Time Lord Victorious

Earlier this year, a brand new multi-platform Doctor Who story told across several media including novels, comics and audios began to be released. It features the Eighth, Ninth and Tenth Doctors. So far, Big Finish has released five parts of the overall saga: a three-part Eighth Doctor story; a "Short Trip" featuring the Master, available for download only; a one-part story featuring the Eighth and Tenth Doctors available only for download and on vinyl. 

Personally, I'm ambivalent about this entire project. Despite the franchise's origin and long history as a TV show, I have grown to think of Doctor Who as an audio thing, and I prefer to listen to CDs in my car. When I first read about this project I decided to give it a pass, but when I visited the Big Finish web-site and saw the Eighth Doctor three-parter is now available in its entirety on CD, I changed my mind. I don't have it yet, but i wanted to have this thread in place for when it arrives. 

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I received a partial shipment: parts one and three of the Eighth doctor story; part two is temporarily out of stock. I don't know why part two would be in more demand (if, indeed, it is) or why fewer copies were made (if, indeed, there were) or what the story is, but that's the situation. I also received a one-off "Time Lord Victorious" story featuring the Fourth Doctor 9which i failed to mention above), and that seemed like as good of a place to start as any.

GENETICS OF THE DALEKS: I don't know about the rest of "Time Lord Victorious," but this particular chapter came about when BBC contacted Big Finish and asked if they would be interested in doing an audio adventure that tied in with a video game. The game and the story each stand on their own, but complement each other. For example, the audio reveals certain clues about how to win the game. I don't know what the game adds to the audio, but the story (about a cryogenic ship infiltrated by a group of criminals... oh, and Daleks) is perfectly understandable on its own.

It's a nice little Dalak story on it's own, and I wasn't really sure how it is supposed to tie into "Time Lord Victorious" until the Fourth Doctor meets the Dalek mutant face-to-face. The Dalek identifies him as "the fourth Doctor in sequence according to my data."

"You've made a list!" the Doctor exclaims. "Am I your favorite?" (Can't you just hear Tom Baker say those lines?) The Dalek explains about the Time Lord Victorious. As near as I can tell, it's a future incarnation of the Doctor which sounds like an amalgam of the worst aspects of the War Doctor and the Valeyard combined. I don't know if that's a reference to the Eighth Doctor or some other aspect of the Doctor, but the Dalek has already been defeated by him and came back in time to give the Fourth Doctor foreknowledge in the hope that the Time Lord Victorious would never come about.

I suppose "Genetics of the Daleks" and the Eighth Doctor three-parter could be listened to in either order, either from the Doctor's POV or the Dalek's, but I don't plan to listen to part one until I have received part two. 

• "I don't plan to listen to part one until I have received part two."

I still don't have part two, but I have received notification that it's in the mail. That's enough for me to move ahead with part one in hope I will have part two by next week.

HE KILLS ME, HE KILLS ME NOT: The action is set on a planet evocative of the American Wild West and features some of the worst American accents I have ever heard. There is an Ood assassin (yes, you read that right) which is incongruous, but not interesting enough to carry the whole episode. In the last scene, the doctor is confronted by a Dalek. 

• Worse than the ones in "The Gunfighters"?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

HE KILLS ME, HE KILLS ME NOT: The action is set on a planet evocative of the American Wild West and features some of the worst American accents I have ever heard. 

• "Worse than the ones in 'The Gunfighters'?"

I thought about those; yes.

Oh, and the Ood's name is "Brian." 

• "In the last scene, the Doctor is confronted by a Dalek." 

THE ENEMY OF MY ENEMY:

"The people of Wrax are happy to begin peaceful negotiations with the Dalek Empire. The two species are preparing to engage in an alliance that will last throughout the ages. The only one who seems to object to this happy union is the Doctor. He knows that you can never trust the Daleks. But more than that, he knows that the Wraxians should never have existed."

If this were a comic book written by Stan Lee, the splash page blurb would read something like, "The Doctor has been captured by the Daleks! We'll fill you in on the rest as we go barreling along!" The Doctor is confronted by the Dalek Execution and the Time Strategist. the latter informs him...

"Your extermination has been delayed until we get what we want."

"Oh? And what is that?"

"Your... help."

[CUE THEME MUSIC]

The histories of entire races are being wiped out, and the Daleks' fear theirs will be next. One race has unearthed an ancient technology which has the capability of "devolving" a race's history until such a point they are deemed not dangerous and then given the chance to "re-evolve" in a different direction. The race which discovered this technology has been using it on whichever races they deem unworthy for whatever reason. The plot eventually leads the Eighth Doctor to a similar decision the Fourth once had to make in "Genesis of the Daleks." The Doctor ends up forming a temporary alliance with the Daleks to defeat their common foe, but the Doctor wants to destroy the technology whereas the Daleks want to control it. After the immediate threat is dealt with, the story leads the Doctor and the Daleks to continue their alliance and takes them far into the past. 

• MUTUALLY ASSURED DESTRUCTION:

"The fallout of the great battle. Outnumbered and alone, on a Dalek time-ship careering through the vortex, the Doctor must use all his cunning to survive. As the saucer disintegrates around them, the Doctor is trapped with a crew of increasingly desperate Daleks. Or are the Daleks trapped with him?"

The "high concept" of this one is "Die Hard on a Dalek Timeship." What sets this apart from other Dalek adventures is that not all of the Daleks are on the same page. they are usually foot-soldiers (or at least of like mind), but this one has the Time Strategist and the Controller both trying to curry favor with the Emperor with the Doctor caught in the middle. 

This reply was deleted.