative fiction, six-issue miniseries will launch from Image Comics in August.

At the end of the 20th century, superheroes, geniuses, madmen and activists rush towards WWIII! A Soviet “iron” hero, a superpowered American president, an insane cyborg soldier, an Afghan woman hellbent on building a better life for her people — these strange yet familiar beings collide in a story that mixes history, politics, and comic book mythology into something totally new. Welcome to 20th Century Men, where the edges of our reality and fiction touch, overlap … and then explode.

"20th Century Men is MORE than just a war comic; it’s a warped mirror that reflects past, present and future," said Camp in an exclusive scoop on the announcement at The POPverse. "Creating this book with S. Morian has been the most intimate and collaborative experience of my life, and the result is something I never could have imagined. If you liked nuanced, layered characters, dense, experimental storytelling, and speculative fiction grounded in history/pop culture, I think you’ll love 20th Century Men."

Morian added: "While drawing this series I had this nightmare: I was on some scorched earth, wrapped in fumes, hiding, and then I hear this terrible noise get stronger, deafening. In the air is a scary man-machine — ironclad flying tank, spouting fire — rising from a column of smoke ... and then his sensors and guns turn toward me. Now you can have this nightmare too!"

20th Century Men is a sprawling, anti-imperialist war story that features a layered, speculative fiction storytelling, akin to Jonathan Hickman and Tomm Coker’s The Black Monday Murders, paired with brutal character work similar to that of a classic Garth Ennis comic.

ABOVE SNAKES #2

BLOOD STAINED TEETH #5

COMPLETE CYBER FORCE VOL 1 HC

Story: Marc Silvestri, Eric Silvestri, Jim Lee, Walter Simonson, Chris Claremont | Art: Marc Silvestri, Walter Simonson, Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, David Finch, Joe Chiodo, Aaron A, Michael Turner, Joe Benitez | Cover: Marc Silvestri | 664 pages | $49.99

In celebration of Top Cow Productions/Image Comics’ 30th anniversary, Cyberforce is being collected in a special action-packed 664-page hardcover collection of the original stories that launched the Top Cow Universe. The original Cyberforce run features the work of legendary creators Marc Silvestri, Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Walter Simonson, David Finch, Joe Chiodo, Scott Williams, Brian Haberlin, Joe Benitez and Michael Turner which has not been reprinted in any format since 1994.

"It's wonderful, surreal, and a bit crazy that we're celebrating 30 years since Cyberforce first burst on the comic scene! The Cyberforce Complete Collection is a love letter to the '90s and to all the talented creators and amazing fans that made the whole Cyberforce adventure possible," said Top Cow President Matt Hawkins. "Thirty years is a milestone for any project or company and we look forward to 30 more."

Cyberforce is about a group of cybernetically enhanced resistance fighters on the run from the monolithic multi-national conglomerate CYBERDATA that created them. All the big action, larger-than-life characters you loved return in this gorgeously rendered and assembled first volume of Cyberforce absolute collected editions!

Cyberforce Complete Collection Vol. 1 hardcover collects Cyberforce #0, Cyberforce Tin Men of War #1-4, the “Killer Instinct” crossover with Wildcats #5-7, Cyberforce volume 2 #1-13, Cyberforce: Origins #1, Cyblade, Cyberforce: Origins #2 and Stryker and the Cyberforce Annual #1.

• I'm sure I sampled Cyberforce back in the '90s with the rest of the Image premieres, and since I didn't collect it, probably didn't like it. What's your take on this series, Legionnaires? And should I get this book for historical value, or ignore it? (Again?)

CROSSOVER #1 3D SPECIAL

DO A POWERBOMB #3

ECHOLANDS VOL 1 HC

FIRE POWER BY KIRKMAN & SAMNEE #23

Story: Robert Kirkman | Art: Chris Samnee & Matthew Wilson | Covers: Chris Samnee & Matthew Wilson, David Finch & Dave McCaig, Jae Lee & June Chung, Kim Jung Gi & Pyeongjun Park | $3.99

Today Skybound revealed a first look at Fire Power by Kirkman & Samnee #23, from the legendary team of writer Robert Kirkman, artist Chris Samnee, colorist Matthew Wilson and letterer Rus Wooton. 

Face to face with the dragon! The long-awaited dragon fight is here, and not all of your favorites may make it through alive in the penultimate issue of the story arc. 

“It’s borderline criminal that more people aren’t talking about Fire Power as one of the best comics around...it will delight fans of action-packed adventures.” — CBR

THE LAST SHADOWHAWK #1

Story: Philip Tan | Story: Brian Haberlin | Inks: Daniel Henriques

In the not-too-distant future, the world will be just as it is today … only worse. Evil has permeated the very fabric of society, from the halls of government to the darkened alleyways. Will the heroes who once defended the downtrodden fail them now? Will a new generation rise, inspired by the last of the old? Who will be The Last ShadowHawk?

"I wanted to do something special for ShadowHawk's 30th anniversary and what better than to have long-time ShadowHawk fan, great artist and all around swell guy Philip Tan create a whole new book?" said Jim Valentino, Vice President at Image Comics and creator of ShadowHawk. "Aided by Brian Haberlin on script, Daniel Henriques (inks) and Federico Blee (colors) with covers by the likes of Philip, Rob Liefeld, Bill Sienkeiwicz and more I think we've come up with something really special that long-time as well as new fans will enjoy."

Tan added: "There is not enough space in two sentences to express how much Jim Valentino's works and creations meant to me, and when the opportunity to be part of this special project came up, I just had to grab it! Everyone that loves ShadowHawk will not want to miss this!"

• This is what you get when somebody wants to make money off Wolverine, but he's owned by a different company.
  • Lord, that '90s over-rendering brings back bad memories. Definitely skipping this, like I did the original series in the '90s.
  • Yes, there are homages in the covers. Almost all of 'em, in fact. What, you're expecting originality now?

NITA HAWES' NIGHTMARE BLOG #7

ORDINARY GODS #8

PULP HC PROCESS EDITION

SEVEN SONS #3

SHIRTLESS BEAR-FIGHTER 2 #1

Covers: Dave Johnson, Chris Brunner, Paolo Rivera, Daniel Warren Johnson

The side-splitting, flapjack-snacking, fan-favorite Shirtless Bear-Fighter by Jody LeHeup and Nil Vendrell is back this August with a new story arc — and fans can BEARly wait. … This much-fuzzed-about series will return to shelves this August with Shirtless Bear-Fighter 2 #1 out from Image Comics.

FINALLY! The man, the myth, the legend — SHIRTLESS BEAR-FIGHTER RETURNS to the War on Bearror in a wild new action-comedy with higher stakes, new characters and all the heart and hilarity fans have come to expect. This time, Shirtless’s search for his true origin sets him on a cosmic collision course with the bear god … URSA MAJOR!

"Shirtless Bear-Fighter is quite possibly the most joyful comic of all time and given the events of the last few years, we could all use some of that joy right now," LeHeup said in an exclusive scoop on the announcement at ComicBook.com. "So I'm absolutely thrilled to announce Shirtless Bear-Fighter 2. We always said we wouldn't do more unless we found the right story and boy did we find it. I cannot wait for fans to see what Nil and I have in store. If you thought volume one was wild, you haven't seen anything yet. Prebear yourselves!"

SILVER COIN #13

UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY #20

THE WALKING DEAD DLX #45

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #1 FACSIMILE EDITION

AVENGERS: 1,000,000 B.C. #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Jason Aaron | Art: Kev Walker | Covers: Ed McGuinness, Alex Horley | Teen+ | $4.99

New revelations behind the origins of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes are set to be revealed in a special one-shot titled AVENGERS: 1,000,000 B.C. Arriving in July, the giant-sized issue will take readers to the earliest days of the Marvel Universe and back to the start of Jason Aaron’s AVENGERS run when he first introduced the Avengers of 1,000,000 B.C. Aaron will team up with artist Kev Walker to unearth long-awaited answers behind this original incarnation of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, including Thor’s mysterious connection to the Phoenix Force. The story also promises to reveal how this fascinating addition to the Avengers mythos will play into a major upcoming Avengers saga later this year.

They are the defenders of the dawn of time. Marvel’s first and mightiest legacy heroes. But their greatest secrets have never been revealed. Until now. Witness the dark events that shatter their ranks. See how their lives come to shape the entire future of the Marvel Universe. And be there for the monumental event that reunites them one last time: the true story of Thor’s birth.

“The Prehistoric Avengers have been an important key to my AVENGERS run since the very beginning,” Aaron explained. “They are the earliest versions of some of the earth's most powerful legacy characters. They're the heroes who protect the Marvel Universe in its crib. And now we finally get to see them all in the spotlight in a huge way. In a story that shows how these prehistoric heroes shaped Marvel history in the most profound ways and that will also have big ramifications for the Avengers going forward.”

“When I first got the script for this, I was expecting a 30-page prehistoric smack-down,” Walker added. “But Jason’s script was so much more than that, and I’ve really had to work hard to do some of these scenes justice.“

• How many origins can a Thunder God have? If the Phoenix of 1,000,000 BCE turns out to be his mother, then she will be his third.

A.X.E.: DEATH TO MUTANTS #1

• Judgment Day-related

BLACK PANTHER: SAGA OF SHURI AND T'CHALLA TP

CAPTAIN MARVEL #40

CONAN THE KING: THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

• Probably the last Conan omnibus we'll see from Marvel for a while.

DAREDEVIL #2

Story: Chip Zdarsky | Art: Marco Checchetto, Rafael Delatorre, Alex Maleev, Paul Azaceta, Phil Noto, Chris Samnee, Klaus Janson, Mike Hawthorne, more | Covers: Marco Checchetto, Gary Frank | Teen+ | $5.99

Writer Chip Zdarsky and artist Marco Checchetto’s Eisner-nominated DAREDEVIL run continued with a radical new saga that will explore both Matt Murdock and Elektra Natchios’ journeys as DAREDEVIL. Hitting stands yesterday, DAREDEVIL #1 was an extraordinary debut issue that welcomed readers to the darkest Hell’s Kitchen era to date. And next month, the most legendary artists from throughout Daredevil history will join Zdarsky and Checchetto in DAREDEVIL #2 for a giant-sized celebration to mark the milestone 650th issue of DAREDEVIL including Rafael DeLatorre, Alex Maleev, Paul Azaceta, Phil Noto, Chris Samnee, Klaus Janson, and Mike Hawthorne.

In the aftermath of DEVIL’S REIGN, everything it has ever meant to be Daredevil has changed. Thanks to Elektra and her newfound role as the Woman Without Fear, Daredevil is more ambitious than EVER. With a who’s-who of creators from across the fabled character’s history (and some can’t-miss surprises along the way), this oversized epic will kick off the next year of Chip Zdarsky and Marco Checchetto’s landmark run on DAREDEVIL off in explosive style!

“It’s not often that a comic gets to issue two these days , so … oh wait, it’s issue 650?! Well in that case I’m over the moon that we get to celebrate with so many legendary Daredevil creators!” Zdarsky said. “Daredevil is a title that has had so many amazing runs that it wouldn’t feel right to have an anniversary issue without inviting the people who made the book so special for so many years.”

DOCTOR DOOM: BOOK OF DOOM OMNIBUS HC

Story: Stan Lee, more | Art: Jack Kirby, more | Cover: Greg Land | Teen+ | $125.00

Collects Fantastic Four (1961) #5-6, #39-40, #246-247, #258, #278-279, #350 And #352; Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #5; Marvel Super-Heroes (1967) #20; Giant-Size Super-Villain Team-Up #1-2; Super-Villain Team-Up #13-14; Champions (1975) #16; Amazing Spider-Man Annual (1964) #14; Uncanny X-Men (1981) #145-147; Iron Man (1968) #149-150; Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #10-12; Marvel Graphic Novel: Emperor Doom; Marvel Graphic Novel: Doctor Strange And Doctor Doom  — Triumph And Torment; Fantastic Four (1998) #67-70 and #500; Fantastic Four Special and Books of Doom #1-6. Plus material from Fantastic Four (1961) #236, #358 and Annual #2; Astonishing Tales (1970) #1-3 and #6-8 and Marvel Double-Shot #2.

• I. Want. This.
  • Yes, I've read all these stories. But I haven't read them together.

EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #2 (OF 5)

Story: Dan Slott, Ramzee, Mallory Rosenthal, & Chris Giarrusso | Art: Ig Guara, Ruairí Coleman, Paco Medina, & Chris Giarrusso | Covers: Josemaria Casanovas, Ernanda Souza, Zoe Thorogood

The future of the Spider-Verse is here! Beginning on August 3, fans will see the SPIDER-VERSE expand like never before in EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE, a new limited series that will introduce brand-new Spider-Heroes including Spider-UK and check in with iconic favorites such as Ghost-Spider. The series will contain a range of stories from longtime Spidey creators and rising stars, each with bold additions to the Spider-Man mythos. Amidst these thrilling debuts and fresh status quos, Spider-Man visionary Dan Slott will be laying the groundwork for SPIDER-MAN #1, an all-new ongoing series launching later this year. Featuring artwork by Mark Bagley, SPIDER-MAN will begin with the end of the Spider-Verse as fans know it…

Here's what fans can expect from the second issue in this exciting saga:

• Writer Ramzee and artist Ruairí Coleman bring you the first adventure of the new SPIDER-UK! Check out her look, designed by artist Zoe Thorogood, in a special design variant cover!
  • Mastermind writer Dan Slott and artist Paco Medina present a pivotal chapter in the Spider-Verse epic with the return of SHATHRA, the mysterious Spider-Wasp who hails from the astral plane!
  • Writer Mallory Rosenthal and artist Ig Guara pit Ghost-Spider against Mysterio in a breathtaking battle!
  • Iconic artist Chris Giarrusso brings together some of your favorite Spider-Heroes in a brand-new Mini-Marvels strip!

FANTASTIC FOUR EPIC COLLECTION: NEW FANTASTIC FOUR TP NEW PTG

FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #3 (OF 5)

Story: Christos Gage & Donald Mustard | Art: Sergio Dávila | Covers: Leinil Francis Yu & Sunny Ghoo, Derrick Chew, Frank Cho, Peach Momoko, Carlos Pacheco & Rafael Fonteriz & Jesus Aburtov, Ron Lim & Israel Silva

Fortnite and Marvel heroes are currently fighting alongside each other to save both their universes from total annihilation in the pages of FORTNITE X ZERO WAR, a new limited comic series written by Christos Gage and Epic Games’ Chief Creative Officer Donald Mustard and drawn by artist Sergio Davíla. Fans who witnessed last month’s explosive debut issue and are gearing up for the second issue next week can now check out all six covers of FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #3, on sale August 17!

FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #3 will see the hunt for the Zero Shard continue into the Savage Land. Artists Francis Leinil Yu, Peach Momoko, and Ron Lim have brought the upcoming battle to life while artists Frank Cho and Carlos Pacheco depict exciting new Fortnite team ups with Storm, Hawkeye and more! Plus, Derrick Chew delivers a romantic piece of one of Marvel’s most iconic couples, Rogue and Gambit, who debuted on the Fortnite Island earlier this year!

The return of an unlikely ally brings Iron Man and The Foundation closer to their goal. Meanwhile, it’s an all-out brawl against Stegron and his dinosaur hybrids in the Savage Land as the hunt for the Zero Shard heats up! But Stegron’s not the only villain interested in the Zero Shard…

“There’ll be a few things you see in both the game and the comic — mostly in our final issue,” Gage explained to IGN in a recent interview. “But for the most part, what happens in the game and what happens in the comic are different fronts in the same war. Some questions that players might have about the game are answered in the comic, and vice versa, though neither are required to follow the story in the other.”

Each first print issue (physical copies only) of FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR contains a redeemable code to unlock a bonus digital cosmetic in Fortnite! Digital single-issue comic book purchases of FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR do not include any redeemable codes for Fortnite in-game bonus rewards.

Here are the in-game items Marvel and Fortnite fans can look forward to unlocking in the coming months:

• FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #3 – Adamantium Claws Pickaxe - Exclusive to comic buyers for a limited time!
  • FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #4 – New FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR Spray - Exclusive to comic buyers!
  • FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #5 – New FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR Loading Screen - Exclusive to comic buyers!
  • Plus any fan who redeems all five codes (physical copies only) will receive a new bonus FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR Outfit!

HULK #8

Story: Donny Cates | Art: Martin Coccolo | Cover: Gary Frank

• “Banner of War” Part Five, long delayed.

IRON CAT #3 (OF 5)

MARVEL-VERSE MS MARVEL TP

MMW CAPTAIN AMERICA VOL 14 HC

MS. MARVEL & MOON KNIGHT #1

Story: Jody Houser | Art: Ibraim Roberson | Covers: Sara Pichelli, Peach Momoko

Then, the Fist of Khonshu meets the embiggened fist of Ms. Marvel in MS. MARVEL & MOON KNIGHT #1! Moon Knight protects the travelers of night … but what about those traveling to bring him death? A mechanical (and maniacal!) threat brings Ms. Marvel into Moon Knight’s orbit, and the gravity of what they uncover will require them to plumb the depths of life and death!

• Ms. Marvel demonstrates in every appearance how Reed Richards under-utilizes his super-power. Isn't he supposed to be, like, smarter than a teenager from New Jersey?

NEW MUTANTS #28

SAVAGE AVENGERS #4

STAR WARS #26

STAR WARS: MANDALORIAN #2

STRANGE #5

ULTRAMAN: THE MYSTERY OF ULTRASEVEN #1 (OF 5)

Story: Kyle Higgins & Mat Groom | Art: Davide Tinto, David Lopez & Gurihiru | Cover: E.J. Su

Following the two acclaimed limited series THE RISE OF ULTRAMAN and THE TRIALS OF ULTRAMAN comes a brand-new chapter in Ultraman’s Marvel Comics adventures — ULTRAMAN: THE MYSTERY OF ULTRASEVEN! This latest installment brought together by the landmark collaboration between Marvel Comics and Tsuburaya Productions will once again feature the amazing storytelling skills of writing duo Kyle Higgins and Mat Groom. Joined by rising star artist Davide Tinto, the pair will continue to dive deep into the secrets behind the pop culture icon’s fascinating mythology in an adventure that will thrill longtime fans of the global phenomenon and welcome Ultraman newcomers! In addition, the double-sized debut issue will include an additional story spotlighting the history of Ultra Q and more instructional Kaiju Steps by Gurihiru!

Giant Kaiju roam. A sinister conspiracy consolidates power. And there’s nobody left to stop it — because Ultraman is GONE! How did the situation go so wrong …? And how can the United Science Patrol claw their way back from the brink? The answers lie in the appearance of an enigmatic new Ultra, and a secret that has remained hidden for decades. From distant stars to lost dimensions, untangling this twisted web will require Shin Hayata to go farther and fight harder than ever before!

"Kyle and I's reimagination of this universe started with a long-term masterplan — which is why we featured Dan Moroboshi's mysterious disappearance in the very first pages of THE RISE OF ULTRAMAN," said Mat Groom. "It's so exciting to have reached the stage where we can now pull back the curtain on that mystery ... and its world-shaking implications!"

X-FORCE #30

X-MEN #13

Story: Gerry Duggan | Art: C.F. Villa | Colors: Matt Milla | Covers: Martin Coccolo, Pepe Larraz, Russell Dauterman

X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA #1 laid the groundwork for the next era of X-Men storytelling! Written by Gerry Duggan and drawn by Kris Anka, Russell Dauterman, Matteo Lolli and C.F. Villa, the giant-sized one-shot was packed with surprises including a vicious attack by former X-Men ally Moira MacTaggert and the world’s devastating response to mutant resurrection, two exciting developments that will lead directly into the upcoming crossover event, A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY! But amidst the drama also came the long-awaited reveal of the new X-Men lineup!

The winner of the second annual X-Men Vote, which garnered a passionate wave of votes from fans earlier this year, was Firestar! The fiery superhero hasn’t always had the best relationship with her fellow mutants and is sure to shake things up as Gerry Duggan’s X-MEN title enters its second year. Also joining the roster alongside remaining members Cyclops, Jean Grey and Synch will be Iceman, Havok, Forge and Magik. With the Eternals waging war against mutantkind, the new lineup will jump right into action in next month’s X-MEN #13, an A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY tie-in issue. Featuring a grand-scale battle against the Hex, newly-awakened and mega-powerful Eternals, X-MEN #13 will be drawn by artist C.F. Villa (Black Cat) who comes aboard as the series’ new rotating main artist alongside fellow superstar Joshua Cassara (X-Force).

“Firestar didn't see the X-Men coming but I'm thrilled that she's here because commencing with X-Men: Hellfire Gala # 1 and moving on, her story is exactly what the X-Men will need this year,” Duggan said about Firestar’s victory. “If your favorite didn't win — don't despair. Every character mentioned is a page from the handbook on the way up. Hope you enjoy year two. Viva Krakoa!”

• Judgment Day-related.

X-MEN '92: HOUSE OF XCII #4

X-MEN UNLIMITED: X-MEN GREEN #1 (OF 2)

Story: Gerry Duggan | Art/Cover: Emilio Laiso | Teen | $5.99

When Nature Girl breaks the laws of Krakoa and takes a life, it’s up to Wolverine to track down his former student and take her down. … But the young mutant is tired of standing by while humanity destroys her home. Can even Logan quell her fury? Find out as a good girl breaks bad to save the planet!

• Originally a digital-only release, this story has been referenced obliquely numerous times in the analog X-books. Evidently things are not going to turn out well for Nature Girl.

MORE COMICS

9 CIRCLES #2

BARBARIC: AXE TO GRIND #1

• Another series about Owen the Barbarian and his bloodthirsty, talking axe.

BECOMING FRANKENSTEIN #1

Story: Mel Smith, Paul H. Birch | Art/Cover: Frank Cirocco | 10 Ton Press | $3.99

Have you heard the story about the genius scientist who sought to bring the dead back to life? A shy young lad bullied too; his complex childhood culminating in a brilliant yet distraught mind. Saved too late from such nightmares and fueled by darkness, grave deeds would be committed on his behalf, ones he chose not to escape, becoming and even more daring in his arrogance. Becoming Frankenstein was not easy, and it's even worse for those who stood in his path. Herein lies the stories of those who suffered and died, with their corpses dissected to help make Victor Frankenstein's dream come true.

• I didn't think Victor needed an origin. I guess I thinked wrong.

BROTHER OF ALL MEN #2

CHILLING ADVENTURES PRESENTS: JINX’S GRIM FAIRY TALES ONE-SHOT

Story: Magdalene Visaggio, James III, Joe Corallo | Art: Craig Cermak, Evan Stanley, Eva Cabrera | Colors: Matt Herms | Letters: Jack Morelli | Covers: Vic Malhotra, Francesco Francavilla | Archie | 32 pages | $3.99

Teen Jinx Holliday is Riverdale’s go-to babysitter. The (often unruly) kids that she watches over always change, seemingly for the better. The key to her success? Her book of unique fairy tales, all of which tell a moralistic story — usually grim, gruesome ones that frighten the children with Jinx as the star of each and every one. What sinister, I mean, serious lessons will she teach her wards?

Archie Comics is kickstarting Halloween early with the August release of CHILLING ADVENTURES PRESENTS ... JINX’S GRIM FAIRY TALES. The one-shot anthology features a trio of stories hosted by a grown-up version of the classic Archie character Jinx Holliday, better known as Li'l Jinx, and it leads a full season of new horror releases to be announced in coming weeks.

The issue opens with a framing story by Magdalene Visaggio (Eternity Girl) and Craig Cermak (Red Team) in which babysitter Jinx keeps her unruly charges in line by sharing some especially grim moralistic fairy tales. Visaggio and Cermak also tell one of those sinister stories, "The True Story of Cantanella." Li'l Jinx first appeared in Pep Comics #62 by Joe Edwards back in 1946. She earned her nickname by being born on Halloween and kept up an appropriately mischievous spirit in a decades-long comics run.

Archie Comics Senior Director of Editorial Jamie L. Rotante said, "Jinx is a character we've been wanting to explore more and we're so excited we finally get the chance to ... and what better way than having her as the cool babysitter who scares kids with creepy stories? I mean, her name is JINX, how perfect is that? We were so happy we were able to blend the framework of spooky fairy tales and Jinx as our eager narrator and protagonist.”

Writer/actor James III (Netflix's Astronomy Club) and Eva Cabrera (Betty & Veronica: Vixens) contribute "Suzie & the Monkey's Paw" to the anthology, which is rounded out by "Will the Real Sorcerer Please Stand Up?" by Joe Corallo (She Said Destroy) and Evan Stanley (Cosmo the Mighty Martian).

“Archie is such a wild universe," James III said. "They have the most wholesome comics under the sun as well as some of the most gruesome horror imaginable. There’s a darkness, a shadow hovering over my story.”

The comic comes from the esteemed mature readers imprint, Archie Horror, which has launched several groundbreaking series including AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE and CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA. The imprint brings exciting, truly horrific tales to adult fans of the genre, with interpretive stylistic artwork by some of the comics industry's best talents.

"Like a lot of comics readers, the Archie Horror renaissance got me excited about Archie all over again," Corallo said. "And getting to write an Archie Horror story is an opportunity I didn't take lightly. I pored over Golden Age Archie stories, more recent adventures, and episodes of Archie's Weird Mysteries to help me craft the best story I could."

• More lovely quasi-horror from Archie!

CRASH & TROY #1 (OF 4)

Story: Jarred Lujan | Art/Cover: Kyler Clodfelter | A Wave Blue World | $3.99

Intergalactic mercenaries Rex "Crash" Ballard and Troy 3.0 find themselves in hot water after a prison break on Wexia-1 sets free the dictator of Wexia-2. Now they must clean up their mess or find themselves locked up. This means working with Chief Fiona Alvarez of the Earth Defense Forces to recapture Supreme Leader Jongil and stop interplanetary war. No sweat for two pros like Crash & Troy!

CRIMSON STORM #1

Story: Brandon McKinney | Art/Cover: Brandon McKinney | 10 Ton Press | $3.99

Meet Crimson Storm, aka Dawn McGregor), a government sponsored Superheroine with explosive powers and a troubled past. Can she walk the line between saving citizens and getting chewed up by D.C. politics in the late 1990's? Created, written, and drawn by Brandon McKinney (Elfquest, Bruce Lee, Harley Quinn animated series).

• I'm sure that cover is an homage to something from Marvel in the '80s. Maybe more than one something.

DISTURBED DARK MESSIAH #4 (OF 5)

ENTROPY #1 (OF 6)

Story: Christopher Priest | Art: Montos | Heavy Metal | $4.99

Heavy Metal's event series Entropy arrives from Black Panther and Justice League writer Christopher Priest and rising star artist Montos with covers by Bjorn Barends (King Spawn)! Breaking Bad meets Green Lantern in the origin story of Heavy Metal's ultimate supervillain! Henry Hanks had a good life, until he betrayed KAKO, the living embodiment of chaos and misery! With his whole world destroyed, Henry is killed and reborn as the newest herald of Kako, with the power to destroy entire worlds in his master's name. All issues of Entropy will have a special Breaking Bad homage incentive cover by special artist Antonio Fuso!

• Ooh, Christopher Priest! He never disappoints.

GINSENG ROOTS #10

HEART EYES #1

Story: Dennis Hopeless | Art/Cover: Victor Ibanez | Vault | $4.99

Sanity-eating monsters ended humanity. The unlucky few who survived now hide in the cracks of a broken world. And yet somehow, beneath the graveyard that used to be San Antonio, Rico met Lupe, the girl of his dreams. But how did she get here? And why is she smiling? No one survives out in the street. No one smiles where the monsters lurk.

JIMMY’S LITTLE BASTARDS #1

Story: Garth Ennis |Art: Russell Braun | Cover: Andy Clarke | Aftershock | $7.99

A new generation of Bastards is back and bolder than ever! A special 3-issue oversized prestige format mini-series from Jimmy's creators GARTH ENNIS and RUSS BRAUN!

After the shattering events of his last adventure, Jimmy is on extended leave from British Intelligence-sliding slowly into middle age, with carpet slippers, tragic sweater and cup of cocoa to match. The formerly sexist superspy is even reevaluating his attitude to women! His daughter (Don't say it! Don't you dare say it!) Nancy is taking up the slack in fine style, cutting a bloody swathe through the Regent rogues' gallery. But a mysterious message starts Jimmy looking into his family's murky past ... where he finds a clue to a strange and deadly new danger. JIMMY'S LITTLE BASTARDS #1, by Garth Ennis and Russ Braun.

Written by Garth Ennis (A WALK THROUGH HELL, The Boys, Preacher) and illustrated by Russ Braun (Batman, Swamp Thing, Where Monsters Dwell), JIMMY'S LITTLE BASTARDS returns to a familiar world with a new spin.

• I assume this is Garth Ennis' idea of an aging James Bond. Which should be fun.

JUSTICE WARRIORS #3

KINGDOM COME DELIVERANCE #1

Story: Brett Murphy | Art: Wilson Gandolpho | Cover: Niko Walter | Behemoth | $3.99

Since the capture of King Wenceslaus IV by his half brother, King Sigismund, the Kingdom of Bohemia is in disarray. The once peaceful Kingdom is now filled with screams of terror as King Sigismund and his army, full of Cuman mercenaries, slaughter those who oppose him. Sigismund is aided by Istvan Toth and his bandit army, as they are able to raid the recently destroyed villages for silver and weapons while also bringing fear to Wenceslaus loyalists. Find out what happened in the events leading to the hit video game Kingdom Come: Deliverance, in the upcoming comic series, Kingdom Come: Deliverance "Death Upon Us".

•  “Good King Sourkraut looked out on his feets uneven ...”

KNIGHTS OF THE FIFTH DIMENSION #2 (OF 4)

LIFE AND DEATH OF THE BRAVE CAPTAIN SUAVE #1

Story: Joseph Sieracki | Art: Kelly Williams | Scout | $4.99

In this action-packed debut issue, we are introduced to the madness and heroism that is Captain Suave! A champion beyond measure, Captain Suave's journey follows a modern-day retelling of Cervantes's classic, Don Quixote, only this hero is convinced that he is a Golden Age superhero. Ready yourself for an adventure that must be seen to be believed, as Captain Suave and his trusty sidekick, Champ, battle the imaginary forces of evil in Cleveland, Ohio!

MAN GOAT & BUNNYMAN: GREEN EGGS & BLAM #2

NEWTHINK #3 (OF 5)

POTIONS INC #3

PROMETHEE 1313 #2

QUESTS ASIDE #4

SHERLOCK: A SCANDAL IN BELGRAVIA PART 2 #1

• Holmes drawn in a manga style.

SUPERBABES STARRING FEMFORCE #11

TODDLER POCALYPSE GN

TRISKELE #3

WE RIDE TITANS #5

WHERE STARSHIPS GO TO DIE #3

GRAPHIC NOVELS

ALICE GUY: FIRST LADY OF FILM GN

Story: Jose-Luis Bocquet | Art: Catel Muller | SelfMadeHero | $23.99

In 1895 the Lumière brothers invented the cinematograph. Less than a year later, 23-year-old Alice Guy, the first female filmmaker in cinema history, made The Cabbage Fairy, a 60-second movie, for Léon Gaumont, and would go on to direct more than 300 films before 1922. Her life is a shadow history of early cinema, the chronicle of an art form coming into its own. A free and independent woman who rubbed shoulders with masters such as Georges Méliès and the Lumières, she was the first to define the professions of screenwriter and producer. She directed the first feminist satire, then the first sword-and-sandal epic, before crossing the Atlantic in 1907 to the United States and becoming the first woman to found her own production company. Guy died in 1969, excluded from the annals of film history.

• Looks like an eat-your-vegetables graphic novel, but we should learn about women and minority stories that have been glossed over in white-guy history.

BEST WE COULD DO ILLUSTRATED MEMOIR SC (NEW PTG)

Story/Art: Thi Bui | Abrams ComicArts | $19.99

Exploring the anguish of immigration and the lasting effects that displacement has on a child and her family, Thi Bui documents the story of her family's daring escape after the fall of South Vietnam in the 1970s, and the difficulties they faced building new lives for themselves. At the heart of Bui's story is a universal struggle: While adjusting to life as a first-time mother, she ultimately discovers what it means to be a parent — the endless sacrifices, the unnoticed gestures, and the depths of unspoken love. Despite how impossible it seems to take on the simultaneous roles of both parent and child, Bui pushes through. With haunting, poetic writing and breathtaking art, she examines the strength of family, the importance of identity, and the meaning of home.

• I was really into the first five or six "immigrant/assimilation experience" graphic novels I read. But it's kind of old hat to me now.

BORIS POTATO CHILD HC

Story/Art: Anne Simon | Fantagraphics | $29.99

In her latest graphic novel, French artist and illustrator Anne Simon returns to her visually and allegorically rich fantasyland. Boris, the round-headed child, reigns like a despot in the little house he lives in with his mother. His mother, Bulle, formerly known as Aglaia, was once the all-powerful queen of the country Marylene. Since Marylene's fall, residents have lived in peace thanks to a self-governing system they have adopted. But when Boris meets Sabine, a warrior French fry thirsty for revenge, nothing will ever be the same. ... The final book in Anne Simon's "Tales of Marylene '' graphic novel trilogy (after The Song of Aglaia and Empress Cixtisis), Boris the Potato Child delivers a bitter critique of our consumerist impulses and abuses. Mixing literature and pop culture (such as mashing Simone de Beauvoir with the Beatles), Simon has created in Marylene a world as abundant in visual imagination as Oz or Narnia, but crafted with a Swiftian pen that's mightier than any man's sword. Anne Simon lives in Paris and studied art in the internationally renowned comics city of Angouleme, France.

• What th--?

DUNE BOOK 2: MUAD’DIB GN

• Pretty sure I got the first one, so I'll get this one (and the third, when it arrives). Sure beats re-reading those massive prose tomes to prep for the movies!

GORE SHRIEK DELECTUS HC GN

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Brian LeBlanc | Fantaco | $65.00

Gore Shriek returns with a massive all new 128-page limited edition hardcover!!

Brand new cover painting by fan favorite Brian LeBlanc.  128 pages of brand new tales that will terrify, bewilder and disturb you!!

• This was listed in the books section at Diamond, but it seems more at home here.
  • Gore Shriek was a "splatterpunk" horror anthology in the 1980s that ran 13 issues, which I did not collect. It appears to have been resurrected by an outfit named Rough House Publishing.

JUDGE DREDD CITADEL TP

MELÄG: TOWN OF FABLES

Story/Art: Bong Redila | Fantagraphics | $24.99

A haunting, nostalgic collection of short comics that is at once an homage to childhood and a simple wish that tomorrow everything will be fine.

Welcome to Meläg, an eerily fantastic town located somewhere between dreamland and the real world of Bong Redila's childhood hometown in the Philippines and where love, joy, and heartbreak hold hands. Travel on a train with singing, blob-like beings, spy a shack that floats above the treetops because of a "borrowed" magical broomstick, romp with futuristic creatures on a playdate, roam a carnival with two goofy boys, dance the father-daughter dance at a wedding with a robot, and cry with two lost souls who come together as friends in the rain.

Originally published in the Philippines, where it is an award-winning bestseller, Meläg: Town of Fables marks the English language debut of Filipino American illustrator and author B. Redila. Drawn in a spidery, cross-hatched pen-and-ink style reminiscent of Edward Gorey, this charming collection will transport readers of all ages.

• Mit umlaut! File this on your bookshelf next to Trese.

NINE STONES VOL 1 TP

ONE BEAUTIFUL SPRING DAY TP

Story/Art: Jim Woodring | Fantagraphics | $49.99

Jim Woodring has been chronicling the adventures of his cartoon Everyman for almost 30 years. These stories are a singular rarity in the comics form — both bone-chillingly physical in their depictions of Frank's travails but profoundly metaphysical at the same time. Not since George Herriman's Krazy Kat has the comics language been so exquisitely distilled into pure, revelatory aesthetic expression.

• I've read the description three times and still don't know what this is about, or whether or not I'd like it.

RICK AND MORTY PRESENTS VOL 4 TP

SAVE IT FOR LATER: PROMISES, PARENTHOOD AND THE URGENCY OF PROTEST GN

Story/Art: Nate Powell | Abrams ComicArts | $18.99

In this anthology of seven comics essays, author and graphic novelist Nate Powell addresses living in an era of what he calls "necessary protest." Save It for Later is Powell's reflection on witnessing the collapse of discourse in real time while drawing the award-winning trilogy March, written by Congressman John Lewis and Andrew Aydin, this generation's preeminent historical account of nonviolent revolution in the Civil Rights movement. Powell highlights both the danger of normalized paramilitary presence symbols in consumer pop culture, and the roles we play individually as we interact with our communities, families, and society at large.

• More vegetables. Looks painfully earnest.

THE SIMPSONS’ TREEHOUSE OF HORROR OMINOUS OMNIBUS VOL 1

Story/Art: Various | Abrams ComicArts | $39.99

The Treehouse of Horror started as an annual Halloween tradition on The Simpsons, beginning during the second season in 1990. In fall 1995, the first of 23 comics were produced by Bongo, telling new stories written and illustrated by some of the biggest names in comics, including Michael Allred (Madman), Sergio Aragonés (MAD magazine), Kyle Baker (Nat Turner), Jeffrey Brown (Star Wars: Darth Vader and Son), and Jill Thompson (Scary Godmother), as well as celebrities such as Mark Hamill, Thomas Lennon, and Patton Oswalt. Collected for the first time in a deluxe hardcover slipcase with an all-new die-cut cover that glows in the dark, these award-winning comics place the world's most beloved animated family in exciting horror, science-fiction, and supernatural settings, making this series the perfect gift for the Halloween season and Simpsons fans of all ages. The volume also includes an introduction from Bart Simpson.

• Back when I was reading Bongo Comics, the "Treehouse" issues were always head and shoulders above the monthly fare. I'm really tempted to buy this, despite Simpsons Fatigue.

TIKI: A VERY RUFF YEAR TP

Story: David Azencot | Art: Fred Leclerc | Humanoids Inc | $22.99

In the midst of a quarantine, Fred buys Tiki, a puppy, to help bring a little joy to his family's life in isolation. What no one anticipated is that Tiki would turn their lives completely upside-down.

During the pandemic, Fred, his girlfriend Sophie, and his daughter Lou seek a little comfort in the shape of a Shiba puppy named Tiki. But in the course of a single week, the adorable little furball manages to shatter everything in Fred's life: the comfort, the certainties, the links, the balances. In doing so, however, she manages to bring to light what truly matters: family.

Alternately humorous and tragic, this fictionalized autobiographical story questions that moment we decide to adopt a pet and the beautiful mess that we're often left with.

• I usually like dog stories, but that description is kinda off-putting. Is Tiki ... not a good boy?

WALT DISNEY UNCLE SCROOGE HC VOL 26 GOLDEN NUGGET BOAT

Story/Art: Carl Barks | Fantagraphics | $35.00

This volume of the world-famous Duck comics introduces Magica De Spell, Scrooge's sorceress nemesis! Plus adventures in the frozen North and on a rogue planet headed straight for Earth. Uncle Scrooge laughed when the mysterious woman offered him one dollar for one of his dimes. But she might just have the last laugh because the dime he accidentally sold her was his lucky Number One Dime — the first dime he ever earned! — and now she's about to melt it down for one of her strange spells! Then Uncle Scrooge gets wind of a big gold-prospecting contest in Alaska, and he ropes Donald and the boys into helping him prove he's just as good a prospector now as he was back when he was making his fortune. But the infuriatingly lucky Gladstone Gander decides he's going to enter the contest, too — and Gladstone never loses! And when a mysterious new planet suddenly appears in the sky on a collision course with Earth, Scrooge, Donald, and the boys are whisked there — only to discover it's filled with gold and inhabited by the ancient Norse gods! But to prevent the imminent collision, Scrooge must find a way to turn all that gold into iron — or both planets will be destroyed! Plus: the oddball inventions of the ever-eccentric Gyro Gearloose!

Carl Barks delivers another wildly imaginative collection of outrageous adventures, laugh-out-loud comedy, and all-around comic book brilliance. Each page is meticulously restored and newly colored, with insightful story notes by an international panel of Barks experts.

• Yay, the penultimate (by volume number) book is here! Now we just need Vol. 27 ... and the first four.

WE PROMISED UTOPIA VOL 1 TP

Story: Adrian Morales, Robert Holman, Charles J Martin | Art: John Eric Osborn, Chloe Elimam, Jonathan Koelsch | Cover: Bombs Away Art | Literati Prss | $15.99

What if humanity saved the world today ... only to destroy it tomorrow? We Promised Utopia is a sci-fi epic that spans three separate eras, starting with the modern struggle to respond to climate change and inequality; then a utopian future where rising corruption threatens to undo society's hard-won harmony; and, finally, a bleak far-future ice age, in which society has collapsed into small bands of humans struggling to survive. Though separated by thousands of years, the characters will be critical in the rise, fall, and hopeful resurgence of a perfect world.

• "What if humanity saved the world today ... only to destroy it tomorrow?" That's kind of our thing, sadly.

WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #122

YUKI VS PANDA VOL 2 TP

OTHER

BACK ISSUE #137

Story/Art: Various | TwoMorrows | $10.95

1980s Pre-Crisis DC Miniseries! Green Arrow, Secrets of the Legion, Tales of the Green Lantern Corps, Krypton Chronicles, America vs. the Justice Society, Legend of Wonder Woman, Conqueror of the Barren Earth and more! Featuring Mike W. Barr, Kurt Busiek, Paul Kupperberg, Ron Randall, Trina Robbins, Joe Staton, Curt Swan, Roy Thomas, and other creators. Re-presenting the Green Arrow #1 cover by Trevor Von Eeden and Dick Giordano. Edited by Michael Eury.  

• I remember this cover very clearly. It's visual evidence of my thesis that archer characters without serious protection from guns shouldn't survive more than 10 minutes.  Yes, he's shooting a bunch of arrows really fast! They're traveling at roughly 250 feet per second! Good on ya, mate! But the guns have already fired, and the bullets are traveling at roughly 2,000 feet per second. Bye bye, Ollie.

MAN WHO LEAPT THROUGH FILM ART OF MAMORU HOSODA HC

Story: Charles Solomon | Art: Mamoru Hosoda | Abrams ComicArts | $40.00

Journey into the mind and creative process of one of the most celebrated anime directors working today with The Man Who Leapt Through Film: The Art of Mamoru Hosoda. Written by renowned animation critic and historian Charles Solomon (The Art of WolfWalkers) and featuring exclusive interviews alongside hundreds of never-before-seen sketches, storyboards, background paintings, character designs, and concept art, this is the ultimate companion piece to Hosoda's work.

• This is for the benefit of people like me, I presume, who are grossly ignorant of manga.

MORE MANGA

BAKEMONOGATARI GN VOL 15

BREASTS ARE MY FAVORITE THINGS IN WORLD GN VOL 05

CASE CLOSED GN VOL 83

CHAINED SOLDIER GN VOL 01

DEAD DEMONS DEDEDEDE DESTRUCTION GN VOL 11

DONT TOY WITH ME MISS NAGATORO GN VOL 11

FIRE FORCE GN VOL 28

FOX & LITTLE TANUKI GN VOL 05

HINAMATSURI GN VOL 16

JUJUTSU KAISEN GN VOL 17

LEVIUS EST GN VOL 10

MY DRESS UP DARLING GN VOL 06

NEW YORK NEW YORK GN VOL 02

PRINCESS KNIGHT NEW OMNIBUS GN

ROOSTER FIGHTER GN VOL 01

TEASING MASTER TAKAGI SAN GN VOL 15

TO SAVE WORLD WAKE MORNING AFTER DEMI HUMAN GN VOL 05

TOILET BOUND HANAKO KUN GN VOL 15

ULTRAMAN GN VOL 17

WAY OF THE HOUSEHUSBAND GN VOL 08

WELCOME BACK ALICE GN VOL 03

ZOM 100 BUCKET LIST OF THE DEAD GN VOL 07

MORE KIDS

DEWDROP TP

LOONICORNS GN

MY LIFE BEYOND VACCINES GN

PEACH AND PLUM HERE WE COME GN IN RHYME

THIS IS A TACO SC

TRISTAN STRONG PUNCHES HOLE IN SKY GN

WHO WAS DARING PIONEER OF SKIES AMELIA EARHART GNv

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ultraseven is now published by Marvel, then. I wonder if it is licensed or an in-house IP.

• "What's your take on [Cyberforce], Legionnaires?"

This is my take: "I'm sure I sampled Cyberforce back in the '90s with the rest of the Image premieres, and since I didn't collect it, probably didn't like it."

"And should I get this book for historical value, or ignore it?"

And what "historical" "value" would that be?

"Definitely skipping [The Last Shadowhawk], like I did the original series in the '90s.

I bought my "last Shadowhawk" a long time ago. 

I think you'd like Fire Power, though. Start with either the OGN or the first tpb.

"I. Want. This."

This kind of collection is cool (and I do own some of them), but I'm out of shelf space. I won't buy something to put in a box. For every omnibus I buy, something else has to come off the shelf. I didn't pre-order this, but now you've got me second-guessing myself. Caaaaaappp!!

"I'm sure that cover [Crimson Storm #1] is an homage to something from Marvel in the '80s."

Not the '80s but reminds me of...58339410192.1.gif?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Crimson Storm's cover reminds me a bit of New Mutants #1, mainly because Cannonball has a similar visual aura.

https://www.comics.org/issue/37236/?

For a moment I thought it could be a homage to Comet Man as well. I guess it is somewhat like #6's cover, but that is pushing things.

• Is Cyber Force a super-hero team?  Should they be on the lit?

• Or "list", as some people say?

The Baron said:

Is Cyber Force a super-hero team?  Should they be on the lit?

• BACK ISSUE #137

I remember this cover very clearly. It's visual evidence of my thesis that archer characters without serious protection from guns shouldn't survive more than 10 minutes. Yes, he's shooting a bunch of arrows really fast! They're traveling at roughly 250 feet per second! Good on ya, mate! But the guns have already fired, and the bullets are traveling at roughly 2,000 feet per second. Bye bye, Ollie.

......except that they all trained at the Empire Strom Troopers marksmanship academy.

• I remember this cover very clearly. It's visual evidence of my thesis that archer characters without serious protection from guns shouldn't survive more than 10 minutes.  Yes, he's shooting a bunch of arrows really fast! They're traveling at roughly 250 feet per second! Good on ya, mate! But the guns have already fired, and the bullets are traveling at roughly 2,000 feet per second. Bye bye, Ollie.

As I probably have said before, to my mind, the vast majority of characters that are essentially mundanes in Halloween costumes would be dead within a year.

• Marvel had two Golden Age masked mundanes in sequential issues of Mystic that had “Phantom” in their name and only appeared once. Phantom Reporter was resurrected for “The Twelve” where his disappearance was explained that he was fighting in Europe. The Phantom Bullet, I was almost pleased to discover in “The Marvel Project,” was revealed to have been killed shortly after his debut. Because yeah, that would happen.

• You’d think as a result it would be harder for them to get henchjobs. 

Richard Willis said:

BACK ISSUE #137

I remember this cover very clearly. It's visual evidence of my thesis that archer characters without serious protection from guns shouldn't survive more than 10 minutes. Yes, he's shooting a bunch of arrows really fast! They're traveling at roughly 250 feet per second! Good on ya, mate! But the guns have already fired, and the bullets are traveling at roughly 2,000 feet per second. Bye bye, Ollie.

......except that they all trained at the Empire Strom Troopers marksmanship academy.

• Wikipedia calls them a team. Yeah, I had to look it up.

The Baron said:

Is Cyber Force a super-hero team?  Should they be on the lit?

This reply was deleted.