A while back, I logged some week-to-week posts on DC’s digital reprint program through Comixology. It’s been a while, and their digital offerings have matured, so I thought I’d take another look at what they’re adding each week. Currently, they seem to be doing about 30 books a week. I might not list all the issue numbers going forward – if the 90s Superman titles continue moving forward at two of each a week, there’s not much value in listing each issue. But let’s take a look at this week’s, and let’s see where the patterns take us, shall we?

90s Superman: DC is following the 90s Superman titles (soon to be the 2000s Superman, as this week’s titles are from December 1999) pretty quickly, giving us 8 issues of the books every week. There’s a lot of material to get through, but that’s still an admirable clip. We may only have a few more weeks of this, judging by Action Comics (the one title of the bunch that doesn’t change its numbering and continues for a long while) – 761 is the most recent issue, and Action already seems to be in the digital library from 769 on. Superman, Adventures of Superman and Superman: Man of Steel have bigger gaps, though. 

Action Comics 760, 761

Adventures of Superman 574, 575

Superman 152, 153

Man of Steel 95, 96

Arion: 11, 12

DC has been adding two issues of Arion: Lord of Atlantis a week for the last 6 weeks. There are 35 issues and a special, so there's a way to go before the series is completed.

DC Comics Presents: 75, 76

DCCP started out at a faster pace, but has been going two a week for a little while now. There are about 20 issues to go. Bonus: More Arion this week, in issue 75!

Guy Gardner: Warrior: 33

11 issues to go.

Huntress: 19, 4-issue 1994 series

We wrap up the Cavalieri/Staton ongoing that introduced Helena Bertinelli, and then power through a Chuck Dixon mini from 1994. Will Huntress return next week, or will we move on?

Justice League America (Bwa-ha-ha) 51, 52

This one has a ways to go before having everything available.

Manhunter: 34

Four more issues till it’s all there!

Mister Miracle: 23-25

This wraps up the 70s run – Kirby and then Marshall Rogers, it’s all there! (I think DC also recently wrapped the 70s Return of the New Gods run, too.)

Superman (Bronze Age): 233

This is an interesting one. The Kryptonite Nevermore cover – I’m surprised it wasn’t available before this. Will DC continue from here? Their 70s Superman offerings on Comixology are paltry.

Wanderers: 7, 8

This 80s Legion spinoff ran 13 issues, so we’re almost there.

Wonder Woman (Silver Age): 130, 131

DC has been making silver age Wonder Woman stories available, probably wishing to expand their catalog in anticipation of the movie. At this point the silver age issues go from 112-131, with a couple of gaps.

Swamp Thing (Diggle/Dysart run): 25

4 more issues to go.

Trigger: 5

This Vertigo sci-fi series lasted 8 issues. I don’t remember it at all.

That’s a pretty exhaustive look at this week’s offerings. Next week, I’ll probably just note new additions (what will replace Mister Miracle? The '89 and '96 series have already been collected, so we might be in for something new. And there might be more Huntress comics that haven't been reprinted yet, but Comixology has a bunch of them listed already, and the Bat-universe is so sprawling it's tough to search), unexpected omissions, breaks from the patterns, and go forward from there. 

And to make things easy to follow:
Week 2. (April 6, 2017)

Week 3 (April 13, 2017)

Week 4 (April 20, 2017)

Week 5 (April 27, 2017)

Week 6 (May 4, 2017)

Week 7 (May 11, 2017)

Week 8 (May 18, 2017)

Week 9 (May 25, 2017)

Week 10 (June 1, 2017) -- All the golden age Wonder Woman goodness!

Week 11 (June 8, 2017)

Week 12 (June 15, 2017)

Week 13 (June 22, 2017)

Week 14 (June 29, 2017)

Week 15 (July 6, 2017)

Week 16 (July 13, 2017) -- Our Worlds at War! Underworld Unleashed!

Week 17 (July 20, 2017) -- The Great Ten! More Wonder Woman!

Week 18 (July 27, 2017) -- Batman Confidential and Deathblow? Young Heroes in Love?? Doom Patrol!

Week 19 (Aug 3, 2017) -- Some Bronze-age Batman!

Week 20 (Aug 10, 2017) -- Loeb/Sale Challengers begins!

Week 21 (Aug 17, 2017) -- Silver Age Challs!

MIDWEEK SALE BLAST (Aug 22, 2017): Wildstorm!

Week 22 (Aug 24, 2017) -- Holding pattern...

Week 23 (Aug 31, 2017) -- chugging along

Week 24 (Sept 7, 2017) -- Same old, but with newer Challengers

Week 25 (Sept 14, 2017) -- Baron/Jones Deadman debuts

Week 26 (Sept 21, 2017) -- Holding steady, with more Deadman

Week 27 (Sept 28, 2017) -- Deadman in Action Comics Weekly?

Week 28 (Oct 5, 2017) -- A slow swerve into Batman

Week 29 (Oct 5, 2017) -- Doom Patrol finishes in the smallest week ever

The Gap List: a list of unexplained or awkward skips.

Views: 10225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just three new books this week... and for each week this month. Let's get to 'em.

Blood Syndicate 22: By Ivan Velez Jr. & ChrisCross. The gang faces its own mortality, and Masquerade is now a renegade!     

Hardware 28: By Maggie Blaustein, Yves Fezzani, and Prentis Rollins. Conclusion of the 3-part Hunt for Deathwish storyline.  

The New Guardians 1: By Steve Englehart & Joe Staton. A group of humans (and one plant) have been granted powers and the mission to be humanity's (and, I guess, plantkind's) next step in evolution! This won't go well.

I've been catching up on the original Milestone books in these past few days, and have now read each of the four titles up to the Shadow War crossover (absent the unavailable Shadow Cabinet and Xombi installments). Surprisingly, I'm finding Blood Syndicate the most addictive of the books -- its style is loose and freewheeling, and it's got a cast with a LOT of different motivations all on the same team. It's like reading X-Men in its late 80s heyday. It's sketchy and doesn't always work, but it's a blast just the same.

Three new DC backlist books today! Here goes:

Icon 28: Part of the Long Hot Summer crossover, by the usual Icon team of Dwayne MacDuffie and Marc Bright. I haven't mentioned this before, so I'll list the Long Hot Summer titles in the next post. There's a lot of 'em...and with DC's current Milestone schedule, there'll be a lot of gaps for a while.

Static 29: Static busts up a meeting of drug dealers, and finds one of his friends among them. By Ivan Velez and Wilfred Santiago.

The New Guardians 2: Barred from going to South Africa to fight the white supremacist who sent the vampire Hemogoblin after them, the New Guardians instead work with the CIA to bust up a South American drug cartel. By Steve Englehart and Joe Staton.

I read the first two issues of New Guardians on DCU Infinite last night. They're AMAZING. They're clumsy and bonkers, with no clear indication of what the direction of the book should be. The characters are aimless in a way that makes sense: After all, the Guardians of the Universe just told them that they were the next step in humanity's evolution, and then left to go to the stars. So what does that mean? Within 3 pages of the first issue, there's a discussion of whether that means they all need to start having babies with each other...which gay wizard Extrano is not down with, and he also mentions Floro is a plant. So does that mean Ram, a computer man partially made of silicon, is the only Y chromosome that gets passed along? Anyway, some of them go to a disco, get attacked by a vampire, discover a strange symbiotic bond between Jet and Harbinger (Jet gets wounded by the Hemogoblin, but Harbinger also feels the wound), and maybe become HIV positive because it turns out the vampire has AIDS. And while they wait to find out, they try to go to South Africa, are barred from doing so by the CIA, who instead sic them on Snowflame, a superpowered drug dealer who gets his powers from cocaine! Because of course he does.  

Highly recommended. New Guardians ran for 12 issues, and I sure didn't want to read it when it first came out, because it was too ridiculous to take seriously. Now I'm dying to read it for those exact same reasons.

Here are the issues in Milestone's Long Hot Summer crossover. Right now the Static run has already passed it, the Icon issues are in the thick of it, and the Hardware chapters start next week. Blood Syndicate will catch up in a couple months. As for the rest of it -- Kobalt, Xombi, Shadow Cabinet, and the three Long Hot Summer issues themselves -- that's anyone's guess. 

The crossover has to do with tensions rising in a new neighborhood of Dakota called Utopia Park... a name that is really begging for trouble, right? It ran from June through September, 1995.

Bolded issues are available on DCUI and Comixology. I'll update this now and then.

Long Hot Summer #1
Kobalt #14
Shadow Cabinet #14
Xombi #14
Static #25
Icon #27
Blood Syndicate #28
Hardware #29
Kobalt #15
Shadow Cabinet #15
Xombi #15
Long Hot Summer #2
Static #26
Icon #28
Blood Syndicate #29
Hardware #30
Kobalt #16
Shadow Cabinet #16
Xombi #16
Static #27
Icon #29
Long Hot Summer #3
Blood Syndicate #30
Hardware #31

3 new old comics this week!

Blood Syndicate 23: By Ivan Velez Jr. & ChrisCross. Kwai’s unleashed magic causes the members of the Blood Syndicate to revert to their pre-Big Bang forms. Looks like we'll finally get to see what Brickhouse looked like... and the gang might discover that Boogieman is a white guy!     

Hardware 29: By Duane MacDuffie and Humberto Ramos. Blood Syndicate guest stars as Hardware joins the Long Hot Summer crossover!  

The New Guardians 3: By Cary Bates & Joe Staton. The team finally gets to South Africa to confront Janwillem Kroef, their apartheid-lovin' nemesis. Cary Bates has fully taken over the scripting at this point. Hopefully he'll carry that crazy Englehart torch proudly.

DC's having a Peacemaker & Friends sale... which, among other things, discounts the complete Taylor/Redondo Suicide Squad run to 10 bucks. It's excellent.

Another three DC backlist books today. And it looks like the 3-a-week schedule will last at least through Feb. Here goes:

Icon 29: Part of the Long Hot Summer crossover, by the usual Icon team of Dwayne MacDuffie and Marc Bright. Icon and Rocket put aside their differences after a riot.

Static 30: When one of Static's closest friends dies, he faces hard truths.  By Maggie Blaustein, Yves Fezzani, and Wilfred Santiago.

The New Guardians 4: Kilowog tests the New Guardians' powers; they're attacked by a giant robot. Meanwhile, Tegra Kalmaku is pregnant and kidnapped by the South Africans! By Cary Bates and Joe Staton; the book's definitely getting less weird now that Bates has taken over. 

Dark Horse is having a Resident Alien sale, with most of the trades available for under $5. I love this book by Peter Hogan and Steve Parkhouse, a mix of X-Files, Diagnosis Murder, and Northern Exposure. It's a very different tone from the TV show (which has just returned for a second season) -- give it a try!

(I've just renamed this thread; it's no longer limited to Comixology, and I think the simpler title suits it.)

I can see your point Rob, but what about Marvel and other comic book companies' digital offerings? And if that is up to someone else, I am not applying for the position. Just curious.

Yep, that's up to someone else -- preferably someone better versed in Marvel than I am. 

Marvel tends to have a different release strategy, as far as I can tell. Instead of portioning out a run of issues over time, they release a series in big chunks, then move on to another series, with (as far as I can tell) no warning as to when they'll ever return to a given character or series. For example, today on Comixology (and probably Marvel Unlimited) they released Doctor Strange: Sorcerer Supreme issues 60-75, and Annual #4. They also released a couple issues of Namor, a Fantastic Four Annual, and a Strange-adjacent issue of Midnight Sons. I don't follow Marvel nearly as much as I follow DC, so I don't really have a grasp of what's in any of those issues. (I just looked at the description Comixology gives for one issue of Namor -- "Trieste Rahn and Namor fight the behemoth mutant Xlyym" -- and when I only recognize one proper noun out of three, there's no way I'm dipping my toe into those waters.) 

Lee Houston, Junior said:

I can see your point Rob, but what about Marvel and other comic book companies' digital offerings? And if that is up to someone else, I am not applying for the position. Just curious.

We've got a surprise addition to DC's digital backlist this week -- a fourth, unexpected comic! Let's go!

Blood Syndicate 24: By Ivan Velez Jr. & John Higgins. Third Rail and Brickhouse quit!

Hardware 30: By Duane MacDuffie and Robert Walker. The Long Hot Summer crossover continues as Edward Alva forms a villain team.  

The New Guardians 5: By Cary Bates & Joe Staton. The GL Corps citadel has been robbed by Japanese businessmen, but the trail leads to Russia! It's the New Guardians vs some new Rocket Reds! Also, the team continues to wrestle with various members' HIV diagnosis.

Batman 133: Here's the mystery book -- a new Silver Age Batman comic! In one story, Bat-Mite tries to impress Batwoman. In another, it's Batman vs Kite Man (in what I believe is his first appearance). Hell yeah! Also, Batman builds a Batcave on a boat. Stories written by Bill Finger (and one unknown); art by Sheldon Moldoff and Dick Sprang. There are only a handful of Batman comics available between issue 46 (from 1948) and issue 164 (the first "New Look" issue, from 1964); hopefully we'll get more. But this issue might just be a one-off due to the ever-popular multimedia star, Kite Man.

DC's digital sale celebrates Black History Month (but only through the 14th, apparently). One series that's available but not on DCU Infinite is American Carnage, one of the last titles Vertigo published.  

No surprises this week, just the three issues we were promised:

Icon 30: After the Long Hot Summer crossover, Icon prepares to leave earth for good. He's got a stowaway. By the usual Icon team of Dwayne MacDuffie and Marc Bright. 

Static 31: By Maggie Blaustein, Yves Fezzani, and guest artist Gil Kane! A self-contained jumping-on point that's also Milestone's 200th comic. New elements of Static's origins are revealed, including and inspiring figure known as the Scarlet Scarab.

We're closing in on the end of the four main Milestone titles, as most of these books are entering their final year of issues. Of course, that's still six months of biweekly offerings to get them all wrapped up. But Blood Syndicate wraps at 35, Icon at 42, Static at 45, and Hardware at 50. There are other Milestone titles that can replace them -- Kobalt, Xombi, and Shadow Cabinet all ran for 16-22 issues, Heroes was an ongoing that ran for 6, and there were miniseries for Holocaust, Deathwish, and Wise Son (as well as Static Shock: Rebirth of the Cool, already available). Plus there were 3 Long Hot Summer issues, and a Worlds Collide crossover with the Superman Family. But however it shakes out, the core Milestone books should all be available by this summer. 

The New Guardians 6: DCU crossovers come hot and heavy -- this post-Millennium team is now involved in Invasion! at the Russia/China border. By Cary Bates and Joe Staton. 

Three more DC backlist comics available this week -- at least on DCU Infinite, and I assume on Comixology too. (It's tougher to find select issues on Amazon's Kindle store; I haven't got the knack for it yet.)

Blood Syndicate 25: By Ivan Velez Jr. & ChrisCross. A much-requested character returns. Judging from the cover, it's Tech-9! But he's dead...isn't he...?

Hardware 31: By Duane MacDuffie and Robert Walker. The Long Hot Summer crossover continues as the riots in Dakota complicate things.  

The New Guardians 7: By Cary Bates & Joe Staton. A time for mourning and memories in this Invasion Aftermath! crossover. Extrano plays Hamlet on the cover. 

I missed a week because I was curling, so let's catch up:

Last week, February 22, DC added these three titles:

Icon 31: Under a classic Batman & Robin homage cover by Howard Chaykin, planet Earth is put on trial by aliens! By the usual Icon team of Dwayne MacDuffie and Marc Bright. 

Static 32: By Maggie Blaustein, Yves Fezzani, and Humberto Ramos! Swarm, a sentient collection of bees, fights Static. Suuuuuure.... 

The New Guardians 8: After the death of one of their own, the New Guardians enter South Africa to rescue Tom Kalmaku's pregnant wife, Terga! By Cary Bates and Joe Staton. 

And this week, March 1, they added these three:

Blood Syndicate 26: By Ivan Velez Jr. & ChrisCross. How can Tech-9 be alive again? And he's not the only one.

Hardware 32: By Duane MacDuffie and Denys Cowan. Alva's dead, and Curtis has taken control of Alva Industries... but of course there are complications.  

The New Guardians 9: By Cary Bates & Joe Staton. The rescue continues! Things go from bad to worse!

Also, in March, the plan is to continue releasing Milestone books, and to wrap up New Guardians with issue 12. After that, we get Captain Atom: Armageddon #7... the 2005 Wildstorm series ran for 9 issues, and apparently has been languishing unfinished at issue 6 for some time!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion R.I.P. Tom Palmer
"Aw, man, that's too bad. He was one of the first inkers, I recognized. It was always a…"
34 minutes ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Time for more excitement in the "fun" house. (Image courtesy of the Grand Comics…"
57 minutes ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
1 hour ago
Captain Comics posted discussions
1 hour ago
Captain Comics replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion R.I.P. Tom Palmer
"From the Hollywood Reporter Heat Vision newsletter: SAD NEWS ARRIVED AS WE FINISHED THE NEWSLETTER:…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
""They make changes for all kinds of reasons..." The combination of issues #9 and #13 into…"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion R.I.P. Tom Palmer
"Well shit. First Neal Adams and now Tom Palmer. There is no one whose pencils Tom Palmer could not…"
2 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC posted a discussion

R.I.P. Tom Palmer

A sad announcement on legendary comics inker…See More
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"Jeff of Earth-J said: ...... some photos of the guy playing Dream but he didn't look…"
3 hours ago
Randy Jackson replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Superhuman Characters who Can Split into multiple versions of themselves or multiple physical people
"Eclipso,  The Spectre and Composite Superman are good  Captain Marvel(Xam) doesn't…"
5 hours ago
Randy Jackson replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Superhuman Characters who Merge Together
"Sounds like Robby Reed belongs on the list of characters who split. The others are good and will be…"
5 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
5 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service