GENRE TV

Snowpiercer runs two episodes this week back to back as the season 2 finale. "The Show Must Go On" and "Into the White" run on TNT on March 29. The show skipped last week, which is how we get two episodes this week, but it's been tough on viewers who are concerned about Andre (under arrest) and Melanie (starving in a frozen research station).

The sixth and final season of Supergirl begins on The CW March 30, taking the timeslot vacated by Superman and Lois, which goes on hiatus due to COVID complications. Supergirl will run through May 11; Superman and Lois is scheduled to return on May 18 and finish its freshman season before giving the timeslot back to Supergirl.

Resident Alien ends its first season with "Heroes of Patience" (Syfy, March 31). Given how the previous episode ended, I'm really curious to see how Harry will deal with D'arcy's discovery. It has been renewed for a second season.

The Manifest returns with its season 3 premiere episode "Tailfin" at NBC on April 1. I confess I've never watched this one.

AMC's The Walking Dead airs the sixth and final episode of its "extended" season 10 on April 4 with “Here’s Negan.” If you've read the comic book of the same name, you know what to expect. Next Sunday, April 11, will see the premiere of the second half of season 6 of Fear the Walking Dead in that timeslot.

GENRE MOVIES

Godzilla vs. Kong (Theaters/HBO Max, March 31)

When titans clash! I didn't know until I saw it in a commercial how thrilled I would to see Kong delivering a roundhouse right to Godzilla. Who knew giant gorillas can box? Who knew gigantic lizards and monkeys have "an ancient rivalry"? The trailers for this film have awakened the 12-year-old within, and he keeps asking me "Is it here yet?"

The star-studded human cast includes Millie Bobby Brown (Stranger Things, Enola Holmes), Danai Gurira (The Walking Dead, Black Panther) and Alexander Skarsgard (Legend of Tarzan, The Stand).

THE CAPTAIN'S TOP PICKS

A Sister OGN

Ablaze | 216 pages | $24.99

Writer/Art/Cover: Bastien Vivès

In this coming-of-age story, teenage Antoine and younger brother Titi are on holiday with their parents at the beach. They tend to spend their time drawing — boy, that sounds familiar — until the family is joined by Hélène and her mother.

This story, according to the advance material, "conveys the stumbling awakenings of adolescent feelings." It's been a long time since my adolescent feelings had any awakenings, stumbling or otherwise, and as I recall adolescence was mostly maddening. But I am charmed by the clear, uncluttered art in the preview below, as well as the European ambience.

Naturally, A Sister has already been optioned for a movie. What hasn't?

Adler Vol 1 TPB

Titan Comics | 56 pages | $16.99 / £13.99

Writer: Lavie Tidhar | Art: Paul McCaffrey

I was privileged to see an advance review copy, and enjoyed Adler immensely.

The central conceit is The League of Extraordinary Gentlewomen, in that Tidhar plucks various female characters from Victorian literature and throws them together. Our lead is, of course, Irene Adler, referred to by Sherlock Holmes with exasperation as "that woman." This story takes place in the Holmesian London of 1902, although we never see the detective or his boon companion. We do, however, deal with Professor Moriarty and Col. Moran.

Adler is described as an "American adventuress" and is clearly Holmes' equal, given her proclivity for figuring out where you've been recently, what your occupation is and how you've acquired a given scar just by observation. Her Dr. Watson is Jane Eyre, plucked from her 1847 origins and upgraded from nanny to former nurse in the Boer War. They are accompanied by the glamorous Estella Haversham (from Great Expectations) and a little orphan named Annie.

This little band must keep Madame Curie's radium secrets from Ayesha (H. Rider Haggard's She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed) and her sidekick, the vampire Carmilla (from Sheridan Le Fanu's 1872 Gothic novella of the same name). It's a tight, thrilling adventure story, and I love the lush, expressive art, which seems to combine a number of influences, from the Franco-Belgian school to Will Elder.

Also, the book is littered with other Victorian characters. Just about any character given a name is worth the Google search. Which, to me, is a lot of fun.

Avengers: Curse of the Man-Thing #1

Marvel Comics | Parental Advisory | $4.99

Writer: Steve Orlando / Art: Francesco Mobili / Cover: Daniel Acuña / Variant: Patrick Gleason 

It's the 50th anniversary of the Man-Thing, and Marvel is celebrating by returning the character to his own, eponymous, ongoing title!

No, that's not true. Man-Thing has never been a big seller. Instead, he's the basis of a storyline running through this book, followed by Spider-Man: Curse of the Man-Thing in April and concluding in X-Men: Curse of the Man-Thing in May.

The premise is that fear-driven fires ("Whatever Knows Fear Burns at the Touch of the Man-Thing") are breaking out all over, and various heroes rise to deal with the root (ha ha) cause, which is Man-Thing. Well, maybe. The solicits do say that the monster is "under new management," so it may not be the former Ted Sallis at the wheel.

One highlight will be the "Dark Riders," a group of the more monstrous mutants. They include Marrow, Forearm, Shark-Girl, Wolf Cub and one I've never heard of, Mammomax.

The Batman’s Grave: The Complete Collection HC

DC Comics | Teen | $39.99 | 296 Pages

Writer: Warren Ellis | Art by Bryan Hitch, Kevin Nowlan | Cover by Bryan Hitch

This hardcover collects the 12-issue maxiseries of the same name, and I'm not clear from the description what it's really about. Batman has to imagine what it's like to be a corpse without dying, or something?

Anyway, it's written by Warren Ellis, whose work I've always enjoyed. Well, until the #MeToo charges started flying. So I might as well do my best to separate art from artist and read this one, because it's likely the last comics we're going to see from Ellis for some time to come.

Beta Ray Bill #1 (of 5)

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Writer/Art/Cover: Daniel Warren Johnson | Colors by Mike Spicer

I've never been a big fan of Beta Ray Bill, although I imagine some reading this are. I don't mean to offend, but as a youth, I was always put off by characters who simply copied other characters without bringing anything new to the table. From Batgirl to Nubia to Beta Ray Bill, my attitude was "I'd rather read about the original, thanks."

Now, many copycat characters grow from their initial presentation into something unique — in fact, all three of my examples did. I'm still not a huge Bill fan, but I'm curious about this story, the next step in his evolution.

For the record, Bill is in search of a new weapon (Stormbreaker has been destroyed), and in at least one issue battles a Knullified Fin Fang Foom. OK, Marvel, ya got me. I do love me some Fin Fang Foom.

Biden’s Titans #1

Keenspot Entertainment | $4.99

Writer: John Barron | Art: Shawn Remulac | Cover: Ryan Odagawa

Keenspot adapted Donald Trump and his entourage in a similar title in 2017, so it's only right and proper they do the same for the other team this year. I won't be reading Biden's Titans any more than I read Trump's Titans, but it's weird enough to deserve mention.

It comes with multiple covers, so the version you see may not be the one above, which is a Giant-Size X-Men #1 homage.

Cinema Purgatorio Collection

Writer: Alan Moore | Art: Kevin O'Neill

The last time Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill worked together we got The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, so I have high hopes for this book, which I have trade-waited for 18 issues.

If I'm understanding the literature correctly, each issue homaged a different cinematic genre, but all of them intertwined in some way. Sounds cool.

Not that it matters — Moore comics are so rare that I'll buy them regardless of premise.

The Flash #768

DC Comics | Teen | $4.99

Writer: Jeremy Adams / Art: Brandon Peterson

All the advance information indicates that Wally West will be the Flash of the title going forward, but Barry's still around for this, the first issue since the Infinite Frontier soft reboot. Don't worry, Wally fans — if DC's information can be trusted, Barry will be off mapping the Multiverse soon.

Anyway, this is Wally's second go-round as "main Flash" of the DCU, but a lot of water's gone under the bridge since then. For some reason, DC writers love to torture Wally, and since his first run (heh heh) as Flash he's lost his family, been trapped in the Speed Force and forgotten, gone crazy and killed Roy Harper (and some others that didn't stick), been the repository of Dr. Manhattan's powers (which wasn't as cool as it sounds), sat on the Mobius Chair and probably some other disasters I've forgotten.

Everybody seems chill with Wally killing Roy, but I can't believe they'll let that one go.

Green Arrow: 80 Years of the Emerald Archer the Deluxe Edition

DC Comics | Teen | $29.99

Looks like this book will have all of Ollie's origins and one story each representing the different folks who have called themselves Green Arrow. That's kind of what I like about these big retrospectives — I've usually read all the stories before, but it's fun to see them juxtaposed so I can order the various versions in my head.

Green Arrow: 80 Years of the Emerald Archer the Deluxe Edition collects More Fun Comics #73, Adventure Comics #246 and #259, Green Lantern #85 and #86, Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters #1, Green Arrow #100-101 (1994), JLA #8-9, Green Arrow #1, #17, and #75 (2001), Green Arrow and Black Canary #4, Secret Origins #4 (2014), Arrow: Season 2.5 #1, and Green Arrow: Rebirth #1.

Marvel Action Spider-Man #1

IDW | 32 pages | $3.99

Writers: Sarah Graley, Stef Purenins | Art/Cover: Philip Murphy

If you have kiddos in the house, these IDW books aimed at younger readers are a good way to keep them entertained while helping them learn to read as well.

Shadecraft #1

Image | $3.99

Writer: Joe Henderson | Art/Cover: Antonio Fabela | Art/Colors: Lee Garbett

I read the first issue and enjoyed it. It wasn't Watchmen, but it's a solid book in both writing and art.

Zadie Lu (the lead) lives in a small town where the shadows seem to be coming to life, and it all seems centered on her. She's a teen and a bit confused and frustrated by life, but she's plucky and will probably grow into someone formidable.

Silk #1 (of 5)

Marvel | Teen /$3.99

Writer: Maurene Goo | Art: Takeshi Miyazawa | Cover: Stonehouse

I confess to never having read a book starring Cindy Moon, a Korean-American girl who was also bitten by the radioactive spider back in Amazing Fantasy #15. It isn't lack of interest as much as the belief that she'll never be much more than a B-level character. But who knows? Maybe this will be her breakout series.

Evidently, Cindy's going to be an investigative reporter for J. Jonah Jameson's "Threats & Menaces." That's another thing I've never read about, as I don't read Amazing Spider-Man on the regular, either.

Anyway, the chances are good I'll never read this one, either. But I'm sure for some of you out there it's the book you've been waiting for.

Warrior Nun Dora Vol 1

Writer: Pat Shand | Art/Cover: Daniel Gete

No, that's not the Infinity Gauntlet, although I sure did a double-take. This book collects the latest Warrior Nun miniseries, one starring new character Dora. Since many of us are watching the TV show (including me), it's worth a mention.

Witchblood #1

Vault Comics | $3.99

Writer: Matthew Erman |  Art: Lisa Sterle / Color: Gab Contreras | Cover A: Lisa Sterle | Cover B: Lisa Sterle | Cover C: Tim Daniel, Nathan Gooden | Cover D: 1:15 Yoshi Yoshitani | Cover E: 1:30 virgin variant Yoshi Yoshitani | Cover F: 1:50 deluxe foil variant Yoshi Yoshitani

Vault describes this book as "a neon-soaked supernatural battle fantasy road trip adventure," which sounds terrific without really telling us anything. But this we do know: The lead character is a witch named Yonna, who is on the run throughout the southwest U.S. from vampire bikers named The Hounds of Love. The bikers want Yonna and the rest of her scattered coven for their blood (hence the title), which is the source of all magic.

Sounds interesting.

ALL COMICS

86 Eighty Six Vol 2 GN

A Sister GN

Adler Vol 1 TPB

Ascendance of a Bookworm Vol 4 Part 1

Avengers Academy Complete Collection Vol 3 TPB

Avengers by Hickman Complete Collection Vol 4 TPB

Avengers: Curse of the Man-Thing #1

Ballad of American Graphic Biography Paul Robeson

Bandette Vol 2: Stealers Keepers TPB

Batman/Catwoman #4

The Batman’s Grave: The Complete Collection

Battle Book Vol 1 (of 3) GN

Beta Ray Bill #1 (of 5)

Betty & Veronica Jumbo Comics Digest #292

Biden’s Titans #1

Black Cat #4

Black of Heart #5 (of 5)

Blood on the Tracks Vol 5 GN

Bungo Stray Dogs Vol 18 GN

Byte Sized #4

Cagaster Vol 5 GN

Can’t Stop Cursing You Vol 1 GN

Captain America #28

Carole & Tuesday Vol 2 GN

Cinema Purgatorio Collection

Claim Song of Ire and Vice #4 (of 4)

Coaraptor one-shot #3 Kaiju of the Wind

Courier Liberty & Death #3 (of 3)

Crossover #4 2nd Ptg

Crossover #5

Cult of Dracula #1 (of 6)

Damned: Cursed Children #3 (of 5)

Dead End Kids Suburban Job #3 (of 4)

Decorum #7

Department of Truth #2 3rd Ptg

Department of Truth #3 3rd Ptg

Department of Truth #6 2nd Ptg

Destiny NY #1

Disney Princess: Beyond the Extraordinary TPB

Dog Man Vol 10: Mothering Heights GN

Don’t Toy with Me Miss Nagatoro Vol 6 GN

Dragon Age: Dark Fortress #1 (of 3)

EC Archives: Shock Illustrated HC

Edgar Allan Poe`s Snifter of Blood #6

Eighth Immortal #3 (of 4)

Era of Great Wonders #4 (of 6)

Faceache TPB

Fantastic Four: Antithesis Treasury Edition TPB

Fiancee of the Wizard Vol 3 GN

Firefly #27

Firefly: Blue Sun Rising #0

Flaming Cerebus Comics one-shot

The Flash #768

Fleetway Picture Library: Pirate Tales

Fleetway Picture Library: Westerns

Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #3

Giga #3

Goblin Slayer Side Story II Dai Katana Vol 1 GN

God Mode #3

Green Arrow: 80 Years of the Emerald Archer the Deluxe Edition

Grimm Fairy Tales #47

Grit TPB

Gunnerkrigg Court Vol 7 TPB

Haruhiko Mikimoto Character Design Archives Updated English

Hazards of Love

Heaven’s Design Team Vol 4 GN

Hollow TPB

Horror Comics: Black And White #2 (of 3)

I Breathed a Body #3

I Like to Read Comics:  A Giant Mess GN

I Like to Read Comics:  Spring Cakes GN

I Shall Survive Using Potions Vol 3 GN

I’m Great Priest Imhotep Vol 8 GN

Infinite Dendrogram Omnibus Vol 2 GN

Jimbo: Adventures in Paradise GN

John Constantine, Hellblazer Vol. 2: The Best Version of You

Journal of My Father HC

Justice League Odyssey Vol. 4: Last Stand

Kaiju Girl Caramelise Vol 04 GN

Karneval Vol 11 GN

Killadelphia Vol 2 TPB

Kingdoms of Ruin Vol 2 GN

King in Black: Ghost Rider #1

King in Black: Return of the Valkyries #4 (of 4)

Korgi Vol 5 (of 5): End of Seasons TPB

Lady Death: Malevolent Decimation #1 (of 2)

Laughing Under the Clouds Vol 1 GN

Lincoln Brigade TPB

Living with Mochi TPB

Loud House Vol 12 Case Stolen Drawers HC

Love Mom & 2 Hit Multi Target Attacks Vol 4 GN

Love of Kill Vol 1 GN

Lust Geass Vol 3 GN

Magical Girl Site Vol 14 GN

Mann’s World #3

Marvel Action Spider-Man #1

Marvel Comics in the 1970s Expanded Edition TPB

Max Meow Cat Crusader Vol 02 Donuts and Danger GN

Menopause Comic Treatment GN

Minecraft Inspired Misadv Frigiel & Fluffy Vol 2 HC

Mirka Andolfo’s Unsacred Vol 2 #5

Moon Maid: Three Keys #2

My Little Pony/Transformers:  Friendship in Disguise TPB

Night Hunters #1 (of 4) 2nd Ptg

Nocterra #1 2nd Ptg

Nuclear Family #2

Nurse Hitomi’s Monster Infirmary Vol 12 GN

Orient Vol 2 GN

The Other History of the DC Universe #3

Our Not So Lonely Planet Travel Guide Vol 1 GN

Phantom: The Complete Dailies Vol 21 1968-1970 HC

Phoebe & Her Unicorn Vol 13 Unicorn Famous GN

Power Rangers Unlimited: Heir to Darkness #1

Quintessential Quintuplets Vol 13 GN

Reborn as a Polar Bear: Legend of How Forest Guardian Vol 5 GN

Redneck #30

Riptide Draken TPB

Sacred Decay: Art of Lauren Marx HC

Save It for Later Promises Parenthood Urgency Protest GN

School Frozen in Time Vol 1 GN

Sea of Sorrows #4 (of 5)

Secrets of Camp Whatever

Sensational Wonder Woman #13 (digital)

Serpieri Eros Bilingual Collection

Shadecraft #1

Shadow Service #6

Shang-Chi by Gene Luen Yang Vol 1: Brothers And Sisters TPB

Shang-Chi: Earth’s Mightiest Martial Artist TPB

Silk #1 (of 5)

Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie Vol 3 GN

Sonic the Hedgehog Vol 8: Out of the Blue TPB

Spaced Out one-shot

Spawn #316

Star Wars High Republic #2 3rd Ptg

Star Wars High Republic #3 2nd Ptg

Stig and Tilde Vol 3: Loser Squad GN

Strange Adventures #9

Stranger Things Vol 4: Science Camp TPB

Strawberry Fields Once Again Vol 2 GN

Symbiote Spider-Man: King in Black #5 (of 5)

Terminal Punks #5 (of 5)

That Time I Reincarnated as a Slime Monster Vol 4: Nation GN

TMNT: The Last Ronin #2 (of 5) 2nd Ptg

Touching Evil #14

Transformers #28

Transformers IDW Collection Vol 2 HC New Ptg

Trial of the Wizard King Book Two TPB

Two Moons #1 2nd Ptg

Two Moons #2

The Union #4 (of 5)

US Agent #4 (of 5)

Usagi Yojimbo Saga Vol 9 HC

Usagi Yojimbo: Wanderer’s Road #5 (of 6)

Vampire & His Pleasant Companions Vol 2 GN

Van Helsing Black Annis one-shot

Vengeance of Vampirella #16

Wahcommo HC

Warcorn’s Combat Unicorns for Hire #3 (of 4)

Warrior Nun Dora Vol 1 TPB

When a Magician’s Pupil Smiles GN

Wildflowers HC

Witch Part 7 Vol. 3: New Power GN

Witchblood #1

Witcher: Fading Memories #4 (of 4)

Wizards of Mickey Vol 2 GN         $16.00

World of Archie Vol 2 TPB

X-Men #19

X-Men Legends #2

Young Hellboy: The Hidden Land #2 (of 4)

Yuuna & Haunted Hot Springs Vol 13 GN

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –