Thought maybe I'd just make this an undated, running thread -- and just date the entries as the weeks turn.

3/28/2012

Of the books I've read so far, Flash 7 is my favorite -- I loved Flash running through the wormhole, the promise he made to Snart (and the resolution of that promise), an interesting wrinkle in what will likely wind up being the Golden Glider's origin, the hint at Captain Singh's love life, and more. I liked Iris going through the wormhole -- it'll give Barry some alone time with her (though I'm by no means anti-Patty). And I'm looking forward to Turbine, next issue!

All-Star Western never disappoints, either -- the lead story made good use of Hex's origins and I like the gladatorial scenario. And the backup art had a real John Severin feel to it, which I appreciated -- and I liked the look at Nighthawk's background, as well. My one quibble was that I couldn't tell if Cinnamon was wearing a mask or not -- in some places, it looked like she wasn't drawn wearing one, but the colorist might have been trying to fix that.

Aquaman, sadly, I'm thinking of dropping. It's good -- objectively a good comic, I think, well drawn and exciting in parts -- but it isn't really connecting with me. Maybe it will in trades, sometime down the road.

New Deadwardians: I was planning on waiting for the trade with this one, but I decided to give a single issue a chance. I love the mystery it sets up, and I love the low-key nature of the supernatural here. It's well worth checking out.

Legion of Super Heroes: Secret Origin wrapped up with a nice moment for Phantom Girl, in particular. That said, I'm not sorry to see it go. While it approached the formation of the Legion in a different way than I'd ever seen before, and Chris Batista delivered some nice Ernie Colon-inspired work, the book as a whole was kind of flat. I much prefer the modern-day Legion, with characters who have a long history behind them. 

Still to come: Daredevil and The Unwritten.

Views: 5999

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, I'm sure she probably opened a few doors for him, too.

I think that's true. When he started out in comics she was better known than he was. Fraction was also active online in some of Warren Ellis's forums, so he may have helped him as well.

Parker's highest profile gig would probably be Hulk, which he started writing after Jeff Loeb left.  the book was turned into Red She-Hulk last year and is now slated for cancellation.  I loved his work on Agents of Atlas; it got cancelled at issue 11.  He had a long run on Thunderbolts but that was revamped in two different ways (became Dark Avengers and Thunderbolts was relaunched last year).  The quality is definitely there; sadly, the sales numbers are not.

His opening story of the Adventures of Superman online comic was terrific, too. I'd love to see more Superman stories from him.

I've only ready my DC books so far, for this week of 7/17/2013:

Justice League of America 6 -- Part 2 of Trinity War -- finishes up the superteam bombast and then starts getting onto what the story is about: Who made Superman kill? (Assuming, of course, that's what happened.) We see Wonder Woman, in particular, investigate, and we see both teams recuperate at the JLA base... but strangely enough, we don't see a whole lot of the title team. This is definitely more a Justice League story than a JLA one. Fine by me. Plus: One of Wonder Woman's supporting characters from her actual book makes an appearance!

Wonder Woman 22: Wonder Woman & Co. spend most of the issue on New Genesis, where Highfather acts like a bit of a jerk, and Orion mostly just takes it. And then we get back to earth, and set up the next climactic battle. The highlight for me was a conversation between Diana and Orion, outside in New Genesis... it was pretty much exactly what Orion needed to hear.

Legion of Superheroes 22: This doesn't clear up every question from the last several issues -- did Tinya really run away? Is Star Boy really dead? What about poor, digested Sun Boy? And what was up with all the illusions surrounding the FF -- how were they achieved? But it does wrap up the Fatal Five storyline, and reveal who the as-yet-unnamed 5th member is. Good, but not great. I could read this forever, of course, but I understand how it wouldn't catch on with others.

Also in my pile: Conan, Scarlet, Revival, Fables. I decided to save myself a couple bucks for now and not buy Red Sonja, but I'm very interested to hear from anyone who did!

I was really, (honestly!) trying desperatly to get back into the LSH and was planning on getting the trades since the latest re-launched-relaunch (I have all the stuff from the Superboy days to the 5yrs later - to the Mark waid stuff and then got bored I confess)

I was thinking of getting them anyway and having a good solid 'complete' Legion story. - but from what I'm reading/hearing - it's best left alone...? Not getting much of a 'highly-recommended' vibe anywhere...?

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Legion of Superheroes 22: This doesn't clear up every question from the last several issues -- did Tinya really run away? Is Star Boy really dead? What about poor, digested Sun Boy? And what was up with all the illusions surrounding the FF -- how were they achieved? But it does wrap up the Fatal Five storyline, and reveal who the as-yet-unnamed 5th member is. Good, but not great. I could read this forever, of course, but I understand how it wouldn't catch on with others.

How did you like the Mark Waid reboot, Richard?  I read a few of the Supergirl issues recently.

Actually I was impressed with it. it began as quite a strong contrast to the previous Legions - but by about the time Supergirl headlined, strangely enough, it all became a bit slow and dull and that's where I started losing touch.

I liked the gradual return to the 'old' Legion via the JLA etc and into the 'Legion of 3 Worlds' etc but I do feel the ball was dropped in trying to change the Legion in the way waid did.

Figserello said:

How did you like the Mark Waid reboot, Richard?  I read a few of the Supergirl issues recently.

From last week:

Adventures of Superman #12 - Superman through Ma Kent's eyes. Excellent.  I prefer it to All-Star Superman

And now for this week:

Invincible #104 - Invincible fights Invincible aided by Invincible, Angstrom Levy monologues, and Eve is absolutely awesome.  Good.

Batman '66 #2 - Now, this is more like it.  Some great shout outs to the old TV show, Alfred being Alfred, and Catwoman too.  Good.

Deadpool #13 - Deadpool flashes back to the 70's, and has a fairly amusing team up with Power Man and Iron Fist.  Good.

Legion of superheroes #22 - A serious case of Deus Ex here.  Okay.

X-Factor #259 - Mojo. Time travel.  I should hate this.  I don't. Good.

FF #9 - The Future Foundation has a pool party and new storytelling vistas are opened up. Good.

Thor, God of Thunder Gorr the God Butcher #10 - Bleah.  Still not over.  Not so good.

Fantastic Four #10 - The family finally finds out, and we find out who's responsible. Okay.

Wonder Woman #22 - The New Gods act like, well, jerks, and the First Born has trashed London--and Lennox. Good.

I just read that Adventures of Superman a moment ago. Great stuff!

And I've read through the third Batman '66 -- love that series!

A quick word on the other books I got this week:

Conan: The hallucination-based story ends... in a much gentler way than I'd expected, to be honest. Nicely done!

Scarlet: I'm interested to see where this goes... Scarlet *must* know that her demands can't be met by the mayor -- he even points out how self-contradictory they are -- so what game is she playing?

Revival and Fables are both starting new storylines, but continuing to face the repercussions of old ones. In Fables, it's an interested plan to put Bigby back together... but I'm even more interested in how Rose Red's plans for a Round Table will pan out. This month's Revival was more about set-up than incident, but I was very interested to see Art Balthazar's art in another setting.

From last week:\

Adventures of Superman #13 - The beginning of a two-parter with Superman taking care of an alien infant.  Good.

Fables #131 - Rose Red finds her purpose, and Prince Brandish "gets better". Good.

Batman '66 #3 - Batman and Robin finish off the Riddler with a little help from Catwoman.  Good.

And now, for part of this week:

Batman '66 #4 - Pengiun and Mr. Freeze team up with a dastardly plot to trap our intrepid hero! Good.

The Rocketeer - The Spirit - Pulp Friction! #1 - The Spirit and the Dolans travel to Los Angeles to investigate a murder, and team up with the Rocketeer.  Good.

The Green Team #3 - I don't care about these people, and I don't particularly like them. Dropped.

Constantine #5 - As I'm boycotting the Trinity War, ignored.

Young Avengers #8 - It has come to a point where these characters are so much fun that you could put them in any situation and it would be entertaining.  Good.

The Unwritten #51 - The young avatars of Tommy and his friends save Bigby Wolf.  Good.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service