BOOM! STUDIOS

ANGEL #1

Script: Christopher Cantwell | Art: Daniel Bayliss | Cover: Nimit Malavia | $4.99

BOOM! Studios reveals a first look at ANGEL #1, the premiere issue of a brand new eight-issue comic book series. Producer and director of AMC’s Halt and Catch Fire and Eisner Award-nominated writer Christopher Cantwell (Iron Man, The United States of Captain America), artist Daniel Bayliss (WWE The New Day: The Power of Positivity, Labyrinth: Coronation), colorist Patricio Delpeche (Origins), and letterer Becca Carey (Wonder Woman) shine the spotlight on everyone’s favorite vampire with a soul in the role of a lifetime ... Detective Angel.

Welcome to Angel for Hire, starring Angel and his co-star — Cordelia! But wait, Angel isn’t just a celebrity? Nope, he leads a double life ... as a real monster hunter for Angel Investigations!

Sometimes, though, this double life can get his friends into trouble, and as Wesley recovers from a horrific curse, Angel stumbles into a series of supernatural events which lead to him getting sucked into an unexpected and mysterious world. He soon faces a terrifying enemy, who sees him as a threat.

CURSED PIRATE GIRL: DEVIL’S CAVE #1

Story/Art:  Jeremy Bastian | $9.99

BOOM! Studios today revealed a first look at CURSED PIRATE GIRL: THE DEVIL’S CAVE #1 , a special issue that marks creator and acclaimed illustrator Jeremy Bastian’s return to his beloved cult hit series in this self-contained issue that reveals the next chapter of Cursed Pirate Girl, available in January 2022

In the long awaited continuation of Cursed Pirate Girl, her loyal companion Pepper Dice reveals that there’s still time to bring back her father, the Dread Pirate Captain Douglas! If she can escape the Sea King’s Palace with The Bright Star, will she be bold enough to enter The Devil’s Cave in the hope of bringing her father back? Or will the Devil Jonah and his minions stop her?

MAW #5

POWER RANGERS #15

REGARDING THE MATTER OF OSWALD’S BODY #3

SEVEN SECRETS #13

WE ONLY FIND THEM WHEN THEY’RE DEAD #10

DARK HORSE COMICS

BLACK HAMMER: VISIONS VOL 2 HC

CLOAKED #2

MINECRAFT VOL 3 TPB

DC COMICS

ABSOLUTE JACK KIRBY’S FOURTH WORLD 2 HC

AQUAMAN: THE BECOMING #5

BATMAN: THE KNIGHT #1

Story: Chip Zdarsky | Art: Carmine Di Giandomenico | Covers: Carmine Di Giandomenico, Greg Capullo | $4.99

The origin of Batman and his never-ending fight against crime in Gotham City is modern mythology, but what of the story in between? How did an angry, damaged young man grow into the most accomplished detective and crime-fighter the world has ever known? How did the Dark Knight…begin? Superstar writer Chip Zdarsky (Daredevil) and acclaimed artist Carmine Di Giandomenico (The Flash) will take Bruce Wayne on a fraught journey, making allies and enemies, on his training to become Batman in this definitive new series!

• First issue!
  • There's a rumor that Bruce's parents will be members of the Court of Owls in The Batman. If true, it'll be interesting to see if that carries over here.

BATMAN VS. BIGBY: A WOLF IN GOTHAM #3 (OF 5)

BLACK MANTA #5

BLUE & GOLD #5

CATWOMAN #39

DETECTIVE COMICS #1049

GREEN LANTERN #10

ICON & ROCKET SEASON ONE #5

LOONEY TUNES #264

NIGHTWING #88

Story: Tom Taylor | Art: Bruno Redondo | Covers: Bruno Redondo, Jamal Campbell | 32 pages | $3.99/$4.99 Variant (Card Stock)

The blue stripes are back! As seen on Brundo Redondo’s main and variant covers for the first issue of Nightwing in 2022, Nightwing gets an updated suit starting with Nightwing #88! Bruno just shared a teaser for fans saying “Those Things Are Back!” to call out the new blue stripes running all the way down to Nightwing’s fingertips.

In this issue, after the distressing events of rescuing Haley from getting dognapped by bad guys (in the one-continuous-image Nightwing #87), Nightwing discovers there are way more hits on Dick Grayson than he realized, thanks to going public about his fortune, and he needs to find a clever way to be Dick Grayson and Nightwing at the same time.

Meanwhile, Heartless tries to buy power away from Blockbuster in order to take control of Blüdhaven, and both of these big bads have Nightwing in their crosshairs.

NUBIA & THE AMAZONS #4

ROBINS #3

SUICIDE SQUAD: KING SHARK #5

SUPERGIRL: WOMAN OF TOMORROW #7

SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL EL #7

WONDER WOMAN #783

WONDER WOMAN: EVOLUTION #3

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

JAMES BOND HIMEROS #4

KISS: PHANTOM OBSESSION #5

PURGATORI #4

RED SONJA: BLACK WHITE RED #6

IDW PUBLISHING

CANTO III LIONHEARTED #5

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: MINDBREAKER #4

GI JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO VOL 25: UNTOLD TALES TPB

JUNKWRAITH GN

Story/Art: Ellinor Richey | Top Shelf | 13+ | 320 pages | $24.99

Sci-fi, skating and self-discovery: JUNKWRAITH is a gem!

“Forgetting things makes me feel so alone. Despite what people might think … I don’t want to be alone.”

What happens when our most precious belongings ... no longer belong?

When something we once loved suddenly becomes junk, a powerful energy is unleashed. One night, ice-skating prodigy Florence Sato is overwhelmed by pressure and throws away her skates. This fateful moment accidentally summons a “junkwraith,” a terrifying ghost which seeks revenge for its abandonment by attacking the memories of its former owner.

Before she forgets who she is, and to find out who she really wants to be, Florence must set off — with her trusty digital assistant Frank — on a long journey into the Wastelands to face the monster she created.

With icy-cool artwork and astonishing sci-fi settings, JUNKWRAITH is a stunning debut from Swedish graphic novelist Ellinor Richey … and an unforgettable story of reckoning with the past and facing the future.

“This fantastic adventure grows in intensity with each page, creating a unique world perfectly suited to Ellinor’s charming artwork.” — Enrique Fernandez, author of Aurore and Tales from the Age of the Cobra

MY LITTLE PONY/TRANSFORMERS: MAGIC OF CYBERTRON TPB

SCIENCE OF SURFING SURFSIDE GIRLS GUIDE TO THE OCEAN SC

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG VOL 9: CHAO RACES & BADNIK BASES TPB

STAR WARS ADVENTURES: WEAPON OF A JEDI GN

STAR WARS HIGH REPUBLIC ADVENTURES: GALACTIC BAKE-OFF ONE-SHOT

Story: Daniel Jose Older, Vita Ayala | Art: Toni Bruno, Jo Cheol-Hong | Cover: Jason Loo

Torban "Buckets of Blood" Buck and Kantam Sy face off in a brutal, intense, ruthless... bake-off!

Lightsabers and Jedi robes are put aside in favor of whisks and aprons as the two competitors bake Master Yoda's special pastry recipe. But the recipe requires one extra special ingredient: a story! "Buckets of Blood" and Kantam recount the tale of an epic battle as they whisk away, both hoping to win the prize of Padawan approval.

Daniel José Older and Vita Ayala team up in this heart-warming one-shot. Plus, bake Master Yoda's pastries yourself, with the recipe included in the back!

• First issue!
  • (I think somebody's been watching too many British baking shows.)

TMNT #125

TMNT REBORN VOL 3: TIME AFTER TIME TPB

TRANSFORMERS #39

TRANSFORMERS/BACK TO THE FUTURE TPB

TRANSFORMERS VOL 4: DECLARATION OF WAR HC

USAGI YOJIMBO #25

Story/Art: Stan Sakai | $3.99

Celebrate the new year with Usagi Yojimbo, the beloved epic fantasy by Stan Sakai and winner of two of this year’s Eisner Awards, including “Best Continuing Series”!

Usagi Yojimbo reaches the 25th issue of its full-color, monthly series at IDW with a new two-part storyline, “Crossroads.” In this tale, Usagi and Yukichi have left the Northern Province where Usagi was branded a criminal as a Lord Mifune loyalist. They come upon a group of pilgrims traveling to the local temples, set upon and left for dead by a band of cutthroat ronin with no regard for the law. In hunting after them, Usagi and Yukichi must head back to the very province from which they just escaped!

“Yukichi is Usagi's cousin, and someone with whom he will be traveling for a while,” says Sakai. “Yukichi is younger and less experienced so Usagi has to take on the role of mentor, though he learns a few things himself. I like the dynamics between these two and their travels make good springboards for new adventures.”

Written and illustrated by Sakai for more than 35 years, Usagi Yojimbo is set in a unique world based on 17th century Japan. A ronin, Miyamoto Usagi traverses this unique world — a landscape populated by ghosts, dinosaurs, monsters, and warriors of all kinds — honing his skills, saving villages, and often navigating delicate affairs of national/political significance.

Sakai’s deft weaving of history, folklore and Japanese culture into Usagi Yojimbo has made it a critical favorite, adored by comic readers. New full-color adventures of Sakai’s classic character began in 2019 with IDW’s monthly comic series, collected in three volumes so far (Bunraku and Other Stories, Homecoming and Tengu War!). Meanwhile, classic tales have been made available in full color for the first time ever as part of the "Usagi Yojimbo Origins" trade paperback series. This past June, Sakai and his wife, Julie Fujii Sakai, released Chibi-Usagi: Attack of the Heebie Chibis, an original graphic novel illustrated in a fun, cartoony style welcoming to young new readers.

“It’s been a real treat to see Stan’s new stories come to life month-to-month while also revisiting his early work in our color reprint series,” says editor Bobby Curnow. “What’s utterly remarkable is how engaging the world of Usagi Yojimbo has always been and still is. The humanity of Stan’s characters and stories always shines through with wit, action, and heart, regardless of the year.

IMAGE COMICS

ARROWSMITH: BEHIND ENEMY LINES #1

Story: Kurt Busiek | Art: Carlos Pacheco, Jose Rafael Fonteriz, Jose Villarrubia | Covers: Carlos Pacheco Fonteriz Villarubia, Johnson, Jones, Chaykin, Walta

Kurt Busiek, the bestselling writer of Avengers, Superman, Thunderbolts, Iron Man, JLA and more, is returning to Image in a big way in 2022, with new entries in fan-favorite series, including Astro City, Arrowsmith and others, plus new creations and more, as he brings his creator-owned work to Image Comics as his primary publisher.

“I’m thrilled to be back at Image and glad to be working with Eric Stephenson and the whole crew here," said Busiek. "Image is the best comics publisher for creator-owned work, so it’s very nice to be bringing my books together here, where they can be available as a group, supported by the team here — and sitting alongside such great series as Saga, The Walking Dead, Criminal, Savage Dragon and so many more. And not just because Image is only about 20 minutes from where I live, so I can actually drop by the place, once the pandemic is in the rear view. My creative partners and I are looking forward to a having a home for the work we’re doing now and lots of new ideas to come.”

Chief Creative Officer and Publisher at Image Comics, Eric Stephenson, is just as excited Kurt is making the move to Image. “When I was editing comics for Extreme Studios back in the ’90s, one of my big regrets was that I couldn’t close the deal on getting Kurt Busiek to write Supreme, so working with Kurt to make Image the home for all of his creator-owned work — from Astro City to Arrowsmith to Autumnlands and more — has been nothing short of a thrill. In addition to being one of comics’ finest writers, Kurt is also a magnet for equally talented artists, and we couldn’t be happier to see the Image ‘i’ on work by the likes of Carlos Pacheco, Brent Anderson, Alex Ross, Ben Dewey, Stephen Mooney, Jordie Bellaire and Alex Sinclair.”

First up, Busiek and superstar artist Carlos Pacheco (Fantastic Four, Avengers Forever, Final Crisis, X-Men, Superman) bring fans the much-anticipated return of Arrowsmith in Arrowsmith: Behind Enemy Lines. This six-issue miniseries launches from Image Comics in January 2022 — followed in February by an oversized, fully re-mastered hardcover collected edition of the original series.

In March, Arrowsmith will be joined by the return of Astro City, Busiek’s collaboration with Brent Anderson, Alex Ross, and Alex Sinclair, first with an Astro City one-shot special introducing new characters and setting the stage for upcoming dangers for the city and the world, plus new collected editions that will make the entire Astro City backlist available again.

Longtime fans will also be treated to a new urban-fantasy graphic novel, The Gods on Sunday Morning, from the whole "Astro City" team, after which they begin a new ongoing run on the acclaimed series.

Also in the works is Free Agents, a new series launch from Busiek with co-writer Fabian Nicieza and artist Stephen Mooney and the return of Autumnlands from Busiek with Benjamin Dewey and Jordie Bellaire, all planned for late 2022.

In addition to all the exciting new content from the mind of Busiek, there will also be re-releases of his popular backlist gems like Shockrockets and Superstar: As Seen on TV, both with Stuart Immonen, Wade von Grawbadger and Jeromy Cox, and The Wizard’s Tale with David Wenzel.

In the upcoming Arrowsmith: Behind Enemy Lines, it’s World War I — but a war of wizards and dragons as much as bullets and barbed wire. Young airman Fletcher Arrowsmith plunges back into the heat of war — and finds himself behind enemy lines, facing a threat that could doom the Allied Powers. Old friends and new favorites will appear, and the world of Arrowsmith will be deepened, as previously-secret history and machinations are revealed.

For the re-mastered hardcover, Arrowsmith: So Smart in Their Fine Uniforms, readers are introduced to young Fletcher Arrowsmith who learns the true cost of war in an alternate history where dragons and magic spells are as much a part of World War I as bullets and barbed wire. This edition, deluxe-sized and in hardcover for the first time, will present the art as Pacheco originally intended, and will feature ancillary material about the creation and history of Arrowsmith.

Of the return of Arrowsmith, Busiek said: “Stepping back into this universe at long last, and writing these characters again feels like coming home, and visiting with old friends — admittedly, old friends who do dangerous, stressful things to in the name of adventure. And the art, by Carlos, Rafael and Jose, is just astounding. Arrowsmith fans have been very patient, but have never been shy about letting us know they want more — and I can’t wait for them to see both the new series and the re-mastered original in the kind of hardcover edition we think it deserves.”

Carlos Pacheco added: “It seems like only yesterday Kurt and I were dreaming of creating a book about WWI and magic. It’s been a long trip since then. We kept hoping to bring the world of Arrowsmith back to life, but the stars didn’t line up properly until now. And maybe the stars didn’t help, but the readers have. I feel like we’ve had an unwritten agreement with all the people who’ve supported Fletcher and Hilda since the day they both took flight, and pushed us to bring them back. We’re very happy to say here they are, after all these years.”

“It’s also wonderful to be back in the world of Astro City,” said Busiek. “Alex, Brent and I have been planning this for a long time — we’re introducing a teen-hero team, The Jayhawks (and more), in the special, and setting off a mystery as important to Astro City as what happened to the Silver Agent or the story of the Broken Man. Alex has designed a cornucopia of new characters, and Brent is going to town on the artwork. It’ll be a very fun ride — and yes, longtime readers, we will get to the story of the N-Forcer, I promise! Plus, I think The Gods on Sunday Morning will be a treat, both for Astro City readers and others. It’s a standalone urban fantasy graphic novel about a group of long-forgotten gods in the world today, taking a similar approach to fantasy as what Brent, Alex and I have done with superheroes, and it’s looking just gorgeous.”

Artist Brent Anderson added: “Twenty-seven years ago Kurt Busiek offered me the chance of a lifetime to co-create an entire universe filled with superpowered heroes, crazy villains, wizards, sorcerers, mad geniuses, monsters of all stripes and extraterrestrial aliens, a universe the center of which is Astro City. Originally published by Image in 1995, these are comic book stories I am proud to see on my bookshelves, and I look forward to creating many more. Like I said, chance of a lifetime! Over the years, Kurt has asked me to draw several non-Astro City stories — The Spirit, Green Lantern, the Avengers, but the most recent is The Gods on Sunday Morning, an excitingly original graphic novel published exclusively through Image Comics by Kurt Busiek. Drawing it made me feel young again.”

On future projects, Busiek said: “I can’t wait to start telling you about what’s coming for Dusty and Learoyd in Autumnlands, what the Free Agents are all about, and beyond. We’ve been cooking up a lot, and it’s great to finally get to see it becoming a reality."

Ben Dewey said of Autumnlands, “Kurt is one of my favorite creators. He can invent captivating stories that have a grand, high-concept cosmological scale or get a reader deeply invested in the details of a simple fireside conversation between two regular people. He understands characters and why we love or despise them. His work is proof that comics can be magical.”

“Working with him on Autumnlands pushed me to be my best and it’s a world that has many exciting frontiers ready to be explored. When it returns I think it’ll be just as big a challenge for me as it was when we started off because the scale of the world demands it. I treasure every project I’ve gotten to work on with Kurt; as his collaborator there’s always opportunities to learn more about the craft of storytelling in comics. He never fails to inspire me with his boundless  imagination, enthusiasm and wit. I’m a fan and I’m looking forward to seeing what new worlds he’s going to show us. I’m lucky because I get to see them first!”

“Kurt and I have always had fun working together,” said Fabian Nicieza. “I’ve been waiting 30 damn years to have an Image book! Free Agents hits all our strengths and sweet spots, and Stephen and Tamra only add to my excitement.”

“I’m thrilled to be joining such a top-notch team,” added Stephen Mooney. “Kurt and Fabian put together some incredible concepts, and I’m eager to show what Tamra and I can bring to the party. Teaming up with Image again just makes it all the sweeter.”

• First issue!
  • Yes, that's a lot of words!
  • I love Astro City but haven't read them all, and have been frustrated for years at the paucity of collections. The news of a HC series is welcome, indeed. I always prefer HC collections anyway, but in this case, it's really the only way to read Astro City, what with all the one-shots, two-shots, miniseries and other bits and bobs not included in the "main" series. The other series are welcome, too, but it's Astro City that is my main focus.

BOLERO #1 (OF 5)

Covers: Luana Vecchio, Jim Mahfood, Maria Llovet

An all-new sci-fi/romance begins in the upcoming Bolero by rising stars Wyatt Kennedy and Luana Vecchio. This visually-stunning five issue miniseries will launch from Image Comics in January 2022.

“Page by page, Wyatt and I put our whole love and passion for comics into this miniseries to convey the strong sense of loneliness and despair that many feel after the end of a relationship," said Vecchio. "Running away might often seem like the simplest solution, but there is no simple solution when dealing with pain”

Kennedy added: "I sincerely can't thank Image enough for giving us the chance to tell this story. I've lived with it and these characters for nearly six years, and no one besides the tremendously talented Luana Vecchio could have imbued this with such soul and joy and kept me from rewriting it for the 87th time."

A woman running away from a broken heart discovers a mother-key into parallel universes. The rules are: The key can work on any door. The mother will only let you visit 53 universes. Do not ask to speak to the mother. Never hop more than 53 times.

Sex Criminals meets Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind in this fantastical, emotional journey featuring a beautifully diverse cast of characters.

• First issue!
  • Named for a famous song, so it must be good!

CHU VOL 2 TPB

COMPASS VOL 1 TPB

EXCELLENCE #12

HEY KIDS! COMICS! VOL 2: PROPHETS & LOSS TPB

HOME SICK PILOTS #11

KING SPAWN #6

LADY MECHANIKA: MONSTER OF MINISTRY #2

PRIMORDIAL #5

RIGHTEOUS THIRST FOR VENGEANCE #4

SILVER COIN #8

TIME BEFORE TIME #9

THE WALKING DEAD DELUXE #31

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #86

AMAZING SPIDERMAN BEYOND VOL 1 TPB

AVENGERS #52

BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN #1 (OF 5)

Story:  J.M. DeMatteis | Art: David Baldeón | Covers: Steve Skroce, Dan Jurgens, Alex Maleev, Skottie Young

This January, fans will get the chance to return to the era when Ben Reilly was the one, true Spider-Man!

J.M. DeMatteis, writer of influential Spider-Man stories such as "Kraven’s Last Hunt" and Spider-Man: The Lost Years, will make his celebrated return to Marvel Comics this January with BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN! The iconic Spider-Man scribe will reveal new stories in the life of Peter Parker’s clone, Ben Reilly, during his time as Spider-Man. DeMatteis will be joined by X-Factor and Domino artist David Baldeón as they unlock new secrets about this fan-favorite hero! In the same vein as Peter David and Greg Land’s hit Symbiote Spider-Man series, BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN will explore thrilling new mysteries set in this classic time in Spider-Man history!

Darkness looms over New York City as murders begin to pile up … but how are they all connected? Meanwhile, a mysterious figure from Ben’s past has crawled his way back into Ben’s life — does the Ravencroft Institute for the Criminally Insane hold the key to their identity?

Here’s what DeMatteis had to say about spinning his webs within the Spidey mythos once more:

“What I’ve always found fascinating about Ben Reilly is that he’s Peter Parker — and yet he’s not. Life has taken Ben on a strange, twisted path and altered him, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse; but, like Peter, he’s a man who’s constantly striving to do the right thing, even if he doesn’t always succeed. Ben is wonderfully, painfully human, immensely relatable — and our new BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN series allows me to dive even deeper into Ben’s psyche, to explore him in new and, I hope, interesting ways.

"Having David Baldeon bringing this story to visual life has been the icing on the cake.  David’s work is incredibly dynamic.  Fluid and powerful.  He nails the big moments—we’ve got some major antagonists going up against Ben — but he always holds tight to the characters’ humanity, so that even the smallest, quietest moments shine and have resonance.

“It’s been a true joy returning the Spiderverse and reuniting with my old friend, Ben.”

To celebrate these untold adventures of Ben Reilly, Marvel is proud to unveil another hidden piece of Ben Reilly history: legendary artist Dan Jurgens’ unused Ben Reilly costume design! Jurgens’ original design sheet and sketch art from 1995 will adorn BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN #1 as variant covers and this bold costume may also play a surprising role in Ben Reilly’s saga by the end of the new series …

Here’s what Jurgens had to say about his costume design seeing new light as covers:

“Back in 1995 when we were launching the new SENSATIONAL SPIDER-MAN series with Ben Reilly taking over as Spidey, we decided to tweak his costume. Mark Bagley and I each took a swing and Mark’s classic design — quite appropriately — was the winner. I filed the art away and pretty much forgot about it until the new series came up in a recent conversation and I happened to think of it. Definitely cool now that, after all these years, this other version will finally see the light of day as one of the variants to BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN #1. It’s even more cool to be drawing Ben again, with regular variant covers for the duration of the series!”

• First issue!
  • This is not replacing Amazing Spider-Man (where Ben currently also stars), nor was it included in the "Spider-Man in January" PR posted last week. I think we can assume that Ben's time behind the mask is limited. Then there's this:

• Couple that with recent PR that Amazing Spider-Man will re-start at #1 in April, with John Romita Jr. on art, and I think we can see where this is going.

DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE: X-MEN/BLACK KNIGHT #1

Story: Si Spurrier | Art: Bob Quinn | Cover: Cory Smith

And mutant masterminds writer Si Spurrirer and Bob Quinn reunite in DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE: X-MEN/BLACK KNIGHT, a crossover issue that will pick up on the aftermath of Spurrier’s critically acclaimed BLACK KNIGHT: CURSE OF THE EBONY BLADE series and recent developments in the world of the X-Men. All manner of vile extradimensional foes are invading Earth following the collapse of Doctor Strange’s magical safeguards for the planet. Dane Whitman, the Black Knight, and his daughter Jacks, now sharing the burden of the Ebony Blade with her father, ride off to confront a terrible evil attacking London — the X-MEN?! Krakoa’s greatest heroes have been transformed — but by what?! Jacks, Dane and Faiza Hussain — wielder of the mighty sword Excalibur — must team up to save the X-Men before an even deadlier threat destroys them all!

• This is the longest death I've ever seen! And he isn't really dead, is he? Hasn't a younger version of himself been tagged in? I'm tradewaiting, so I don't know, but that's what I hear.

DEFENDERS #5

DEVIL’S REIGN: VILLAINS FOR HIRE #1

• First issue!

DEVIL'S REIGN: XMEN #1

ETERNALS #9

HAWKEYE EPIC COLLECTION: AVENGING ARCHER TPB

HULK #3

MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #34

MOON KNIGHT #7

PHOENIX SONG: ECHO #4

REIGN OF X VOL 8 TPB

SAVAGE AVENGERS #28

SHE-HULK #1

Story: Rainbow Rowell | Art: Rogê Antônio | Covers: Jen Bartel, Adam Hughes

Marvel’s sensational powerhouse returns! One of comics’ most beloved heroes, Jennifer Walters, A.K.A. She-Hulk, will star in a new ongoing comic series starting in January. Written by acclaimed author Rainbow Rowell (RUNAWAYS) with art by Rogê Antônio (X-MEN: RED, HELLIONS), SHE-HULK will see the character embark on a journey that heralds back to her fan-favorite solo adventures of the past while embracing a fresh new future for the character. Promising to be a delight for fans as well as newcomers to She-Hulk’s saga, the series will once again prove why Jennifer Walters is the greatest character around!

Following her transformative time in Jason Aaron’s AVENGERS, She-Hulk is eager to put her rage-filled days behind her and return to practicing law in defense of the innocent. She’s got a career to rebuild, friends to reconnect with (and maybe represent in a court of law) and enemies to…well, she may not want to connect with them, but they are DEFINITELY going to connect with her. And when a friend from her past comes knocking with a mystery she can’t resist, she’ll quickly be back to bashing. The last page of this debut issue is going to send Jen down a road she’s never traveled, one that will shake up her life and possibly the whole Marvel Universe.

“She-Hulk is the best of the best,” Rowell said. “She’s smart, she’s funny—and she’s really and truly heroic (all that and she has the best hair in comics). Jen has always been at the top of my Marvel wishlist, and I’m thrilled to be writing her next chapter.”

"I’m very excited and feel honored to be a part of this exciting new phase of She-Hulk,” Antônio said. “Working with Rainbow Rowell has been inspiring and it’s amazing how she lets her passion for the character shine through on every page. I hope the fans have as much fun reading as I’m having illustrating these new adventures."

A premiere issue so big it’ll have not one but two dazzling main covers — one by astounding cover artist Jen Bartel and another by comics legend Adam Hughes!

• First issue!
  • Hey, isn't there a TV show with this name coming out later this year? What a coincidence!

SILK #1

SILVER SURFER: REBIRTH #1

Story: Ron Marz | Art/Cover: Ron Lim

This January, legendary creators Ron Marz and Ron Lim will make their grand return to the mythos they helped define with an all-new story set during their classic run on SILVER SURFER! A five-issue limited series, SILVER SURFER: REBIRTH, will follow in the tradition of current hit titles such as X-MEN LEGENDS and SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN which sees the greatest creators in Marvel Comics history revisit their historic runs for fresh insights and revelatory adventures. Throughout the 90s, Marz and Lim shaped Marvel’s cosmic landscape with epic tales involving Silver Surfer, Thanos, and the Infinity Gems. Now, the writer/artist duo are back to deliver everything that fans loved about their original works and more!

Someone has stolen the Reality Gem, an object that allows the user to fulfill any wish no matter the consequences! But whoever has taken it is doing things like bringing back the dead hero Captain Mar-Vell. It’s up to Silver Surfer to team up with the least likely of allies, Thanos, to find the Gem and restore reality to its proper form!

"Turns out you can go home again,” Marz said. “Silver Surfer with Ron Lim was literally my first job in comics. The first comic page I ever wrote was drawn by Ron when we were both kids. And now three decades later we get to go back there and slip right back into that same groove. It's so great to be wielding the power cosmic again."

“I am so thrilled to be penciling SILVER SURFER: REBIRTH,” Lim said. “When Darren Shan, our editor, asked if I’d be interested in working on this with Ron Marz, I jumped at the chance. It is fantastic to be working with Ron again. It has been quite a while since we worked together, but it feels like hardly a day has passed. I’m having a blast getting to draw many of my favorite characters from our run. The story is full of surprises, familiar characters and crazy cosmic action! I can’t wait for the readers to  check out the book – hope they enjoy it as much as I enjoy drawing it!’

• First issue!
  • Can you really go home again, '90s fans? Read this and let me know.

SPIDER-WOMAN VOL 3: BACK TO BASICS TPB

STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #18

STAR WARS HIGH REPUBLIC #13

STRANGE ACADEMY #15

VENOM #4

X LIVES OF WOLVERINE #1 (OF 5)

Story: Benjamin Percy | Art: Joshua Cassara | Colors: Frank Martin | Cover: Adam Kubert

The Second Krakoan Age of X-Men is almost upon us! Releasing on a weekly schedule starting on Jan. 19, X LIVES OF WOLVERINE and X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE will transform the mutant mythos in the same exciting fashion as 2019’s revolutionary HOUSE OF X and POWERS OF X.

In the aftermath of INFERNO, the fate of mutantkind is under threat and Wolverine must travel to various points in time to prevent the death of a key figure in mutant history. Along the way, key eras of Wolverine’s storied past will be explored and revelations that will impact mutantkind’s future will be brought to light.

Written by X-FORCE and WOLVERINE scribe Benjamin Percy with art by Marvel's Stormbreaker Joshua Cassara and extraordinary artist Federico Vicentini and covers by legendary Wolverine artist Adam Kubert, X LIVES OF WOLVERINE and X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE promises to be the most epic Wolverine story in Marvel Comics history. Get your first glimpse at this time-shredding adventure in the all-new X LIVES OF WOLVERINE/X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE trailer, featuring never-before-seen artwork!

“This is a story that channels Wolverine’s legacy from start to finish. But with that said, it’s very much its own thing. I don’t do karaoke,” Percy told Nerdist in an exclusive interview. “In other words, I am tipping my hat to ‘Days of Future Past,’ yes, but the X LIVES OF WOLVERINE/X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE is its own signature narrative. I’ve got a thing for time-travel stories (and stories that play with time). The Time Machine. The Terminator franchise. Back to the Future. Looper. Cloud Atlas. Endgame. I’ve always wanted to take on the genre — and we went all out. The clocks and the compasses are spinning wildly. Be ready for a blood-soaked, mayhem-packed, kaleidoscopic journey through time and space."

• Wolverine has had so many revisions to his past that I've long since lost track. It used to be cool to see reveals from his past, but now it's sorta "oh no, not this again." This series will either help me get everything straight, or (more likely) confuse me further.

OTHER PUBLISHERS

10 DANCE VOL 6 GN

5 WORLDS VOL 5: THE EMERALD GATE

Mark Siegel, Alexis Siegel, Xanthe Bouma, Matt Rockefeller, and Boya Sun. | Ages 8-12

The fifth and final installment in the acclaimed 5 Worlds series is finally here!

The highly acclaimed 5 Words series, an epic children’s graphic novel series that’s part Star Wars and part Avatar: The Last Airbender, comes to a thrilling and epic conclusion in 5 WORLDS BOOK 5: THE EMERALD GATE.

Co-created by a diverse team of two authors and three illustrators, the 5 World series features gorgeous artwork, complex worldbuilding and unforgettable characters. With all the heart, action and twists that readers have come to expect from the series, THE EMERALD GATE is as satisfying conclusion as one could hope for. Fans of enthralling magical adventures, intricate new worlds and motley fellowships need look no further for their next series to binge.

In THE EMERALD GATE, the final battle looms as Oona, Jax, and An Tzu travel to the treacherous world of Grimbo! There, Oona must light the last beacon to save the 5 Worlds, but first she must find it. When Jax saves an old friend, Oona is given a clue to the green beacon’s location. Unfortunately, the journey to lighting the beacon on this strange, watery planet is the most dangerous yet. Meanwhile, Stan Moon has one more trick up his sleeve as his frightening powers and mysterious connection to An Tzu continue to grow. How can Oona ever hope to beat him? Can she count on her friends, or will a terrible betrayal mean the 5 Worlds will be lost to evil forever?

MARK SIEGEL has written and illustrated several award-winning picture books and graphic novels, including the New York Times bestseller Sailor Twain and Oskar and the Eight Blessings. He is also the founder and editorial director of First Second Books. He lives with his family in New York. Follow Mark on Facebook and Twitter at @MarkSiegelBooks and the 5 Worlds team on Twitter at @5WorldsTeam.

ALEXIS SIEGEL is a writer and translator based in Switzerland. He has translated a number of bestselling graphic novels, including Joann Sfar’s The Rabbi’s Cat and Pénélope Bagieu’s Exquisite Corpse into English and Gene Luen Yang’s American Born Chinese into French.

XANTHE BOUMA is an illustrator based in Southern California. When not working on picture books such as Little Sid, fashion illustration and comics, Xanthe enjoys soaking up the sun beachside. Follow Xanthe on Tumblr at @yumbles and on Twitter at @xoxobouma.

MATT ROCKEFELLER is an illustrator and comic artist from Tucson, Arizona. His work has appeared in a variety of formats, including book covers, animation and picture books such as Train, Rocket, and Pop! He also illustrates the middle-grade series "The Explorers." Follow him on Tumblr at @mrockefeller and on Twitter at @mrockefeller.

BOYA SUN is an illustrator and coauthor of the graphic novel Chasma Knights. Originally from China, Boya has traveled from Canada to the United States and now lives in Northern California. Follow Boya on Tumblr at @boyasun and on Twitter at @boyaboyasun.

PRAISE FOR THE 5 WORLDS SERIES

A New York Public Library Top Ten Best Book for Kids

A Publishers Weekly Best Summer Book

A Junior Library Guild Selection

A Nerdy Book Club Award Winner for Best Graphic Novel of the Year

Included in NPR’s Guide to the Year’s Great Reads

“Sensitive writing, gorgeous artwork, and riveting plot.” — Booklist, starred review

“A dazzling interplanetary fantasy ... that will easily appeal to fans of Naruto or Avatar: The Last Airbender.” — Publishers Weekly, starred review

“A bang-zoom start to a series that promises to be epic.” — The New York Times Book Review

“A rare adventure.” — Kirkus Reviews

“Ends triumphantly and tantalizingly.” — The Horn Book Magazine

“The beautiful illustrations will have young readers flying through the pages.” — Deseret News

“Distinctly unique. ... It oozes with imagination and creativity.” — Bam! Smack! Pow!

“An intriguing beginning to what is sure to be a fascinating series.” — BookRiot

“I dare you not to get immediately caught up in Oona’s epic tale!” — MuggleNet

“Mind-blowingly beautiful. ... A must-read.” — R. J. Palacio, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Wonder

“Epic action, adventure and mystery will draw you in, but the heartfelt characters and their seemingly impossible journey will keep you turning the pages.” — Lisa Yee, author of the DC Super Hero Girls™ series

“This stellar team has created a gorgeous and entrancing world like no other!” — Noelle Stevenson, New York Times bestselling author of Nimona

“A magical journey, as fun as it is beautiful.” — Kazu Kibuishi, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Amulet

ALL MY FRIENDS GN

ALMOST AMERICAN #4

ANIMAL CASTLE #2

APOSIMZ VOL 8 GN

THE ART OF SUSHI HC

NBM | 160 pages | $24.99

By Franckie Alarcon

Fly to Japan and come discover all there is to know about sushi. After revealing the secrets of chocolate to us, Franckie Alarcon offers a gourmet panorama of this exceptional dish that has conquered the planet! But do you really know sushi? The author traveled to Japan to meet all the players involved in the making of this true work of culinary art. From the traditional starred chef to the young cook who is shaking up the rules, including all the artisans and producers involved, this book covers the most emblematic of Japanese products from A to Z. A fascinating journey of discovery that, along the way, tells a lot about Japan itself. You’ll never believe the precision and detailed obsession with quality ingredients involved.

CC sez: I don't like sushi*. Heck, I don't like cooked fish very much. But a whole lot of the world does, so here's a book for them.

ASSASSIN’S CREED: BLADE OF SHAO JUN VOL 3 GN

ASTERIX OMNIBUS VOL 5 HC

BEASTARS VOL 16 GN

BLOOM INTO YOU ANTHOLOGY VOL 2 GN

BOB FINGERMAN'S PARIAH REDUX TPB

BOFURI DON'T WANT TO GET HURT MAX OUT DEFENSE VOL 3 GN

BOUNTIFUL GARDEN #5

BOYS RUN THE RIOT VOL 4 GN

BUTTS IN SEATS: THE TONY SCHIAVONE STORY

CAROLE & TUESDAY VOL 3 GN

CAVEWOMAN: GONE FISHING ONE-SHOT

CHARLEY & HUMPHREY #1

CIMMERIAN VOL 3 HC

COMING BACK GN

COMPLETE WORKS OF FANTE BUKOWSKI TPB

Story/Art: Noah Van Sciver | Fantagraphics | 464 pages | 18+ and up | $34.99

Living in a beat-up motel, consorting with the downtrodden and mid-level literati, Fante Bukowski must overcome great obstacles: a love interest turned rival, ghostwriting a teen celebrity's memoirs, no actual talent — to gain the respect and adoration of critics and, more importantly, his father. Van Sciver has created a scathing, hilarious, and empathetic character study of a self-styled author determined to prove that he's just one more poem (or drink) away from success.

Originally published in hardcover in 2020, The Complete Works of Fante Bukowski quickly sold out and is nominated for a 2021 Eisner Award for Best Graphic Album. This expanded paperback edition includes additional content, including a 2020 Slate interview with Fante himself and a cover gallery of Fante's previous books. Also: a foreword by novelist Ryan Boudinot (Blueprints of the Afterlife); a facsimile reproduction of Bukowski's literary debut, 6 Poems (thought lost to time in the wake of a motel fire that destroyed the entire original print run); a "Works Cited" section; and a selection of "visual tributes" by over two dozen cartoonists — including Nina Bunjevac, Simon Hanselmann, Jesse Jacobs, Ed Piskor, Leslie Stein, and others.

The Complete Works of Fante Bukowski is part of the Fante Bukowski series.

"As literary satires go, it's both gleefully malicious and unrepentantly stupid — a winning combination." — The New York Times

"At its deepest, Fante Bukowski stands as a commentary on hordes of recognition-hungry artists with nothing to say, but as a straight parody, Fante Bukowski is hilarious enough to summon tears." — Paste

"Van Sciver has established himself as a thoughtful cartoonist with a talent for exploring the complexities of the human condition with a pointed sense of humor, and Fante Bukowski highlights the combination of desperation and foolhardiness that makes this character an especially compelling trainwreck." — The AV Club

"[Van Sciver's] take-no-prisoners satire ends up being surprisingly sweet." — Publishers Weekly

"Readers may cringe at Fante's clueless self-delusion, but as irredeemable as he might be, they're also likely to root for him just a bit." — BooklistCRIMSON CAGE #2 (OF 5)

DARLING COLLECTED EDITION TPB

DESIRE PANDORA VOL. 2

PIXEL + INK

DOLPHIN GIRL VOL 02: EYE OF THE BALONEY STORM GN

EDGAR ALLEN POE`S SNIFTER OF DEATH #4 (OF 6)

ESSENTIAL JUDGE DREDD VOL 4: DREDD VS DEATH TPB

GOLDEN JAPANESQUE YOKOHAMA KARENTAN VOL 4 GN

GREEN HORNET SKY LIGHTS TPB

GUILLEM MARCH’S LAURA #3

HEATHENS #3

HELL’S PARADISE JIGOKURAKU VOL 12 GN

HER ROYAL HIGHNESS SEEMS TO BE ANGRY VOL 3 GN

Story: Kou Yatsuhashi | Art: Neko Yotsuba | Character design: Mito Nagishiro | TokyoPop | Teen | B&W | 176 pages | $12.99

Her Royal Highness Seems to be Angry is a new isekai story featuring magic, fantasy, tragedy, comedy and a splash of romance! Originally released as a light novel by Kou Yatsuhashi, he worked closely with Mito Nagishiro and Neko Yotsuba to create the character designs and manga, respectively.

Chaos reigns at the training camp when the students of Lucrezia Academy are attacked by a mysterious group of people using strange magic. Among them, a masked man who seems to know the truth behind her reincarnation goes after Leticiel with the cryptic warning: "We are two people whose destinies are intertwined." With unexpected help from an ethereal being known as an Elemental, Leticiel's sorcery is able to push back the masked man's attack — but not before Zeke reveals that he, too, can wield the same dark power as the stranger.

With each secret that comes to light, more mysteries appear from the shadows. What is the truth behind Zeke's past, and why has he been hiding it from everyone all this time?

IDEAL SPONGER LIFE VOL 11 GN

INCAL DLX B&W ED HC

LOST IN SPACE ULT COLL GN

LOUD HOUSE VOL 14: GUESSING GAMES HC

LOUD HOUSE: LOVE OUT LOUD SPECIAL HC

LOVE ME FOR WHO I AM VOL 5 GN

LOVE MOM & 2 HIT MULTI TARGET ATTACKS VOL 5 GN

MAGICAL BOY VOL 1 GN

MARVEL COMICS LIBRARY VOL 1 SPIDER-MAN HC

Story: Stan Lee | Art/Cover: Steve Ditko | Taschen | 698 pages | $200

This XXL-sized volume collects the classic first 21 stories of the world's favorite web slinger from 1962-64. The most pristine pedigreed comics have been cracked open and photographed for reproduction in close collaboration with Marvel and Certified Guarantee Company. With an in-depth historical essay by Marvel editor Ralph Macchio, original art, rare photographs, and other gems, these 698 pages of wall-crawling wonder will make anyone's spider-sense tingle with anticipation.

• What a dilemma this brick presents. It's a fantastic format, and sort of an "event" book. But geez, I've got these stories in two or three other formats and read them dozens of times. And it's pricey. I'll probably end up getting the first — yes, this is the first in a proposed series — and evaluate from there. But only if Instocktrades carries it. I'm not paying full freight.

MILES TO GO TPB

MONDAY MONDAY: RIVERS OF LONDON VOL 1 TPB

MONSTER GUILD DARK LORDS NO GOOD COMEBACK VOL 2 GN

MOON LAKE VOL 2 (OF 3) GN

MURCIELAGO VOL 18 GN

MY DATE WITH MONSTERS #3

NO. 5 VOL 3 GN

NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY FURI SAN IS SCARY VOL 2 GN

NPCS IN THIS VILLAGE SIM GAME MUST BE REAL VOL 2 GN

OUT #4

OVERLORD VOL 14 GN

OWLY COLOR ED GN VOL 4: TIME TO BE BRAVE

POKEMON ADV X Y VOL 1 GN

PS ARTBOOKS PLANET COMICS VOL 5 SOFTEE

RECORD RAGNAROK VOL 1 GN

REINCARNATED AS A SWORD: ANOTHER WISH VOL 1

Story/Art: Hinako Inoue Yuu Tanaka Llo | Seven Seas | 176 pages | Teen (13+) | $12.99

A new spin-off manga series for the fantasy isekai light novels and manga–and don’t miss the anime, coming soon!

Reincarnated as a sentient weapon with all memories of his past life except for his name, a magical sword saved a young beast girl from a life of slavery. As his wielder, Fran the cat-eared girl only wants to grow stronger, while the sword wants to know why he is here. Follow their new adventures in this spin-off manga series!

RISE AND FALL OF TRIGAN EMPIRE VOL 3 TPB

RIVERS OF LONDON 4-6 BOX SET

RUNES COLLECTED EDITION TPB

RUSH #3

RYAN’S WORLD: RED TITAN & NEVER ENDING MAZE GN

SACHI’S MONSTROUS APPETITE VOL 6

SEARCH FOR HU #5

SHADOWMAN #5

Story: Cullen Bunn | Art: Pedro Andreo | Colors: Jordie Bellaire | Letters: Clayton Cowles | Covers: Jon Davis-Hunt, Jonathan Marks Barravecchia, Adam Pollina | Valiant |

Terror takes over the Valiant Universe this January ...

The critically-acclaimed series SHADOWMAN will unleash part 1 of "Deadside War" in SHADOWMAN #5, a gripping horror storyline that will unfold within the pages of SHADOWMAN for four issues and feature the eagerly anticipated return of fan-favorite character PUNK MAMBO.

Jack Boniface is SHADOWMAN, the brave and powerful supernatural protector who keeps humanity safe from the deadly creatures that dwell within the dimension known as the Deadside. When more and more of these nightmarish creatures start clawing into the world of the living, Jack won't be able to stand alone against the global threat. "We’re seeing Blights — tears in the fabric of reality between our world and the Deadside — opening with increased frequency and increased supernatural mayhem," said New York Times bestselling writer CULLEN BUNN. "It will also awaken some old adversaries who might be too much even for the combined might of our heroes. All this brings us to the titular war, which could rip the entirety of the Valiant Universe apart."

Rising star artist PEDRO ANDREO aims to pull fans right into Cullen's haunting story. "I wanted to capture the horror, stress, and oppression that an actual zombie attack would have in a city that wasn't expecting it," stated Pedro. "I couldn't decide on whether I wanted slow zombies or running zombies so I went with a little bit of both. Both types of zombies! Could you imagine? That would be a nightmare."

In addition to bringing the horror to new heights, Pedro also enjoyed the opportunity to blend in energetic action sequences. "Cullen's script was specific about everything that took place in these panels, but it let me go wild on the shots, angles, and movement, so I went full anime on them. I had a lot of fun doing the kinetic effects and such crazy panels full of detail, gore and action."

Every new chapter of "Deadside War" in SHADOWMAN will feature a primary cover by Jon Davis-Hunt, a new Horror Movie Homage variant cover, and a pre-order cover. See below for the SHADOWMAN #5 covers featuring artwork by Davis-Hunt, Jonathan Marks Barravecchia, and Adam Pollina.

SILVER CITY TPB

SLASHER MAIDENS VOL 4 GN

SLOW LIFE IN ANOTHER WORLD I WISH VOL 2 GN

SMURF TALES VOL 3: CROW IN SMURFY GROVE GN

SOUL EATER PERFECT EDITION VOL 05 HC

SPECIES DOMAIN VOL 12 GN

STEIN'S GATE 0 VOL 3 TPB

SUCCUBUS AND HITMAN VOL 1 GN

Story/Art: Makoto Fukami Seigo Tokiya | Seven Seas | 194 pages | Mature | $12.99

From the creative team behind Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka! In this dark action series, one man’s quest for revenge is about to raise hell.

High schooler Gamou Shouya is a dead man—sort of. The real Gamou Shouya is long gone, but his body lives on, inhabited by the soul of a boy who made a pact with the succubus Armelina. In exchange for his services as her personal hitman, Armelina is helping him hunt down the people who brutally murdered him and his family. The path ahead is dark and deadly, but Shouya’s got nothing left to lose…not even his soul.

• Before you ask: Yes, I am running more manga PR, mainly because I'm receiving more manga PR. I don't know if this is just the publishers being more aggressive, or if there is literally more manga now than ever before. Maybe both.
  • Say, why does the succubus have fox ears? Does that mean she's related to kitsume?

TEASING MASTER TAKAGI SAN VOL 13 GN

THAT TIME I REINCARNATED SLIME MONSTER NATION VOL 6 GN

THUNDER & CLUCK: SMART VS. STRONG GN

TOILET BOUND HANAKO KUN VOL 12 GN

TOPPU GP VOL 6 GN

THE TRUE STORY OF THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER HC

Story/Art: Tardi | Translation: Jenna Allen | Fantagraphics | 64 pages | $19.99

Mad geniuses, Jules Verne-style deliriums, dinosaurs, sex, bloodshed, and the madness of World War I — two strange and surreal early works by a master of the comics form.

Fantagraphics presents two experimental, early works by the French cartooning legend Tardi. These comics, created in the mid-'70s, provide a fascinating preview of the masterworks of his prolific career. While they are not narratively linked, an eerie sense of foreboding suffuses stories in this collection: they both depict sex and brutal violence and condemn the horrors of war.

The True Story of the Unknown Soldier follows a pulp novelist turned soldier who, driven to delirium amidst the trenches of WWI, becomes tormented by visions of his own seedy creations. This stream-of-consciousness tale visualizes the tortured psyche of its protagonist through dazzling dreamscapes and surreal scenarios. In The National Razor, a soldier returns from war a shattered man. Drowning himself in drink, he wanders the streets of Paris without purpose; in this numb stupor, he finds himself caught up in strange situations, lashes out in unexpectedly violent ways, and ultimately meets with a bloody end. At once a visceral depiction of the trauma wrought by war and a powerful denunciation of the death penalty and France's iconic guillotine.

ULTRAMAN VOL 16 GN

UNBOUND TPB

VAL X LOVE VOL 11 GN

VANN NATH PAINTING THE KHMER ROUGE

WAY OF THE HOUSEHUSBAND VOL 7 GN

WHEN WILL AYUMU MAKE HIS MOVE VOL 3 GN

WHITE RIVER MONSTER #1

WITCHBLOOD #10

WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #116

YOUR TURN TO DIE VOL 2 GN

MAGAZINES

ALTER EGO #173

BACK ISSUE #132

BRICKJOURNAL #71

COMIC SHOP NEWS (90CT BUNDLE) #1795

COMIC SHOP NEWS (90CT BUNDLE) #1796

HEAVY METAL #313

HOBBY JAPAN SEPTEMBER

LOCUS #732

MEGAMI AUGUST 2021

MEGAMI NOVEMBER 2021

MEGAMI OCTOBER 2021

NEWTYPE OCTOBER 2021

RETROFAN MAGAZINE #18

SHUDDER #3

BOOKS

ART OF LA MUERTA SGN SPECIAL ED HC

ART OF PIN-UP HC

BOFURI DON’T WANT TO GET HURT MAX OUT DEFENSE NOVEL VOL 4 SC

BUNGO STRAY DOGS NOVEL VOL 7 SC

DOCTOR STRANGE: MY MIGHTY MARVEL FIRST BOOK BOARD BOOK

DRAGON & CEREMONY: LIGHT NOVEL VOL 1 SC

DRUGSTORE IN ANOTHER WORLD: THE SLOW LIFE OF A CHEAT PHARMACIST (LIGHT NOVEL) VOL. 4

Story/Art: Kennoji Matsuuni | Translation: Elliot Ryouga | Adaptation: Kat Adler | Interior Layout & 22- pages | Design: Clay Gardner | Teen (13+) | $13.99

GRILLING AND CHILLING

Reiji has settled into the routine of his new life as a pharmacist in a fantasy world, and he’s comfortable enough that he wants to introduce some Earth customs to the residents of his new home. But how will a bunch of elves, demons, and werewolves react when Reiji introduces them to the strange, otherworldly ritual of … barbeque?!

GOONIES OFF COLORING BOOK

IRREGULAR AT MAGIC HIGH SCHOOL LIGHT NOVEL VOL 18 SC

I’VE BEEN KILLING SLIMES 300 YEARS NOVEL VOL 11 SC

MAGICAL GIRL RAISING PROJECT LIGHT NOVEL VOL 12 SC

MICKEY’S WALT DISNEY WORLD ADV LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK

MUSHOKU TENSEI JOBLESS REINCARNATION LIGHT NOVEL VOL 14 SC

MY FRIEND’S LITTLE SISTER HAS IT IN FOR ME LIGHT NOVEL VOL 2

MY HAPPY MARRIAGE NOVEL VOL 1 SC

REBORN AS A SPACE MERCENARY LIGHT NOVEL VOL 3 SC

SABIKUI BISCO LIGHT NOVEL VOL 1 SC

SAGA OF TANYA EVIL LIGHT NOVEL VOL 9 SC

SHURI BLACK PANTHER NOVEL VOL 3: SYMBIOSIS HC

SO I’M A SPIDER SO WHAT LIGHT NOVEL VOL 13 SC

STAR WARS: YODA ONE FOR ME HC

STRANGE ADVENTURE OF BROKE MERCENARY NOVEL VOL 3 SC

SWORD ART ONLINE NOVEL PROGRESSIVE VOL 7

TEARMOON EMPIRE LIGHT NOVEL VOL 3

WHITE CATS REVENGE PLOTTED DRAGON KINGS LAP LIGHT NOVEL VOL 2

YOU CALL THAT SERVICE LIGHT NOVEL SC VOL 5

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Amazing Spider-Man will re-start at #1 in April"

Ooh! I love new number ones!

• I made an observation a while back that the volume numbers will soon be higher than the issue numbers

• There's a rumor that Bruce's parents will be members of the Court of Owls in The Batman. If true, it'll be interesting to see if that carries over here.

IIRC, they already did that in the TV series Gotham.

• So many relaunches new #1s.  All that they tell me is that editorial does not expect readers to follow a book for very long.  A reasonable enough expectation for the current market, but it all but destroys the idea of an "ongoing" series.  For all intents and purposes all books are now limited series, even if some are a bit more open-ended than others and most seem to be part of some sort of wave or event.

"Death of Doctor Strange" has surprised me.  It is excellent at presenting Doc as an appealling character, even if the tie-ins are in reality random showcases of other characters.

I can't hide my surprise in finding out that they are revisiting Ron Lin's 1990s run on Silver Surfer.

• "All that they tell me is that editorial does not expect readers to follow a book for very long. A reasonable enough expectation for the current market, but it all but destroys the idea of an 'ongoing' series."

Well put! Most "ongoing series" these days last only long enough (a year, or two at most) for new fans to discover they liked the movie better. 

I also agree with your assessments of Doctor Strange and Silver Surfer

• Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas said:

So many relaunches new #1s.  All that they tell me is that editorial does not expect readers to follow a book for very long. 

This is the same mindset that editors had back in the 50s, just without the Code.

• The thing is, comics don't use volume numbers any more. And when they did, they didn't follow the standard academic procedure (one year equals one volume). Each company used "volume" as it saw fit, so they weren't terribly useful. But it was something. Now there's no notation to distinguish, for example, Moon Knight #1 the first from Moon Knight #1 the fifth, except the publication date.

And comics PR/journalism has gotten in the habit of not including the publication date when discussing a given issue, instead including the year the series began. I don't know about you, but Ms. Marvel #19 (2014) doesn't tell me much. I'd have to look up which Ms. Marvel series that was, since I don't know  offhand the year a given series began after, say, 1975. That has accelerated in recent years, when series keep re-launching willy-nilly. And Ms. Marvel #19 (2014) was actually published in 2015, so the 2014 date is kinda counter-intuitive. Further, the next iteration of Ms. Marvel began in 2015.So when you see Ms. Marvel (2015), do they mean the year that series launched, or the year the issue being discussed was published? Because the latter could refer to issues from two different series.

Comics Buyer's Guide used to include "(second series)" or whatever after an issue's title. That had its problems -- companies like Grand Comics Database and Lone Star/mycomicshop sometimes define differently what constitutes a new series -- but it was better than today's standard. But CBG style seems to have fallen out of favor.

• REGARDING THE MATTER OF OSWALD’S BODY #3 - Now I don't know enough about in Dallas in 1963 to critique how accurate the creators' depiction of it is. Yet, I was pleased that a radio station one the characters was listening to did actually exist, because I remember listening to it in the 80s. I think they even had the frequency right.

NIGHTWING #88 - It has been a looong time since I've enjoyed a Nightwing series, but I love what this creative team is doing

While I'm stoked for the return of Astro City, that is a lot of planned books from Busiek this year, and he has always struggled to remain on schedule with his creator owned projects. Hopefully, he is well ahead this time around.

THE ART OF SUSHI HC - I love sushi, but I don't recall if I ordered this or not, and I don't think my LCS would have ordered one for the store.

Ooh! I love new number ones!

So many relaunches new #1s. All that they tell me is that editorial does not expect readers to follow a book for very long.

Years ago now when I was working more at LCS, then like now, there were a bunch of relaunches. It got to the point I just started labeling dividers for his back issues like this: Avengers - Current Series. That way I wouldn't have to worry if it was volume 8, or part of Marvel Now, or New 52.

I'm pretty sure the owner hated it when I did that, but it saved me a lot of time. Then again, I hate the way he files his comics out too.

• Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

While I'm stoked for the return of Astro City, that is a lot of planned books from Busiek this year, and he has always struggled to remain on schedule with his creator owned projects. Hopefully, he is well ahead this time around.

IIRC, the first one is a "special." I don't think it's the start of a continuing series. Also, the delays of Astro City in the past were caused by serious illnesses. Hopefully he's healthier now.

THE ART OF SUSHI HC - I love sushi, but I don't recall if I ordered this or not, and I don't think my LCS would have ordered one for the store.

I love sushi, too!

• I remember one time (must have been 1997 or so?), I went to my LCS after work on a Wednesday and there was a Marvel rep there. This was pre-Heroes Return and one of the questions he was asking of fans was "New number one or legacy numbering?" (although that term wasn't in use then). There were maybe 15 or so regulars talking to him and not one was in favor of starting Avengers or Fantastic Four or Iron Man or Captain America over with a new number one. He had been visiting shops across the country and said that that was the majority opinion in every shop he had visited. 

This reply was deleted.