Thinking about the latest twists in the Thor saga, I thought about the Silver Age Thor so I was wondering--

• when Odin deposited the newly created Don Blake in front of that medical college, did he think up a complete backstory for the guy, with paperwork and creditials? I know it was the 60s but you still had to have a college diploma to be a doctor!
  • Was it ever confirmed exactly what kind of doctor Blake was? He appeared to be a general practioner (gp) until he had to do complicated surgery.
  • Did Odin ever worry about Don Blake getting, well, killed somehow?
  • How long did it take for Thor's persona/memories to come back? In his first appearance, it was Blake transformed into Thor but soon, Thor's personality took over. It really was very similar to Bruce Banner and the Hulk.
  • Mjolnir was charmed that none but Thor could hold it but it wasn't super-heavy or else Thor would be crashing through the floor, among other things. But if he placed it inside a car, say, could you drive away with it, theoritically?
  • Did Thor truly love Jane Foster or was it Don Blake's emotions?
  • Did Thor have access to Don Blake's knowledge because sometimes the Thunder God seemed confused by technology/modern times?
  • And was Odin Thor's greatest foe or was there meaning to the All-Father's seeming madness?

Views: 1972

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...Was there once a " fandom truism " that Marvel titles that were NOT written by Stan " didn't really count " as Marvel stories , in Marvel's early years ?

Was this a " story fans once told " ?

I saw the concept referred to in one of Fred Hembeck's vintage cartoons .

Philip Portelli said:

When I looked at the credits on Essential Thor Volume1, it becomes apparent that it was not considered as a top tier "Marvel" book. Stan only plotted it from its beginning with Larry Lieber writing #83-91 and Robert Bernstien #92-96. With #97, Lee takes over scripting the series.

Kirby drew #83-89, #93 (Radioactive Man), #97 (Lava Man) [both revisited in The Avengers], then takes over with #102. Joe Sinnott drew #91-92 and #94-96 admirably as does Don Heck with #98-101. #90 with Al Hartley art is Thor's Silver Age nadir, looking like a bad coloring book.

From diverse hands, Thor became Stan and Jack's second signature work after Fantastic Four.

Yep, that would have been Cobra and Hyde who grabbed it with some mechanical device.

Thor bolted into the crowd at the department store, and then transformed back to Don Blake in the confusion.

Then, he came forward and asked for his walking stick in exchange for helping turn Thor in. The Cobra slithered in to get the wood stick, but stopped short. Mr. Hyde destroyed the machine getting to it.  I think Don Blake   transforms to Thor when the cane is struck, returning to the fight.  Jane Foster is outraged that Don would turn Thor in. (Don't recall the issue number, but there are a limited number of these appearances by Hyde and Cobra, so it's in the 100s... (or else #110-111 which is a two-parter where Odin or Balder stops time to allow Thor time to beat the foes and then a miracle cure arrives from Asgard just in time.)

The Baron said:

• Mjolnir was charmed that none but Thor could hold it but it wasn't super-heavy or else Thor would be crashing through the floor, among other things. But if he placed it inside a car, say, could you drive away with it, theoritically?

I could swear I remember a comic where a baddy shifted it with a hydraulic lift of some sort.

If I recall correctly, this has been asked before...by me, and I looked it up through Essentials or Masterworks, and it happens suddenly about issue #105... but don't quote me on that. I'm not sure if it's noted in the GCBD or not, but it was an afterthought by Lee and his idea to graff Ol'd Elizabethan English onto the Norse God's speech.  IMHO, it works.

Dandy Forsdyke said:

What issue of JIM did Thor start using "thou" and "thee"? Was it a gradual process or did it happen between issues?

I have a few questions as well, regarding Thor's creators and innovations.

First, I've looked for a notation in the GCD for when the elizabethan English starts in Thor's speech, but find nothing noted. I'll check again tonight when I'm home from work.

Second, When did Chic Stone start inking Journey into Mystery's Thor strip on a regular basis?  Was it issue #103?  I'm pretty sure that #101-102 is George Ruesoe or George Bell.

Third, Any idea why the first Thor essential volume ends with#112, the battle royal with Hulk? It would have been better if it had stopped with #111, in my view, as the end of the two parter with Cobra and Hyde. I just get the impression that Thor shifted gears into more continued story arc after that one-shot #112, which I always thought was the start of the modern day Thor stories, instead of the unwanted step-child era.

I also feel the first cross-over with Magneto in about #109is the introduction of other Silver Age Marvel heroes (X-men) into the continuing story-line of Thor.  Prior to that, I don't recall any/many direct earth/Marvel superhero connections.

I'd have to look those up, too, but I associate Vince Colletta as the regular inker on Thor, not Stone.
I started rereading Thor from the beginning tonight. I'm almost up to JIM 90. But I also feel they are so making this up as they go along, or else, as I hinted upthread, various creators are pulling this book in vastly different directions. I kinda wish I could see the early letter cols, to see if they shed any light.

You CAN see the early letters columns, as they are reprinted in the entirely in each Omnibus volume.  So, rush out and buy the first Thor Omnibus for $99 if you really want to see all the stories, and read the printed words.  I know it was worth it for me on the FF, Avengers and X-men omnibus.

Yeah, they totally had to be winging this.

I turned in last night and then woke at 3 a.m. realizing I had not done my Thor research...

So I got up, and went to the vault, swung the large door with the time-lock open, and then dug out my Marvel Masterworks volume with Journey Into Mystery #101-110. (Why they stopped in the middle of a two parter puzzles me.  In Daredevil, the extended one more to include all of Wally Wood's work!)

Anyway, I confirmed that Chic Stone started in #103--- and that his work continues beyond #112 with the Hulk battle.  Now, I know that Vince Colleta (most identified with the series) starts someplace in the next half year or so, but I just don't recall where. Perhaps it is the Trial of the Gods...  More research is needed.

And, although I skimmed and found a few odd word expressions from Thor as he was fighting off Cobra and Hyde, there's no obvious shift to "Elizabethian Speak" prior to #109 with Magneto showing up.  For some reason, I associate the Chic Stone inks with the "elizabethian English Speak", but I KNOW that I've looked for this shift before.  I suspect it's referenced in a letters page as well, as the readers noticed it.

I was too tired to do any more, so I closed the vault, turned on the security system, released the dogs, and made sure the armed guards were all in position before I fell into bed.  Whew, this research is exhausting!

PS: I recall someone asking why Larry Lieber was included in the credits of the Thor movie.

While Larry may have been following the lead of ol' cousin Stan, I have read that it was his specific contribution that the hammer be made of some magical property...an Uru mallet, if you will.  Stan asked "What's that?"  And Larry told him that he just made it up out of thin air.

THAT, could be enough of a providence for him to received creator credit in the movie!

Oh, I'm pretty sure you're right, B Dog...  Please keep an eye open for the first "Thou spaketh thusly" to creep into Thor's verbage.  I'm betting it's about #109, myself...  You're about 20 issues or a year and a half away from there right now...

the_original_b_dog said:

I started rereading Thor from the beginning tonight. I'm almost up to JIM 90. But I also feel they are so making this up as they go along, or else, as I hinted upthread, various creators are pulling this book in vastly different directions. I kinda wish I could see the early letter cols, to see if they shed any light.

"To me, my peanuts!!"

the_original_b_dog said:

Yeah, they totally had to be winging this.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service