This week in Comics: May 2-8, 2022

ALSO THIS WEEK

BOOM! STUDIOS

DUNE: THE WATERS OF KANLY #1

Story: Brian Herbet, Kevin J. Anderson | Art: Francesco Mortarino | Covers: Christian Ward, Massimo Carnevale, Junggeun Yoon, InHyuk Lee | $4.99

BOOM! Studios today revealed a first look at DUNE: THE WATERS OF KANLY #1, the premier issue of a brand new four-issue comic book series expanding the rich mythology of Frank Herbert’s Dune, adapted & scripted by New York Times bestselling authors Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, illustrated by artist Francesco Mortarino (Power Rangers), colored by Raúl Angulo (Go Go Power Rangers), and lettered by Ed Dukeshire (Once & Future), in partnership with Herbert Properties LLC and in full coordination with Abrams ComicArts, who published the first of a trilogy of graphic novel adaptations of Herbert’s original classic novel DUNE in Fall 2020.

Go deeper into the Dune universe with this lore-expanding story set during the events of the Frank Herbert classic! In the aftermath of the battle of Arrakeen, legendary House Atreides warmaster Gurney Halleck takes refuge with spice smugglers, vowing revenge against the Harkonnens no matter the cost.

Created by visionary writer Frank Herbert, Dune debuted in 1965, has sold millions of copies and is arguably the most admired science fiction novel of all time. After winning the Hugo Award and inaugural Nebula Award, Dune inspired a best-selling novel series and led to multiple live-action adaptations, including the upcoming feature film from Legendary Pictures. The influence of Dune extends well beyond the world of entertainment, with an incalculable influence on modern scientific thinking about politics, religion, outer space, environmentalism, and more.

• First issue

JIM HENSON'S STORYTELLER: SHAPESHIFTERS #3

MAGIC THE GATHERING #14

ONCE & FUTURE #25

DARK HORSE COMICS

Story: Corinna Bechko | Art: Beni Lobel | Cover: Mark Molchan | $4.99

Dark Horse Comics, in collaboration with Lightstorm Entertainment and 20th Century Studios, presents a new tale from James Cameron’s Avatar, exploring humanity’s early years on Pandora! Written by Eisner and Hugo-nominated author Corinna Bechko (Lara Croft and the Frozen Omen, Invisible Republic), illustrated by Beni R. Lobel (Constantine, Voltron), colored by Wes Dzioba (Avatar: Tsu’tey’s Path, Ghost), and lettered by Michael Heisler (Tomb Raider, Mass Effect: Foundation), Avatar: Adapt or Die follows the heroine Dr. Grace Augustine as she becomes caught between two worlds!

Decades into the advent of the Avatar program on Pandora, pressure to bridge the divide between human and Na’vi has hit a peak. As an ally of the Omatikaya clan, Dr. Grace Augustine begins negotiations to open a school for Na’vi children, but her plans for peace, hope, and unity could trigger an unprecedented disaster — one afflicting the most vulnerable and protected of Na’vi.

• First issue.
  • Still not interested in the movie.

CRIMINAL MACABRE: THE COMPLETE CAL MCDONALD STORIES TPB (2ND ED)

• Prose

DAPPLED DAYDREAMS: THE ART OF CAMILLA D ERRICO HC

Story/Art/Cover: Camilla D'Errico | $29.99

The breathtaking figures of Camilla d'Errico return in a new hardcover volume! Magnetic and surreal, d'Errico's arresting subjects, their piercing eyes and dynamic colors, are often juxtaposed with the cute, creepy, bizarre, and the otherworldly.

This collection features d'Errico's recent artwork, including pieces from her sensational gallery shows "Submerged," "Sky" and "Zodiac." An accomplished painter, illustrator, and comic book artist as well as designer of custom toys, clothing, accessories, and more, d'Errico showcases her perpetually stunning pop surrealist style in all its glory.

• I'm not familiar with this artist, but that cover is very nice.

JOYAMA VOLS 1-2 TPB

Story/Art/Cover: Daniel Isles | $19.99

Dark Horse Books is thrilled to present the first two volumes of a genre-bending sci-fi trilogy Joyama! Illustrator and comic artist Daniel Isles (also known by his pen name DirtyRobot) crafts an immersive experience through the intricate city of Joyama, introducing eclectic characters and exploring the futuristic architecture of a densely populated metropolitan, while weaving a stylish fast-paced action-packed story of mystery and excitement.     

In Joyama Volume 1, a recently closed case has been reopened following a high-level assassination, but this was no ordinary takedown.

Long-time friends Ringo, Arwen and Silas are members of an elite squad known as the Outrider Soldiers, a team of ambitious individuals contracted by prestigious clients and government officials to shake down organized crime. After receiving intel on the hit, a recently closed case is reopened. With ties to the most notorious crime syndicates and influential figures in the city, the conspiracy surrounding the case deepens and the danger intensifies. Is the case worth their freedom, their relationships, their lives? Or could there be something more worth pursuing — an ordinary life, peace ... love?

And in Joyama Volume 2, tension is rising in the city and a highly anticipated tournament could see it all erupt.

Two houses are on the brink of war as coordinated attacks are carried out throughout the city — hitting the sacred heritage sites of the Royal House. With a legendary tournament set to begin, the city’s on alert, and all eyes are on the House of Vipers — those suspected of committing the violent acts. Meanwhile, Rubi has made a new home for herself living with Ringo — she’s officially an Outrider assistant with a few missions under her belt and now, tough as nails. But Ringo seems to have only two things on his mind — exacting revenge on Black Cotton, and envisioning all that could have been with his love, Arwen. With Ringo’s squad left scarce, a new member joins the team — one unlike any other! Amid the clamor of the upcoming tournament, the city in unrest, and Viper activity at the border, the Outriders soon discover this alleged feud goes deeper than a house rivalry.

“This book is truly a passion project and I hope for readers to become so immersed they feel as though they themselves are residents of Joyama. This melting pot of madness, emotion and love.” — Daniel Isles

• OGN

MOB PSYCHO 100 VOL 8 TPB

SIN CITY VOL 4: THAT YELLOW BASTARD (4TH ED)

STONE KING TPB

DC COMICS

BATMAN #123

BATMAN BEYOND NEO-YEAR #2 (OF 6)

BATMAN: KILLING TIME #3 (OF 6)

BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT DETECTIVE VOL 6 TPB

DC ONE MILLION OMNNIBUS HC

EARTH-PRIME #3 (OF 6)

FCBD 2022 DARK CRISIS SPECIAL EDITION #0

FCBD 2022 DC LEAGUE OF SUPER-PETS #1

FLASHPOINT BEYOND #1 (OF 6)

Story: Geoff Johns, Jeremy Adams, And Tim Sheridan | Art: Xermánico | Covers: Mitch Gerads, Xermánico, Gary Frank, Todd Nauck | 32 pages | $4.99, Variant $5.99

Starting with issue #1 on April 19, Johns will share writing duties with Jeremy Adams (THE FLASH) and Tim Sheridan (SHAZAM) and artwork from XERMÁNICO (INFINITE FRONTIER) with a new issue coming out every two weeks.

“This is something that, as a fan, I’ve been waiting for a long time — a return to the world of Flashpoint,” said Sheridan. “The fact that I’ve gotten to be a small part of that return is just about the coolest thing that’s ever happened to me and getting to be associated with Geoff, Jeremy, Eduardo, Xermánico and a team that's put their whole hearts into this, has made it no less than surreal. I can’t wait for people to see these pages!”

“It’s been a privilege, and incredible learning experience, to work with these talented writers, artists, inkers, letterers, colorists and editors for this series,” said Adams. “Talking story and character has been eye-opening, and the lessons will undoubtedly color everything I do from now on. I’m beyond excited that DC fans will get to go back to the Flashpoint Universe and experience a grounded mystery that will evoke serious philosophical questions while tugging at your heartstrings.”

In FLASHPOINT BEYOND #1 Batman’s hunt for the Clockwork Killer brings him to Europe and face to face with the mad king, Aquaman. On the eve of Aquaman’s sinking of London, Batman infiltrates his stronghold and goes on the warpath for answers. Nothing matters to Batman, whose world is already dead, but if he can track down the Clockwork Killer, Thomas can save his son’s world and put everything back together again.

• Technically not a first issue — that would be Flashpoint Beyond #0 a couple of weeks ago — but still worth a mention.

HARDWARE SEASON ONE #5

Story: Brandon Thomas | Art: Denys Cowan, Bill Sienkiewicz | Covers: Mateus Manhanini, Edwin Galman | $3.99

Out of the frying pan and into the fire! Curtis Metcalf returns to Dakota with a bounty on his head and Reprise is looking to collect! But what chance does Hardware have against a man who can make an army of himself at a moment’s notice?

• Does this cover construction seem familiar to anyone else? I went through various X-Factor series covers (looking for Multiple Man), and Blue Beetle (looking for the Madmen), but didn't find it. Could be Lobo (he can multiply) or even Spider-Man (the central figure seems to have spider-sense). Or maybe it's not an homage at all, and my brain is playing tricks on me.

MONKEY PRINCE #4 (OF 12)

NUBIA CORONATION SPECIAL #1

Story: Stephanie Williams, Vita Ayala | Art: Various | Cover: David Mack, Joshua Sway Swaby | $5.99

Art by Marguerite Sauvage, Darryl Banks, Jill Thompson, Alitha Martinez, Nikolas Draper-Ivey, Becky Cloonan and More After the events of Trial of the Amazons, a new era for these warriors has dawned. Amazons from around the world have come to Themyscira to witness history and the crowning of their new leader. She stood between Man’s World and the dangers of Doom’s Doorway for centuries; when she was called upon to serve her people, she stood strong and clear-eyed, unafraid to look certain death in the face; she has united peoples on the brink of war... All hail Queen Nubia, champion of the three tribes! Join us for an awe-inspiring special celebrating the mysterious past, thrilling present, and promising future of the character. And for the first time, Nubia’s origin will be revealed! You won’t want to miss this moment in Wonder Woman history that is certain to influence stories for years to come!

• I'm guessing Rhianna photo reference for that bottom cover.

ONE-STAR SQUADRON #6 (OF 6)

SANDMAN BOOK 3 TPB

SUICIDE SQUAD #15

TAILS OF THE SUPER-PETS TPB

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Curt Swan, Stan Kaye | $19.99

In this charming collection of classic tales from the Silver Age of comics, meet Krypto the Superdog, Streaky the Supercat, Ace the Bat-Hound, and more! Collects stories from Action Comics #261, #266, #277, #292 and #293; Batman #125; Adventure Comics #210, #256, #293, #322, and #364; Superman #176; Wonder Woman #23; and Superboy #76.

• Love me some Super-Pets! I've probably read all the stories in this book, but might get it anyway just to have them all in one place.
  • Man, I miss Curt Swan.

TASK FORCE Z #7

WORLD OF KRYPTON #6 (OF 6)

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

It looks like Dynamite is taking advantage of FCBD by releasing a bunch of introductory reprints:

AOD VS REANIMATOR

BOYS #7

BOYS HEROGASM #1

PROJECT SUPERPOWERS: FRACTURED STATES #1

• (Actually a delayed variant)

VAMPIRELLA: BLOOD LUST #1 FACSIMILE EDITION

VAMPIRELLA/DRACULA UNHOLY #1

Here are the regular releases:

DIE!NAMITE NEVER DIES #3

PROJECT SUPERPOWERS: FRACTURED STATES #2

RED SONJA: RED SITHA #1

Story: Mirka Andolfo | Art: Valentina Pinti | Covers: Junggeun Yoon, Mirka Andolfo, Paulina Ganucheau, Valentina Pinti, Cosplay | Teen+ | 32 pages | $3.99

BEHOLD ... THE DAUGHTER OF FIRE.

Once possessed by Xamul, the spirit of the flame that possessed her, Sitha The Red has chosen to follow the path of the sword, inspired by the courage of her adopted mother, RED SONJA. Ten years have gone by, and Sitha is a young bounty hunter, always on the trail of the most dangerous criminals in the kingdom of Aquilonia! Until one day, someone returns from her past to involve her in a mission bordering on suicide ...

• First issue

VAMPIRELLA/DRACULA UNHOLY #5

IDW PUBLISHING

RICHARD STARK'S PARKER: THE MARTINI EDITION — LAST CALL HC

• Reprints two of the four Darwyn Cooke books.

ROCKETEER: THE GREAT RACE #2

STAR TREK DISCOVERY: ADVENTURES IN THE 32ND CENTURY #3

STAR TREK: MIRROR WAR #6

THE TOWER TPB

Story: Benoit Peeters | Art/Cover: Francois Schuiten | $19.99

Masterful fantasy comes alive as the fifth release in Alaxis Press' The Obscure Cities series brings the award-winning graphic novels to readers in English with an all-new translation!

Giovanni Batista is a third-class maintainer of the Tower. His section is deteriorating more and more by the day and he has not heard from any of his inspectors or fellow maintainers in months. He makes the decision to go to the base office to file a complaint. While using his chute, he ends up somewhere even higher than his level. He meets Ellias Aureolus Palingenius and the lovely Milena. Together with Milena, he tries to figure out the purpose of the Tower and finally decides to climb to the top.

The Tower, presented in this new edition, is a fabulous story for the exploration of a deliquescent world, an epic fable to the dimensions of world-building, a fantastic escape full of paradoxes, simulacra, and pretense. Magnificent mastery, invention, and poetry, this is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful jewels of the exciting saga of the OBSCURE CITIES.

• OGN

TMNT ONGOING #128

TRANSFORMERS: BEST OF HOT ROD #1 ONE-SHOT

• Reprints Hot Shot-centric Transformers stories.

IMAGE COMICS

DEADLY CLASS #52

FIRE POWER BY KIRKMAN & SAMNEE #20

Story: Robert Kirkman | Art: Chris Samnee & Matthew Wilson | Covers: Chris Samnee, Jim Cheung & Jay Ramos, David Finch & Dave McCaig, Kim Jung Gi &colorist Pyeongjun Park. 

Today Image/Skybound unveiled a vibrant first look at Fire Power by Kirkman & Samnee #20, from the star-studded team of writer Robert Kirkman, artist Chris Samnee, colorist Matthew Wilson and letterer Rus Wooton. Fire Power #20 follows the shocking revelation in issue #19 that another Johnson family member wields the Fire Power, which may be a fortunate development now that there’s a giant dragon in the picture.

Old friends, new allies — the fight against Master Shaw is heating up and Owen will need all the help he can get.

• Who doesn't love a good dragon?

FRONTIERSMAN LOCKUP SPECIAL ONE-SHOT

LITTLE MONSTERS #3

LOADED BIBLE: BLOOD OF MY BLOOD #3

MANIFEST DESTINY #46

METAL SOCIETY #1

Story: Zack Kaplan | Art/Cover: Guilherme Balbi, Marco Lesko | Covers:  Guilherme Balbi, Qistina Khalidah, Alan Quah, Mateus Manhanni, Fernando Blanco, Marc Silvestri | $3.99

In a future world of robots, extinct humans have been brought back to life — but will they earn their place in society, or will have to fight for it? The forthcoming Image/Top Cow sci-fi mini series — Metal Society by Zack Kaplan (Port of Earth, Eclipse), Guilherme Balbi, Marco Lesko, and Troy Peteri — explores just that with a side of MMA-Style sport fights.

In Metal Society, the creators take readers on an inverted future, where evolved robots resurrect humans for manual labor. But, a tribalistic cultural clash breaks out, causing a fearless human fighter and a frustrated, displaced robot to square off in a public fight of epic stakes. 

“While our own technology, our politics, and our world are changing faster than ever, sadly our society seems to be responding with aggression and hostility. We’re resorting to tribalism and we’re allowing our differences to be aired out publicly for entertainment value," said Kaplan. "I’ve always been inspired by great robot stories that remind us of our own experience, and I thought that by exploring this Rocky-style fight drama in a futuristic robot-ruled world — this charged robot vs human culture clash, and the 'human' fighters that get pulled into these public battles — we might just learn something about our own humanity and our social conflicts today.”

Paired with newcomer artist Guilherme Balbi, they created a rich world in which readers can suspend disbelief and put themselves into the story. Balbi commented, "Creating a new world is always a big challenge, and even getting bigger because everything with 'robots' is even more difficult, but that's exactly what makes this world so special. There are many details, wires, and many, many gears. I try to get a lot of inspiration from movies and references, and mix with the things I like. Understanding Zack's vision for this project was very important to take another step in my growth as an artist, but in this work I took flight."

Kaplan added: “I'm thrilled to be doing another hard sci-fi series with Top Cow, and if you are not familiar with impressive artist newcomer Guilherme Balbi and incredibly talented colorist Marco Lesko, well, get ready, because they are an awe-inspiring duo that just energizes and brings life to each and every page of this comic."

"Zack Kaplan is one of my favorite writers to work with," said Matt Hawkins of Colossus and Think Tank and President at Top Cow. "And this is, in my humble opinion, his best work yet. Metal Society, artificial intelligence, robots ... what more could you want?"

• I know it's sci-fi and I should suspend disbelief, but ... I have to wonder what sort of society that has succeeded an extinct human race would want to resurrect us? Our history is one of greed, selfishness, violence, arrogance, aggression and virulent, unfounded hatred. As for manual labor, we're also incredibly lazy, so you would be better served with a donkey.
  • Here's a trailer.

MIRKA ANDOLFO'S SWEET PAPRIKA #9

MONKEY MEAT #5

RADIANT BLACK #14

RIGHTEOUS THIRST FOR VENGEANCE #7

SPAWN: SCORCHED #5

TWIG #1

Story: Skottie Young | Art: Kyle Strahm | Covers: Kyle Strahm, SKottie Young,  Peach Momoko | $3.99

SERIES PREMIERE

Eisner Award-winning I HATE FAIRYLAND and MIDDLEWEST writer SKOTTIE YOUNG and artist KYLE STRAHM (SPREAD, UNEARTH) come together for an all-new epic fantasy/adventure miniseries!

It's the first day of Twig's new job as a journeyer on a JEFF SMITH's Bone-esque quest to save a The Dark Crystal/Labyrinth-style world. Join our hesitant hero for an inspiring and imaginative tale of hope, heartache, and determination to overcome insurmountable odds!

Eisner Award-winning I Hate Fairyland and Middlewest writer Skottie Young and artist Kyle Strahm (Spread, Unearth) come together for an all-new epic fantasy/adventure called Twig. This five-issue miniseries is set to launch from Image Comics in May.

“Kyle and I both grew up in the age of Fantasy movies filled with all kinds of critters, creature, and unlikely heroes on epic quests," said Young in an exclusive on the announcement at ComicBook.com. "This is our love letter to that time, which we’ve never really left!”

Strahm added: "Skottie and I have built a world where sunny landscapes hide creepy dark corners. Every environment Twig travels is a character all its own. And each strange new friend may not be so friendly!"

• First issue

WALKING DEAD DELUXE #38

MARVEL COMICS

ANNIHILATION OMNIBUS HC

AVENGERS FOREVER #5

BEN REILLY SPIDER-MAN #4

BLACK PANTHER LEGENDS #4

DEFENDERS: THERE ARE NO RULES TPB

ELEKTRA: BLACK, WHITE & BLOOD #4

GHOST RIDER EPIC COLLECTION: HELL ON WHEELS TPB

GIANT-SIZE X-MEN: THUNDERBIRD #1

Story: Nyla Rose & Steve Orlando | Art: David Cutler | Covers: Ken Lashley, David Cutler | Teen+ | $4.99

In yesterday’s dramatic conclusion of Leah Williams and Lucas Werneck’s X-MEN: TRIAL OF MAGNETO limited series, fans witnessed the stunning resurrection of a legendary hero in the X-Men mythos — John Proudstar AKA Thunderbird! The first X-Man to die in action, Thunderbird’s time on the X-Men may have been brief but his impact was mighty, and now his long-awaited return to the Marvel Universe will be explored this April in GIANT-SIZE X-MEN: THUNDERBIRD #1. This mega-sized one-shot will mark the exciting Marvel Comics debut of All Elite Wrestling superstar Nyla Rose, who will team up with comics star Steve Orlando and First Nations artist David Cutler. Together the trio will grapple with the ramifications of Thunderbird’s recent resurrection while setting him up for a bright future on Krakoa and beyond.

The world John Proudstar has returned to is completely different from the one he once knew. Looking to find refuge in the familiar, Thunderbird seeks out someone from his past at an Apache reservation … and uncovers a horrifying threat to the Indigenous mutant community. Will Thunderbird be able to save his people? Or will his justified rage lead him astray?

“At last, the news is out! GIANT-SIZE X-MEN: THUNDERBIRD is coming, and I couldn't be prouder to be a part of it! But this book wouldn't exist without the incredible work of Nyla Rose and David Cutler, who are joining me on this blockbuster to tell a Thunderbird story that's as raw, real, and riveting as possible,” Orlando said. “With their invaluable help, we're taking Thunderbird on a two-fisted quest to reunite with his family and carve out a place for himself in this brave, new, Krakoan era. The world has changed while Thunderbird was away. The threats might've gotten more complex, but Thunderbird's still sure there's not a problem out there he can't solve with his own two hands.”

• First issue
  • When John Proudstar was resurrected, he visited his brother James, who is now Thunderbird, and told him he was doing a great job and to  keep the name. But John is still Thunderbird here, so I guess we'll just have two of them now.
  • I do have to question the new costume's color scheme, though. Teal? Really? Is it the 1990s again?

INCREDIBLE HULK EPIC COLLECTION: CROSSROADS TPB

IRON MAN #19

JANE FOSTER: SAGA OF MIGHTY THOR TPB

MAESTRO: WORLD WAR M #3

MARAUDERS #2

MIGHTY MMW AVENGERS VOL 2: THE OLD ORDER CHANGETH TPB

MOON KNIGHT BY HUSTON, BENSON, HURWITZ OMNIBUS HC

SPIDER-MAN 2099: EXODUS — ALPHA #1

Story: Steve Orlando | Art: Paul Fry | Cover: Leinil Francis Yu | Teen| $4.99

In 1992, Marvel Comics embarked on its first trip to the dystopian far-future of 2099, and fans discovered a new age of Marvels filled with fascinating takes on their favorite heroes such as the X-Men, the Avengers, and of course, Spider-Man! Presenting a twisted corporate-run society and the inspiring characters who sought to overthrow it, the stories set in Marvel 2099 had a tremendous impact on readers and now 30 years later, SPIDER-MAN 2099: EXODUS will revisit this rich world in a saga that will revolutionize its role in the tapestry that is the Marvel multiverse.

Beginning in May’s SPIDER-MAN 2099: EXODUS — ALPHA #1, this all-new limited series will be written by Steve Orlando and brought to life by an all-star lineup of artists from throughout Marvel comics including Paul Fry, David Wachter, Marco Castiello, Ze Carlos, Alessandro Mircola, and Kim Jacinto. The story will kick off when a Celestial falls to Earth, bringing a glimmer of hope to this broken world. Sensing a chance for real change, fan-favorite hero Spider-Man 2099 will undertake a journey that will bring him into contact with all corners of the Marvel Universe from Asgard to mutantkind! Each issue will shift focus to a new character or team, debuting exciting new characters along the way such as 2099 Winter Soldier, a new version of 2099 Loki, and new members of the 2099 X-Men. Recontextualizing the core elements of the 2099 mythos, Spider-Man’s quest for a better tomorrow will be a perfect entry point for 2099 newcomers and an essential chapter for those who have enjoyed past 2099 adventures!

After fighting battles across the timestream, Miguel O’Hara is at last back defending his present and the world’s future! For Spider-Man 2099, the only thing constant about life in Nueva York is change. So when a cataclysmic crash creates a new Garden of Eden in what was once the American Wastelands, Spider-Man knows exactly what the next atrocity will be. Watch as the mysterious group known as The Cabal plans to set society ablaze and find out which Marvel villain is leading them in SPIDER-MAN 2099: EXODUS — ALPHA #1!

• First issue
  • Honestly, I have no interest in anything with "2099" in the title. But if pressed I'll admit that Miguel O'Hara is probably the best of a bad lot.

SPIDER-MAN 2099: EXODUS #1

Story: Steve Orlando | Art: Dave Wachter | Cover: Ryan Stegman

Then in SPIDER-MAN 2099: EXODUS #1, meet the Winter Soldier of 2099 aka Winter Soldier 13! It’s not just The Cabal who is hungry to control the Garden. Salvaged from the black market as a child, the Winter Soldier — raised on mad science — is bent on vengeance and rebirth. What power will hse find in the Garden and how will she use it?

SPIDER-MAN 2099: EXODUS #2

Story: Steve Orlando | Art: Marco Castiello | Cover: Ryan Stegman

Also coming in May, witness Loki 2099 in SPIDER-MAN 2099: EXODUS #2! The Prince of Lies, last survivor of Asgard’s Ragnarok, sponsored by ALCHEMAX’s Aesir program — is now the Prince of Outcasts. While The Cabal preys upon society’s dregs, Loki schemes to resurrect Asgard on his own terms. But when Loki’s involved, can mischief be far behind? What’s the secret of Loki’s last trick, and how does it affect the future of Asgard and Midgard alike?

“Roving the spinner-racks and trading cards of the early 1990s, the world of 2099 was my first future dystopia, its neon haunted visions of Marvel's future close to my heart. And at the forefront of that future, fighting as anyone with his name always has, for the everyday folks of the future? Miguel O'Hara. Spider-Man 2099. So here, decades later, celebrating the 30th Anniversary of 2099 is a dream come true! And there was never any question who'd be the face of this celebration...your friendly, futuristic Spider-Man!” Orlando said. “And for Miguel, this fight is bigger than ever, since it's his first time going toe to toe with one of Spider-Man's greatest villains. Let's make history together in SPIDER-MAN 2099: EXODUS — and lead the people of 2099 into a new tomorrow!”

“Steve and this incredible lineup of artists not only take you on a whirlwind tour of the Marvel U of 2099, but reveal some stunning secrets and deliver a time-breaking end no fan will want to miss,” Editor Mark Paniccia added.

SPIDEY AND FRIENDS GIVEAWAY SAMPLER #1

Story/Art: Various | 0.25

IT'S SPIDEY TIME!

Just in time for Free Comic Book Day, swing into adventure with Spidey, Ghost-Spider and Miles as they face Green Goblin, Doc Ock, and more! This FREE promotional comic features all new stories from MY FIRST COMIC READER, an easy-to-read comic book that is perfect for young Spidey fans ages 5-7. PLUS: Pages and pages of thrilling interactive activities sure to engage the youngest of Spidey readers! We promise you, kids will LOVE this not-to-be-missed sampler!

• Wasn't this an FCBD offering last year?

SPIRITS OF VENGEANCE: RISE OF THE MIDNIGHT SONS NEW PTG TPB

STAR WARS #23

STAR WARS: HIGH REPUBLIC VOL 3 TPB

STAR WARS LEGENDS: EMPIRE OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

• Do I want this, Star Wars aficionados? I have read none of Marvel's second take on Star Wars (I read the original series) and don't know what the major and/or best books are. I do have the Doctor Aphra omnibus, which I've yet to read.

STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI #1

Story: Christopher Cantwell | Art: Ario Anindito | Cover: Phil Noto | Teen | $3.99

FAST APPROACHES THE ULTIMATE DESTINY OF ONE OF THE JEDI'S MOST RENOWNED MASTERS!

As he spends his final days in the remote deserts of Tatooine, Obi-Wan Kenobi takes time to reflect on — and record — key moments of a heroic life long-lived. Writing in old leather-bound journals from his hermit's hut, Obi-Wan remembers his days as a young Jedi Initiate, his trials as a Padawan, the crucible of Jedi Knighthood and the Clone Wars, and some of the earliest challenges he faced as a true Master of the Force! In this tale, Obi-Wan considers a watershed Youngling adventure he narrowly survived on Coruscant when he was but eight years of age...

This is just the beginning of his Jedi journey!

• First issue
  • This would make a great TV show!

THOR BY JASON AARON COMPLETE COLLECTION VOL 5 TPB

X-MEN LEGENDS VOL 2: MUTANT MAYHEM TPB

MORE FIRST ISSUES

78 MPH #1

Story: Mauro Mantella | Art: Tomas Aira | Cover: German Peralta | Red 5 Comics-Stonebot | Mature | $3.95

Earth is no longer what it used to be. An environmental catastrophe transformed the atmosphere into a large magnifying glass that enhances solar radiation; a nuclear disaster slowed down the speed of rotation of the planet. Anyone that moves slower than 78 miles per hour will not escape from the scorching sun. Only a small group of people was able to survive on this new world by constantly moving in huge rolling city, never stopping.

ARCHER & ARMSTRONG FOREVER #1

Story: Steve Foxe | Art: Marcio Fiorito |  Colors: Alex Guimaraes | Letters: Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou | Covers: Bernard Chang, David Talaski, Dan Hipp, Ro Stein/Ted Brandt | Valiant | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

How far would you go to save your best friend?

ARCHER & ARMSTRONG FOREVER #1 marks the eagerly anticipated return of Valiant Entertainment's fan-favorite and adventurous duo. When the carefree, hard-drinking, and immortal Aram Anni-Padda, a.k.a. Armstrong, seemingly loses his ability to heal from any wound and believes his days as an immortal are finally coming to an end, his young and optimistic best friend Obadiah Archer will travel the world in search of mythical artifacts to save his dear friend.

A buddy comedy adventure with a lot of heart, the new series ARCHER & ARMSTRONG FOREVER is written by Steve Foxe (X-Men '92: House of XCII), illustrated by Marcio Fiorito (Eternals: The 500 Year War), colored by Alex Guimarães (Savage Avengers), and lettered by Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou (The Blue Flame).

The first issue will have a limited 1:250 Burnt Wood Variant Cover, and yes, it really is made from burnt wood. Valiant's ARCHER & ARMSTRONG FOREVER #1 Burnt Wood Cover is a truly unique and remarkable collectible featuring art by series artist Marcio Fiorito. This groundbreaking variant utilizes laser etching technology to brilliantly burn the artwork showcasing the always iconic Aram “Armstrong” Anni-Padda and Obadiah Archer on an authentic wood cover for the debut issue of the series. Pulling out all the stops for such a classic duo is what it means to #StayValiant! This innovative cover is available exclusively to retailers who will receive one Burnt Wood Variant Cover for every 250 copies they order of ARCHER & ARMSTRONG FOREVER #1!

"The bond between Archer and Armstrong is, in my mind, one of the most compelling in all of comics," said Steve. "Action, adventure, comedy, super-gross body horror: there’s no genre Archer and Armstrong can’t steamroll." While ARCHER & ARMSTRONG FOREVER offers a welcome return for Valiant fans, the upcoming comic also serves as a great jumping-on point for new readers to experience the unique dynamic between the two iconic characters. "I can’t wait for returning readers to meet all of our new faces (some of them quite weird, to be honest) and for brand-new fans to discover why Archer and Armstrong are pillars of the Valiant Universe!"

Marcio called his work on ARCHER & ARMSTRONG FOREVER "challenging in the absolute best sense of the word!" The globe-trotting adventure means the artist had the opportunity to bring a wide variety of scenes to life. "ARCHER & ARMSTRONG FOREVER is taking me everywhere as an illustrator and as a reader. Historical references, exotic places, all sorts of mythical creatures... it's the whole enchilada plus the kitchen sink and more!" The title's variety of genres also allowed Marcio to connect with the duo in a meaningful way. "Steve's script swerves from pure drama to belly-aching humor and that's what makes this project so special to me. It is a real pleasure to be working alongside such a great team! I can't wait for the fans to see what's in store for them!"

ARCHER & ARMSTRONG is a passion project for the entire creative team. "As a letterer, one of the best things is opening a script and art and seeing the team throwing page after page of fun at it,” stated Hassan. “That's definitely the vibe after one issue, a globe-trotting action-adventure where I get to bust out ridiculous balloons and sound effects just to keep up with Steve, Marcio, and Alex."

Alex remarked that the team is bringing something new to this fan-favorite duo, both visually and narratively. "Valiant is an amazing place to be and many colorists I admire have been part of this house. As a colorist I couldn't be happier," commented Alex. "It's a new step in everyone's career... and the biggest beneficiaries will be the readers."

BUZZARD AND BONE #1 (OF 4)

Story: Nick Philpott | Art/Covers: Ryan Gutierrez | Source Point Press | Mature | $3.99

Attend the tale of the Hangman's Child. 

Born in the Tug Fork Valley to the warring magickal families, the Bezoars and  Thistledowns, Berk is the child destined to sway the balance of their feud one  way or another.

Lord knows the feud started long ago over a hog and some  infidelity, but now it's become a full-on war. Will Berk, the Child of the Stormed  Rivers, have what it takes to finally end this war? Or will he keep it going on  forever and ever, amen?

DOGS OF LONDON #1

Story: Peter Milligan | Art: Artecida | Cover: Andy Clarke | Aftershock | $4.99

How deep must you bury a body to make sure it doesn't haunt you?

Frank and Terry are about to find out. They were once members of The Dogs, a feared gang who ruled much of London's underworld back in the swinging 60s. They thought they'd escaped their troubled pasts, but the past isn't dead - it's just bashed about a bit and very pissed off. Spanning different times and classes, DOGS OF LONDON is a brutal, bloody tale of violence, love, revenge...and sleeping dogs who refuse to roll over and play dead.

Written by Peter Milligan (X-Force, Hellblazer) and brought to bloody life by Artecida, the Dogs have awoken, and they seek more than mere revenge.

GFT PRESENTS 2022 MAY 4TH COSPLAY PINUP SPECIAL

Story: Dave Franchini   Covers: Igor Vitorino, Derlis Santacruz, Michael Dooney | Zenescope | $5.99

Get ready to check out all of your favorite Grimm Universe heroines and villainesses cosplaying as some of the most famous Sci-Fi characters in the galaxy! Many of the industry's top artists contribute gorgeous pin-ups of the Grimm Universe's most popular characters in this stunning collection.

Also includes a never-before-published Grimm Fairy Tales short story!

STARWARD #1 (OF 8)

Story: Steve Orlando | Art: Ivan Shavrin | Cover: Ivan Sharvin | Heavy Metal | $3.99

Stephanie Cohen's life is all going according to plan. The only problem is...the plan isn't hers! She's crushing it at college, but her fast track to a medical degree is something her parents decided for her, seemingly at birth. Stephanie was never consulted on her own life. So, now she's drowning in pre-med when she'd rather be studying classics, folklore, and mythology. But on the eve of her twentieth birthday, as Stephanie prepares to stare into her own personal summer abyss for yet another day...she gets a gift unlike any she could possibly expect.

THE GRUNCH: WELCOME TO THE BRUDDERHOOD #1

Story: S.A. Check, James Kuhoric | Art: Claudio Avella | Covers: Puis Calzada,  Claudio Avella, Buz Hasson & Ken Haeser | American Mythology | Mature | $3.99

American Mythology Comics has brought the fear to horror fans all year long, with a string of horror hits like 2021’s runaway fan favorite, Willy’s Wonderland, a prequel series to the 2021 cult movie starring Nic Cage. The same publisher brought fans a fresh dose of delirium with a new Fright Night comic series, picking up where the original Tom Holland classic left off, and they delivered even more of the ever-popular Adam Green’s Hatchet comic series, along with some in-house modern classics like Scary Christmas, Beware the Witch’s, Shadow and A.M. Monsters! If you’re a fan of horror comics, American Mythology’s got your back, there just may be a knife stuck in it!

Now, the comic publisher is releasing a brand-new tale of terror with The Grunch! A horror comic with bite! Fresh from the ground up minds of the American Mythology horritorium, this tale of terror was ripped straight from the pages of the Louisiana folk lore and legend, dating back hundreds of years of black magic, voodoo, and things that go bump in the swamp. Part twisted human, part hungry beast, all teeth and terror! Come along with your tour guide, Johnny Detour, and his band of misfit vloggers as they delve deep into the murky myths surrounding the murderous brood! Finding the carnivorous clan is only half the battle — getting back out alive is the real trick! There’s always time for a detour!

The Grunch is the all in, blood-curdling, hide-under-the-covers, fear-for-all comics we love here at American Mythology,” said Barlow Jones, AM’s Marketing Director.  “A tale straight out of American folk-lore and fable, but filled with fright! Don’t make a wrong turn down old Grunch Road or you may just never back it back alive! We brought the whole horror crew together on this one to bring fans something special to help keep them up at night, whether they wanted to or not! It’s one part horror, one part insanity, and all parts a good time for fans of the genre. Do yourself a favor and bring a little Grunch into your life! Just don’t invite them over for dinner – you may not like the menu!”

“It’s Grunch Time, brudder!” said series co-writer S.A. Check. “We reached deep down into our collective nightmares and pulled this little beauty of a horror comic out! We wanted to bring some fresh horror to the fans, something to pay homage to some of the great creature features of the 70’s and 80’s, but with our own little spin to them. Even if you’re familiar with the legend of the Grunch and Grunch Road, we’ve twisted things up a bit and added our own take to the bloody brood! The book has been an absolute blast to work on and everyone involved is psyched to get this into the hands of horror fans. Come join Johnny Detour and his friends on this wild and bumpy ride on a backroad straight into the heart of terror!”

ISH ONE-SHOT

Story/Art/Cover: Adam De Souza | Silver Sprocket | $14.99

An evocative and contemplative collection of short comics, ish explores the complicated nature of grief through a series of loosely connected vignettes. Each glimpse brings another layer to the nuances of healing-from the deep muck of despair to unexpected joys-all told with care and thoughtfulness that shows through the page.

ISHURA VOL 1 GN

Story/Art: Keiso | Yen On | Mature | $15.00

In a world where the Demon King has died, a host of demigods capable of felling him have inherited the world. A master fencer who can figure out how to take out their opponents with a single glance; a lancer so swift they can break the sound barrier; a wyvern rogue who fights with three legendary weapons at once; an all-powerful wizard who can speak thoughts into being; an angelic assassin who deals instant death. Eager to attain the title of “True Hero,” these champions each pursue challenges against formidable foes and spark conflicts among themselves. The battle to determine the mightiest of the mighty begins.

KENT MENACE: DANGERS FROM THE DEPTHS #1

Story: Scott Braden, Mike Malbrough, Various | Art: Jeff Dillon, Juan Castro, Various | Cover: Dan Lawlis | American Mythology | $3.99

It's time for Ragnaroks and RetroMariners! Scott Braden & Mike Malbrough's supernatural sailor, Kent Menace, is a mysterious mariner, as well as a weird hero who radiates - and attracts - excitement, danger, and even a bit of humor. Find out why Diamond's Steve Geppi said Kent Menace "crackles with energy and overflows with possibility" and Valiant Senior Editor Lysa Hawkins said, "...a little dash of pulp, a sprinkle of camp, Kent Menace is what happens if Doc Savage, Namor, and The Tick fused into one!" In addition to Braden, this special issue features comics and illustrated prose stories in the great pulp tradition by Jasper Bark, Michel Buster, Juan Castro, John Charles, Lidia Corinne, Jeff Dillon, Marty Grosser, Mark Herr, Dan Lawlis, Joel Meadows, Rob Moran, Eraklis Petmezas, Meggan Groves Robinson, Dillon Samuelson, J.C. Vaughn, Mark Wheatley, and Lance Woods. Demand yours today!

KUBO WON'T LET ME BE INVISIBLE VOL 1 GN

Story/Art: Nene Yukimori | Viz | Older Teen | $9.99

Junta Shiraishi blends into the background so much that even his classmates fail to spot him. His goal is to make the most of his high school life, but that pesky invisibility gets in the way ... until Nagisa Kubo notices him! Kubo's playful teasing kicks Shiraishi out of his comfort zone and begins a friendship — or is it something more?

THE LIVING CORPSE HAUNTED ONE-SHOT #0

Story: Buz Hanson, Ken Haeser, Keith Thomas | Art: Buzz Hanson, Blair Smith | Cover: Buz Hanson | Art/Cover: Ken Haeser | American Mythology | $3.99

The groundbreaking series is back and reintroduced to a new generation of horror fans! Join the maestros of monsters, Ken Haeser and Buz Hasson for a romp through a nightmare landscape of terrifying tales!  This is an all-new print of the sold out, fright-filled, knuckle-biting, pants-wetting one-shot featuring three standalone Living Corpse stories! First a haunting at an abandoned mental institution brings The Living Corpse out to investigate an army of feeble-minded ghosts to unlock the secret of the evil Doctor Death! Also, The Living Corpse meets Mumbles The Clown and the ghost of Edgar Allen Poe! Join the Corpse Crew for more hardcore horror than you can shake a hatchet at!  Available with two covers — main and black & white limited edition raw covers by Ken Haeser and Buz Hasson!

MEZO BATTLE AT COBAN ROCK #1 (OF 5)

Script: Tyler Chin-Tanner | Art: Val Rodrigues, Gab Contreras, Varga Tomi | Covers: Val Rodrigues, Terry Blas | A Wave Blue World | 32 pages | $3.99

In the land of Mezo, the Tzalekuhl Empire sets out to conquer all surrounding territories, disrupting the peace that has lasted for generations. Only Kyma, the daughter of a fallen chief who refused to yield, stands in their way. Now, the day of the solar eclipse approaches and, with her father dead and her people driven from their homes, Kyma reunites with her estranged mother and forms an alliance with the mighty Huax'kin Warriors. But will the combined strength of both tribes be enough to hold back the fervent Tzalekuhl? They'll find out as they make their final stand at Cobán Rock.

Inspired by Mesoamerican history and legends, MEZO is a totally unique fantasy adventure driven by war, political intrigue, and ancient magic!

ONE NIGHT IN PRAGUE #1

Art/Cover: Tadd Galusha | Keenspot | $4.99

A new fantasy adventure epic from the mind of screenwriter Constantin Wernerwith art by Tadd Galusha. After young concert pianist Siwan loses part of his hand in a tragic accident, his family falls into a serious crisis. Following a strange prediction by a psychic, he departs for Prague with his supportive father Minkyu and good-humored uncle Jinwoo. They must find a mysterious white cat, who allegedly holds the key to Siwan's future. Once reaching the Czech capital, they're drawn into an ancient struggle between two groups of mystical shapeshifters!

PARADISE TOWERS PARADISE FOUND #1 (OF 4)

Story: Sean Mason | Art: Silvano Beltramo | Cover: Martin Geraghty | Cutaway Comics | $4.99

BUILD HIGH FOR HAPPINESS! An ice hot science fiction adventure and sequel to the Season 24 Doctor Who adventure. Years have passed since Kroagnon, the great architect, tried to wipe out the inhabitants of Paradise Towers. PARADISE PROMISES POSSIBILITY! Now they prosper under the leadership of General Favalan and her soldiers. The residents want for nothing. They fear nothing. After all, in paradise, what is there to fear ...? Written by Sean Mason with art by Silvano Beltramo.

QUESTS ASIDE #1

Vault is thrilled to announce the new fantasy-comedy series, QUESTS ASIDE, written by Brian Schirmer (Fairlady, Black Jack Ketchum), drawn by Elena Gogou (Campfire Stories, My City) colored by Rebecca Nalty (Bog Bodies, Heavy Vinyl) and designed by Tim Daniel. It's Always Sunny in The Realms!

A skeleton, an apprentice mage, and an exiled princess walk into a bar … for another shift at Quests Aside, the local watering hole run by once legendary, now retired adventurer Barrow. When the King privately explains that he plans to shut the place down, Barrow must find a way to hold onto his business and the family he's built around it.

“I’ve always loved stories about the thief who wants to take One Last Score, or the outlaw who needs to take One Last Ride," said Schirmer. "Their eyes are frequently fixed on retiring thereafter. Usually, things don’t work out as they planned. We take this conceit to a fantasy realm, where a legendary adventurer has already actually succeeded in taking One Last Quest, opened a tavern, and got to retire. That’s where we begin."

"With a set cast of bartenders, servers, and a skeleton cook, QUESTS ASIDE — the series and the tavern itself — also features a steady flow of colorful characters heading out to slay a dragon, or returning with a treasure, a few scrapes, and tales to tell. We liken it to high fantasy Cheers or It’s Always Sunny. I wanted to write something that was about friendship and (found) family, and the lengths we’ll go in order to protect, preserve and (sometimes) exploit those relationships. I also wanted it to be fun, funny, and occasionally absurd.”

“In the world of QUESTS ASIDE you can have your old-time adventures who went on epic quests in their youth, but you will also get heralds with three-neck electric guitars, orc stand-up comedians and 20-year-old mage apprentices with anxiety," added Gogou. "There are no rules. I love this genre of fantasy, the one that takes more traditional fantasy elements and flips them on their head. When designing the world and the characters I tried to follow the same principle. I wanted the book to look familiar to what you’ve seen before, but with a little unique touch. For that I took a lot of inspiration from Greek culture, among other things. From the character's looks and clothes to musical instruments and table top games you’ll notice them playing in the background. I wanted to create a really rich, interesting and fun world and I can’t wait for Brian and me to share this story with you.”

SOULFIRE #1

Story: Michael Turner, Jeph Loeb | Art: Mark Roslan | Cover: Giuseppe Cafaro | Aspen | $1.99

Aspen's premiere flagship title that started it all is back in an even better format as Michael Turner's hit magical adventure series SOULFIRE returns!

In 2003, Aspen Comics debuted Soulfire, its newest hit series created by superstar artist Michael Turner, his first since his best-selling Fathom series. Soulfire quickly went on to become one of Aspen's most pivotal titles over its nearly two decades in print.

Aspen is excited to revisit the magic and wonder of the Soulfire universe in this over-sized Special Edition featuring the original interior pages as well as an advance Soulfire: The Core sneak peek, all for a great introductory price! The SOULFIRE #1 SPECIAL EDITION is 40 pages of pure Soulfire magic and the perfect jumping-on point for new and loyal readers alike.

SURVIVAL IN ANOTHER WORLD WITH MY MISTRESS VOL 1 GN

Story & Art: Ryuto Yappen Sasayuki | Translation: David Evelyn |  Lettering: Jaewon Ha | Ghost Ship | 192 pages | $13.99

In this story from the creator of Reborn as a Space Mercenary: I Woke Up Piloting the Strongest Starship!, a man uses video game crafting powers to survive a fantasy world — with the help of his beautiful dark elf mistress! (And don’t miss the original light novels, also from Seven Seas.)

When Kousuke finds himself transported to a new world, he has to learn how to survive both a trackless desert and a dark forest. Luckily, his knowledge of gaming comes in handy. He has all the crafting abilities he ever wanted, and an infinitely large inventory to fill with loot and weapons! Even luckier, he meets a sexy elf princess who … snaps a slave collar around his neck and puts him to work saving the world, and servicing her every whim?!

MORE OGNs

CATS CATS CATS GN

• Diamond didn't have a cover. Has something to do with cats.

GNARTOONS HC

Story: Asia Alfasi, Catherine Anyango Grunewald, Woodrow Phoenix | Art: Sonia Leong, Woodrow Phoenix | Silver Sprocket | $29.99

The long-awaited collection of James the Stanton's beloved Gnartoons comics is here! Drink a 40 with a skateboarding dog and eat a pizza brunch with radical dinosaurs! Stanton's trademark trippy humor wriggles and shines its way through each lushly illustrated comic vignette, now lovingly presented in a deluxe hardcover.

GOOD GAME WELL PLAYED OGN

• Coming of age, video games, teen angst. Three things I've seen enough of.

HEAVY METAL PRESENTS ARENA MODE GN

• Super-powered people fighting/competing Hunger Games style. I've seen too much of this with characters I know to be interested in characters I don't.

HOLY GHOST SPIRITED COMIC HC

Story/Art: John Hendrix | Abrams ComicArts | $18.99

Does God exist? Is there a heaven? What's the point of it all? Do we even matter? This collection of thought-provoking, humorous comic strips is a series of conversations between a squirrel, a badger, and a friendly blue ghost who may or may not be one third of the Holy Trinity. Charming, witty, and at times poignant, yet never holier-than-thou, New York Times bestselling and award-winning illustrator John Hendrix tackles some of life's greatest questions.

HOTLINE MIAMI WILDLIFE VOL 2 TPB

• Based on a video game.

H.P. LOVECRAFT: THE MUSIC OF ERICH ZANN

Story: Steven P. Jones, H. P. Lovecraft | Art/Cover: Aldin Baroza | Caliber | $9.99

Astronomer Max Finn is in Paris, reluctantly attending a SETI conference on the search for extraterrestrial life. One day sitting in a street cafe, a sad street musician named Erich Zann, draws his attention as the old man plays an eerie set of music. Now each night, those same eerie melodies haunt Finn's dreams. Giving him nightmares about an impossible cosmic land ruled by Nyarlathotep, the messenger of the elder gods.

• I feel like I should be getting these, but I've never seen one to adjudge the art quality. What say, Legionnaires?

JOTUNN WAR HC

Story: Devmalya Pramanik, Paul Little, Ed Dukeshire | CEX Publishing | $22.95

In the Vikingverse, the Norse rule the stars with restless fleets and an iron will. But when the thralls rebel, turning to the artifice of Norns to help them escape their bondage, the natural order is thrown into chaos.

• I love the fact that someone can put out a book with "Jotunn" in the title, and it requires no explanation. I went decades as the only person I knew who had read the Eddas, or Thor, or had any idea about the Norse myths. Now, thanks to Marvel Studios, "Jotunnheim" and "Mjolnir" and "Bifrost" are words you can drop into conversation.
  • Where was I? I don't know. I'm just sitting here grinning.

LET'S PLAY VOL 1 GN

• Coming of age, video games, teen angst. Again.

MEGA TPB

Story/Art/Cover: Salvador Sanz | Red 5 Comics-Stonebot | $19.95

A gigantic creature has been awaken from its eternal sleep in Antarctica. The destructive monster, only known as "The Salamander", has started a journey of chaos and destruction. The only thing that could stop this menace is another sleeping giant; a creature from under the ocean known as "Mega".

• Off-brand kaiju. We've seen this story with more familiar monsters.

MERLIN & HECTOR TPB

Story: Rodolfo Santullo | Art/Cover: Jok | Red 5 Comics-Stonebot | $12.95

All legends have an origin, all heroes an awakening. By fate's design, a young swineherd named Merlin meets an intrepid thief named Hector. And it is at that moment, in that fortuitous encounter, when the legends are born: that of the greatest sorcerer known to men and that of King Arthur's adoptive father. Together, Merlin and Hector will not only face the fearsome Skinshifters, but also discover what fate has in store for them. If they manage to survive...

• I confess, I've never seen an Arthurian story that made Sir Hector (also Ector and Cynyr) a major character.

MY FIRST PANDEMIC GN

Story/Art: Jamison Odone | Black Panel Press | $29.99

My First Pandemic is a collection of drawings, thoughts, poems, comics, anger, happiness, life, and death from a difficult period in our history. Over the last two years, between crises and quarantines, Jamison has had time. Time to reflect, to page through old books of poetry, to draw hundreds of rabbit people — for some reason. The loss of a stepfather, followed by the loss of a good friend, gives cause to contemplate one's own mortality. It's strange how the thoughts of 19th-century poets can echo our own. What will we leave behind when our time comes? Sadness, sure, but also wee, silly drawings in honest-to-goodness paper and ink.

MY ONLY CHILD HC

Story: Wang Ning | Art: Ni Shaoru, Wu Yao, Xu Ziran, Quin Chang | Fanfare | $26.00

It is estimated that there are over 218 million only children in China today following more than three decades of a one-child policy by their government. Under the ruling, which ran from 1980 to the end of 2015, most couples were only allowed one child under penalty of fines, forfeiture and even sterilization. Government figures state that around 400 million births were prevented in that time. But some unforeseen circumstances caused much heartache and grief for upwards of 10 million couples who lost that only child and this book tells four of their tragic stories.

• Wow, I guess I just assumed that if your child died you could have another, since it would still be "one child." Not so, apparently.

SUNLIGHT GN

Story: Christophe Bec | Art/Cover: Bernard Khattou | Clover Press | $24.99

At the bottom of a chasm, no one can hear you scream.

Three young friends, Kevin, Caro and Eva, who are passionate about caving, decide to explore the ruins of an abandoned mine. They discover, bathed in the light of dawn, a surreal setting to explore. As soon as they enter, they take a dizzying fall through a poorly sealed well. Now trapped at the bottom of an abyss where not a ray of light reaches, they have only one thing to do: wait for help and survive.

Victims of their anxiety, they begin to lose their bearings. Fear and madness set in, making it impossible to discern reality from illusion.

Sunlight tells an agonizing survival story penned by French screenwriter Christophe Bec and illustrated by Bernard Khattou.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• MORE MANGA

ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF DUKE'S DAUGHTER VOL 8 GN

BLACKGUARD VOL 2 GN

BLUE EXORCIST VOL2 27 GN

BORUTO VOL 14: NARUTO NEXT GENERATIONS GN

CAN'T STOP CURSING YOU VOL 3 GN

CREEPY CAT VOL 2 GN

DANCE IN VAMPIRE BUND VOL 6: AGE OF SCARLET ORDER GN

DEEP SCAR MANGA VOL 4 GN

DR. STONE VOL 21 GN

FIRE IN HIS FINGERTIPS FIREMAN SMOLDERING GAZE VOL 3 GN

HAPPY KANAKO'S KILLER LIFE VOL 4 GN

HERO LIFE OF SELF-PROCLAIMED MEDIOCRE DEMON VOL 4 GN

KINGDOM HEARTS III 3 VOL 2 GN          

KING'S BEAST VOL 6 GN            

LAID BACK CAMP VOL 11 GN

MADE IN ABYSS VOL 10 GN

MANGA CLASSICS SCARLET LETTER GN NEW PTG

MISS KOBAYASHI'S DRAGON MAID ELMA DIARY VOL 5 GN

ODE TO KIRITO OMNIBUS GN

ONE PIECE VOL 99 GN

OSSAN IDOL MANGA VOL 5 GN

PRINCE FREYA VOL 6 GN

REINCARNATED AS DRAGON HATCHLING VOL 3 GN

TALES OF WEDDING RINGS VOL 10 GN

THAT TIME I REINCARNATED AS A SLIME MONSTER NATION VOL 7 GN

TOILET BOUND HANAKO KUN VOL 13 GN

WHEN WILL AYUMU MAKE HIS MOVE VOL 5 GN

WITCHES' COMPLETE COLLECTION OMNIBUS GN

MORE YOUNG READERS

ANNE OF WEST PHILLY GN

CAT NINJA VOL 3: WANTED GN

DISNEY MONSTERS AT WORK SCREEN COMIX VOL 1: MEET MIFT TPB

I CAN READ COMICS: MY LITTLE PONY — IZZY COMES HOME GN

PUPPY KNIGHT: DEN OF DECEPTION

SPARKLE DRAGONS VOL 1 GN

WORLD YAXIN: DAY OF UNICORN HC

AND STILL MORE

ACG COLLECTED WORKS: ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN VOL 15

9979027067?profile=RESIZE_710xPS Artbooks | 216 Pages | $24.99

Artists include Kurt Schaffenberger, Ogden Whitney and Harry Lazarus.

This fifteenth volume features ACG's Adventures into the Unknown #84-89 (May-October 1957). 

• There are a ton of PS Artbooks this week, which I am glad to see. (Tons have been solicited that haven't appeared, but I have ordered them and Westfield has already charged me. This week cuts that list by about 1/4.) 
    • Some of this week's releases offer all three versions of the given book — HC, Slipcase, Softee — and some offer only one or two versions. I only buy HC, so that's what I wait for, and they appear sooner or later.

ACG COLLECTED WORKS: FORBIDDEN WORLDS VOL 15 TPB

9978958099?profile=RESIZE_710xPS Artbooks | 216 Pages. | £19.99/$24.99

Creators include Ogden Whitney, John Forte, John Rosenberger, Leo Morey, Emil Gershwin, Kurt Schaffenberger, George Klein, Paul Reinman, Pete Costanza, Dick Beck, Harry Lazarus and Tom Hickey.

Covers ACG's Forbidden Worlds #89-94 (August 1960-March/April 1961).

ADAM ETERNO: HERO FOR ALL TIME TPB

10444785501?profile=RESIZE_710x

• I remember this guy from Paul Grist's Jack Staff at Image some years back, where he was called "Eternal Warrior" (not to be confused with the Valiant character), but made so many references to being a long-running character from UK comics that I looked him up at the time. He started at I.P.C. in 1970, moved to Fleetway, and is now at Rebellion. I read him relatively recently in some "Rebellionverse" book where he was teamed with The Leopard from Lime Street, Steel Commando, Dr. Sin, Pete's Pocket Army, Blake Edmonds, Yāo and Thunderbolt the Avenger. It was meh. I'd rather have Jack Staff back. Or Becky Burdock, Vampire Reporter. Or even Tom-Tom, the Robot-Man!
    • Here's a preview.

ART MASTERS SERIES VOL 9: GEORGIA O KEEFFE GN

• More classical art for those that are interested.

BEYOND THE BREACH TPB

BEYOND THE FARTHEST STAR #4

BLOOD ON SUNSET #5 (OF 5)

CARBON GREY OMNIBUS HC

CLASSIC ZORRO DELL #8

• This is a facsimile edition of a 1960s Dell Zorro book.

DUEL #2 (OF 10)

FOLLOW ME INTO THE DARKNESS #3 (OF 4)

HAPPY HILL #3 (OF 5)

IN HIS OWN IMAGE #3 (OF 3)

MEANWHILE #10

MEANWHILE COLLECTED ED TP VOL 01

MONEY SHOT VOL 3 TPB

PELLUCIDAR: ACROSS SAVAGE SEAS #4 (OF 4)

PRE-CODE CLASSIC ADVENTURE COMICS VOL 3 HC, SLIPCASE, SOFTEE

10443749287?profile=RESIZE_710x10443801689?profile=RESIZE_710x10443751253?profile=RESIZE_710xArt: Sam Glanzman, Jack Sparling, Louis Ravielli, Everett Raymond Kinstler, A.C. Hollingsworth, Rocco Mastroserio, Charles Nicholas | PS Artbooks | $46.99 HC, Slipcase $56.99, Softee $26.99

Just take a look here at Volume 3! It's 1903, ex-soldiers from the Spanish-American war prey on new settlers in the U.S. Northwest! Fast forward to the 1950s and it's "The Unknown Man," the Underworld Gang Lord who controls the Crime Syndicate. Now all the way back to the Middle Ages for the adventures of the Venetian merchant and explorer Marco Polo in the court of Kubla Khan! And the legends of Robin Hood and his meeting with Little John and the archery contest that was held to trap him! And finally to the 1600s and the epic adventures of Robinson Crusoe! Collects The Hooded Menace #1 (1951), The Unknown Man #1 (1951), Marco Polo #1 (1962), Robin Hood #1 (1963), and Robinson Crusoe #1 (1963).

PRE-CODE CLASSIC ADVENTURE COMICS VOL 2 SLIPCASE

10443749678?profile=RESIZE_710xArt: Wallace Wood, Pete Morisi, Henry C Keifer | PS Artbooks | $56.99

Just take a look — theres's horror and suspense with The Black Tarantula, classic sea-faring action with Moby Dick, jungle quests with the great Allan Quatermain, The New Adventures of Jack the Giant Killer, and an invisible man terrorizes the English countryside! All reproduced completely from cover to cover, just like the original comic, featuring some of the best comic book talent! Collects A Feature Presentation: The Black Tarantula #5 (1950), Moby Dick #6 (1950), King Solomon's Mines #1 (1951), Jack The Giant Killer #1 (1953), and The Invisible Man #1 (1955).

PRE-CODE CLASSICS: THE BEYOND VOL 6 SOFTEE, HC, SLIPCASE

10443814874?profile=RESIZE_710x10443816458?profile=RESIZE_710x10443816692?profile=RESIZE_710xArt: Jim McLauchlin, Louis Zansky, Sy Grudko, Ken Rice, Lou Cameron, Mike Sekowsky, Frank Giusto, Martin Rose, Warren Kremer | PS Artbooks | Softee $26.99, HC $46.99, Slipcase $56.99

For the first time ever in our popular SOFTEE format and counting down from volume 6 all the way to volume 1 join us on this journey to we venture into The Beyond! With a stellar cast of creative sketchers and scribblers from the golden years of the early 50's like Ken Rice, Sy Grudko, Louis Zansky, Lou Cameron, Jim McLaughlin, Mike Sekowsky, Frank Giusto, Martin Rose and Warren Kremer. And all reproduced completely from cover to cover, just like the original comic! Collects The Beyond #26-30 (April 1954-January 1955).

PRE-CODE CLASSICS: TOR VOL 1 HC, SLIPCASE, SOFTEE

10443820470?profile=RESIZE_710x10443820879?profile=RESIZE_710x10443820885?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Norman Maurer, Joe Kubert | Art: Mort Meskin | Art/Cover: Joe Kubert | PS Artbooks | HC $46.99, Slipcase $56.99, Softee $26.99

Tor the prehistoric warrior is a loner whose only true friend is his pet monkey, Chee-Chee. Joe Kubert described Tor as superior to the others in his clan, with an extra spark of humanity, who was instinctively striving for a better, more civilized way of life and with thanks to the work and obvious love that went into the series, what might have become a standard adventure strip, with man battling monster within the unusual prehistoric-world settings and situations was actually elevated to art! We're positive you'll love the thrills, adventure and danger that lurked everywhere one million years ago! Collects Tor #1, 3,4, 5 (September 1953-October 1954) and NAZA Stone Age Warrior (November 1963).

• The first issue of this was originally offered as a magazine, so I'm encouraged to see that at least some of PS' magazines are being repurposed to HCs, where I will buy them. But hasn't Tor already been released by DC? I think I have a collection somewhere.

PS ARTBOOKS: CLASSIC SCI-FI COMICS VOL 3 SOFTEE

10443822886?profile=RESIZE_710xArt: Kurt Schaffenberger, Dick Rockwell, Bob Powell, George Evans, Dick Giordano, Rocco Mastroserio | PS Artbooks | $26.99

I ask you, where in the solar system would you find a collection of absolute vintage comic gems like these? PS Artbooks Presents Classic Sci-Fi Comics Volume 3 includes Destination Moon (1951), Vic Torry and His Flying Saucer (1950), When Worlds Collide (1952), The Man from Planet X (1953), and The Green Planet (1962), all reproduced completely from cover to cover, just like the original comics and absolutely crammed with the cream of 1950s comic book talent including Dick Rockwell, Bob Powell, George Evans, Kurt Schaffenberger, Dick Giordano and Rocco Mastroserio!

PS ARTBOOKS PLANET COMICS SOFTEE VOL 6

9979026301?profile=RESIZE_710xPS Artbooks | 216 Pages | $24.99

Packed with crazy superheroes and villains, read how Flint Baker, Reef Ryan, Crash Parker and our very own fighting feminists Gale Allen and the Girl Squadron totally trash a wicked band of dwarfs on a far flung and distant planet. Drawn by stalwarts such as Joe Doolin, Al Gabriel and Frank Schwarz et al who continue to please in this latest offering of the on-going SOFTEE series from Ps Artbooks.

This volume features Fiction House's Planet Comics #16-18 (January-May 1942).  

PS ARTBOOKS PLANET COMICS VOL 7 SOFTEE

10443824284?profile=RESIZE_710xArt: Dan Zolnerowich, George Wilhelms, Al Walker, Saul Rosen, George Appel, Art Saaf, Joseph Doolin, Pagsilang Rey Isip, Raphael Astarita, Rudy Palais | PS Artbooks | $24.99

Packed with crazy superheroes and villains, read how Flint Baker, Reef Ryan, Crash Parker and our very own fighting feminists Gale Allen and the Girl Squadron totally trash a wicked band of dwarfs on a far flung and distant planet. Drawn by stalwarts such as include Dan Zolnerowich, Joe Doolin, Pagsliang Rey Isip, George Carl Wilhelms, Rafael Astarita, Saul Rosen, Al Walker, George Appel, Art Saaf, and Rudy Palais. Collects Planet Comics #19-21 (July-November 1942).

PS ARTBOOKS PLANET COMICS VOL 8 SOFTEE

10443825454?profile=RESIZE_710xArt: Dan Zolnerowich, George Wilhelms, Al Walker, Saul Rosen, George Appel, Art Saaf, Joseph Doolin, Pagsilang Rey Isip, Raphael Astarita, Rudy Palais | PS Artbooks | $26.99

Another alien-infested issue with battles decided in the far flung future, written and drawn by the Godfathers of Science Fiction. We continue our popular Softie collection with mind blowing tales from Planet Comics #22-24 (January-May 1943).

RISE OF DRACULA #5 (OF 6)

SAVAGE CIRCUS #11 (OF 11)

SILVER AGE CLASSIC UNUSUAL TALES VOL 1 HC, SOFTEE

10443827073?profile=RESIZE_710x10443827282?profile=RESIZE_710xArt: Bill Molno, Marc Swayze, Maurice Whitman, Charles Nicholas, Dick Giordano, Ernie Bache, Rocco Mastroserio, Vince Alascia, Tony Tallarico | PS Artbooks | HC $46.99, Softee $24.99

Unusual Tales is a treasure trove of science fiction, horror, suspense, fantasy and the supernatural from the jewels of 1950's comic book talent including Bill Molno, Marc Swayze, Maurice Whitman, Charles Nicholas, Dick Giordano, Ernie Bache, Rocco Mastoserio, Vince Alascia, Tony Tallarico and Pat Musull, all captured here within these pages, reproduced completely from cover to cover as they should be! They'll have any self-respecting comicbook fan absolutely drooling at the prospect of digging up this treasure chest! Collects Unusual Tales #1-5 (November 1955-September 1956).

SILVER AGE CLASSIC: UNUSUAL TALES VOL 2 HC, SLIPCASE, SOFTEE

10443832056?profile=RESIZE_710x10443832283?profile=RESIZE_710x10443832094?profile=RESIZE_710xArt:  Bill Molno, Marc Swayze, Maurice Whitman, Charles Nicholas, Dick Giordano, Ernie Bache, Rocco Mastroserio, Vince Alascia, Tony Tallarico | PS Artbooks | HC $46.99, Slipcase $56.99, Softee $26.99

Unusual Tales is a treasure trove of science fiction, horror, suspense, fantasy and the supernatural from the jewels of 1950s comic book talent including Bill Molno, Marc Swayze, Maurice Whitman, Charles Nicholas, Dick Giordano, Ernie Bache, Rocco Mastoserio, Vince Alascia, Tony Tallarico and Pat Musulli, all captured here within these pages, reproduced completely from cover to cover as they should be, just like the original comic! Collects Unusual Tales #1-5 (November 1955 to September 1956).

SILVER AGE CLASSICS MYSTERIES UNEXPLORED WORLDS SOFTEE VOL 2

10443834068?profile=RESIZE_710xArt: Dick Giordano, Bill Molno, Steve Ditko, Rocco Mastroserio, Gene Colan, Bill Fraccio | PS Artbooks | $26.99

PS Artbooks presents Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds Volume 2. With a superb concoction of fantastic fantasy-supernatural and horror tales and mind-blowing science fiction stories from a roster of writers and artists that includes the truly remarkable one-man creative genius Steve Ditko, together with the creative talents of Bill Molno, Dick Giordano, Bill Fraccio, Rocco Mastroserio and Gene Colan. Collects Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds #6-10 (December 1957 to November 1958).

SORGHUM & SPEAR HC

SWAMP DOGS #3 (OF 5)

THIRD WAVE 99 #3

THIRTEENTH FLOOR TP VOL 03

TOUCHING EVIL #21

WASTED SPACE TP VOL 05

WILLY'S WONDERLAND PREQUEL #3

WITCHBLOOD: HOUNDS OF LOVE COMPLETE COLLECTION TP VOL 01

WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #119

ZORRO: NEW WORLD #4

• "Does this cover construction seem familiar to anyone else?"

I don't know what cover you may be thinking of. Nothing about it screams out to me like that "Mike Zeck" (?) one you posted a couple of weeks ago which we still haven't identified. A couple of similar ones come to mind. Is it one of these? 

83598193088.1.gif

91912446216.21.gif

03910922200.12.gif?profile=RESIZE_710x

84063829060.6.gif

TAILS OF THE SUPER-PETS TPB: I purposefully didn't pre-order this one because it's cheap enough I'm willing to forgo my pre-order discount so as not to be committed to it.

TOR:

"But hasn't Tor already been released by DC?"

DC released three volumes of "The Joe Kubert Library" between 2001 and 2003. It was complete across publishers at that time, but DC has since released an addition six-issue limited series in 2008. I am disappointed they never went back to press with a fourth volume.

• Thanks for the Tor explanation, Jeff. The Comics Cave is in such a state of disarray that I couldn't find anything if I wanted to. (And I do want to. It is a misery.)

And I appreciate enormously your efforts at finding the homage origin. I could have posted half a dozen "almosts" that I found, but I didn't, because why post things that aren't what I'm looking for? But seeing your post, now I'm thinking, "It's almost as much fun posting the near-misses because we're big comics fans, and besides, they might lead us to the right path." Next time I will, because you have directed me, O my Jedi master.

Also, on the Super-Pets: Same. I'll see what discount Instocktrades offers, and if the book is cheap enough, I'll get it, just for the nostalgia. But I don't really need it.

• Does this cover construction seem familiar to anyone else?

It made me think of posters, etc, about the movie The Matrix and its sequels. The Hugo Weaving character appeared as multiples. I looked at Matric comic covers and Google images. This was the closest I found.

10453838091?profile=RESIZE_710x

• "...you have directed me, O my Jedi master."

Oh, please. I am the Padawan. You are the Master. 

I posted the "almosts" this time simply because it didn't strike me as a specific homage (plus, I recall you had expressed admiration for that Superman: America Alien cover when it was published). 

This reply was deleted.