Notes:

• The 80th Anniversary Super-Spectaculars return this week with Catwoman. Joker and Green Lantern still on the way.
  • New Buffy, Birds of Prey and Sabrina titles begin this week.
  • The 80th anniversary Joker book comes out this week, not to be confused with the Super-Spectacular
  • My wife read and pronounced Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed pretty good
  • I’m interested to see what they pick for the DC Goes to War HC
  • A new The Boys miniseries begins, filling in the back story of Butcher’s marriage.
  • Nailbiter returns in, duh, Nailbiter Returns
  • The Paul Is Dead OGN looks like crazy fun if you’re a Beatles fan (which I am).
  • Lots of good collections from Marvel, as they play catch-up: She-Hulk by Byrne, X-Men v1 by Hickman, Astonishing X-Men by Whedon/Cassaday
  • Lots of good TV this week: SHIELD, Harley Quinn, Stargirl, Snowpiercer

MONDAY, JUNE 1

VIDEO

Stargirl, “Icicle” (DC Universe)

TUESDAY, JUNE 2:

COMICS

comiXology Originals

Youth #4

DC Comics (not Diamond)

• Absolute Fourth World by Jack Kirby v1
  • Action Comics #1022
  • Batman/Superman #9
  • Birds of Prey #1
  • Catwoman #22
  • Catwoman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular #1
  • DC Goes to War TPB
  • Detective Comics #1022
  • Event Leviathan: Checkmate #1
  • Far Sector #6
  • John Constantine: Hellblazer #6
  • The Joker: 80 Years of The Clown Prince of Crime HC
  • Justice League Dark #22
  • The Last God Sourcebook: Tales from the Book of Ages #1
  • Martian Manhunter: Identity TPB
  • Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? #104
  • Shazam! #12
  • Swamp Thing Giant #4
  • The Terrifics v3: The God Game TPB
  • Wonder Woman #756
  • Wonder Woman v1: The Just War TPB
  • Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed (OGN)
  • Young Justice v2: Lost in the Multiverse TPB

VIDEO

• DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, “Swan Thong” (The CW, 8 p.m.)
  • Stargirl, “Icicle” (The CW, 7 p.m.)

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 3

COMICS

BOOM!

• Buffy: Every Generation #1
  • Red Mother #5
  • Red Mother v1: Discover Now TPB
  • We Served The People: My Mother’s Stories

This debut graphic novel by Emei Burell retells her mother’s stories of growing up in China during the Great Leap Forward. Coming from Boom! Studios, it’s a solid read about a bit of history this writer had never encountered before.

DARK HORSE

• Art of Star Wars Rebels HC
  • Critical Role: Vox Machina: Origins Series II #6 (of 6)
  • Disney's Frozen True Treasure
  • Everything v1 TPB
  • Fight Club 3 HC
  • Gantz Omnibus v5 TPB
  • Star Blazers v2: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 TPB
  • Strayed v1 TPB
  • Sword Daughter v3: Elsbeth of Island HC
  • We'll Soon Be Home Again TPB

DYNAMITE

• The Boys: Dear Becky #1
  • Nancy Drew & Hardy Boys: Death of Nancy Drew #1

DC COMICS (Diamond)

• Action Comics #1022
  • Aquaman #59
  • Batman/Superman #9
  • Batman the Caped Crusader v4 TPB
  • Birds of Prey #1
  • Catwoman #22
  • Catwoman 80th Anniversary 100 Page Super Spectacular #1
  • DC Goes to War HC
  • Detective Comics #1022
  • Far Sector #6 (of 12)
  • John Constantine Hellblazer #6
  • Joker: 80 Years of the Clown Prince of Crime HC
  • Last God Sourcebook #1
  • Legion of Super-Heroes Silver Age Omnbius v3
  • New Teen Titans v11 TPB
  • Shazam #12
  • Swamp Thing Giant #4
  • Wonder Woman #756

IDW

• Dungeons & Dragons: Days of Endless Adventure TPB
  • GI Joe: A Real American Hero #271
  • Marvel Action Black Panther v2 Rise Together TPB
  • Ragnarok: Breaking of Helheim #5 (of 5)
  • Star Trek Year Five #11
  • Star Wars Adventures: Return to Vader's Castle TPB

Not sure about this one:

• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Road to 100 Deluxe Edition Hardcover

•  Copra #6

WRITER / ARTIST / COVER: MICHEL FIFFE

JUNE 3 / 56 PAGES / FC / T+ / $4.99

NEW STORY ARC

Heads of Ochizon, Annihilate

The Ochizon Saga is upon us! A showdown that has been forever hanging over our crew is finally here. Included in this double-length issue, the world of COPRA expands with the bonus, out-of-print rarity Negativeland, presented here in full!

• Nailbiter Returns #1

WRITER: JOSHUA WILLIAMSON

ARTIST / COVER: MIKE HENDERSON

JUNE 3 / 40 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

SERIES PREMIERE

JOSHUA WILLIAMSON & MIKE HENDERSON’S CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED HIT HORROR SERIES RETURNS!

Sixteen of the world’s worst serial killers were all born in the same small town—but Agent Finch and Sheriff Crane solved and buried that mystery.

Didn’t they?

Violent copycat murders imitating the infamous Buckaroo Butchers have begun in Portland, Oregon, and if Finch wants the killings to stop, he’ll have to team up with the daughter of the Nailbiter himself.

A brand-new mystery begins in this EXTRA-LENGTH FIRST ISSUE!

• November v2 HC

WRITER: Matt Fraction

ARTIST / COVER A: Elsa Charretier

JUNE 3 / 80 pages / FC/ M / $16.99

One phone call for help and all hell breaks loose for three strangers connected by bad luck, a twist of fate, and a gun in a puddle of rain. In the middle of a dense criminal underworld, these strangers' lives collide on one fateful and bloody night in this epic novelistic thriller by MATT FRACTION and ELSA CHARRETIER, with colors by MATT HOLLINGSWORTH and stunning hand-crafted lettering by cartoonist KURT ANKENY. One night. One city. Three women. NOVEMBER.

• Paul Is Dead OGN

WRITER: PAOLO BARON

ARTIST / COVER: ERNESTO CARBONETTI

JUNE 3 / 128 PAGES / FC / T+ / $16.99

TRIM SIZE 6.5 x 9.5

November 1966. London.

John Lennon can’t speak. He can’t take his eyes off the photo of a car in flames with Paul McCartney’s body inside. His friend is no longer here, and that means the Beatles are no longer here either. But John wants to know the truth, and with George and Ringo, he will begin to re-examine the final hours of Paul’s life.

Set in the magical atmosphere of Abbey Road Studios during the writing sessions for Sgt. Pepper, PAUL IS DEAD is the definitive version of the legend of Paul McCartney’s death.

• Postal: Deliverance #8

WRITER: BRYAN HILL

ARTIST / COVER: RAFFAELE IENCO

JUNE 3 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

The Eden Killer snaps and invades Mark and Maggie’s home, catching them off guard and leaving behind a bloody trail of carnage—and death.

• Reaver #8

WRITER: JUSTIN JORDAN

ARTIST: NIKO HENRICHON

COVER: BECKY CLOONAN

JUNE 3 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

Breaker and Rekala are on the verge of finding out what's happened to the lost children of Haas Haaden, but the truth is far worse than they could have ever dreamed.

• The Ride: Burning Desire TPB

STORY: DOUG WAGNER

ARTIST: DANIEL HILLYARD, ADAM HUGHES, CULLY HAMNER, TOMM COKER, CHRIS BRUNNER, DOUG DABBS

COVER: ADAM HUGHES

JUNE 3 / 144 PAGES / FC / M / $16.99

After a 15-year stint in prison, disgraced former detective Samantha Vega works as a bouncer. But when she discovers the exotic dancers in her care are in danger, Vega must decide if she’s willing to risk her freedom to help the people with nowhere else to turn.

From the award-winning PLASTIC team, DOUG WAGNER & DANIEL HILLYARD, and acclaimed comics artists ADAM HUGHES (Wonder Woman), CULLY HAMNER (Red), TOMM COKER (BLACK MONDAY MURDERS), CHRIS BRUNNER (Spider-Gwen), and more.

Collects THE RIDE: BURNING DESIRE #1-5

MARVEL

• Amazing Mary Jane v1: Down in Flames, Up in Smoke TPB
  • Astonishing X-Men By Joss Whedon & John Cassaday Omnibus HC
  • Ghost Rider v1 TPB
  • Mephisto [Classic] TPB
  • Sensational She-Hulk By John Byrne Omnibus HC
  • Spider-Man & Venom: Double Trouble GN-TPB
  • X-Men By Jonathan Hickman Vol. 1 TPB

Marvel Digital

• Avengers of The Wastelands #5
  • Revenge of The Cosmic Ghost Rider #5
  • 2020 Force Works #3
  • Scream: Curse of Carnage #6

OTHER

• Aggretsuko #3
  • Amalgama Space Zombie Tp Vol 01
  • Backtrack #3
  • Benny And Penny Lights Out Sc
  • Carthago Tp Origins
  • Caspers Spooksville #4 (Of 4)
  • Dance Class Hc Vol 10 Letting It Go
  • Dragon Whisperer #2
  • Finger Guns #2
  • Geek Of The Gods Sc (
  • Gung Ho #4
  • Headless Tp
  • Himouto Umari Chan Gn Vol 09
  • Hitorijime My Hero Gn Vol 07
  • Inside Mari Gn Vol 06 (Of 9)
  • Kidz #3 Cvr A Qualano
  • Kidz #3
  • Knights Of Sidonia Master Ed Gn Vol 05
  • Life Is Strange Tp Vol 03 Strings
  • Mitchum Gn
  • North Bend #2
  • Phoebe & Her Unicorn Gn Vol 11 Camping With Uncorns
  • Platinum End Gn Vol 11
  • Postman From Space Gn
  • Psychodrama Illustrated #1
  • Quick & Easy Guide To Sex & Disability Gn
  • Robotech Remix Tp Vol 01 Deja Vu
  • Robyn Hood Vigilante #6 (Of 6) Cvr A White
  • Sabrina Something Wicked #1 (Of 5)
  • Sandra On The Rocks Tp Vol 02
  • Spectacle Gn Vol 03
  • Star Wars Jedi Academy Yr Hc Vol 09 At Last Jedi
  • Takane & Hana Gn Vol 14
  • Uq Holder Gn Vol 19
  • When Stars Are Scattered Gn
  • When Stars Are Scattered Hc Gn
  • Witchlight Hc Gn
  • World Trigger Gn Vol 20
  • Wretches #5   
  • Yona Of The Dawn Gn Vol 23
  • Yuuna & Haunted Hot Springs Gn Vol 09

VIDEO

Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD, “Know Your Onions” (ABC)

FRIDAY, JUNE 5

Harley Quinn, “Dye Hard” (DC Universe)

SUNDAY, JUNE 7

Snowpiercer, “Without Their Maker” (TNT, 8 p.m.)

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "I’m interested to see what they pick for the DC Goes to War HC"

Catch a glimpse of what it was like to live through two World Wars through the eyes of characters including Sgt. Rock, Enemy Ace, the Boy Commandos, Blackhawk, and many others. From tales of rebellion to surviving the battlefield, this title collects some of the greatest war stories of their time. Collects Sgt. Rock Special #2, Enemy Ace: War in Heaven #1-2, Showcase #57, Our Army at War #67, #83, #233, and #235, Boy Commandos #1, Star Spangled War Stories #87 and #183, All-American Comics #48, Weird War Tales #3 (1972), G.I. Combat #87, Our Fighting Forces #49 and #102, The Losers Special #1, and Military Comics #1.

• Thanks, Jeff. Except that I don't know Our Army at War #67 from Our Army at War #167! So I don't know what's in that list of books above. War comics are a huge gap in my comics knowledge, because I really never cared for them when I was younger. My interest now is primarily historic.

I expect a lot of Kubert and some Kirby (Boy Commandos) in the book, which will be welcome, and maybe some origins. But what about Russ Heath? Mort Drucker? There are some odd corners in DC's war comics I hope they explore.

I do have an idea what to expect from Military Comics #1 (first Blackhawk), which they've already reprinted a time or two. And I think The Losers Special might something I have, if it's the one by Kirby. I also have Enemy Ace: War in Heaven, which I think was a two-part, perfect-bound affair. And I have Showcase #57 as well, which is the first appearance of Enemy Ace -- in fact, I have all of Von Hammer's Showcase appearances. And since I bought the first couple of years of Weird War Tales, I've doubtless read WWT #3, although I don't remember what's in it or why it would be special.

Say, maybe I know more about war comics than I thought!

• DC GOES TO WAR: This did NOT ship to my LCS today, despite the fact that the listing I posted above is from my store’s web-site which is fed directly from Diamond. The owner checked and it’s not on next week’s invoice, either. His best guess: June 17. Chalk it up to COVID and expect many more shipping irregularities in the weeks to come.

PAUL IS DEAD: This did ship but my LCS ordered only one copy for the shelf ad it was sold out by the time I got there. (If I would have really wanted it, I would have pre-ordered it.) If only this had shipped 30 years ago I would have been all over it. I never did buy into the “cover up” or “conspiracy” or whatever you want to call it, but I was fascinated by it. Somewhere I have a list of 68 (yes, you read that right: “68”) supposed “hints” from song lyrics and album cover art that Paul McCartney was dead. I’ll give it a look when the re-order ships, but if anyone here does buy it, please post about it somewhere here on this board.

• Diamond's  site still lists June 3 for DC Goes to War. Bleeding Cool has an article about delayed books, putting DC Goes to War on June 9 -- but it also has several books listed as late that weren't.

Instocktrades doesn't list DC Goes to War as far as a I looked, which was June 17. Amazon lists it as June 2.

• I suspect discrepancies such as this will persist for quite some time.

Incidentally, a collection titled Atlas at War (collecting stories from Marvel's "Atlas" era) was solicited for June 17 release. When it will actually ship is anyone's guess.

This reply was deleted.