Over the years here at the Comics Cave there have been a large number of re-reading threads.  Several different Legionnaires have tackled various series, across the ages:  Golden, Silver, Bronze, modern, and current.  Many fine discussions, and links can be found here:

https://captaincomics.ning.com/forum/topics/book-gn-and-collections-review-list

For myself, I'm currently doing four threads, all set in the Silver Age: Avengers, Iron Man, Spider-Man, and Thor.  I have a pretty full plate but that doesn't stop me from thinking of doing other threads in the future.  However, I'm not pleased with my own pace and at this time doing additional threads is simply not going to happen (check back in a few years).  But certainly Legionnaires like Randy Jackson, Richard Mantle, The Baron, Philip Portelli, Jeff of Earth-J, Chris Fluit (just to name a few) and many more have started many great re-reading threads.  I would like to encourage these fine folks - and indeed all members of this board, even if you haven't ever started such a thread before - to consider beginning new discussions.  Since Silver Age Marvel threads are what's in my wheelhouse at the moment, I'm going to share my thoughts on threads we haven't had yet .... but hopefully may see in the future.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm going to give my thoughts on possible re-reading projects, and grade them on a scale of 1-10 of how much I would like to see them discussed on the board.  I subscribe to Marvel Unlimited, so I think I have access to all of these stories and would read along and participate in any discussions even if my enthusiasm for such threads is limited.  I'll also list the issues that I think should be part of any such discussion, but these would certainly only be suggestions on my part.

• Ant-Man / Giant-Man and the Wasp

Tales to Astonish 27, 35-69 - (Jan 62, Sept 62 - July 65)

Henry Pym's debut and the entire Ant-Man series in Tales to Astonish before Hank and Jan get booted from the book and replaced by the Sub-Mariner.  The Pyms won't get a solo feature again until the mid 1970's, in Marvel Feature # 4-10

Henry Pym debuted in the early days of the Marvel Silver Age, in a typical pre-FF Marvel short story in TTA 27 (Jan 62).  He doesn't become Ant-Man until his 2nd appearance in TTA 35 (Sept 62).  He invents a potion that can shrink anything to a tiny size and - naturally - decides to test it on himself.  After a terrifying adventure in an ant hill, he dumped his invention down the sink and resolved to never use it again.  However, most likely due to the popularity of the Fantastic Four, Pym puts on a costume and gets his own series as Ant-Man (and later Giant-Man) and gets a crime-fighting partner in the Wasp.

Pym's series is one the few failures of the Marvel Silver Age.  Stan tried, but Jack only stuck around for the first half dozen or so issues, so there's no Lee / Kirby magic here.  Other artists come and go, some from a bygone era.  Poor Hank changes identities, changes costumes, and is a contender for Marvel's lamest rogues' gallery in the Silver Age.

My interest in seeing an Ant-Man re-reading thread: 4/10.

• I feel a tad guilty that my ASM and Avengers projects both stalled some time ago.

A change in work circumstances and death in the family threw my routine and in truth I probably needed a break anyway.

I'm always up for a read through thread though and would try to contribute.

Why oh why are the later adventures of Pym so elusive?

The 1st Epic Collection stopped just as things started moving.

• I've actually been planning some read throughs of some more modern works. It's just a matter of how I decided I want to do them.

• I have notes on a Bronze Age Justice League topic and pulled out the Freedom Fighters but I had problems with my eye that did not allow for long term staring at a computer! 

Plus I am so behind on my Legion thread that I should be expelled from here!

• Richard Mantle said:

I'm not sure how far the Epic collection goes, but since AntMan/Giant-Man is not really popular, I was able to pick up his two Masterworks (one hardbound, one not) cheaply. They take him from his first non-hero appearance through the end of his Tales to Astonish run, minus his appearances in other titles.. 

• Richard Mantle said:

I feel a tad guilty that my ASM and Avengers projects both stalled some time ago.

A change in work circumstances and death in the family threw my routine and in truth I probably needed a break anyway.

Sorry for your loss, Richard.  Do not be hard on yourself.  There's nothing wrong with taking a break.  Both you and other Legionnaires like Randy maintained impressive paces on your projects and garnered respect across this community for the quality of your commentaries as well as the tempo of them.  Whenever you are ready to resume your discussions, I will be there.

I'm always up for a read through thread though and would try to contribute.

I checked and I find it interesting that the Ant-Man Epic Collection stopped at TTA #59.  As I stated above, the adventures of the Pyms continue in Astonish for an additional ten issues, and then in the early 70's, Ant-Man headlines six issues of Marvel Feature (MF # 4-10, with one issue being a reprint).  I think that would make a thin Volume 2 Epic Collection but I suppose it could be rounded it out with a few Avengers issues like # 59 and 60 (debut of Yellowjacket, Hank and Jan's wedding). 

•      Thankyou John,

That means a lot honestly.

Who knows -- New Year New Outlook / Mojo back?

Thanks again.

John Dunbar said:

Sorry for your loss, Richard.  Do not be hard on yourself.  There's nothing wrong with taking a break.  Both you and other Legionnaires like Randy maintained impressive paces on your projects and garnered respect across this community for the quality of your commentaries as well as the tempo of them.  Whenever you are ready to resume your discussions, I will be there.

• Two discussions I would be intertested in seeing:

Walt Simonson's Thor

John Byrne's Fantastic Four

Perhaps Miller's Daredevil and Michelinie/Layton Iron Man as well.

On the DC side, Perez's Wonder Woman and Byrne's Superman.

I wouldn't be able to host any of these, but I would participate.

There is a third volume of Ant-Man/Giant-Man coming soon, featuring Henry Pym from Marvel Feature, Bill Foster from Black Goliath (and Champions) and Scott Lang from Marvel Premiere.

• Hmm....those sound interesting. I even have the source material available.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Two discussions I would be intertested in seeing:

Walt Simonson's Thor

John Byrne's Fantastic Four

This reply was deleted.