There are, really, only four silver age comic book titles that hold up today...for me.

Carl Barks' Disney work.

Most of the Archie titles.

The Amazing Spider-Man by Lee, Ditko, and Romita, Sr.

The Incredible Hulk by Lee, Kirby, Ditko and friends.

I appreciate the rest...but, man, I just can't seem to finish a Showcase or an Essential-type collection of any other comics from that era.

What have you read from that era that didn't take superpowers to finish?

Views: 557

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff of Earth-J said:
Speaking of which...

Cavaliere (moderator) said:
The absolute worst, though, the one that took incredible willpower to finish, was Showcase Presents Wonder Woman. Oh, gosh, that was garbage.

...Other-Jeff traded his SPWW to me. Thanks a lot, buddy! :P

Sucker! Photobucketbwah ha ha
I have to say that Tom vs. the Flash and subsequently, Tom vs. Aquaman does a great job of paying homage as well as satire to those old Silver Age stories. If you haven't listened to that podcast by Tom Katers (of Around Comics and sometimes iFanboy), you are truly missing out on some awesome stuff.

I agree with the others who have said that the Essentials are a difficult way to read any comics title, because the issues weren't written to be read that way. It's much the same problem with collections of comic strips that duplicate scenes so much because they have to keep reminding readers of what came before in case they didn't see it. That herky-jerky approach makes it tough to read, but usually the cliff-hangers keep me moving forward.

I found that the FF is one of the few that I can read in long runs without tiring of the rhythm. There are others, like ASM, that I also can read, but there's a lot of padding.

One of the big problems with the Marvel method is that Stan could write a script that said, "Spidey and Doc Ock fight" and John Romita could turn it into seven well-choreographed pages. But they're really easy to skip, because it's going to be a lot of comic-book "action" because JR didn't want to take the time to add interesting plot points on his own, and Stan didn't provide any.

So I can read a lot of Spidey's in a row, too, but I'm often flipping along through the long slugfests not reading all the copy, no matter how witty it might be and looking to get back to the soap opera or other plots.

That's probably true of most comics until later on when writers started thinking in terms of longer stories cut up into pieces. Nowadays, many comics are better read in collections, because that's really the way to read them.

I think the SP and Essentials are best read with a stack of 10 or 20 next to us and we read one or two stories and then go to the next one. It probably also helps to be about 15 years old, because that's who those were written for.

I can handle WW stories in small doses, because there's nothing else like it and there's a good amount of variety between the stories, even if most of it is nonsense. The one I simply could not finish was The War That Time Forgot. I should have read it in smaller doses.

-- MSA

If I'm reading any one series, I usually try to have at least a DAY between episodes.

The one I simply could not finish was The War That Time Forgot. I should have read it in smaller doses.

I am right there with ya on that one, buddy. I still haven't been able to pick it back up. It really got mind numbing.

Travis Herrick said:

The one I simply could not finish was The War That Time Forgot. I should have read it in smaller doses.

I am right there with ya on that one, buddy. I still haven't been able to pick it back up. It really got mind numbing.

Well, as has been mentioned before, those old stories weren't written to be read one after the other, but to be read with a month's lag in between. That said, because those stories are so repetitive, sometimes I wonder if the writers -- particularly Bob Kanigher -- didn't realize they were so much the same, or didn't care. I always liked DC's war comics over Marvel's, but I will readily admit that Kanigher could do the same bloody thing the same bloody way month after month.
I'm actually reading some Golden Age Wonder Woman stories on my iPad. They're surprisingly good. Goofy, often, but solid stories. They're leaps and bounds above any Silver Age or Bronze Age WW stories that I've read. Wonder Woman volume one had about 50 story pages an issue. There are several individual stories in each issue but all of the stories for that issue interconnect. It's very clever.
I always liked Golden Age Wonder Woman stories when they were reprinted. They were quirky, bizarre and entertaining. She had the weirdest villains, her own mythology, so to speak, of supporting cast, gimmicks and themes. And quite frankly, you couldn't mistake her stories for anyone else's! She was an individual, a beacon of hope. In short, she was a wonder!

In their continuity and characterisation, and the complexity of their series lore, they're more like Silver Age and post Silver Age comics than most Golden Age comics.

My comics-shop guy told me the Golden Age WONDER WOMAN Archives were his favorite of all the Golden Age reprints he'd read. When I got ahold of them, I could see what he meant.

My intro to WW was Kanigher-Anderu-Esposito. Nice, but never inspired me to get a 2nd issue.  I also saw her in JLA-- Fox-Sekowsky-Sachs, and later, Englehart-Dillin-McLaughlin. I started buying her book regular when Gene Colan got on it, then continued with Don Heck all the way to the end, thru George Perez' entire run as artist and writer, but then dropped off shortly after he left. I picked up a few issues here and there since then, but except for John Byrne's run, was never inspired to keep reading.

So after all that, I found Marston-Peter BY A WIDE MARGIN the best Ww ever, ever done. Of course. They created her. It's not always true (the Legion of Super-Heroes is a prime example), but sometimes, the person or people who create something are not only the best, but the ONLY ones who get the series "right". (Jack Kirby has also done this a number of times, like with the F.F., Thor, the 4W, Omac...)

I'm not sure if this was true, but... you know how DC sued Fawcett over Captain Marvel-- but MOSTLY, because CM was out-selling Superman by at least 2 to 1?  I read that WW outsold CM & SM COMBINED.

I don't think that can be right. In the mid 40s she regularly appeared in one more title than Superman, since she appeared regularly in the JSA stories in All-Star Comics. But along with the Flash and Green Lantern she was taken out of Comic Cavalcade in 1948. Sensation Comics went bimonthly in 1949 and dropped Wonder Woman's feature at the end of 1951.

Superman debuted as a quarterly in 1939, and went bimonthly in 1940 with the sixth issue. Wonder Woman debuted as a quarterly in 1942, went bimonthly with the third issue, but then went back to a quarterly schedule with the sixth (1943). To be fair, she still had a different publisher at that point (All-American rather than DC/National). The title became a bimonthly again with the sixteenth issue (1945), apparently just after Max Gaines sold most of his All-American titles to DC/National (it's the second issue to bear the DC brand again after the period in which the All-American titles dropped it).

Incidentally, DC started using an eight times a year schedule for such titles as Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman in late 1953.

Someone page me?

I do enjoy the Silver Age Wonder Woman Showcases, although in small doses. I like them for the camp factor, and the WTF were they thinking moments.

My era of Wonder Woman was the Perez Run, although I enjoy her White period.  Someday I will get the Golden Age stories, as I think the amazing in there insanity.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service