Tomb of Dracula question

Hey gang,

I'm considering picking up Tomb of Dracula in trades at some point.  It might not be soon, but I at least want to add it to my wish list.  Should I get the Essential Tomb of Draculas in black and white, or the color trades that are coming out now (volume 3 is due in January)? 

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I haven't seen the color trades, but I was very happy with the Essentials. 

• I think Gene Colan's work looks amazing in black and white.

• Black and white is fine for this series.

• Thanks, guys. 

• Gene Colan's work actually looks better in black & white than color. He thought in terms of light and shadow, and this comes across very well in the B&W Essentials.

Get them, and you'll find yourself going back to reread them more than once, as I have. They're keepers. I regard it as the best comic book series of the '70s.

• I did get a color trade that reprinted some ToD issues a while back -- I think it came out with one of the Blade movies. And I have to concur -- while it was nice to see the stories in color, the original coloring on slick white paper didn't do the book a whole lot of favors. If the trades have recolored artwork, though, they might be worth seeking out. 

• I've only seen the original Tomb of Dracula comics in color, and they looked good then. However, I concur that the Gene Colan/Tom Palmer team does look good in black and white, which can't be said of every art team.

• Oh, the colors on the original comics looked good, no doubt. The bright white paper on the Blade trade is what made them look too bright. (Still enjoyed it, though!)

• I remember the first Essential Tomb of Dracula being delayed but when it did come out, the other volumes followed very quickly. To put it in perspective, TOD's fourth volume came out before the Fantastic Four's fourth!

• The fourth volume reprints stories from the B&W magazines, mostly outside the continuity of the color comic. Quality varies widely for the B&W stories ... some are excellent, some are awful. I'd get the first 3 volumes first.

I've read that Marv Wolfman's lawsuit against Marvel over ownership of Blade delayed the first Essential's publication. Marv lost the suit.

This reply was deleted.