Thought maybe I'd just make this an undated, running thread -- and just date the entries as the weeks turn.

3/28/2012

Of the books I've read so far, Flash 7 is my favorite -- I loved Flash running through the wormhole, the promise he made to Snart (and the resolution of that promise), an interesting wrinkle in what will likely wind up being the Golden Glider's origin, the hint at Captain Singh's love life, and more. I liked Iris going through the wormhole -- it'll give Barry some alone time with her (though I'm by no means anti-Patty). And I'm looking forward to Turbine, next issue!

All-Star Western never disappoints, either -- the lead story made good use of Hex's origins and I like the gladatorial scenario. And the backup art had a real John Severin feel to it, which I appreciated -- and I liked the look at Nighthawk's background, as well. My one quibble was that I couldn't tell if Cinnamon was wearing a mask or not -- in some places, it looked like she wasn't drawn wearing one, but the colorist might have been trying to fix that.

Aquaman, sadly, I'm thinking of dropping. It's good -- objectively a good comic, I think, well drawn and exciting in parts -- but it isn't really connecting with me. Maybe it will in trades, sometime down the road.

New Deadwardians: I was planning on waiting for the trade with this one, but I decided to give a single issue a chance. I love the mystery it sets up, and I love the low-key nature of the supernatural here. It's well worth checking out.

Legion of Super Heroes: Secret Origin wrapped up with a nice moment for Phantom Girl, in particular. That said, I'm not sorry to see it go. While it approached the formation of the Legion in a different way than I'd ever seen before, and Chris Batista delivered some nice Ernie Colon-inspired work, the book as a whole was kind of flat. I much prefer the modern-day Legion, with characters who have a long history behind them. 

Still to come: Daredevil and The Unwritten.

Views: 6020

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Whoops... I left off Birds of Prey. I can't say it made much of an impression on me, though, as a pretty generic Court of Owls crossover, and didn't change my decision to drop the book.

May 30

It's a fifth week, and therefore a light one. So far I've just read Batman Annual and Superman Family AdventuresBatman focused on Mr. Freeze, giving a very interesting twist to his psychosis, and making a connection between Bruce Wayne and Victor Fries that I don't think existed before. Superman Family Adventures was just silly goodness; the highlight for me was the reintroduction of Fuzzy the Super Mouse, and a certain conversation he has. 

I also picked up New Deadwardians and a recent issue of Fantastic Four. I decided to give the Animal Man annual a pass; I'm getting a little tired of the Rot, so I figured I'd hold off and wait until I heard if this was essential.

I got a both of those annuals. After getting caught up soon on Animal Man, finishing up with this book, I will make the decision on it. It's not the most uplifting book, though, so I'm probably going to stop reading it. I'm always good for a tragic tale, but tragic month in and month out is not something into which I want to sink money.

I also got Rocketeer Adventures #3. I have the HB of the first series, but didn't go for the whole of this series. I'm just buying this one based on the creative teams: David Lapham and Chris Sprouse, Kyle Baker, and Matt Wagner and Eric Canete. There's also a pinup in the back by Eric Powell. Couldn't pass this one up.

I also got BPRD: The Transformation of J.H. O'Donnell and The Simpsons Summer Shindig.

That does sound like a hell of a lineup for Rocketeer! I'm especially interested in the Kyle Baker story.

And as good as this looks, I really can't wait to read Mark Waid and Chris Samnee on the Rocketeer miniseries. All this and I don't even like the Rocketeer. I just love these creative teams.

Rob Staeger said:

That does sound like a hell of a lineup for Rocketeer! I'm especially interested in the Kyle Baker story.

I picked up both DC annuals and Ravagers #1.

I thought both annuals were good reads and I don't even read Animal Man on a monthly basis, (but seriously, how could it go wrong with mounties? :) )

Ravagers, on the other hand, wasn't really my cup of tea.  As a side note, you kind of have to wonder how some editors keep their jobs when they do things like approve a cover that has mislabeled characters on the very first issue.

I love the kid stuff in Superman comics...the winking at the reader, the giant robots, the pets, the friends...so, I think Superman Family Adventures is a fantastic comic and sorely needed for young readers.  So much so that I bought a bunch of copies and the girls, our dog, and I went around the neighborhood delivering them to kids we know last night.  They were all accepted by boys, girls, and their parents with smiles and thank-you's.  I think that we have a new monthly "chore"...thanks Art and Franco!

June 6, 2012

Earth 2 was my favorite of the week, giving me things I expected (Jay's debut as the Flash, scenes from Alan's private life) and things I didn't -- the debut of Hawkgirl in Poland, and most especially the person Mister Terrific meets upon his arrival on Earth 2. Someone suggested this character should appear in a Q&A session with Robinson, and he answered in a way that suggested he hadn't considered that, but maybe sometime down the line... which made it all the more surprising when the very character appeared in an issue that had to have been completed at the time of the interview. Which makes me think that comics creators don't lie nearly enough in interviews. Anyway, I loved this sequence, and while I've heard the argument that the character should have sent Holt back to Earth 1(ish) none the wiser (assuming that's even in his power), I can totally understand why he didn't. Because Holt, having found his way to Earth 2 once, would certainly be compelled by his curiosity to find his way back. And the next time, he might be better prepared for the environment. Better to lock him up now.

Worlds' Finest also had some nice moments -- I liked the notion that certain things wouldn't burn on this world, and I like that it looks like someone has noticed Helena's financial shenanigans. And I'm very curious as to who also came through the boom tube, if it wasn't Steppenwolf (and I'm pretty certain it wasn't). 

GI Combat: I like Unknown Soldier quite a bit, but The War that Time Forgot spends too much page space on Ariel Olivetti's art, which I feel should wow me, but somehow falls short. I might be dropping this... reluctantly, since Unknown Soldier is a cool mix of the Punisher and The Avenger.

Dial H: I think this one merits a back-to-back reading, just to refamiliarize myself with all the players, but there's some really inventive stuff here, and I loved loved loved the Iron Snail.

Action Comics: Some great stuff in this issue, as we return to an emphasis on the fierce idealism of the early issues, before the Collector came. I loved that bit with the JLA -- particularly as Superman looked for a home for Jack and Bobby. The fight with Nimrod was brief and awesome, too. With Clark presumed dead -- for at least a few weeks, according to the backup -- I'm interested to see how this one gets resolved.

Fairest: Another solid issue, not entirely in flashback this time. I like the idea that the Snow Queen isn't nearly as evil as she thinks herself to be, or that we've been led to believe. 

Mudman: Great stuff from Paul Grist, with everything you expect -- innovative layouts, fun superhero action, the longing of teen romance, and more mysteries set up for the future.

Night Force: We start to get some explanation of what's going on. As always, I feel like I need to reread previous issues to enjoy this as much as I can. I have to say, though, that this suffers in comparison to the similarly horror-infused Fatale. But I love Baron Winters, and will follow where he goes.

Swamp Thing: Yeah, pretty much all about the atmosphere (it's a horror book, though, and atmosphere is always going to be a higher priority than in a plot-driven title), and getting pieces in place for the next few issues. But this is the long-awaited (by me, anyway) debut of Francovilla as fill-in artist (promised when the series was first announced), and he doesn't disappoint in the least. He's one of my favorite unsung artists, and it's a joy to see him work with Snyder again.

Just posted some thoughts on the newest issue of Wonder Woman up on my (gasp!) long-neglected blog!

Saga #4 has some great moments with The Will and Lying Cat.  And the letters page, with answers to questions posed by Vaughan to readers, is awesome.  I so love this book.

Resurrecting this thread:

9/19/2012

I haven't read all my books this week -- not by a long shot, it was gargantuan -- but here are a few thoughts on what I've read so far:

Legion of Superheroes 0: Some enjoyable background on Braniac 5, and why he chose to eventually join the Legion full-time. Also, I'm really intrigued by the notion that Coluans are so long-lived that they only currently have one baby among them -- the most recent child since Querl was born. 

Fables 121: This is the conclusion to the "Cubs in Toyland" arc, and I have to admit I teared up a little bit at points. With all that happened last issue (and also, what happened in the arcs before), I didn't expect a resolution like this. Willingham and Buckingham really brought this one home, and I can't wait to read more.

By the way, just for future reference, here's Ozma's prophecy about the cubs, now that some of it has become clear:

The first child will be a king.
The second child a pauper.
The third will do an evil thing.
The fourth will die to stop her.
The fifth will be a hero bold.
The sixth will judge the rest.
The seventh lives to ages old, and is by heaven blessed.

Justice League 0: There's something about this that delights me. In a way, it's a travesty to show Captain Marvel this way. But the story itself seems to have a solid moral point of view, and I'm finding it fascinating the ways Billy and Freddy swerve back and forth over the line. But man, I hope Cap's suit gets simpler soon. Those boots...ugh. As for the Pandora backup: a) are those stripes on her face meant to make us think Pandora is also the WildCATS' Zealot? And b) there's not a whole lot of the Big Foreboding Story that interests me. Maybe I'll be grabbed once we get actual details, instead of vague foreboding from characters we really don't know yet.

Wonder Woman 0: A terrific little tale that in certain respects recalls those daffy Kanigher/Andru Wonder Girl tales... but also something the current series can build on, as Diana is shown to be War's protege, until she finally disappointed him. With, of course, gorgeous art by Chiang.

Red Hood & the Outlaws 0: We get a look at Jason's life before & during his time with Batman... and then a second look, through other eyes, that shows us hidden gears in motion. The second story's revelation is a clever notion... but really unwelcome, in my opinion. (If true, that is. We're dealing with the very essence of unreliable narrator here.) I wonder how it will manifest in the coming months, as "Death of the Family" unfolds?

Still on deck: Unwritten, DCU Presents (though I've read the Mister Terrific and Hawk & Dove sections, the first being decent but unessential, and the second being fairly forgettable), Dark Horse Presents, Revival, Daredevil, and Batwoman. Yeah, it was a BIG week.

Read a few more...

Finished up with the big DCU Presents 0 issue. Daredevil was a decent read, but I think it gave his origin story -- or at least part of it -- short shrift. The Blackhawk story is basically the origin of Mother Machine, who was apparently their main antagonist? We're told she'll be showing up again, so I'm glad I got to see what she was about. And OMAC... well, it was a 9 page conversation between Brother Eye and Maxwell Lord. Which isn't to say that Giffen didn't give it visual panache -- he certainly did, and included an opening action sequence for their voices to overlay. But it didn't really have the slam-bang action that made OMAC so good. Still, I hope for another story from this team someday... and hopefully both OMAC and Giffen will be able to cut loose a little more.

Daredevil features the return of a character I wasn't sure if we'd see again. It also starts to establish a new relationship between Foggy and Matt. All this, plus a doozy of a locked room mystery. This book is still going strong -- it's still one of the best superhero comics out there. And new-ish artist Chris Samnee is doing a bang-up job.

Also read a few stories from Dark Horse Presents -- "Crime Does Not Pay" and "Concrete Park." The first is a decent opening to what looks like could become a complex mob story; the second is a more over-the-top SF gang war story.. or at least I think that's what it is. CP chapters aren't in every issue, so I think I need to go back and read all six chapters to date.Anyway, plenty more stories in DHP, but they'll have to wait.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service