Thought maybe I'd just make this an undated, running thread -- and just date the entries as the weeks turn.

3/28/2012

Of the books I've read so far, Flash 7 is my favorite -- I loved Flash running through the wormhole, the promise he made to Snart (and the resolution of that promise), an interesting wrinkle in what will likely wind up being the Golden Glider's origin, the hint at Captain Singh's love life, and more. I liked Iris going through the wormhole -- it'll give Barry some alone time with her (though I'm by no means anti-Patty). And I'm looking forward to Turbine, next issue!

All-Star Western never disappoints, either -- the lead story made good use of Hex's origins and I like the gladatorial scenario. And the backup art had a real John Severin feel to it, which I appreciated -- and I liked the look at Nighthawk's background, as well. My one quibble was that I couldn't tell if Cinnamon was wearing a mask or not -- in some places, it looked like she wasn't drawn wearing one, but the colorist might have been trying to fix that.

Aquaman, sadly, I'm thinking of dropping. It's good -- objectively a good comic, I think, well drawn and exciting in parts -- but it isn't really connecting with me. Maybe it will in trades, sometime down the road.

New Deadwardians: I was planning on waiting for the trade with this one, but I decided to give a single issue a chance. I love the mystery it sets up, and I love the low-key nature of the supernatural here. It's well worth checking out.

Legion of Super Heroes: Secret Origin wrapped up with a nice moment for Phantom Girl, in particular. That said, I'm not sorry to see it go. While it approached the formation of the Legion in a different way than I'd ever seen before, and Chris Batista delivered some nice Ernie Colon-inspired work, the book as a whole was kind of flat. I much prefer the modern-day Legion, with characters who have a long history behind them. 

Still to come: Daredevil and The Unwritten.

Views: 6020

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have mixed feelings about the new Batman:Year One. While it doesn't rewrite Batman's origin, it's practically Bruce Wayne: The In Between Years but we do get more insight into Bruce's decisions. And "High Society People being blackmailed into becoming Red Hoods" is clever and innovative.

Not sure about tossing the Riddler into this yet and now we need more backstory on the Penguin, too.

And I don't like Uncle Philip being a bad guy! For obvious reasons! ;-)

A few more from the past 2 weeks from me:

The Bounce #2: The first 10 pages or so were the best as we see Bounce's reaction to Fog's drug. Is he in another dimension, the afterlife, or simple drug induced hallucination? There he sees a friend (Zander) of his who died, who explains that the normal people are the minorities. He demonstrates this by trying to jump off of a building to commit suicide but is saved before hitting the ground. The rest was more or less backstory. We learn that Zander and Jasper (Bounce) took a job in which science experiments were performed on them, and Jasper is the only one who lived. Jasper is also a screw-up who is continually getting out of jams through his brother who works for the D.A.'s office. A decent comic.

Catalyst Comix #1: Man, I am so dense. I was just thinking about a week or so ago if this has anything with the old Dark Horse series Catalyst: Agents of Change. Of course it is! Like the one above this is written by Joe Casey. It is essentially an anthology that has three different chapters in which they plan to rotate the lead between them. This one shows what happened during the near destruction of the Earth. The lead was Frank Wells who was Titan before (and the one I remember from the original series). The next shows Amazing Grace who was the real hero of the story. The last one begins the gathering of the group of the Agents of Change. Like a lot of Joe Casey's non-big two comics this is not your typical hero fare.

Fairest #17: We find out how Prince Charming became the Maharaja.

Green Lantern #22: Yawn...already dropped.

Invincible Universe #4: This features Best Tiger, and was really great. Perhaps the best single issues of this or the previous series.

Suicide Risk #3: I'm still not quite sure were this series is going, and I like that. I think it will be about the sole super-hero against a world (loosely speaking) of villains. All of the villains here so far were heroes who turned bad, or who got their powers the same time the went insane. I never read Mike Carey's X-men run, so it is interesting to me to see how he handles a superhero book.

Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #10: A pretty cliched story about a cannibal. It was okay, but great to see Chris Sprouse art! Put me down as someone who would have loved to have seen a Solo spotlight by him.

East of West #4: More or less the end of the first arc I think. Awesome comic with a tremendous last page: The woman who conquered death. I really dig the art as well.

Shadowman #8: I think more has happened in the first 8 issues of this series that the entire run of the original one. I think/hope we are quickly going to see a big battle between Shadowman and Master Darque. Baron Samedi has grown on me, even if he is a lot of bluster.

Dial H #14: Mieville really seems to be cramming a lot in here to get his story wrapped up. Too bad, as I was really enjoying it.

Ghosted #1: A master thief is broken out of jail by a crazy(?) millionaire who wants him to steal a ghost for him from a haunted house. The cover is by Sean Phillips and the interior art (including the coloring) by Goran Sudzuka and Miroslav Mrva is reminiscent of that. Another one that has a great last page.

Dark Avengers #190: Somehow I missed this when it originally came out (I blame my LCS). As I said before this wore me out on alternate universes, BUT this issue totally redeemed itself. The alternate universe we have different super-factions vying for rule of NYC. This was created by a division of AIM with the sole purpose stealing the weapons developed by Tony Stark and Reed Richards. A pretty neat idea. Of course once this ends the status quo is more or less restored. The fake Spider-man is killed, but I'm sure most people don't care about him.

The Unwritten #50 - The beginning of the Fables/Unwritten crossover, and it's good. Tommy is shanghaied into the land of Fables to help fight the Dark Man.

Regarding this first issue of the crossover, can anyone tell me if the Fables status quo we see n this issue is the same as the one currently in the Fables series?  It looks a garbled hotchpotch of story elements that have already appeared in teh series, but if it doesn't match a particular era of Fables, its not really a proper crossover, is it?

I was hoping to catch up with the characters that I left behind when I stopped reading the series, but perhaps that isn't what this 'crossover' will give me.

From what we know so far, it looks like a Fables alternate reality -- where some of the Fables would be if things hadn't gone their way int he battle against Mister Dark... probably due to changes that occurred in the timeline prior to Dark's arrival. Why this is, we don't yet know.

Travis, When did the current 'Dark Avengers' get good? Are there recent trades worth picking up? Surely I haven't missed 190 issues of a quality product? I saw the beginnings in the Civil War days but thought it long since cancelled. Any recommendations?

Richard, it actually continued the numbering from the previous Thunderbolts series. Which is a series I have left and come back to a few times. I had heard good things about Jeff Parker's writing, and I came back for issue 150, and stuck with it until the end. I became Dark Avengers at issue 175. I thought it was really good myself for the most part, but I did get alternative reality fatigue (a phrase I never imagined I would say). One of the storylines has a nice Judge Dredd homage if that floats your boat.

Richard Mantle said:

Travis, When did the current 'Dark Avengers' get good? Are there recent trades worth picking up? Surely I haven't missed 190 issues of a quality product? I saw the beginnings in the Civil War days but thought it long since cancelled. Any recommendations?

FWIW, Jeff Parker has generally impressed me as a writer, although he's not been attached to any big projects at Marvel.  I think he did some excellent work on Agents of Atlas, X-Men: First Class, Marvel Adventures: The Avengers, the recent Red She-Hulk, etc. IMO he's one of comics better writers right now. I've read enough of his stuff to know that it's generally a mark of quality.

Agreed. Not sure who he's pissed off at Marvel...not enough to cost him his job, but just enough to keep him off any big titles. It's like the editors have said, "Jeff, we think you are just awesome. But we can't let anyone else know that, so let's be secret friends, okay?"
Thanks everyonr I'll checkout some Amazon marketplace trades for both the series and Jeff. I did like the Atlas stuff mostly

I think it is that Jeff Parker has never had a big hit, nor has he had much critical acclaim. That probably makes Marvel reluctant to give him one of their flagship titles. I agree though, from what I have read his work is good.

I would think he would need someone considered a hot writer going to bat for him, but I don't know if he has that.  I think this was the case with Matt Fraction, wasn't he a protege of Ed Brubaker?

And Kelly Sue DeConnick is Fraction's long-time girlfriend.

John Dunbar (the mod of maple) said:

I would think he would need someone considered a hot writer going to bat for him, but I don't know if he has that.  I think this was the case with Matt Fraction, wasn't he a protege of Ed Brubaker?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service