Thought maybe I'd just make this an undated, running thread -- and just date the entries as the weeks turn.

3/28/2012

Of the books I've read so far, Flash 7 is my favorite -- I loved Flash running through the wormhole, the promise he made to Snart (and the resolution of that promise), an interesting wrinkle in what will likely wind up being the Golden Glider's origin, the hint at Captain Singh's love life, and more. I liked Iris going through the wormhole -- it'll give Barry some alone time with her (though I'm by no means anti-Patty). And I'm looking forward to Turbine, next issue!

All-Star Western never disappoints, either -- the lead story made good use of Hex's origins and I like the gladatorial scenario. And the backup art had a real John Severin feel to it, which I appreciated -- and I liked the look at Nighthawk's background, as well. My one quibble was that I couldn't tell if Cinnamon was wearing a mask or not -- in some places, it looked like she wasn't drawn wearing one, but the colorist might have been trying to fix that.

Aquaman, sadly, I'm thinking of dropping. It's good -- objectively a good comic, I think, well drawn and exciting in parts -- but it isn't really connecting with me. Maybe it will in trades, sometime down the road.

New Deadwardians: I was planning on waiting for the trade with this one, but I decided to give a single issue a chance. I love the mystery it sets up, and I love the low-key nature of the supernatural here. It's well worth checking out.

Legion of Super Heroes: Secret Origin wrapped up with a nice moment for Phantom Girl, in particular. That said, I'm not sorry to see it go. While it approached the formation of the Legion in a different way than I'd ever seen before, and Chris Batista delivered some nice Ernie Colon-inspired work, the book as a whole was kind of flat. I much prefer the modern-day Legion, with characters who have a long history behind them. 

Still to come: Daredevil and The Unwritten.

Views: 6163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A few other recent comics:

From last week: Thumbprint #1. Based on a Joe Hill novella, this 3-part series centers on an Iraq War vet (an unindicted participant at Abu Ghraib) who's been discharged and now tends bar at the local VFW post. One night she discovers an envelope in her mailbox containing nothing but a page with a thumbprint on it; it feels familiar, and feels like a threat. So far, it's a gripping, down-to-earth story with appropriately moody art for both the present and the flashbacks to Abu Ghraib. I'll certainly be sticking around for the next two segments. 

This week:

Fables #130: Barry Kitson steps in to draw a 1-issue story centering on Junebug, the child of Gepetto's two former puppet spies. Her parents send her off to explore the former Castle Dark on her own so she won't be underfoot while they unpack for their new apartment there. Junebug has more of an adventure than they bargain for, encountering what looks to be the next antagonists for Fabletown to deal with. A fun issue, almost reminiscent of an Astro City-style done-in-one.

From Last week:

Supurbia #8 - Hector Hunt escapes and pretty much blows stuff up, including exposing Sovereign's weakness to magic. Gee, where have I heard that one before...

Decent.

Adventures of Superman #8 - The one, true Superman. Accept no substitutes. And Lex is gloriously evil. Good.

This week:

Legion of Super-Heroes #21 - Things are still going to hell. Bleah. This storyline has been going on too long, and it isn't good enough to sustain itself. Not so good.

Wonder Woman #21 - They don't call him Hercules, but there's no doubt that's who we're dealing with. Lennox and Diana beat him down, then aided by Orion escape to New Genesis, with one apparent casualty--no body though. Good stuff.

Justice League Of America's Vibe #5 - Vibe and Gypsy face the Suicide Squad, and once again it's driven home that the DCPu-Pu platter version of Amanda Waller is evil. I want to enjoy this, but it's hard right now.

Indestructible Hulk #9 - Hulk! Daredevil! Sonic Weapons! Good!

Fables #130 - Young Splinter has an adventure in her new castle home, and what a charming adventure it is too. Good.

X-Factor #258 - Rahne visits John Maddox and decides to stay. Good.

Fantastic Four #9 - They showed Doom's face.

THEY. SHOWED. DOOM'S. FACE.

That's it. The sky's gonna fall now.

Good.

They showed Doom's face? Wow... really never thought I'd see that.

Then again, I guess I haven't.

..." The Face Of DOOM !!!!!!!!!!!" :-0 !

Spoil , please ?

I never heard until recentish of Jack Kirby's theory that Doom stil had a nearly perfectly lovely face , just one scar/marring resulting from the accident that he gloomed over/was obsessed by (Um , leaving out that IIRC story that showed the donning-the-msk for the first time Victor shuuddering from the head of the mask being saled , with heat , at least dirctly over/by his faewhich sure must have lent some scarring in its own right) !!!

From Last week:

Supurbia #8 - Hector Hunt escapes and pretty much blows stuff up, including exposing Sovereign's weakness to magic. Gee, where have I heard that one before...

Decent.

Adventures of Superman #8 - The one, true Superman. Accept no substitutes. And Lex is gloriously evil. Good.

This week:

Legion of Super-Heroes #21 - Things are still going to hell. Bleah. This storyline has been going on too long, and it isn't good enough to sustain itself. Not so good.

Wonder Woman #21 - They don't call him Hercules, but there's no doubt that's who we're dealing with. Lennox and Diana beat him down, then aided by Orion escape to New Genesis, with one apparent casualty--no body though. Good stuff.

Justice League Of America's Vibe #5 - Vibe and Gypsy face the Suicide Squad, and once again it's driven home that the DCPu-Pu platter version of Amanda Waller is evil. I want to enjoy this, but it's hard right now.

Indestructible Hulk #9 - Hulk! Daredevil! Sonic Weapons! Good!

Fables #130 - Young Splinter has an adventure in her new castle home, and what a charming adventure it is too. Good.

X-Factor #258 - Rahne visits John Maddox and decides to stay. Good.

Fantastic Four #9 - They showed Doom's face.

THEY. SHOWED. DOOM'S. FACE.

That's it. The sky's gonna fall now.

Good.

Very well, if it's spoilers you want, it's spoilers you get.

SPOILERS

Ben is concerned that something he did back in college that messed up Victor's experiment and turned him into Doom.  Reed whips up a gadget that allows them to watch everything unfold, but they end up meeting a council of Dooms and then despite their best efforts, Victor goes ahead and does his experiment anyway as he sees it as his destiny.  Not much more to it than that.  You do see Doom's face, and he does have a beauty of a scar.

END SPOILERS

Personally, I think it's one of those things that is better left alone, like Wolverine's origin.  Showing the scar removes some of the mystery, and it would have been better had they not gone there.

My opinion is that Ben should think, "This is why you're hiding yourself!? Look at me!"

From last week:

Adventures of Superman #9 - Clark, Lois, a problem Superman can't punch, and Lex is plotting and plotting. Good.

Invincible #103 - Eve tries to adjust her pregnancy and inability to use her powers, but Angstrom Levy says no!

Good.

And for this week:

Journey Into Mystery #653 - Sif. Beta Ray Bill. Snark and loss. Good.

Hawkeye #11 - An entire issue told from the standpoint of Clint's ex-dog Lucky. Excellent.

Deadpool #12 - Deadpool and company defeat Vetis, and Deadpool starts exploring his past. It's Deadpool, it's good.

FF #8 - Lots happens, but the major thing is that Alex Power is in Doom's...power.

Oh, and Dragon Man has the best apron ever.

Good.

Young Avengers #6 - Prodigy meets Tommy Elliot, and they have an adventure. Good.

Daredevil #27 - Daredevil defeats Bullseye. And Ikari. And Lady Bullseye. Good.

The Unwritten #50 - The beginning of the Fables/Unwritten crossover, and it's good. Tommy is shanghaied into the land of Fables to help fight the Dark Man.

Scarlet Spider #18 - Sales must be down, because this guest stars Wolverine. Anyway, Kaine and Wolverine attack the Assassin's Guild, and I can't complain. Good.

Wolverine and the X-Men #32 - The X-Men attempt to track the missing students and the Hellfire club, and whiskey is a good thing. Okay.

All-Star Western #21 - Jonah time-travels to what is apparently the Dark Knight Returns Gotham and ends up in Arkham. Meanwhile, Stormwatch battles vampires. Good.

Justice League #21 - Shazam (and I cringe every time I have to call Captain Marvel that) finally ends. Finally. And it wasn't worth it. Bleah. Not so good.

Justice League Dark #21 - The gang beat up Xanadu's wayward son. No carrion here. Okay, but really not working for me the same way Constantine seems to be missing something.

Justice League Of America #5 - I should like this more, but I'm so disgusted with the current state of Amanda Waller that it just rings hollow. Anyway, the League beats the Injustice Society. Okay, I suppose.

The Green Team #2 - The team manage to escape the "Riots" with some gadgets, then regroup.

I can't help thinking this would be so much better if Balthazar and Franco were allowed to really cut loose and make it more zany. Okay.

I've only read a handful of the 6/26/13 books I bought today (couldn't get to my home shop yesterday, though I made it to two other ones!).

Daredevil: As Randy says, it's the final showdown between Daredevil and Ikaru, Bullseye, and even Lady Bullseye. There's a lot going on in this issue, but there are two fantastic reversals that happen. In one, the reader's expectations are upended, stylishly revealed by Samnee's art. In another, (as always, SPOILERS) we find out that Matt's baton isn't pointed the way he said it was. A terrific wrap-up tot he storyline.

The Green Team: Better than the first issue - the idea the the Commodore has salvaged and restored a sunken Batmobile is a great one -- but as Randy says, it hasn't really cut loose yet. It did occur to me this issue that of course the bane of these one-percenters is a supervillain called "Riot." Totally slipped by me in issue 1. But this book seems more "serious" than it oughta be, and might have been better served by a handful of lighthearted done-in-ones to get us started.

Justice League of America: I'm not a big fan of Brett Booth, but he showed me in this issue that I'm much rather read a comic with his art than David Finch's. It's an interesting notion that the main bad guy is The Outsider from Flashpoint... wonder where that'll take us? Also, I've got to admit, even though I saw it coming, that I appreciate how deftly Waller played Trevor.

Loved the Daredevil story! Really liked the first reversal; evidently didn't catch the second!

Matt spends the beginning of the issue threatening to telescope his baton right into Bullseye's eye-slit. But instead, the telescoping end has been pointed at Ikaru the whole time.

A few more:

All-Star Western 21: A fun issue, but a lightweight one -- perhaps because 7 of the 20 pages in the Jonah Hex story were splash pages. (Well, one was a double-page spread with a few inset panels). Remember when Jonah Hex plots used to be complicated? This isn't that. Nothing wrong with what we get, but it'd be nice to get a little more, storywise. Also, Stormwatch 18th Century concludes its adventure... but is the century baby Jenny Freedom, as she appears in the role call, or Jenny Steam, as she's referred to at the end of the story? An editing mistake, or did I miss something?

Flash 21: Holy crap, does Geoff Johns have a lot to answer for for changing Impulse to Kid Flash. This Bart is nothing like the one we were introduced to in the 90s (in the same ways Superboy also changed in his Teen Titans), and he's just an unpleasant little snot. There's plenty of fun super-speed racing in this issue, and the art is gorgeous -- and when Bart doesn't feel in control of a situation, even he eases up a bit -- but it's a frustrating diversion from the Reverse Flash story, seemingly meant to remind me that yes, I still hate the Teen Titans.

Lazarus 1: Been waiting a long time for this book by Greg Rucka and Michael Lark, and it starts off on the right foot, introducing us to Forever Carlysle, a "lazarus"  -- essentially a superpowered, unkillable enforcer for her family, one of the few weathy groups on an otherwise devastated planet . But her family is playing her, and eventually she's going to find out. Really good stuff.

Justice League 21: Unlike Randy, I've been enjoying Shazam all along, in the hopes that we'd get to this point... a whole adopted Shazam family, all working together. And it's interesting that "buff Sivana" introduced in the first chapters was a ruse, as the man gets gradually physically devastated by toying with forces beyond his power. Jeez, did Johns and Frank take their time getting here, but I've been enjoying it, even when it's left me scratching my head.

By the way, anyone who didn't read this week's Hawkeye is really missing out.

At first I was afraid it would come off as a gimmick issue or, worse, a "cutesy" issue. But not at all. Very well crafted story and artistic storytelling.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service