I was looking through some old comics when I thought of a new game. I call it Three of a Kind. Here's my first entry. 

Hoy

Views: 3818

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Marvel had success in the 1960s transforming some of its mystery titles into "split" titles featuring two super-heroes as co-features. DC tried it, too, with less success.

Hoy

Runner-up is House of Mystery, which featured both Manhunter from Mars and Dial H for Hero, but J'onn J'onzz never made the cover again when Robbie Reed arrived.

Hoy

Hoy Murphy said:

Marvel had success in the 1960s transforming some of its mystery titles into "split" titles featuring two super-heroes as co-features. DC tried it, too, with less success.

I think it may have had more to do with the characters and creators than the split concept.

That said, I wasn't a huge fan of that concept for Marvel either. The stories read like adventure comic strips: a couple pages resolving last issue's cliffhanger, a few pages of story, a couple pages setting up the new cliffhanger. 

TTA with Subby and the Hulk was undoubtedly my least favorite Marvel comic. They were two really cranky, put-upon guys.

-- MSA

For the fun of it, another set of split books

These guys need an attitude adjustment. 

Hoy

I always preferred the original green uniforms of the Doom Patrol.

I guess he's actually Undeveloped Negative Batman

Now he's done it! The postal inspectors will step in.

And there's more!  Someone's always trying to get in to the Fortress of Solitude.

Can anyone put their finger on the link between these covers?

Of the first 21 Justice League covers (18 JLA and 3 Brave&Bold), this was first to show Superman and Batman. They only accounted for nine of Faust's fingers by using them and Snapper Carr. If they'd waited a few more issues they could have added The Atom for his right thumb.

Peter Wrexham said:

Can anyone put their finger on the link between these covers?

The JLA cover is the only one with which I am familiar. Here's another one.

Hoy

The three "fingers" covers I've already posted form a set featuring super-heroes  That Sensation cover is part of another set I had lined up of horror covers.  Here they are.

Cool!  I had never seen those other two covers. 

Hoy

Peter Wrexham said:

The three "fingers" covers I've already posted form a set featuring super-heroes  That Sensation cover is part of another set I had lined up of horror covers.  Here they are.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service